PDA

View Full Version : Episode III Poll: What's your verdict?

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 08:00 PM
Im hoping and hoping that this new EpisodeIII is either just a Spin-off of PSO or the turn-based card gameplay is just a new mode in EIII. I love the free real-time combat of PSO and card battles is a totally different direction. Alot of you have expressed your disapointment with the new E3 and some of you say you're not even going to buy it. I want to poll to see what your opinion is.

mightyJoeDunn
Apr 28, 2003, 08:10 PM
Can you post a link to the site which describes/shows pictures of the new PSO?

Blenjar
Apr 28, 2003, 08:12 PM
Graphics, awesome.....If the gameplay is like Kingdom. I'll bring that game back to the store.

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 08:12 PM
Sure. IGN has some full size pics: http://cube.ign.com/articles/399/399845p1.html

theres also Sega's E3 line up:
http://www.teamxbox.com/news.php?id=4350

Corelton
Apr 28, 2003, 08:14 PM
All I have to say is that if it is turned based or based on this "card" BS I am not even going to get it

P.S. Card/Turn based -worst idea ever-

Corelton

Dhylec
Apr 28, 2003, 08:14 PM
i'll wait & see..

mightyJoeDunn
Apr 28, 2003, 08:18 PM
All I can think of to say at a time like this is cards? Lame, and why Sega why? I bought PSO for my GC without even having played it before, and I immediately fell in love with the game, but this??? I'm not even wasting my money renting it.

LoreSeeker
Apr 28, 2003, 08:19 PM
No way am I sacrificing my level 115 RAmar for a card game. I pray that they keep the Episode I & II servers up.

Blenjar
Apr 28, 2003, 08:27 PM
Cards are awesome.

Foggy_Pete
Apr 28, 2003, 08:28 PM
sega was doing something revolutionary when it first created PSO and the game and it looked like it could evolve into wonderful things. instead, the game stalled and failed to progress any further. but now, sega is trying to take its once award winning game into a totaly new field of a turned based cardgame. instead of thinking of creative new ways to expand their game they abandoned the whole premis for something much simpler. if it will be any good or not i cant tell untill ive layed my hands on it. while my outlook isnt optimistic, i have a tiny bit of faith left in sonic team

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 08:41 PM
i wonder if this is going to incorporate the GBA and E-card reader. If so looks like this will be Gamecube exclusive.

Namevah
Apr 28, 2003, 08:41 PM
People are already saying that they will not buy it based on 3 pics and a very small paragraph. No-one besides Sonic Team even knows how this will even play. What I say is hold all comments like "this is going to suck" until we get more info from E3 or something.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Namevah on 2003-04-28 18:43 ]</font>

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 08:46 PM
I can't wait till E3, anyone know when that is?
I think this is all kind of a shock to us. it'd be like hearing Sonic Adventure 3 will be Strategy game or something like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Huntley on 2003-04-28 18:55 ]</font>

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 28, 2003, 08:58 PM
Hello, i think they're doing a spin off to make fun at the failure that was Phantasy Star III Generations of Doom

Namevah
Apr 28, 2003, 08:59 PM
On 2003-04-28 18:46, Huntley wrote:
I can't wait till E3, anyone know when that is?
I think this is all kind of a shock to us. it'd be like hearing Sonic Adventure 3 will be Strategy game or something like that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Huntley on 2003-04-28 18:55 ]</font>

E3 is May 14-16

Sedyne
Apr 28, 2003, 09:02 PM
cancle that

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanX930 on 2003-04-30 05:55 ]</font>

malinko
Apr 28, 2003, 09:03 PM
Looks like they took all the models and slapped them into a level, made a new turn based engine, and made cards with the same models for every enemy! I'm at least hoping there's new areas....

Robomonke
Apr 28, 2003, 09:03 PM
From the short paragraph it appears to be basically the same game as traditional PSO but the weapons and spells are in card form. It doesn;t appear to be too big of a differance, although that thurn-based thing kinda kills the PSO genre of real time combat. :/

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 09:10 PM
If we wanted card battles we'd play Yu-Gi-Oh, come'on ST. Why fix something that isn't broken??

Davion
Apr 28, 2003, 09:37 PM
I'm looking foward to see what the game is like.

dys0r
Apr 28, 2003, 09:37 PM
Pretty *** poll options, honestly. How 'bout: STFU and wait until either it's released. Tsk, tsk. Such foolishness, people. So quick to judge a game that was just announced. LOL. Personally, I have no opinions on this new episode until I know more about it or until it's out.

