PDA

View Full Version : Article: English PC/PS2 PSU Servers Closing March 31, 2010

EspioKaos
Jan 21, 2010, 04:08 PM
Right on the heels of Tuesday's MAG+ announcement comes some saddening news for the local PC/PS2 Phantasy Star Universe servers. GM Edward posted on the official forum (http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=310166) that the English PC/PS2 servers will be closing Wednesday, March 31, 2010. Next week's update on January 29 will be the PC/PS2 version's final update.

As of January 29, 2010, no new PC/PS2 subscriptions will be available for purchase, however any players who are subscribed as of that time will be able to continue playing for free for the remaining two months until service is ended. Keep in mind that this applies only to the PC/PS2 version of Phantasy Star Universe. The Xbox 360 version will continue to be supported with future content updates.

PSOW user Artea (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=46160) has created a thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174204) detailing this news. Feel free to join the discussion to share your memories of the game's past or vent your frustrations (responsibly, of course).

RIP English PC/PS2 PSU

October 24, 2006 - March 31, 2010

xBULLYDOGG
Jan 21, 2010, 04:18 PM
Anyone thinking of joining the 360 servers I would hope you do it before we get MAG+. This way (obviously) you can regain some losses and build yourself back up. Good luck.

Dhylec
Jan 21, 2010, 04:31 PM
It was fun while it lasted. RIP PC/PS2 PSU.

Neith
Jan 21, 2010, 04:51 PM
Amazed the servers lasted this long, the game had been dead for months. Even though I played since launch, I don't really feel sad that the servers are closing- PSU was a very mixed bag for me so I'm pretty unphased.
Still, R.I.P. PC/PS2 PSU.

Max B
Jan 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
It has been said that there is a suprise for the Pso series seeing as its the 10th year.

kojikatsuya
Jan 21, 2010, 05:27 PM
Wow, that sucks. I haven't been playing as long as most of the people here, but I do enjoy PSU and made a lot of friends here. Well, if any PS2/PC players are looking for help, I'll do my best to get you up there in time for MAG+

Mike
Jan 21, 2010, 06:23 PM
March 31st? That's some short notice.

Macman
Jan 21, 2010, 07:19 PM
I never was much on PSU, but knowing the people who do play on those platforms won't be able to go online soon kind of depresses me.
Who knows, maybe this will give rise to an alternative to recoup the player's losses.

zandra117
Jan 21, 2010, 08:11 PM
I can see this as a positive thing. Now that they will be focusing entirely on the 360 there is a JP PSU community there that share servers with us. I'm expecting massive updates to come. Plus there will be a fair amount of people moving to the 360 side from pc/ps2 and the server population will increase. Now if Sega can get PSU into the 360 Games on Demand feature then the game will be booming again.

ROCKSTEPH
Jan 21, 2010, 08:24 PM
If only it was the day after... Oh well

BWS-1
Jan 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
Already 10 years; it feels like yesterday as well as ''another life ago'' that I haven't played or even desired to play PSO/PSU. And just like last time with DCver2, I come back just in time... for the funerals.
Can't wait to see what they are bringing us in March... PSP2 US/EU release maybe? I'd rather not hope too much.

Imatron_
Jan 21, 2010, 09:59 PM
Well, think SEGA will give our freinds on the PS2 versions a break and give them a way to transfer their data over to the 360 servers? It would be great if SEGA also released the original PSU game as X Box live downloadable content, since PSU disc may be scarce in some places.

MegaZoneXE
Jan 21, 2010, 10:04 PM
*carries guardian licence to headquarters*
"nice, very nice...... DiEND

Ryonai
Jan 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Wow, I knew it was coming, but still. I just recently switched from PC to Xbox and now I'm glad that I did.

lostinseganet
Jan 21, 2010, 11:02 PM
Sega....I stop playing after realizing that I was paying for a worser experience that someone else "JPN" was paying for. Sega stated that they would treat psu differently than pso. JPN was way infront of US and the EU.

BIG OLAF
Jan 21, 2010, 11:19 PM
This is no surprise, as people have stated. Sega is simply cutting their losses. They finally realized that the handful of players' monthly subscription fee on PC/PS2 wasn't breaking even with the cost of running the server. As a 360-side player, I'll be glad to help out any migrating PC/PS2 players, Ellis Island-style.

gordon/alpha999
Jan 21, 2010, 11:21 PM
lol mega

gordon/alpha999
Jan 21, 2010, 11:30 PM
well people its been a great 2 years and i enjoyed it all hopefully sega wil transport our data to 360 ;) that will be terrific :) now to enjoy the last months of our little server :) i think i was hit the most
CYA ON PSZ PSP2 and next gen of PS !!!!!!!!!!!!

Deco_Bryl
Jan 21, 2010, 11:48 PM
I'm so sad. *sob* PSU PS2 was my first online game. Later, I upgraded to the PC version. I had plenty of good times there. I knew this was gonna happen, but it still hit me pretty hard.

