PDA

View Full Version : Gix VS. Astra

ZerotakerZX
Jan 15, 2017, 03:20 AM
The hottest stuff lately. Previously Orbit and Austere were the hottest stuff for an year or so, but they were really tough to farm for, and these series are really casual to collect thanks to СF system.

My thoughts are like this.

Gix - Austere's legacy, cause they have high damage output. Too bad they were boring to farm, because how braindead new Ult is. But there was the bright side: its was available 24/7, so if you have tight schedule, it was a perfect choice. The latent was kinda intresting too, I appreciate when your gear or skillset affect your playstyle and makes you wanna adapt. Too bad for me as a Figther that I eat mates like candies (total unability to guard or dodge because of my feeble sissy reflexes). But my twink Force can make enjoy her Gix Talis, its fits great.

Astra - Orbit's legacy, cause they have good damage output and some PP restorative features. Yeah, you can't use it as passive PP battery, but PP managment is there and that's really cool. I love PP managment and that's why Ely Sion was my favotire sword for a long time. CF gonna be around for a long time, so soon absolutely everyone gonna have em, so you'll never feel special because of it. But slap a camo on and make everyone guess what weapon are you holding, until they take their time and scan your gear via 'nearvy characters'.

So, Gix is higher damage dealing (about 10 percent according to my caltulations) and Astra is easier PP regen (which affect damage output too, if you thing about it, but its hard to calculate).

Of course, all of the above is a personall opinion, but I'm curious about what other's thinking is. Do you preffer Gix or Astra? For how long they gonna be really usable? Maybe we about to experience 14* rain soon that turns our current hard-earned gear into junk? And its gonna be even easier to get, just for shit and giggles.

Gwyndolin
Jan 15, 2017, 03:53 AM
Viva la Astra!

Nyansan
Jan 15, 2017, 04:17 AM
Mixed, really. Depends on the weapon

Astra
DB
Knux
Wand (TeBr)

Gix
DS
TD
Rifle
Talis

Either (depends on personal preference, either's good)
Sword
Partizan
TMG
Katana

Zephyrion
Jan 15, 2017, 07:21 AM
I don't really agree with Astra beig orbit's legacy, as Orbit is still its own thing in terms of PP regen and gameplay change. Otherwise pretty much agree with Nyansan, except I'd put DS and Boots in Astra category, but that's just me really.

hoangsea
Jan 15, 2017, 08:10 AM
i like astra better, better pp regen and it's easy to get it's full potential
gix sounds stronger (in term of raw dmg) but one hit and you lose 14% atk when astral have nothing required to get 12% atk

IchijinKali
Jan 15, 2017, 09:07 AM
As a katana braver Gix
Anyone else Astra

Its all about that stupid condition Gix's weapons have. Despite the time to max being pretty short its the condition that you need to follow that makes them downright worthless for some weapons. Rifle/Launcher DON'T GET HIT regardless of how good you are that is just not in the cards at times. Sure you could dodge the big hits mostly but there will be a small attack you end up getting hit with. Could just be a glancing blow but all it takes is just one to reset you which making it quite hard to keep damage up for RAs since their damage comes from planting themselves.

DBs same as Guns DON'T GET HIT but they also suffer from having to switch weapons constantly to match element making the timer reset. Short and simple you will rarely have max output with DBs because of having to switch or because you couldn't dodge an attack in time.

Kondibon
Jan 15, 2017, 10:12 AM
Gix if you don't switch from the weapon in question often. Astra for general use.

SteveCZ
Jan 15, 2017, 10:17 AM
Gotta agree with IchijinKali that braver katana gets the most from Gix.

Gaylar
Jan 15, 2017, 02:33 PM
Personally with Sword, I lead in with Gix on runs all the way up until I get an Automate proc (or in UQ something like Anga getting sword resist).

If it doesn't, free damage, but I'm locked into using my Gix sword.
If it does, switch to Astra, and I can now switch between Astra (for combat) and Orbit (when moving), or switch to my 2016 wand to heal off any chip damage if I'm doing an exploration or something. Or even switch to my partizan.

During any long periods of downtime I switch back to Gix.

I actually quite like how this all works out, though yeah, the restrictions on Gixs potential really shows.

echofaith
Jan 15, 2017, 03:10 PM
I prefer orbit when using spears. For swords pp isnt a problem, so astra just for being slighty stronger. Gix pot being killed after a weapon swap is the deal breaker.

Zysets
Jan 15, 2017, 03:15 PM
Personally as a Fi/Hu, I use Gix DS, because you can manage using DS alone long enough to have it's potential outclass Astra in raw damage, then for my TDs I'm using Astra, so I can switch to them and have it's max damage when I need them, plus the PP regen on hit is great for EQ bosses. Then for Knuckles I still just use Orbit, because I rarely use Knuckles in the first place, and PP battery is nice to have,

Alenoir
Jan 15, 2017, 03:22 PM
i like astra better, better pp regen and it's easy to get it's full potential
gix sounds stronger (in term of raw dmg) but one hit and you lose 14% atk when astral have nothing required to get 12% atk

Depends on the weapon. Rod and talis requires you to not use dodge action, most of the melee stuffs want you to not use a mate item. Only some melee, all of ranged, and some tech weapons want you to not get hit.

