PDA

View Full Version : Article: Phantasy Star Online 2 Gameplay Video and Screenshots

Ryna
Apr 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
The first gameplay videos and screenshots from Phantasy Star Online 2 were revealed to the public earlier today at the Japanese Infinity Gran Prix event. You can view the video below or on this Livestream page (http://livestre.am/J6yz).

<iframe width="560" height="340" src="http://cdn.livestream.com/embed/gearsbeta?layout=4&amp;clip=pla_13162bb7-6ccf-4901-9888-78f8b3d9bb80&amp;autoplay=false" style="border:0;outline:0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
Jump to the 1 hour 59 minute mark to see the PSO2 Gameplay Video.
Based on the text in the video, Phantasy Star Online 2 will include:

Randomized dungeons

Weather Effects

Third-Person Shooting Mode for Shooting

Jumping

Random Mission Events

http://www.pso-world.com/images/news/04-24-11/hunewearl.jpg
HUnewearl
In addition, the 4gamer website has several high-resolution screenshots! The screenshots feature close-ups of the user-interface, character designs, and cut-in-chat. If you look closely, you'll see Section IDs on the player outfits! You can the screenshots here (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2622276&postcount=46) and on the 4gamer website (http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20110424001/).

http://www.pso-world.com/images/news/04-24-11/action-1.jpg
Four players in a Forest setting
Credit goes to xBladeM6x (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=53043) for providing the video link and Mike (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/member.php?u=290) for providing links to the screenshots. You can join in on the discussion in this forum thread (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187206)!

DieannaKill
Apr 24, 2011, 11:35 AM
YESSSSSS <3 Hope i get in the alpha :D

Endu_Landale
Apr 24, 2011, 12:13 PM
Oh my, I think I just dropped a load of rainbows in my pants.

Keyblade59
Apr 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
If this has already blown me away I wonder what the rest of the game content will do, lol.
So happy to see PSO2 screenshots, and can't wait to see what else they will have instored.

Keyblade59
Apr 24, 2011, 12:16 PM
If this has already blown me away I wonder what the rest of the game content will do, lol.
So happy to see PSO2 screenshots, and can't wait to see what else they will have instored.

Vintasticvin
Apr 24, 2011, 12:46 PM
WOWZA the HUnewearl looks.... Skimpy but attractive >_> and hoping for new areas rather than the big four (Forest, Cave, Mines, Ruins) Hopfully Sega keeps rolling this good and all you nay sayers HUSH we dont want your hate jinking Sega >___<

Ark22
Apr 24, 2011, 12:56 PM
rpgsite.net/news/1080/phan*tasy-star-online-2-details-rev*ealed.html
It mentions alot of great details.Was up for 3 hours now.Check it out.

ChronoTrigga
Apr 24, 2011, 01:18 PM
I just splooged my e-panties.

Ovada
Apr 24, 2011, 01:25 PM
#winning, lol
Best comment ever XD

Ovada
Apr 24, 2011, 01:28 PM
Is it bad that I'm most excited about cut-ins making a comeback? n.n
I love those!

Neo Flint
Apr 24, 2011, 01:35 PM
No screen shots for casts? ._.

blackmajik2021
Apr 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
stoked to see the designs arent like psu generic shlock!
the hunwearl looks pretty rad

Endu_Landale
Apr 24, 2011, 01:58 PM
No, not at all. My brain exploding from how detailed those cut-ins are :p

Aeiku
Apr 24, 2011, 02:18 PM
The designs look the same as from PSO which is awesome.

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 02:24 PM
Definitely hyped for this.

Ovada
Apr 24, 2011, 02:58 PM
Methinks it's because they're crazy-awesome as always, and they were afraid that they would steal the show XD
I'd love to see what kind of SUV-ish mechanic will be introduced ^^

Endu_Landale
Apr 24, 2011, 03:05 PM
Yes that is definately a huge bonus to me. I love that they really listened and went with a more serious/detailed art style like PSO. The updated Humar armor really did it for me. Plus in the video I noticed the music was more PSO like and I loved it, they flashed BGM on the screen a few times so I'm guessing they're going back to PSO for that one too. Oh man, I thought this month couldn't get any better after the huge reveals for Mass Effect 3 but I stand corrected.

Endu_Landale
Apr 24, 2011, 03:06 PM
Sakai-san, I'm sorry for ever doubting you :)

Vashyron
Apr 24, 2011, 03:50 PM
There is artwork at the start of the video on "RAcasts" and "RAcaseals" presumably.

MegaZoneXE
Apr 24, 2011, 04:50 PM
Anyone notice no mags yet?

HUcast_Josh
Apr 24, 2011, 05:01 PM
Holy Freakin' cheese nipples! Better come out on 360!!!

Lunariancrystal
Apr 24, 2011, 05:11 PM
Looks like they merged PSU art with PSO art a little which is fine. The fact that you can jump is pretty cool imo if it works well.
I hope you can't just jump up on a cliff to hide from an enemy. Regardless I'm looking forward to this.
Oh yeah...The music isn't retarded anymore like in PSU. If that song in the background and at start was from the game music at least! :)

Ryoten
Apr 24, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hold on, I'm going to need a clean-up crew for this one...I came everywhere just seeing those visuals & weapons.