Farewell, PSU PC/PS2. Thanks for everything. ;.;

Niered
Jan 21, 2010, 11:55 PM
Honestly? Good riddance. I dont think its any surprise, especially to members of this site that this happened. PSU has always been the red-headed stepchild.
We can now only pray that sega is working on a worthy successor to PSO.

ErtaiClou
Jan 22, 2010, 12:49 AM
Short notice indeed. Good scam Sega, take the 180 day subscriptions and run.

Mazarushi08
Jan 22, 2010, 03:06 AM
So it finally happened lol. Ah well, see you guys at the funeral.

Elwain
Jan 22, 2010, 10:19 AM
Sad to say, it was time.
RIP PSU PC/PS2.

Danny_Dark
Jan 22, 2010, 12:15 PM
PSU...Rest In Peace...

Mimo
Jan 22, 2010, 03:59 PM
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?t=310267

Powder Keg
Jan 22, 2010, 04:16 PM
Given the population, it was bound to happen eventually. It's still sad to hear, as your work and equipment will soon vanish.
Here's to hoping the same mistakes are not made in the next installment.

DAMASCUS
Jan 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
I hadn't canceled my PSU subscription since the beginning. Just two weeks ago I decided to take a break until MAG+ was announced. Just like that its going to be game over. Unbelievable....but not.
At least I won't have to pay to come back for the last round to say bye to everyone. FFXIII here I come.

BWS-1
Jan 22, 2010, 06:33 PM
Actually, that mistake is a mistake that had happened in virtually all PREVIOUS installments.
Hard to nurture any futile form of hope that it won't happen again, AGAIN.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Jan 23, 2010, 12:33 AM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL TIME FOR MY FRIEND TO RUN HIS PRIVATE SURVER!!!!
Can't wait for the new psu or pso......? I heard a rumor that it's gonna be on the wii next time.

SubstanceD
Jan 23, 2010, 07:33 AM
I was a little shocked when I first heard the news but now that I've had some time to think about it I guess i really shouldn't be all that surprised. PSU in general ( at least on the home consoles and the PC ) has been something of a dissapointment and Sega hasn't really supported the game as well as they should have. It also probably hasn't helped that alot of PS2 and PC PSU players have probably jumped ship to PSP and PSP2.
I wonder how long the 360 servers will stay up, I kind of doubt that there are/were more PSU 360 gamers around the world then there are/were PSU gameres on the PS2 and the PC.

yasha_mikage
Jan 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
So if i have an account that is currently inactive, will i be able to join on this too or will i need to renew first? The announcement is a little self-contradicting.

Neith
Jan 23, 2010, 08:41 AM
As long as you've had an active account at some point during PSU's lifespan, you'll be able to play once the free period starts. Edward clarified this on the boards. Your account doesn't need to be active now.

yasha_mikage
Jan 23, 2010, 08:42 AM
Nevermind. I read the thing a little closer and got my answer. Now i just gotta go dig out my copy of the game and reinstall it.

Mazarushi08
Jan 23, 2010, 08:51 AM
See you in December when FFXIV comes out XD

whispers
Jan 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
awww crud my quarter finally ran out. transferrin chars/items to 360 would be the ultimate! who wants to look like a nub again? great timin considering i just renewed 2 180 day subs....

T_Esquire
Jan 23, 2010, 12:52 PM
This sounds like the same thing they've been doing since PSO v1. Close the English servers while keeping the Japanese servers running indefinitely. That's the only saving grace of the 360 version, the fact that the servers are integrated. While I'm not surprised, I am upset that they'd still do this. Sega has never liked the US, thanks in no small part to PSO v1. I'm sure if SoA had charged us for online access from the beginning we'd not be seeing Sega shutting down our servers with every iteration.

Meta77
Jan 23, 2010, 12:59 PM
This is the best news ive heard in a long time. maybe now they can focus on making a new pso game for next gen systems.

silva9
Jan 23, 2010, 01:41 PM
So much time and work i put into this game all for nothing wow!! so pissed that it all comes to and end now, as this shouldn't be Sega should have taken more time to do this game right not make psp version and develop Phantasy star 0 for the ds don't see that game doing well ether in the long run there trying to do to much on a small handled system that was not meant for an online mmo ! When will Sega learn there lesson?

elektra018
Jan 23, 2010, 04:35 PM
Thats lame all this work for my character gone. I wish everyone could transfer their characters to xbox.

Krupp
Jan 24, 2010, 08:28 AM
Wrong. The 360 version is still going anyway, NA PSU wasn;t getting updates that were not already released in Japan. Thus, it was not in the way for developing another game.. most of PSUs content was already on the disc and needed to just be unlocked.. Anyway Sega they just proven PSU was not in the way of any development by recently making PSZ and PSP2. It's just sad news for everyone who was actively playing on the server.

xjustsumloser
Jan 24, 2010, 06:40 PM
WRONG, there were A LOT more people on 360 than there were on PC/PS2. I was a 360 player, but had a friend who played on PS2. It does not even compare. Good riddance I say, as the PS2 has always been holding PSU back. A game released on 360 and PC, both systems that have hard drives to update the game, and then PS2.... The bastard version of the game. Honestly I think the PS2 version was just made to help sales, as the install base of the PS2 consoles is huge.

