PDA

View Full Version : Article: Phantasy Star ZERO announced for the Nintendo DS!

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 06:50 AM
A brand new title in the Phantasy Star series was just announced by SEGA.
Entitled Phantasy Star ZERO, this will be the series' first outing on the Nintendo DS. ZERO is said to be a completely new game, though it will borrow heavily from the Phantasy Star Online series. This new title will feature a single-player story mode as well as multi-player online through Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection and local area networks (both up to four players). Multi modes will allow for communication through visual chat, which allows players to draw their own artwork or write their own text for their teammates to see.
Keeping in touch with its apparent predecessor, Phantasy Star ZERO will have the return of many race/job combos from Phantasy Star Online. This includes ones such as RAcast, FOmarl, HUmar and HUcaseal, but a few newcomers have also been revealed like the HUnewm and HUmarl. Furthermore, this new title will feature many new areas and lobbies to explore. Three such areas include the Glacea Ravine, Riou Snowfields and the Ozett Swamp. Information is a bit scarce on this new title, but we can expect to see more details in the coming months, as ZERO is slated for a Japanese release this winter.
Stay tuned! We'll be sure to bring you the latest info as it arrives! Special thanks goes out to Toadthroat (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=54193) over at the forum for bringing us this information! Feel free to join in the discussion (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150536)!
Update: Famitsu (http://img197.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32956_ps01_122_449lo.jpg) scans (http://img139.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=32963_ps02_122_999lo.jpg)
Update #2: The official Japanese PS0 website (http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/) has been launched! A few important notes from what the site offers include the confirmation of character creation and that there will be a total of three races (human, newman, android) and 14 race/job combos in the game. Also, the main stage will be the Earth and its moon.

likealolita
Sep 10, 2008, 09:11 AM
I am so gonna import this day one! :D

Ken_Silver
Sep 10, 2008, 09:29 AM
Chris Griffin: WwwHATTT?!?
A throwback PSO game? I don't get it at all? I liked the Beast class and the new customization... This is going to be very interesting. VERY...

S-T-H
Sep 10, 2008, 09:47 AM
I took the liberty of updating the post formatting and adding links to the scans from famitsu. I expect we'll see much more of this game come TGS.

Akaimizu
Sep 10, 2008, 10:44 AM
I wish I had a dime for every japanese game company that eventually put a Zero at the end of one of their followup games. The title (and likely the positioning of said story) might be as original as the 30th knockoff of corn flakes, but it is a fresh version of PSO that will be active. I'm sure a lot of folks will be excited for that. Here's hoping the infrastructure aspect makes it to the final release. PSO is definitely a beloved game despite the new gameplay we enjoy in PSU. I think a non-server dependant release of the game would be a nice permanent classic to have.
For some, people may wonder if a Western release of this game will change the title to Phantasy Star Alpha. Nash (Charlie) making a surprise appearance at the ending. :)

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 10:50 AM
Slight update. I just got a chance to read through the article, and it says this isn't so much a new part of PSO, but a brand new game that borrows a lot from PSO. (Literal translation: "a brand new work that is heavily influenced by the blood of PSO.") The article has been updated accordingly.

EspioKaos
Sep 10, 2008, 10:53 AM
Thanks, S-T-H! I was in a hurry when I posted this earlier (eating breakfast, getting dressed for work and typing all at once = don't try again), so I figured it would need a little work. XD

Ken_Silver
Sep 10, 2008, 11:19 AM
That makes a little more sense. But I thought that PSP borrowed heavily from PSO. I also saw the clothes on the characters and they look a bit more PSU-ish to me... kind of. I can't wait until we learn some more about this. With PSZ and PSP on the way, the Phantasy Star series is invading my handheld systems... and my wallet! =D

ngagerebel
Sep 10, 2008, 11:28 AM
have I died and gone to heaven? this is like the best news ever!

DAMASCUS
Sep 10, 2008, 11:39 AM
I...feel..a PSOrgasm coming on XD

Getintothegame
Sep 10, 2008, 11:58 AM
Oh my word. This is huge.

I will be returning if this is anything like they say it is... simply put, WOW.