Akaimizu
Apr 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
Impressive so far. That's all I have to say. (Though the funny in me wants to say, "Pig tails that move more independently and realistic. Oh yeah!") Still, it's interesting that while the face portraits are up in chat, the head is still animating like the action character in play. The music definitely throws more of the dark electronic sound in there, you can definitely tell that (at least the piece shown) they were really trying to go for that more experimental (PSO) type of compositions.

r00tabaga
Apr 24, 2011, 05:40 PM
Not to be Debbie Downer, but where's the MAGS ??? This is PS-"O" isn't it!

Kevin PSO
Apr 24, 2011, 06:35 PM
Looks like the atmosphere of PSO mixed in with the style of PSU. I'm not sure about this; especially since as of now it isn't coming to consoles. I do however think that they're heading in the right direction, and more towards the greatness of the original.

lostinseganet
Apr 24, 2011, 07:04 PM
More than 4 player coop PLZ! Look at serious sam with 16 player its soo fun, but please more than 4 MORE!

Endu_Landale
Apr 24, 2011, 07:41 PM
I'm not jumping to conclusions yet, but I saw that too. I think that what they've shown so far was just a display model though. Notice how both the hunters had the same weapon model as a demonstration...although the rangers combined had three different guns...hmm. But regardless I still think there's a chance for it to happen.

Lycurgus
Apr 24, 2011, 07:58 PM
I was waiting forever to hear about and see PSO2 in action. Ever since the announcement awhile back I've been waiting anxiously. This looks like it's going to include all the things I was hoping for in combat (Jumping, Dodging, Air-juggling, etc.)
I'm sure this has been noticed already, but after taking a close look at the UI from one of the pics. But it looks like you'll be able to use multiple Photon Arts/Skills per weapon this time. That's what I Gather at least, which would be a very good thing imo.

Para
Apr 24, 2011, 08:18 PM
Oh sega, you always deliver a smexy HUnewearl or some kind of smexy newman for me.

Seasqwaa
Apr 24, 2011, 10:13 PM
Which, as for the music, is great in my opinion!
Well, not quite what I heard in the video perhaps, but I really loved all of PSO's music.
It was far more interesting than... *sigh* anything in the PSU universe.

Skye-Fox713
Apr 24, 2011, 10:26 PM
OHHHHH MYYY GOOODDDDD!!!!!!!! Love the screen shots and will start watching the video in a few seconds but I'm loving it already. Beasts or no Beasts i'm loving it.
So after I had scraped my brains off the ceiling and changed my pants... I absolutely love what they have done with the shooting and I'm loving the way the it looked like the guns are working where guns have a magazine that you can reload with is really bad ass looking and loving the look of the rifle that was shown. Jumping defiantly a great addition to the game. Weather effects, random dungeons, amazing I can't wait for it to come out. This puts all the other games i'm waiting for to shame.

goldbrease
Apr 24, 2011, 11:10 PM
by what joystick lists: http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/24/phantasy-star-online-2-details-revealed-we-jump-for-joy/
its been announced as PC only.

ANIMEniac
Apr 25, 2011, 01:16 AM
PSO x PSU x Monster Hunter x Lost Planet 2
/love forever! (i literally could not smiling randomly for 2 hrs after hearing the news)

FirefoxKyuubi
Apr 25, 2011, 03:01 AM
This looks so amazing...Gunner looks actually fun!!!!
I can't tell you guys how happy I am to see this game refreshed and replenished.

Vashyron
Apr 25, 2011, 06:48 AM
Oh and if anyone doesn't recognize the artwork at the start this is what they are:
Video art seems to have a HUmar, HUnewearl, RAcast, RAcaseal, RAmar, RAmarl and a FOmar & FOmarl on the same slide. In that order.
If I'm wrong correct me.

Pentence
Apr 25, 2011, 08:25 AM
le gasp this means ACTUAL updates no disc release stuff n tons of rebalancing

bns1991
Apr 25, 2011, 10:41 AM
This is great news! I have been waiting for screenshots for a while now and they did not disappoint. I like the PSU style graphics and the way that they still kept the original concept that made PSO so popular amongst its most loyal players. Looking forward to the release!

Corey Blue
Apr 25, 2011, 11:54 AM
We'll get more info at E3 June 7-9,GLOBAL SERVERS PLEASE

GreenArcher
Apr 25, 2011, 12:34 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh nerdgasming so hard!

Gunslinger-08
Apr 25, 2011, 03:52 PM
I just peed my pants. SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO STOKED NOW!!!

Noxia
Apr 25, 2011, 04:20 PM
FEAR THE POUNY !!!
Cuz this game is allready mine ! o.o
I'll pouny you !

Pioneer1111
Apr 25, 2011, 05:44 PM
Wait... we get to jump now?
</br>
AWESOME!!!

Rukyius
Apr 25, 2011, 09:02 PM
C...cant m...move too m...much.

ColonD
Apr 25, 2011, 11:34 PM
Monster 1: What's that hopping up and down on the horizon?
Monster 2: Hunters, they don't walk or run anymore, just jump excitedly.

