PDA

View Full Version : Let's end the Console Wars Once and For All

Armion
Apr 30, 2003, 08:18 PM
After seeing the countless posts on video game sites and even company sites, Ive come to the conclusion that all gamers are slowly converting to become bitter shells that are the mindless drones of the system they own.
I will not let this happen. To me, it doesn't matter what system it is. It doesn't matter who made it. The sales figures are meaningless, as are the graphics. Have we all been blinded? Have the lights on our systems hypnotized us to become blithering drooling idiots?! I ask you what have gamers become? I'm starting to be ashamed each time I see the idiocy of others. I thought to myself, how much time do I have left if everyone around me is losing it.
I knew it started to go to far when I sat at a table in a park and listen to this guy I knew for a long time blab on about his console and start bashing others. I lost it for that one moment. For some reason all the things I knew just flew out of my mouth. I began hitting him specifications, statements, and configurations, all of which he never understood. He just stared at me and asked why? This guy was my classmate for 7 years of school. I taught him the raging demon for akuma, and who made Mario RPG. I even took him to E3 with me on occasion. He was a brother to me. As I explained to him what a gamer truly is, it flowed into my head, that I was beginning to become what I hate. I started to lose myself as a gamer, and become a fanboy. All the gaming experience, all the fun I had, all the times, all this and so much more I had forgotten. For that one moment, I knew what I had to do. I went home, turned on my oldest video game, and played it and all the others, from atari to virtual boy, from genesis to N64, from Game Boy to Game boy Advance SP. I realized what I had begun to forget. It was all a game, meant for my enjoyment. It wasn't a necessity. It was a lifestyle. I know now, that I am a gamer, and what many have forgotten is that it is only a game. We gamers have been blinded by add ons, fancy commercials, big names, naughty situations, graphics, and stories that seem to repeat and repeat and repeat with glossied up imagery. We have forgotten what it means to game. We've turned our backs on one another. What was once a brotherhood has now become the console wars? Whether its the power of X, the cubed vision, or the PS2's world, its had some affect on our gaming prowess, making us into gangs who have a rivalry about which is better. I refuse to allow the brotherhood to be broken and for us gamers to lose what we all have. I'm asking you all to forget the faux console war, and remember what gaming is supposed to be. Fun.

Reply to this post if you want the gaming brotherhod to return. If not, then don't post. You've already been consumed, and there's no easy way to turn back.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armion on 2003-04-30 18:32 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armion on 2003-04-30 18:35 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Apr 30, 2003, 08:41 PM
Hell too, I'll take my Ranger X, Master Blaster, Super Black Bass, Metal Warriors, Street Fighter and Contra....shite...now I want to play them. =

But yeah, it's not exactly all of the current gamers, or those who have been around long enough to know the enjoyment of buying an NES and locking up your Atari, or nearly pissing yourself to open up your SNES or Genesis box, it's more so the younger generation of gamers who brag to each other at school and at each other's houses without knowing what the hell they're talking about.

Back "in the day", someone could brag that they had an NES and a ton of games, even though their current system was an SNES or Genesis, and everyone would be in awe, today, someone says they have a Gameboy(not color, not Advance) with a ton of games, and everyone looks at them like "...what the fuck...where the hell have you been? *smack* "

In effect, I just think the new generation of gamers don't stop to think that the beauty of a game isn't all about pixels and polygon counts. Shit, anyone who played Atari for hours on end knows what I'm talking about.

Sure, you get all these nicely defined curved characters, with eyelashes and individual hairs, games are already defined. Waay back, the pixelation gave us a chance to use our imagination to an extent atleast.

Honestly, anyone who's played games "way back" then, in memory they seem alot more detailed, but when you go and play them today, you're like "Holy shit..what happened, I thought it looked better than this."

But in the end, I don't care. I still miss the days of 2D. Yeah, 3D kicks ass, but you can only pump out so much before you go "...meh..".

And it's not even so much the big companies or specs that everyone looks at, it's more so just petty "My system is better than your system because I say so". Or "The controllers for your system sucks, thus, your system sucks", "It looks stupid/it's bulky/it's childish/whatever". It's ok to not like something, but just let that be your reason, it's a helluva lot better than giving one of the above, by far.