- dys

[edit] Please do not use derogatory terms

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IceBlink on 2003-05-05 06:01 ]</font>

Kazalt
Apr 28, 2003, 09:38 PM
I'll give it a chance, but i'll go into it with the mentality that I'm playing a pso version of Yu-Gi-Oh!

Guntz348
Apr 28, 2003, 09:39 PM
To quote the greatest critic ever, Jay Sherman,

It stinks!!

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 09:55 PM
On 2003-04-28 19:37, dys0r wrote:
Pretty *** poll options, honestly. How 'bout: STFU and wait until either it's released. Tsk, tsk. Such foolishness, people. So quick to judge a game that was just announced. LOL. Personally, I have no opinions on this new episode until I know more about it or until it's out.

- dys

thats why theres the "im waiting till e3 option"

Lol @ Jay Sherman.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: IceBlink on 2003-05-05 06:01 ]</font>

Chibi-Chan
Apr 28, 2003, 09:57 PM
I guess i'm willing to wait and see what it is. Personally I don't have a problem with turned base RPGs. In my mind some of the best RPGs ever were turned based. Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Final Fantasy 3 (US) are excellent examples. The reason why they were so awesome was because the stories and character interaction were great, as well as the battle sequences being fun. That is the one part of PSO that I feel has always been lacking is the story. There isn't really a central dramatic story that links everyone together. The whole ragol thing is kind of weak everyone has to admit. Its true that we haven't really seen any turned based MMO RPGs.. cause it will slow things down abit, however we shouldn't write it off until we've seen it finished. For now i'll trust that they are going to do this right, hopefully they wont break that trust.

Huntley
Apr 28, 2003, 10:00 PM
im trusting Sonic team with this one. hopefully this will be cleared up by E3, thats fine thats there's been other rpgs that are turn based and good but to change from RT to TB seems a bit drastic and unexpected.

Elusive_Llama
Apr 29, 2003, 01:10 AM
Extremely lame. Turn based card battle is simply not what PSO is about. It's like taking the PSO franchise and making it into a fishing game.

SpellBoy
Apr 29, 2003, 01:28 AM
Honestly, I'm an old school Phantasy Star player. I boiled blood when they said that PS4 would be the last. *sigh*

So, here I am and lo' and behold they say they're going to do PSO online. Two things hit the old cabasa:

1. WTF? No way in hell! I want to scope Dark Force in a good old classic RPG. Screw Final Fantasy/Dragon Warrior.

2. Hmmm....can I actually get to play Wren? Or a close varient?

So, I was one of thoes bastards that got PSO on day one and registered. What did I find? Heaven! It's amazing. A good idea, taken in a VERY good direction.

Now this....good idea? No. Good direction? No. Will I buy, HELL NO...well, maybe. Depends, this all might be some crazy April fools gone horribly wrong. I'm still hoping. But after E3 I'll shut up and then deside.

xvxphoenix
Apr 29, 2003, 02:13 AM
I wont say that I wont give it a shot.. and I AM waiting until after E3 to make a judgement call.. but I can for fact say right now that I am terribly displeased. If they want to add this in as an "alternative" way of playing then that is fine. But to take a tried and true formula that they have established with Ep 1 and 2 and throw it away because they want to try something new is just blasphemous in my opinion. If they wanted to make a PSO with cards then make it a seperate entity and give us the Ep. 3 we all want!!!

elfin
Apr 29, 2003, 02:47 AM
my point exactly.

Nidarrock
Apr 29, 2003, 09:50 AM
I've decided to hold off until E3 or until something is clearly revealed HOW this game will work. If it is turn based with cards I'm passing on it. If it is a side thing then I will give it shot.

The_Pew
Apr 29, 2003, 10:01 AM
Why SEGA? Why? Whhhhy?...

Chronoslash
Apr 29, 2003, 10:09 AM
Don't be too quick to condemn the game yet. Who knows? Maybe ST will make it into a great game. Is it the real time game we all know and love? No. But I've been surprised before, as has anyone who's been into video games for very long.

My vote? I'll wait and see. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cheepcheep.gif

Raist
Apr 29, 2003, 10:18 AM
I'm not going to vote as this poll doesn't have any posotive opinion options. I'm really looking forward to trying this game out. After 3 versions of basically the same thing with only slight changes in story line, the game was getting a bit stale.