ForteGunnerW
Sep 10, 2008, 01:11 PM
Sounds preety good i like the online idea but do you have to have FR codes to do online? if so that will be pointless

Tomeeboy
Sep 10, 2008, 03:04 PM
There are a few games for DS that don't require friend codes and will automatically match you up with other player (ie: Clubhouse Games, Mario Kart, etc.). Hopefully, they will incorporate some kind of matchmaking system, while still allowing you to use friend codes to play with specific people if you want to.
It will definitely be interesting to see how this functions when it finally comes out ;)

likealolita
Sep 10, 2008, 03:07 PM
Hopefully Sega will somehow persuade Nintendo to allow them to implement a lobby system a la the PSO games.

Fecesbot
Sep 10, 2008, 03:24 PM
I agree. I want the good ol' lobbies back too.

Tomeeboy
Sep 10, 2008, 03:47 PM
Given the limitations of the DS, I'm not sure that would go over too well if they recreated the lobby system. Could you imagine trying to view or move around in a lobby packed with people on a little DS screen? Although it would be nice for all the chat spam to display on a separate screen from everything else ;)

It might be kind of cool if they had smaller versions of lobbies that your party would occupy while waiting to start a mission / quest (or between gameplay sessions). It would give people a place to hang out and chat, bringing back a little bit of PSO's social aspect. I'm skeptical of any large scale meeting areas being created, though. If it's anything like other multiplayer DS games, it will basically search out three other players at random and launch you directly into a game with them once everyone is linked up.

GaNksTa
Sep 10, 2008, 04:55 PM
Yes! I happen to have a DS Emulator, so even if it comes out in Japan first I can get it instantly without importing the actual hardware. Sweeeeeet!

ngagerebel
Sep 10, 2008, 05:26 PM
if you have a DS you can play any game no matter what region its from. handhelds like the DS and PSP are not region locked like home consoles.

Omega_Weltall
Sep 10, 2008, 10:08 PM
guess my dreams of a Phantasy Star game based on the originals is truly dead ;_;

EtherForce
Sep 10, 2008, 10:33 PM
Wait a second. Does this mean SEGA is finally starting to listen to the fans?

shintaHakamashi
Sep 11, 2008, 10:34 AM
so is this why we are not getin our updates?! another s^&*@^# ps game? Sega stop making the games and f in update ur servers on time. cause right now no one is gonna buy ur games with the karma you guys have been holding. this is the same bs from pso. its gotta stop.

GaNksTa
Sep 11, 2008, 03:33 PM
That's not what I was referring to; I was saying if it comes out in Japan I wont have to wait "X" amount of weeks for it to be imported from Japan to my home. I have a DS emulator, which allows me to play DS games on my computer with no cost; it's a freeware item.. a simple Google search will get you one..

stevemack
Sep 11, 2008, 04:01 PM
I've been dreaming of this forever.
I hope the ragrappys still in it.
:D :) @_@ ;) ;D #_# $_$

Sharkyland
Sep 11, 2008, 07:26 PM
Phantasy Star Zero huh? I have a feeling it's going to screw up my fanfic. Oh, well... first I thought it was crystal chronicles.
- I guess Sega did lie about PSU being it's last "phantasy star" series... I guess lying is good.

ngagerebel
Sep 12, 2008, 02:27 AM
they need something to keep them alive... I dont think sonic games are selling... PhantasyStar has always brought them luck... PSU kinda being excluded cause i think the game itself pissed alot of people off. but PSO is still selling, people are still playing it, i think sega took a big hit closing the US PSOBB servers to try to push everyone to PSU and it didn't work.

Kendrik
Sep 12, 2008, 11:53 AM
Yep. I'm pretty excited. I bought Phantasy Star Portable just after learning of its Japanese/Asian release. I'm sure I'll be buying this as soon as it releases, too.
Love my Phantasy Star.

Sharkyland
Sep 12, 2008, 02:51 PM
The artists looks familiar... kinda looks like the person who did Lunar: Silver Star Story...

Evila
Sep 12, 2008, 04:42 PM
That's because it is. :D Their name is Toshiyuki Kubooka.