And with that, we go off to Rants. =)

*moves to appropriate forum*

Scriptor
Apr 30, 2003, 11:26 PM
2D cropped up there somewhere- i just gotta chirrp up about Shining Force 2, a 2D RPG from Sega for Mega Drive. i mean hell, i used to friggin worship that game and even downloaded a emulator and rom reccently and played thru again. so yeah, i gotta say some old games do have the goods on new stuff in some ways. and yeah, there never used to be all that console rivalry crap. but then- there never used to be online...or so many gamers. i dunno about no "brotherhood", but theres somethin to be said for 'old school' games. but not all of em- some muppets just jump on the friggin band waggon and start talkin about space invaders and shit so that they sound unique or some crap- i find that more annoyin that ppl who argue about consoles and the like. anyways, u better get used to it (whoever started the thread, i forget) - things r gonna change and u can bet ur bottom dollar things wont go back to how they were, just continue to change. so if there was a brotherhood and its dead- it aint comin back.

Armion
May 1, 2003, 02:08 AM
Ye of little belief. After my intitial post, I went online, and I was amazed how many that 2 people saw my post. They too, remembered the brotherhood gamers had, and longed for it to return. Even if it's a small few, I'm just glad to see that some gamers are willing to regain the brotherhood's standards. Oh, yes. I can say that the gaming brotherhood is reviving. I copied my post on another site, and believe or not, more people remembered. My faith in Gamers has be restored. I appreciate the two posts that I got here, although negative, they were still posts. I used them as examples in my post. well, like I said, the gaming brotherhood isn't dead. There are gamers out there, and I'm glad to be one of them.

Scriptor
May 1, 2003, 06:14 PM
...u make it sound like some obscure religeon or somethin...*heheh*...

Ness
May 1, 2003, 06:40 PM
The problem here is fanboys. If we get rid of all the fanboys and leave the people who know how to enjoy their console without ruining someone else's, thee we would be all good.

ancutcho
May 1, 2003, 07:03 PM
i love console war. its fun argueing which system is the best and seeing all the gc fans dont know much cause all they say is that u gotta pay for xbox live and pso which doubles the price and that xbox is HEAVY. LOL there funny. while the xbox fans always do the math and compare both the xbox and gamecube and xbox ends up alittle cheaper. but the prices are not a big difference so its your decision on which system to get it on. if you want to play alot of online games then go with xbox and if u dont play on playing alot of online games and or dont have boardband connection then go with the gamecube.

NeoMusicMaker
May 1, 2003, 07:42 PM
Woah, i see this line of peole discussing gaming, and then another guy who actually talks about the differences and stuff?? thats rather odd... but anyways, my all time favorite game is Punch-out for NES. if given the choice i would play Punch-Out over PSO.... i think.... i dunno, hard choice there.
But oh, there is a brotherhood in this area. me and a few friends, all the time, playing new games, playing them together, and playing all the systems. I heard about Phantasy star not to long ago, and the first one i played was an old one from genesis. let me tell you that all the early Phantasy Stars were great games and if you look past graphics then you have a hard choice to pick a best.
I have PSOX and friend has GameCube. you think we care?? HECK NO!! i have a few characters on his GC and he has a few on my Xbox. There still is a true brotherhood, all hope is NOT lost.

Armion
May 1, 2003, 07:47 PM
The brotherhood lives on. And no its not a religion. That would be a cult. The brotherhood is like what the knights of the round table were. It's our bond to each other. It's a shoalin monks relationship with another.
Okay maybe not monks. Man you enjoy making my posts look stupid don't you? Whether or not you know about the brothership or understand is pretty obvious to me. Next, jealously is indeed one of reasons behind the console wars, but not the only.

It's funny to me how I started this post in a positive light, but everybody is complaining about it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Armion on 2003-05-01 20:34 ]</font>

Scriptor
May 1, 2003, 07:56 PM
...now u breakin out the monks?!?...deary me...u say it aint like a religeon but- the word monk, means some1 who is a student of religeon ( i believe) ...so....err kinda self-defeating but i do get ya...i think. but on pso, i bet it wont be long before it detieorates into what it was like on DC after 22 months or so....which can be described in 1 word- shite.

Nawms
May 1, 2003, 07:58 PM
On 2003-05-01 16:40, Ness wrote:
The problem here is fanboys.

Yes, fanboys are annoying, but I hate to say there is really nothing you can do to stop them. Just ignore them. I am happy to have all 3 big consoles, so my biased tendancies are drastically downsized.

Console wars will never be stopped as long as a jealous lust burns in the human heart.

.... wow! I'm good. score!

Dangerous55
May 1, 2003, 09:22 PM
Only 1 way to bring "peace" to the console "war". That is to buy every human on earth every system and game. Little pricey, but its for "peace"!