In all honesty if the next PSO was just the same game with more weapons and enemies I wouldn't be very excited about it, but this has deffinitly gotten my attention.

Davka
Apr 29, 2003, 10:49 AM
ever since I played version 1 the first month it went online I swore to myself I'd ride out the servers until the very end. I'll be there to buy ep. III. Won't know if I like it until I try it. I'm into playing other video games unlike the majority of people on pso who aren't even real gamers. They're just casual gamers. So maybe something new will be an interesting change for most of us. After 3 versions of basically the same thing pso is getting monotonous don't you think?

Spacepest
Apr 29, 2003, 11:24 AM
I'm an ollllld school phantasy star player, and I've played the original turn based games.

Yes, I enjoyed them, but...turn based games are fun to go through once, not MULTIPLE TIMES for hundreds upon hundreds of hours, like all we PSO players have done. If this game were being released offline only and expanded on the original phantasy star story, it wouldn't be too bad, but to take it online sounds BORING to me.

ST, this new game had better be very INNOVATIVE for me to overcome my disappointment.

Sedyne
Apr 29, 2003, 04:00 PM
I've poured my heart and soul into the community that is PSO. I've never ever played PSO for the gameplay, It's just too boring. If I played a game for it's gameplay I'd play Counter-Strike, Shinobi, or dead to rights which I do play. PSO is much more than just a game to me, if the community of Episode 3 sucks, than I shall quit. If car battling makes the community a crapier place to be, I will quit. As for what happens, i really do hope this is just another mode added to the game.

Joe-Azlin
Apr 29, 2003, 04:09 PM
With Sega's good games like Sonic and PSO why did they go in to card playing world. I feel like im going to play a game a Yu-Gi-Oh or something like that. I feel that they could have done a lot better, but I will still prolly give it a try at the E3 show.

Logical2u
Apr 29, 2003, 04:09 PM
This'll be good. A STRATEGIC CARD GAME??!??!! Can anyone say 'Final Fantasy Tactics'? I can't wait to see how boss battles, classes, rares, mags and techniques come into play.
Maybe when you defeat a monster, everyone gets its drop. But would you have to go into battle with boxes?
And how would you equip a different weapon on the fly if it's turn based? (Final Fantasy Tactics-Ish Maybe?)

NICEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

DemonQueen
Apr 29, 2003, 05:03 PM
WHYYYYYY SEGA WHYYYYY!! What were they thinking?! How can you play an online RPG adventure card game if you really think about it?!? It would probably be automatic walking, this would be way to tedious to deal with since you and your teamates would have to stick together. As soon as you take 2 hours to finish one level because someone is eating while they play or something you know it'll be chaos. Even if you get to solo but play with others at same time whats the point of online playing? I think it'll be a drag because its not based on how other card games are. Its not yu-gi-oh where your in a tournament or walkin around the city for hoots. NO! You in space landing on a planet to play cards with strange fanged creatures, I'm wondering how they will make sense of this. Yes you can probably use cards to attack and whatnot but seriously after playing our current pso's you think we will settle for ok dam my piece of paper isnt good so lets die hmm ok! LoL. I just cant see this working. Its like if they had pso chess, its retarted! I do hope this is a joke or they improve it as cards are your equipment basis. But that will be odd I think. And team battles, I can understand maybe thats what they mean by online playing. You have team battles! But who gets what cards if u cant run at them or anything. Only way i can immagine it is if you draw cards and its your turn then you attack and dmg 1 or more monsters. How cool does that sound eh? This is only my oppinion and prediction for whats to come. I think this game will be noobie based because of its simplicity and shallow depth. And if they make it into a yu-gi-oh type game. Its not worthy to the PSO name! "O yes my HU has such a good power deck I am so good!" I dont see this idea going through at all. It can be something to the walk around with your group till you have to draw out your mighty decks to fight squiddyz in the sea! My cards wont get watterlogged will yours? Who is greatest find out next time on PSOCRGC! LOL ST what have you done! This is so not the game made for cards! While screenshots show the Attack Cards. How complicated! LoL I just dont see this as a award winning thing. I hope people at E3 showing will bOO the shit outta it LOL and then they'll cry and make GOOD online compatible games!

