PDA

View Full Version : Article: Unscheduled Server Outage

Ryna
Apr 9, 2009, 12:08 PM
The Phantasy Star Universe and Sega of America website became inaccessible (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161699) a few hours ago. At the moment it appears no one is able to connect to the PC/PlayStation 2 or Xbox 360 servers. According to the Japanese Xbox 360 page (http://xbox360.phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=279), the Japanese team is aware of the trouble and believes it is an "issue with an American ISP." There is currently no timetable for when the game servers will be accessible again. This story will be updated as new information becomes available.

Update #1: Word has come in from SEGA via momonpso (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=11593), one of the moderators at the official PSU message board, that the problem is a Silicon Valley-wide internet outage caused by a cut fiber optic cable. For more information, please see the full story at CNET (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10216151-94.html).

Update #2: According to a post by RubyEclipse (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2285986&postcount=210), the Sega website and official forums are now accessible.

Update #3: The Xbox 360 and PC/Playstation 2 servers are now back online.

Update #4: A large number of people are experiencing laggy playing conditions and disconnections on the PC/Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 servers. In addition, it appears the fiber optic cable cut was an act of sabotage (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/04/09/BAP816VTE6.DTL&tsp=1).

Update #5: Based on the input from several people, it appears that most of the server latency has been removed.

Update #6: Despite the servers being generally accessible, players may still be prone to disconnects and other common connection issues. After a few updates, the Japanese Xbox 360 page still mentions the possibility of problems communicating with the servers. AT&T reports that full restoration should be apparent soon to their customers in the affected areas.

Update #7: A short maintenance (http://xbox360.phantasystaruniverse.jp/news/wis/?mode=view&id=280) was reported to have been held on Friday. As of now, any issues that may have resulted from the sabotage as far as the PSU servers are concerned should be taken care of.

W0LB0T
Apr 9, 2009, 12:14 PM
Just when I was almost possibly thinking of playing some, seeing as though I have nothing else to do.

Kythri
Apr 9, 2009, 12:22 PM
I'm just glad this isn't just my computer doing this, that it's a network-wide problem instead. Last thing I needed was to find out my computer was suddenly rejecting the network or something. :) Hopefully this gets fixed soon though.

Akumamaru
Apr 9, 2009, 12:25 PM
funny how the mythic map pack came out shortly before the PSU servers went down OoO;

lokey013
Apr 9, 2009, 12:25 PM
Darn....hope the issue is resolved soon...kinda want to play a bit tonight! <3

Hitwelve
Apr 9, 2009, 12:29 PM
The mythic map pack came out a few hours before. O_O I was playing it with a friend, then went to PSU and played for a while, then they shut down.

hollywood07
Apr 9, 2009, 12:35 PM
Thank you, Sega.

Reikoku na kuma
Apr 9, 2009, 12:36 PM
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...SEGAC FAILS.....again -shrugs- should I be surpised....Maybic >_>

squallyukishin
Apr 9, 2009, 12:46 PM
oh wow that bites oh well

RubyEclipse
Apr 9, 2009, 12:54 PM
Hey everyone,
PSU, the PSU Website and all of our SEGA forums are currently down - the issue is not related to SEGA or the servers, but actually a much larger problem here in parts of CA, following a cut fiber optic cable:
http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-10216151-94.html
They haven't listed any ETA on when to expect it fixed yet, but we're all keeping an eye out to see when one is posted. Just wanted to let everyone know, we'll be posting again as we get more info about AT&T/Verizon fixing things up.

Kythri
Apr 9, 2009, 01:01 PM
Well, at least the problem has been identified. Here's hoping it's fixed soon. :)

Blood831
Apr 9, 2009, 01:13 PM
Hmm... I guess I just might have to do something else for a change.. at least for today =P

Knight For Geass
Apr 9, 2009, 02:28 PM
the 360 is back up now (^^)b

aiko.
Apr 9, 2009, 02:29 PM
I logged in like 20minutes ago and PSU is back up. :D

silva9
Apr 9, 2009, 02:56 PM
You guys still sure as I can't access the official site still too! man a major pain in the neck! lol

(update it seem that the discussion forums are accessible but not the main page! )

MagraiserPR
Apr 9, 2009, 03:35 PM
WE ARE NOW ONLINE BABY!!!!

Kinako78
Apr 9, 2009, 04:13 PM
And yet everyone was so quick to blame Sega. Of course, if I'd known about it before now, I probably would have suspected a Sega-based problem, too, but from now on, I'll try not to jump to conclusions. Do you know if it's fixed for the rest of the area?

