PDA

View Full Version : hand me downs eplored

femur
Apr 29, 2003, 08:34 AM
hi guys . i know this has been talked about a bit before , especially regarding mags but id like to start a new conversation up about it . im fairly new to PSO in general , and to these forums specifically .

what im wondering now , is are there any self imposed restrictions that you guys place on yourselves when using hand me downs from some of your higher level characters ?

ive heard of people sharing 200 mags between characters to help them level. thats a tough one to disagree with since the person usually raises the mag themselves . but what about the people you play with online ? is it fair to them that you will have an easier time surviving ruins because of the wicked mag you have ? probably wont make too much of a difference , so normally i wounldnt care .

until last night . i played with a couple different people that had taken real advantage (imo) of the ability to hand down weapons and gear . ill admit that ive done it myself in offline games , it helps with the tedium of the lower levels in forest . but playing online with lvl 20 characters that are cake walking through ruins (on normal) with gragon slayers and a never ending arsenal of dual weapons kind of ruins the fun in a way .

perhaps i am being a whiner , but it sort of felt wrong that he was doing 240-270 hits while the rest of us are doing 90-110 . he admited to me that he found the weapons with a higher level character on hard/very hard . so i guess i just feel like if you can play offline on hard/very hard , why not use those weapons on same difficulty when you play online ?

pardon the rant .please let me know how you feel .

GimpyBoy
Apr 29, 2003, 08:38 AM
Well, it's a million times better than if he was using a hacked rare that some guy gave him for free.

I dunno, it really doesn't bother me. Especially since he had to go through the pain of finding his good weps.

Midgets
Apr 29, 2003, 10:38 AM
Yeah, I agree. If he found the good stuff with an his own higher level char., then I see no wrong in using it to aid a new char. He's put in his time and
as far as I'm concerned, not cheating at all.

DSCCSHOGUN
Apr 29, 2003, 10:41 AM
I don't see why it should matter. I have given mags and weapons to my new characters. If your first character was a HU class and you find all sorts of weps and build a mag for a different class of course you are going to pretty much walk through normal, its expected. I didn't do it online because no one else would get experience, but I did do it offline. You can walk through normal, hard, and start leveling fast in v.hard. It's a good thing! I have always just made a new character for item hunting with a different class and section id so why should anyone start each character from scratch, but I've done that too.

MagicPink
Apr 29, 2003, 01:30 PM
I think it absolutely sucks. I was in an online game once with a lvl 8 FOnewm who had a lvl 200 mag and was blowing off Gifoies all over. He was killing everything before we even had a chance to hit the beasties plus was being an annoying little twit.

If you want to use stuff above your lvl then make sure it's ok with the people you're playing with and FOR GOD'S SAKE let them get some hits in before you level the room. It's not a freaking race.

-annoyed by asshats MP

Davion
Apr 29, 2003, 02:12 PM
On 2003-04-29 11:30, MagicPink wrote:
I think it absolutely sucks. I was in an online game once with a lvl 8 FOnewm who had a lvl 200 mag and was blowing off Gifoies all over. He was killing everything before we even had a chance to hit the beasties plus was being an annoying little twit.

If you want to use stuff above your lvl then make sure it's ok with the people you're playing with and FOR GOD'S SAKE let them get some hits in before you level the room. It's not a freaking race.

-annoyed by asshats MP

I would have to say I understand that. There are few things more annoying than a suped up character blasing everything to bits before anyone has even touched them.

I gave my new HUmar a mag and some weapons, but I never played with him online in normal mode (unless I was doing solo HS runs). In Vhard, your level pretty much levels you out powerwise. That HUmar is now level 50 with a 40/80/40/40 mag, a Stag, and a Brionac. I was God on normal and hard, but now on Vhard I'm back to normal. I was just able to get there much faster.

I remember once I was playing with a level 80 HUcast in Ultimate Seabed. He had a BKB and a VERY high pow devil's tail. He could dish out as much damage as I could, but he died in one hit everytime. That's one example of beefing up your character and still not being able to survive.

somerandomplayername
Apr 29, 2003, 03:16 PM
I don't find it to be an issue so long as they let other people get hits in (as mentioned above) and don't hog rares for their other characters. I'm always at the backline of a battle casting spells and never have a chance to grab rares in multi so when I'm the only force in a game (which is almost always) I expect the other players to let me have any rare wands that drop and I don't have yet.

Vanango
Apr 29, 2003, 03:37 PM
when I recreated my FOnewearl (and by recreate, I mean made a new character, the old one is still there) I definately souped her up, leveling her up was so much easier and faster than my first character. I had a built mag, armors, shields, weapons... and even mats and techs for her... so she was killing everything with one hit, so I just locked a room and leveled myself up cuz it wouldn't be fair for anyone to play with me since I was just racing through. now when people join a team that is killing everything before anyone gets in the room, then why bother being on a team? geez. That's why I <3 ultimate http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif; yay ruins!

Oh well, good post.

kat
Apr 30, 2003, 05:14 PM
I agree... people who hit everything in the room dead before you can hit anything are just mean...

I have nothing against hand me downs, I do it myself.

When working with my mage, she got slots on her first frame, so that she'd have some more protection, and wouldn't get slaughtered in one hit (two hits!)...

When people are doing that much damage, and they actually let you hit stuff... that's cool. I'm okay with that (especially against bosses that are difficult, etc) but when you join a team, you expect teamwork... not hogging.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: kat on 2003-04-30 15:15 ]</font>

Helios
May 1, 2003, 03:38 PM
I wouldn't say that it's politically correct, but I can't do anything about it.

doesn't bother me.