Ken_Silver
Sep 12, 2008, 05:07 PM
The news on this just keeps on getting better and better, doesn't it? XD

EspioKaos
Sep 12, 2008, 08:11 PM
Just updated the story with a link to the official site as well as a little new info.

Yusaku_Kudou
Sep 13, 2008, 11:11 AM
I only played PSO/Ver.2/PSOX in Japanese anyway, so I'm importing as soon as it's out. :D

-Chilly
Sep 13, 2008, 08:28 PM
I still dont get why the hell its being made for the friggin DS of all consoles... PSP at least has decent graphics, although I'd much prefer a 360 version of PS ZERO.... Damn you sega and your stupid ideas, get a clue.

likealolita
Sep 13, 2008, 11:09 PM
How is it a stupid idea when the DS is the best-selling system out there? If anything, this is Sega actually showing some business sense, which is truly a rarity in the course of life.

bns1991
Sep 14, 2008, 04:39 PM
This is great news. I have been getting a little bored with PSU and PSO. Can't wait until it comes to the U.S.

Illuminate
Sep 14, 2008, 10:34 PM
What I'm concerned about is, will it be imported to America?
And if not, is the DS region protected? D:
It looks so cool though!

Yggdrasill
Sep 15, 2008, 03:34 PM
No, DS is not region protected. So, you could just import and play it without any problems.
I really hope it will be launched in America anytime soon, so I could import it like crazy. Can't read any word Japanese and I don't intend to.

Illuminate
Sep 15, 2008, 09:36 PM
o.o The DS isn't region protected? That's awesome.
I'm so importing it. xD Unless if course it comes out not too long after the Japanese release, or the Japanese process looks promising.

Yggdrasill
Sep 16, 2008, 01:12 AM
Hmm, I think it's gonna take some time when this game hits America. If it is gonna be released in Japan somewhere in december ( winter ) I think it will be in the US somewhere around April-May, with luck :(

goldbrease
Sep 16, 2008, 01:51 AM
hmm from what i see this will actually be a prequel to pso. possibly whats happening on earth before p1 leaves.

Yggdrasill
Sep 16, 2008, 11:10 AM
Hmm, that's not a bad theory goldbrease. Now that you mention it, it could also be Pioneer 1 and that it takes before the explosion you saw in the intro of the PSO game. So perhaps you are one of the hunters that was working together with Red Ring Rico.

voxie
Sep 17, 2008, 01:36 PM
Yay, looking at the site, I think we may be able to hand draw all our chat symbols! XD Man I've seriously missed those.
It's just speculation, as I know no Japanese, but *shrug* who can't NOT speculate with such wonderful news!?:
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/outline/#section0

zerojeremy1
Sep 18, 2008, 07:38 PM
ah geez, i looked at the japan site and didnt like what i saw, i mean the game idea and looks are friggin awesome but it looks like u have to select the character u want to play, u dont make em urself, maybe besides the name. So set-up like a console rpg? idk i hope im wrong and it's just like the old pso with tweaks. cuz every1 of those cutscenes has the exact same characters. Even if that's the case, i still might get it :3 *weakness for pso games*

Illuminate
Sep 18, 2008, 09:01 PM
Remember the back of Phantasy Star Online's case?
And the basic SONIC, KNUCKLES, TAILS, AMY characters?
They all look basic cause SEGA doesn't customize the screenshot characters.

Kunithrayin
Apr 25, 2009, 11:07 PM
Anybody seen the promo videos yet? This game looks like it's going to be pretty amazing even if it is on a handheld.
You do customize your own character.
You do draw your own chat symbols, and you can save them for quick re-use.
There appear to be in game anime videos to explain story line.
Friends codes are used.
It seems that you can also set some specifications such as where you want to go and it will randomly select a party.
Still 6 shortcuts to set.
16 weapon classes, I think it said 350 weapons (probably 350 or more)
Mags are still around. :)
Definitely getting this game the day it comes out in english. (If I have money at the time :P)
http://phantasystar.sega.jp/pszero/#/movie/promotion

hurricane86
May 20, 2009, 12:08 PM
does anyone know when phantasy star zero comes out

yellowboze4life
Oct 8, 2009, 02:35 AM
nov 10 09