Kythri
Apr 9, 2009, 04:14 PM
Has anybody else been booted a few times since the servers came back online?

ThMUTT215
Apr 9, 2009, 04:27 PM
It's wonderful dat da servers r back now they jus need 2 fix da incredible lagg

Kythri
Apr 9, 2009, 04:29 PM
At least all you've got is lag...I've not finished a single run since the servers came back up because it keeps telling me something about the server shutting down for maintenance, and that I should check the official site...but the official site still isn't loading, either. Anybody else having this problem?

Falke
Apr 9, 2009, 04:39 PM
I'm also getting incredible lag. Sometimes it times out, too. Hopefully this'll be fixed soon.

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 05:43 PM
Very many people are saying they can connect to Phantasy Star Universe but i still can not connect to it nor can i connect to the website. This is a major bummer because I was in a mission in Parum when the connection failed but good luck guys and hope you fix it soon. This has been a problem for about 8 or 9 of my friends and we were hoping to party up and play because it's my last day with X-Box Live. Also, you may not care but my opinion on Phantasy Star Universe, I think its a great game/demo and keep up the great work hope to see those shops on the 3rd floor of Guardians Colony to open up!!! Im here to support you guys not bring you down GOOD LUCK!!!

- Dapy

Falke
Apr 9, 2009, 06:09 PM
I just saw update #4 regarding the sabotage. That's really serious! Apparently there's a $100k reward out for info.
A lot of folks are cut off from emergency services. Potentially, these idiots could be responsible for people dying because an ambulance couldn't be contacted.
I hope the authorities find the fools who did it!

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah i cant get on and im really bored because i havent had nething to do today and the day that i finnaly decide to go on and play because i havent in a long time its not working so ive had nothing to do so if any body knows why mine not be working it would be cool to let me know.

Falke
Apr 9, 2009, 06:20 PM
I know why yours isn't working. It says up there in update number 4.
Until the cable is repaired or a workaround is made, we're all going to have problems. Honestly, at this point, we should be grateful we don't get THAT MANY users on the PC version. If we had a ton we'd never get on, I bet.

Virgo_Blue
Apr 9, 2009, 06:26 PM
pretty bad.police might consider it an act of terrorism

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 06:36 PM
iight thats good because now that i finally have gotten in the mood to start playing again its bugging me that i havent played it at all today lol

Falke
Apr 9, 2009, 06:42 PM
Now you mention it, I'm surprised that word hasn't appeared in the linked article. :O

Rapping Rappy
Apr 9, 2009, 06:47 PM
I have yet been able to compleat any mission it lags out and I get a disconnect .Thank You vandels I hope you get arrested and they charge you with terrorsim, so have your chuckle for now you crud buckets!Yes I called them Crud Buckets Wishing I could call them many other colorfull names..

Anon_Fire
Apr 9, 2009, 06:59 PM
why would someone want to cut fiber optic cable?

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 07:01 PM
because they like it up the butthole

adamwan
Apr 9, 2009, 07:07 PM
psu official site is back up

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 07:08 PM
Like the way the guy done such an act in order to get some sort of satisfaction, which most likely only lasted an hour or two, now theres a $100,000 prize for his/her capture and the entire state was stripped of any emergency help which could of lead to un-thought of problems.

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 07:09 PM
Thanks

Falke
Apr 9, 2009, 07:12 PM
Seriously. Talk about biting off more than you can chew.

adamwan
Apr 9, 2009, 07:15 PM
seems like the lag's gone too

Orlando
Apr 9, 2009, 07:19 PM
wow there is no more lag

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 07:21 PM
Word

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 07:51 PM
Everyone says they can get on and there is no lag but i can still not get on

-Dapy

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 07:52 PM
Yeah im having the same problem but i cant even connect to the servers

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 07:59 PM
Me neither and it sux big time and im getting frustrated because ive been waiting to play since like 11

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 08:13 PM
Yeah ive been waiting since like 4:00 am when it turned off

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 08:22 PM
hahaha wow holy shit dude thats a long time

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 08:41 PM
yeah i know i havnt gone to sleep yet haha i still can not connect nor can my pal iM PyRo

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 09:19 PM
Please Make Another Update If People Are Still Currently Working On This Problem Because I Can Not Connect To Phantasy Star Universe For X-Box Demo ! Thank You - Dapy

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 09:30 PM
There's probably alot less known on demo issues than there is Full game issues. Good luck getting information.