Eum
Apr 29, 2003, 05:23 PM
1. Deja vu. This is exactly what happened when Phantasy Star Online was announced for Dreamcast. Thousands of moronic/closed-minded/idiotic fanboys flocked to message boards and posted insane and dramatic posts. Posts like Sean's. I must say, I think it's laughable. It's laughable that you people are so sad you can't embrace change. Phantasy Star Online is not as widely popular as some of you may think, and expecting numerous sequels without changes which work to appeal to another group of gamers is completely, and utterly ignorant. Sonic Team, despite popular belief, is not in this for your satisfaction. They're in this for profit, and they intend to gain such.

2. Stop talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! as if it's the basis of all TCGs. Yu-Gi-Oh! is incredibly new, both in Japan and the surrounding world in terms of TCG-gaming. Assuming PSO's latest incarnation had anything to do with Yu-Gi-Oh is not only incredibly amusing, but horribly sad.

Rolf_Landale
Apr 29, 2003, 05:25 PM
I'll wait.

Huntley
Apr 29, 2003, 07:58 PM
Im thinking, maybe theres alot more to this game than we could possibly imagine and we have no idea what a great game we're in store for...OR this is a Huge disappointment and this really is what the game will be like. E3, the show might decide the fate of the game.

Shattered_weasel
Apr 29, 2003, 08:08 PM
The reason PSO is great is because of its Non-Turn based System. If they did change it a u take a turn then i take turn system or into a TCG i will probably bacome very angry

DemonQueen
Apr 30, 2003, 12:06 AM
god dam most of our current pso's are big with trades and if its anything like other pso's it will be part TCG so shuv it! and if it has the use of cards to battle every1 has the right to say it can be a yu-gi-oh type! and dont say its not because u have no idea! people dont know what opinions and theorys are im guessing! so if you're gonna say people are wrong and your facts have no backbone and your not part of ST.......know your place

so for #3 STFU! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

X-thirteen
Apr 30, 2003, 01:28 AM
well... i cant stand turn based rpgs... so i think ill pass on this new pso.

rena-ko
Apr 30, 2003, 06:04 AM
e3

until then i don't really try to assume what this game will be like...

i have high hopes on either a spin off or a seperate game mode (i think its a spin off). either way, as long as this is not the future of pso, then i'll look forward to it and maybe even enjoy it.

Sedyne
Apr 30, 2003, 08:01 AM
On 2003-04-29 15:23, Eum wrote:
1. Deja vu. This is exactly what happened when Phantasy Star Online was announced for Dreamcast. Thousands of moronic/closed-minded/idiotic fanboys flocked to message boards and posted insane and dramatic posts. Posts like Sean's. I must say, I think it's laughable. It's laughable that you people are so sad you can't embrace change. Phantasy Star Online is not as widely popular as some of you may think, and expecting numerous sequels without changes which work to appeal to another group of gamers is completely, and utterly ignorant. Sonic Team, despite popular belief, is not in this for your satisfaction. They're in this for profit, and they intend to gain such.

2. Stop talking about Yu-Gi-Oh! as if it's the basis of all TCGs. Yu-Gi-Oh! is incredibly new, both in Japan and the surrounding world in terms of TCG-gaming. Assuming PSO's latest incarnation had anything to do with Yu-Gi-Oh is not only incredibly amusing, but horribly sad.

The post I made about quitting PSO for life i meant because i figured the online community would blooww. n a turn based RPG such as what it may "seem" to turn into. I made a new post speaking of why I said that. I'll give EP3 a try as long as I here the community is strong and good, If the card-battle system makes a community any less of what it is now...i will quit. I just don't feel as of yet that from what's show it'll be a very strong game that holds others attention....but hey I could be wrong.

Sedyne
Apr 30, 2003, 08:13 AM
Aside from game-play...this game's graphics look beutiful so far...

Huntley
Apr 30, 2003, 04:23 PM
Yes i have to say the graphics look like a huge improvement.

Mag_Launcher
Apr 30, 2003, 06:17 PM
I'm sorry, but this doesn't deserve to be called the official Episode 3.

I can see it now, bunch of FOmars with names like "Yugi", "Kaiba", and "P0k3m0nM@s7a". *shudders*

I'm a sucker for PSO and I'll most likely go clinically insane and buy it anyway, but I dunno... this... atrocity... is not what I see as the future of PSO.

Heart of the cards MY ASS!

Chernabog
Apr 30, 2003, 08:10 PM
I'll just wait until E3 to really harp on it, but I have a bad feeling about the whole card thing. It may be what some people are into, but it's not what I want for PSO ep3.