Overlord Zenon
Apr 26, 2011, 01:29 AM
No offense, graphicly looks fine, but its coming off as a more generic MMO now then anything, same generic Hit numbers, tiny Gui, the ability to jump now, and the forest looks a little liner, lets hope this is just an early build, and they try to have some diverse monsters, and not reuse animations of multiple models, as well as recolors

TK38
Apr 26, 2011, 02:44 AM
Playing PSU never quite did it for me. The casts looked too organic and not robotic enough. The new humans went from looking like mad court jesters and gruff biker chicks to looking so overly saturated with cutesiness that it wasn't a matter of if but when I'd start hitting my head against the monitor. As for what I've seen from PSO2 so far, I'm not too thrilled about the new human hunter outfit but it seems to be a step in the right direction. Overall, I remain optimistic that there will be multiple aesthetic options to choose from and that those options will be ones that bring back some of that PSO goodness.

Aeiku
Apr 26, 2011, 04:52 AM
Generic or not is fine to me as long as it has the awesome adventurous feeling from the first PSO I'm happy.

Endu_Landale
Apr 26, 2011, 10:11 AM
Agreed, I think we need to keep optimistic over several early alpha screens and a short video.

Ovada
Apr 26, 2011, 12:16 PM
I wouldn't mind if they took a note from Vindictus and allowed grappling, or at least had a photon art that allowed me to throw things. Maybe I have a rage problem, I don't know ^^;

Ovada
Apr 26, 2011, 12:20 PM
I personally liked the organic look, but in my head- I just wanted some sort of cast-like parts for my RAmarl.
I think casts did look like robots, but they didn't feel like robots, if that makes any sense. In PSO, they had better vision, regenerating parts, built-in trap dispensers, etc. In PSU, they were basically humans with heads that rotate differently.
I would love to see some cast-only parts, making me more like a tank XD

knight200x
Apr 26, 2011, 12:21 PM
FINALLY !!! we are going to to have a REAL RPG to deal with here :P !! CAAAAAAN'T WAAAAAAIT !

Athorian
Apr 26, 2011, 12:54 PM
All of this has me SO hyped! PSU made me want to cry after playing PSO for so long. But the music in this video is PSO like, the combat system seems ALOT more fun, and the character skins...So awesome! 0.0 I hope they keep consistantly releasing content to keep the hype up!

Aeiku
Apr 26, 2011, 03:22 PM
Meh...grappling would be a let down to me wouldn't feel PSO-like.

PepperCat
Apr 26, 2011, 06:12 PM
Those boobs defy physics... I APPROVE!

gratefulgriz
Apr 26, 2011, 09:29 PM
I really hope they bring mags back

Lichfiend
Apr 26, 2011, 10:27 PM
Thank you Sonic Team for going back to the PSO style armor. One of the biggest disappointments for me in PSU was character design, and I'm very happy to see them going back to a style more appropriate for the type of game they're making. HUmars in tank-tops and gym shorts looked absurd. The speed of combat looks fun, and I always welcome jumping in online RPGs. Here's hoping they give us something to fill up that action bar with.

Overlord Zenon
Apr 28, 2011, 02:11 AM
I hope they do both, adds more varity to character customization

HsBlaze
Apr 28, 2011, 04:05 AM
Me too! I didnt see mag on them but they should

Blizz3112
Apr 29, 2011, 04:18 PM
Maybe they use a different system... Also... jumping! That's some getting use to... XD ...

Seasqwaa
May 2, 2011, 03:30 PM
Agreed. I love PSO for PSO.
Yep... if that makes any sense.
I hear people relating it to Vindictus, Blade and Soul, Tera. Particularly all games that
I think are pretty bad. Or at least, not something I would enjoy

ZeldaSerenade
May 11, 2011, 07:21 AM
That was the first thing I thought too. I was wondering if anyone else noticed the "generic MMO" interface. Hopefully the gameplay will make this irrelevant.

Xenobia
Jun 12, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hello!
Can someone tell me what system that game will be coming out for? I hope its PC because with all the proprietary issues MS caused me on theyr Xbox and Sony which cant fully be trusted, it is the only thing able to give me blessing. So SEGA and myself is finally in charge of every single step and no one can cause a salty soup...
Ofc graphic isnt everything but on PC it definitely doesnt know any bounds. Additionally i wish we can play it using a gamer pad (Xbox pad works great), gamer pad + PC is how a goddess is playing it. I never played any PSO on PC before but, my mind has changed, since PCs kinda can act such as a advanced and non proprietary console, the only device giving full freedom. Peace and joy.. i hope.
PSO is PSO, it cant be compared to any other game but only people who truly played the first PSO series and those who know the entire history, know what i talk about. IMHO PSO was better than PSU in way to many aspects and its wonderful if they would be able to bring back the original, but with a way more advanced gameplay, style and environment. Even to think about makes me aroused in some way. If they use PC for, they got the hardware for, rest is up to skill and fantasy.

Die905
Jun 17, 2011, 08:07 PM
i love games and this new i love new games i like makeing new friends what about you :)?