It works great with some of my BR friends 'cause they don't even have Automate on their HU trees, relies completely on actually countering.

Flaoc
Jan 15, 2017, 04:54 PM
it really depends on what ur doing so

hu:
sword - astra or gix depending on content
partizan - astra
wl - astra

fi:
all 3 astra for the godly regen and fi swaps a lot

br:
katana: kasami.... errr i mean gix yea
bow: astra (brhu) gix (brgu but astras still fine anyway)

bo: astra both

ra: rifle - toss up between astra and gix and ais
launcher: astra with orbit regen swaps

gu: personal preference

fo:
astra for general gix for very specific content both weps

Vatallus
Jan 15, 2017, 05:48 PM
I prefer gix DS, but let's be honest...

If you have either austere, gix, or astra you're doing ok for yourself.

Selphea
Jan 15, 2017, 07:59 PM
Sword - Gix
Partisan - Astra
Wired Lance - Orbit battery

Daggers - Astra
Double Saber - Orbit battery
Knuckles - Astra

Rifle - Astra
Launcher - Orbit battery

TMG - Astra then get an Orbit battery for Rifle

Rod - Ray or Austere (Union?)
Talis - Wind Orbit battery, rest Ray or Austere

Wand - Astra

Katana - Astra
Bow - Orbit battery; flip to Astra Bow/Orbit Katana if bow main

Jet Boots - Orbit battery
Dual Blades - Astra

Gunslash - Astra unless Orbit Gunslash CF comes along

Is probably how i'd set up my dream set, but since i already picked up some Gix for classes i don't really play, i'm going with Gix for those.

Frien
Jan 15, 2017, 10:30 PM
I'm a katana BR so I'll still stick with using my Gix for runs where I wouldn't have to switch often / can get by without having to heal myself (Example: Mother and PD). If I plan on using a hybrid build; I'll make use of my Orbit bow so Astra would replace my Austere for that build (I'm not a fan of losing Gix potential so it's ruled out of this build). I'll still hold onto my orbit since the PP battery utility in something like TD is very nice to have.

I would use Astra on FI due to how much I weapon switch, probably the same for HU but that's only if I plan on using a Partisan too.

rando
Jan 15, 2017, 11:04 PM
sure, gix for in a group.

astra, for solo or when you gotta keep it group goin.

pkemr4
Jan 16, 2017, 02:30 AM
All astra fighter definitely

Alenoir
Jan 16, 2017, 02:30 AM
fo:
astra for general gix for very specific content both weps

IIRC my FO friend (who admitted no longer plays the game for the most part) disregarded the Astra weapons because half of the latent is PP regen on attack. Which, if you think about it, you may as well carry a Queen Viela.

At least with Gix you can actually use Jumping Dodge and that will not reset the latent bonus.

oratank
Jan 16, 2017, 05:33 AM
i keep weapon element with their origin :/

astra for light weakness
gix for lightning weakness

Flaoc
Jan 16, 2017, 05:47 AM
IIRC my FO friend (who admitted no longer plays the game for the most part) disregarded the Astra weapons because half of the latent is PP regen on attack. Which, if you think about it, you may as well carry a Queen Viela.

At least with Gix you can actually use Jumping Dodge and that will not reset the latent bonus.

gix will lose its pot during orbit swap or vera swap or (swapping from rod to talis) and not being able to mirage is bleh.. astra is basically an extra austere ele so why not (or get super lucky with epd)

Nyansan
Jan 16, 2017, 06:19 AM
IMO between Austere, Astra and Gix, Austere is still the better one potential-wise for both Fo weapons. I guess the only reason to pick Astra over it is if you don't have an Austere yet and aren't too keen on farming out the stuff for Austere + the OT style grinding.

Plus, I think it's best to wait and see what the Union upgrade to Ray weapons does, as the Ray series has one of the better potentials for Fo. The somewhat 'steep' requirements for the upgrade means that they may very well be on par (if not better) than the three mentioned above

ZerotakerZX
Jan 16, 2017, 06:37 AM
IMO between Austere, Astra and Gix, Austere is still the better one potential-wise for both Fo weapons. I guess the only reason to pick Astra over it is if you don't have an Austere yet and aren't too keen on farming out the stuff for Austere + the OT style grinding.

Plus, I think it's best to wait and see what the Union upgrade to Ray weapons does, as the Ray series has one of the better potentials for Fo. The somewhat 'steep' requirements for the upgrade means that they may very well be on par (if not better) than the three mentioned above
Good plan, I'll update the topic when it happens.