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 09:32 PM
hahah dude thats the same thing im waiting for

Dapy
Apr 9, 2009, 09:41 PM
What Are You Waiting For Mega?

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 09:43 PM
are u talking about the x-box 360 demo? idk what mega is what is that?

M-I-K-E-Y
Apr 9, 2009, 09:47 PM
Uh-oh as of 10:42pm est the severs are down once again this sucks I was trying to upgrade my pallette and then BOO! Out of nowhere "sever interupt request" why why why grrrrrrr

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 09:48 PM
Mass sever kickation just occured on the 360 US side. Dont know about others

nirvash12142007
Apr 9, 2009, 09:50 PM
they may have cut the fiber optic wire so they could do another crime and not get caught by the security system its is like that old crime that was did on the show i think the name of it was top 10 greast highest in history of ameraica anyhow one type said something about the criminal calling police and sending them to another location for a false crime then that indivule went and rob the bank on the other side of town they finaly caught that criminal thanks to a police officer's gut feeling who decide to check out the other side of town where the bank was. if ya think of it all the security systems now rely on the internet and wireless as a backup take bouth those away and the place is litualy unprotected making it just a matter of leaving no other evidence those they probably thought it would be the perfect crime, the indivule or indivules anyhow who did this.

Kinako78
Apr 9, 2009, 09:54 PM
Same for PC/PS2.
And gudder, Sega isn't responsible for this mess, as was pointed out hours ago, so cool it.

BladePwnsYou
Apr 9, 2009, 10:22 PM
Yeah I was in the middle of a WB-A and we were about to go PA Frag hunting and bam, nothing's taking damage anymore. Being shot with sleep beams that do nothing. Fun!
No but srsly, what now? Moar internet terrorism? :O

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 9, 2009, 10:29 PM
Talk about a kick in the nads. I was just helping some player unlock the room for the rare monster in True darkness, as soon as he gets another player.. BOOM servers down again. I feel sorry for that guy.

Rapping Rappy
Apr 9, 2009, 10:32 PM
well hear we go again lag and being disconnected I hope this dont last to long had 2 hours of play then same thing as before me soooo sad.

Virgo_Blue
Apr 9, 2009, 10:53 PM
their is no lag...but people aswell as friends of mine are still randomly being booted from the servers(i.e loosing connections to server)

Virgo_Blue
Apr 9, 2009, 10:55 PM
lol screw it man, im jus gona come back on tomarow after maintanence..

Megadeath
Apr 9, 2009, 11:37 PM
and they also just wanna go to jail so they can meet their future husband named Bubba who will pop their butt cherrie

ThMUTT215
Apr 9, 2009, 11:43 PM
It's becomin a pain wit all did damn lagg

Dapy
Apr 10, 2009, 01:05 AM
Well i can see that the servers are obviously not up but im hoping they will open soon because I told somone about the game and he wants to try it out but anyway I was just wandering if there still doing construction on Phantasy Star Universe

BladePwnsYou
Apr 10, 2009, 02:24 AM
Well, there's no guarantee that they'll be able to do anything about it. Guess all we can do is wait and see.

Kythri
Apr 10, 2009, 02:48 AM
Servers were back up and running fine for around an hour starting at 1:00 am or so central time, then went offline again. Do we have any news of what's going on now?

xBULLYDOGG
Apr 10, 2009, 08:01 AM
US Xbox 360 servers are back up and running smoothly. I haven't encountered a connection issue for two hours now it seems pretty solid. Everything seems to be returning back to normal in my view.

Dapy
Apr 10, 2009, 12:32 PM
Well here i am talking again and my Phantasy Star Universe doesnt work and it been 1 day since last time I played and I was looking forward to playing it today but i dont know if you guys are still working on it or not because no one is posting anything about this situation! So please tell me if u guys are currently working on this disaster. - Dapy

Falke
Apr 10, 2009, 01:04 PM
It's not their job to work on the 'disaster'. It's the authories and the company that owns the cable.

BladePwnsYou
Apr 10, 2009, 02:15 PM
I thought you couldn't play anymore past yesterday because your xbox subscription expired or something?
Also PSU is working fine last I saw. Dunno what's your problem :/

Dapy
Apr 10, 2009, 04:14 PM
Yeah i no its not their job to fixit im saying fixing PSU! But did they shut down the demo forever???

Dapy
Apr 10, 2009, 06:50 PM
Did they remove the demo for good because that's what ive been hearing