Mazarushi08
Jan 24, 2010, 08:32 PM
daaam...owned..

BWS-1
Jan 24, 2010, 08:58 PM
If I could transfer my character to OFFLINE, you know, like back in PSO where a character could be used online and/or offline anywhere, I'd be happy. Well, content. It doesn't look like that's gonna happen either. This is worst than the death of the Dreamcast PSO ver2 servers...

DAMASCUS
Jan 24, 2010, 10:02 PM
I might add to clarify that all of the new content they are enjoying in Japan is PC only but can be partially enjoyed by PS2 players. What are the chances you'll see these updates on XBox? Sadly...non. Lets see how long they last on zero updates...

DarkShadowX
Jan 25, 2010, 05:16 PM
And with this the curtain comes to a close. While its sad to see this happen, it was a long time coming due to the sheer lack of updates and support we got from SEGA. I can only hope that they do indeed focus on updating the 360 version of the game even tho I won't be restarting on 360. I'd hate for them to update the game a bit then suddenly stop for months on end (Eternal X-Mas PSOX anyone?).
I'll play on the PC/PS2 Servers til the end and finally hang my PSU hat for good, no 360 or JP servers for me. This game, for all of its obvious faults and sadly unused potential, was a fun game for me either way and a great run and gave me some good memories and friends who I still stay in contact with. I'll be glad to give this game a good send off, one that I never got the chance to do for any of the versions of PSO.
While I look forward to a possible release of US/EU PSP2, I hope for a new installment to the Phantasy Star series, and hope they learn from their mistakes so that the next one will be a game truly worth playing, whether it be an offline RPG or an ORPG.
PSO and PSU gave me a great load of memories, both happy and sad, and a great many friends. These past 10 years playing these 2 games seem like they only happened yesterday, but also seem like they were so far gone. I thank everyone I've played with on either game, and who I've talked to on the forums. YOU made this game worth playing. I'll still be checking on PSOW every now and then so I hope you all keep in touch.
Til next we meet....
PSO Veteran from DC Day 1: Outtrigger (DC) and Karsh (GC)
PSU Veteran from Day 1: DarkShadowX (Cast) 10/24/2006-03/31/2010
R.I.P. PSU

ROCKSTEPH
Jan 25, 2010, 05:42 PM
Amen.

Larian
Jan 25, 2010, 06:10 PM
Can I throw my hat in for petition of character transfers... =/
My long time love...You will be missed...
Here is to a great run guys...Lets stay friends forever!! =D

Zabrio
Jan 25, 2010, 07:03 PM
The Transfer Characters to 360 idea is nice and all, but I'm not going to shell out the money for not only a new system but also having to pay for a new game + an expansion only to have endless winter and then a few months later for the whole server to shut down. I learned my lesson with PSO, stick with one system cause when one server goes down the rest will soon follow >>.

Hopefully they will fully unlock offline mode and give us a common box so that those of us who can't/don't want to buy a 360 just for PSU so we can at least enjoy some of the new weapons we never got (tiga de ragan >>), though i don't have high hopes ;_;

the sega shop
Jan 25, 2010, 09:02 PM
Lets just say that no matter how good the game was, if it isn`t shut down in a humane manner how can you expect people to play the sequal/follow ups? give the people thier chars in offline mode at least, you just go ahead and delete them & your deleting your future sales! and remmember also, all 360 players are going to watch how you treat pc/ps2 players, I haven`t stopped paying for this game since it came out & i do not expect to just have my 5000+ hours of time deleted with nothing to show for it! i am sure there are players on pc/ps2 with a lot more time clocked up
and how the F can you deprive them of not seeing the weapons released that we have waited years for?
the SEGA shop, Xbox360-side

Berserk Splitter
Jan 25, 2010, 11:58 PM
Well it was fun while it lasted guess I should dust off my subscription >_> Sega is the worst -_-;

goldbrease
Jan 26, 2010, 01:51 AM
good job sega, kill the US player base.

Reikoku na kuma
Jan 27, 2010, 02:59 PM
lol This is ridiculous but -sigh- i been saying this most of my time on PSU and it especially aplies ao...SEGAC FAILS...plain and simple. But meh w/e i'm done with SEGAC and PSU so i'll be awaiting to play FF 14 at least square knows how to run an MMO properly from what i hard from my buddies who play FF11.

gordon/alpha999
Jan 27, 2010, 06:51 PM
come to psobb ultima guys :) its awsome

gratefulgriz
Feb 2, 2010, 12:25 AM
well shucks, i missed the cutoff date (jan 29th) to re-sub; RIP LadyDatura!!!

Jikap
Feb 23, 2010, 09:11 AM
Actually, i missed that as well... and a month of the free time caused by the same misunderstanding =_=
in reality, we can both log inn and start playing at anytime before they close down, as long as we had a subscription sometime along the PSU lifetime ^^;