Yoda86
Apr 30, 2003, 08:21 PM
I'll wait till E3 to make my decision. I think the game COULD have some potential and might be a little underrated right now (only three pics and no video). I'll give the game a try and see how I like it though (not saying I'll buy it the day it comes out).

Moogy
Apr 30, 2003, 08:30 PM
I think it'll be good. It looks like, to me, at least, that it will be action battle, just with cards for equipment and stuff. Plus you can have monsters fight for you. I don't care what anyone says, it'll be DAMN fun to assault people with Del Lilies and Ill Gills.

saffaya
May 1, 2003, 04:28 PM
On 2003-04-28 19:57, Chibi-Chan wrote:
Personally I don't have a problem with turned base RPGs. In my mind some of the best RPGs ever were turned based. Lunar, Lunar Eternal Blue, and Final Fantasy 3 (US) are excellent examples.

I was already playing turn based RPG in 1984, Exodus : Ultima III on my Atari 800 XL. So, you see, I've seen enough of turn based RPGs.
I would never have poured 2500+ hours in PSO if it had been turn based.
Lunar ? FF3 ? sure look like fine RPGs to me. Just how old are they now ?
If there were other online action/rpg out there, I wouldn't mind so much.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: saffaya on 2003-05-01 14:33 ]</font>

RellikTakahashi
May 1, 2003, 08:20 PM
Dont get me wrong, those are some pretty phat graphics, BUT CARDS AND TURN BASED?!?!! What are they trying to do kill off sega permently!? I bet it'll be Pay 2 Play too. Not a chance in the world I'm gonna get it.

Huntley
May 4, 2003, 09:17 PM
why wouldnt they release more details?

Moleman
May 5, 2003, 05:45 AM
Ok, here's what I think (I'm sure you were all waiting for this). I think, a card game is a great idea, but it should be its own game, not a "legit" episode. See what I mean? Like they were making PSO card battle for GBA. Like that, but on better systems (GCN, XBoX, you know what I mean).Episode III should be real time.

jimmer_jammer
May 5, 2003, 05:33 PM
It's the gayest form of phantasy star to date. God, I hope they don't release this for xbox... Where the hell is REAL episode 3?

Derkin
May 5, 2003, 06:23 PM
Where is the "ST is just trying to ride the Yu-Gi-Oh! wave!" option?

Fenos
May 6, 2003, 01:36 AM
OH MY GOD, there could be no more stupid concept for this game. Dman this man, Im usually easy with change, but this is just rediculous !! CARDS....CARDS!!!!....Are you serious. Sega.. a world renown software developer, and creator of one of the best online experiences ever couldnt find anythin better to do with the series, than to add CARDS. What have they been doing for the past 3 years ? Picking there nose ? This better be just an option of the game. How could you change the real time battling into some childs YuGi-Oh playground. Jesus...TAKE ME NOW!!!!!!!!!

Tulathis
May 6, 2003, 01:52 AM
why wouldnt they release more details?
Game companies like to release information on major games like this at a time when that information will get the most attention from the media. So Sega is waiting until E3, the biggest US game convetion to reveal details about this and many other upcoming titles. Since none of us know more than what a couple of paragraphs and screenshots have told us, I strongly suggest waiting until at least May 12th before passing judgement on this one.

Moleman
May 6, 2003, 05:51 AM
Be whining babies if you want, lost kingdoms is FUN.

Symtex
May 6, 2003, 09:00 AM
On 2003-05-06 03:51, Moleman wrote:
Be whining babies if you want, lost kingdoms is FUN.

no it's not.

SammaeltheDark
May 7, 2003, 08:56 PM
Can't believe I didn't respond to this topic earlier...
Anyhow, forgive me if this has been said before, but I see this as Sega trying to widen the PSO fanbase. If they made Ep3 like current PSO? It would kill the income from the current PSO. So Sega makes it a completely different genre of game to try to get more money from a) people who like PS so much they'll play any sequal and b) people who like collectable card games. This is kinda cruel to lovers of the series who have to put up with a new type of game in order to see the continuation of the series, but, hey, money is money.

Syphonhail
May 7, 2003, 10:50 PM
Everybody needs to stop bashing on this game!!!! You've seen three Pics. maybe there from a new type of challange mode. Besides it looks more like Megaman Battle network series than Lost kingdoms or Pokemon/YUgayOH. So just give it a chance.