Logical2u
May 2, 2003, 07:31 AM
I have GC and PS2, but I dislike xbox because i believe it has stolen afew good franchises from Ps2 and such (like DeadOrAlive)

NeoMusicMaker
May 2, 2003, 07:18 PM
Hey hey hey. not all these are negative. i sure as hell was ntotrying to be negative. and whats all that religious crap?? in my not-so-humble opinion religion=bad idea. nothing wrong with faith and beleif and all that but hey, when people get together they ruin a good idea.
but anyways. if these posts are about stopping the console wars then why do people still post what systems they like over others? isnt that going AGAINST the grain here??? arg... people, get rid of them and you would solve all lifes problems

Dangerous55
May 2, 2003, 11:20 PM
On 2003-05-02 05:31, Logical2u wrote:
I have GC and PS2, but I dislike xbox because i believe it has stolen afew good franchises from Ps2 and such (like DeadOrAlive)

Uh...thats not stealing.

CGoodness
May 3, 2003, 10:52 PM
People shoud really stop fighting over the best consoles... We all know Gamecube is the best anyway! HAHAHAHAHA

Droxitr
May 4, 2003, 12:35 AM
Woo! GC! The only system you can beat the royal crap out of that yellow Japanese rat on.

No matter your views you have to concede that. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Axispoint
May 4, 2003, 08:37 PM
I like what you want to do with this topic. I get tired and tired of going through a thread only to see it end up as either someone saying this console is better than that console or put down another console (one they most likely haven't even played). I went off in a little in another forum about how people who do nothing but bash other consoles or whatever need to get a life. People play consoles to have fun and this crap is about as amusing as a typical Gamefaqs thread. Just shut up and play the systems you own instead of whining about other systems. Is it that hard of a concept to master? Evidentally so.

Sedyne
May 11, 2003, 08:14 PM
On 2003-04-30 18:41, ABDUR101 wrote:
Hell too, I'll take my Ranger X, Master Blaster, Super Black Bass, Metal Warriors, Street Fighter and Contra....shite...now I want to play them. =

But yeah, it's not exactly all of the current gamers, or those who have been around long enough to know the enjoyment of buying an NES and locking up your Atari, or nearly pissing yourself to open up your SNES or Genesis box, it's more so the younger generation of gamers who brag to each other at school and at each other's houses without knowing what the hell they're talking about.

Back "in the day", someone could brag that they had an NES and a ton of games, even though their current system was an SNES or Genesis, and everyone would be in awe, today, someone says they have a Gameboy(not color, not Advance) with a ton of games, and everyone looks at them like "...what the fuck...where the hell have you been? *smack* "

In effect, I just think the new generation of gamers don't stop to think that the beauty of a game isn't all about pixels and polygon counts. Shit, anyone who played Atari for hours on end knows what I'm talking about.

Sure, you get all these nicely defined curved characters, with eyelashes and individual hairs, games are already defined. Waay back, the pixelation gave us a chance to use our imagination to an extent atleast.

Honestly, anyone who's played games "way back" then, in memory they seem alot more detailed, but when you go and play them today, you're like "Holy shit..what happened, I thought it looked better than this."

But in the end, I don't care. I still miss the days of 2D. Yeah, 3D kicks ass, but you can only pump out so much before you go "...meh..".

And it's not even so much the big companies or specs that everyone looks at, it's more so just petty "My system is better than your system because I say so". Or "The controllers for your system sucks, thus, your system sucks", "It looks stupid/it's bulky/it's childish/whatever". It's ok to not like something, but just let that be your reason, it's a helluva lot better than giving one of the above, by far.

And with that, we go off to Rants. =)

*moves to appropriate forum*

Damn strait ^_^ *whips out his old SNES and starts playing opened copy of Chronotrigger*

Omni-SqwirL
May 12, 2003, 10:49 AM
Best system = Dreamcast
Reason why = It brought the world of PSO to us, and it opened a whole new website dedicated to it that brings people of all different ends of the earth together, through fighting and/or friendly conversations.

Back to the Xbox, Gamecube and PS2...fanboys really mess up the competition.

Xbox - People always say it's too big, too ugly, too stupid, not enough games.....whatever man. It has close to the same amount as Gamecube, but no one says Gamecube has not many games. I mean, if I were Bill Gates, I would have created the Xbox too..it sells well, but they should ban Sports Games altogether cept Hockey and Golf...and the new MLB Slugfest.

Gamecube - Fanboys say it's too small, can't play DVD's and that's all I hear....it doesn't have a DVD Drive!?!?1 Oh no, maybe I should go out and buy one. Why not buy an Xbox or PS2..it's cheaper than most DVD players.

PS2 - I don't hear much about this one, except that it isn't as reliable as the Xbox, which is true to some extent, but it depends on how you treat it. My only thing is that there is a warranty on the freaking ps2, you can get it fixed.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Omni-SqwirL on 2003-05-12 08:50 ]</font>