PDA

View Full Version : PlayStation Vita To End Production In 2019, No Plans To Announce A Successor For Now

the_importer_
Sep 20, 2018, 12:43 PM
http://www.siliconera.com/2018/09/20/playstation-vita-to-end-production-in-2019-no-plans-to-announce-a-successor-for-now/

Oh well, RIP old friend, you struggled to survived for many years even after people keep saying that you were dead. Only time will tell if SEGA will pull the plug from the Vita port of PSO2.

As for me, I'll order a new slim version of the Vita (firmware lower than 3.69) with an extra memory card in case anything were to happen to my current one. As for TV output, I already have 2 PSTV systems, so I'm good.

GHNeko
Sep 20, 2018, 04:12 PM
maybe we can get moving fingers now

the_importer_
Sep 20, 2018, 05:38 PM
maybe we can get moving fingers now

?????

Meteor Weapon
Sep 20, 2018, 10:08 PM
?????

What you dont know that joke?

the_importer_
Sep 21, 2018, 12:17 AM
What you dont know that joke?

Even if I did, I fail to see how this could be funny or relevant to the topic.

Anduril
Sep 21, 2018, 12:23 AM
Even if I did, I fail to see how this could be funny or relevant to the topic.

It comes from the idea that having Vita support has held the game back, and that by dropping Vita support, it could lead to actual, significant graphical and model improvements (like having separate, movable fingers) beyond shaders and slightly higher resolution textures. It's not likely to happen at this point, but it is what it is.

Dark Mits
Sep 21, 2018, 01:47 AM
Maybe Sony saw the success of Switch and is preparing a successor that will be a hybrid console / portable.

Kion
Sep 21, 2018, 03:27 AM
What confuses me about the Vita is Sony trying to compete with casual gaming by trying to adding in unneeded functionality, like touch and a camera. It seems like they could have kept the cost down and sold more units if they had focused on doing one thing well. Not to mention that a lot of the games don't even work with the PS Vita. Though ironically I'm tempted to buy one now to test out homebrew.

the_importer_
Sep 21, 2018, 08:07 AM
It comes from the idea that having Vita support has held the game back, and that by dropping Vita support, it could lead to actual, significant graphical and model improvements (like having separate, movable fingers) beyond shaders and slightly higher resolution textures. It's not likely to happen at this point, but it is what it is.

In short, a very "meh" inside comment within the PSO2 community

Maybe Sony saw the success of Switch and is preparing a successor that will be a hybrid console / portable.

That was what people were hoping for, but we didn't get anything et E3 or TGS and that last one should have been the big one for the reveal since Japan is more of a handheld market than a console market.

wefwq
Sep 21, 2018, 08:20 AM
What confuses me about the Vita is Sony trying to compete with casual gaming by trying to adding in unneeded functionality, like touch and a camera. It seems like they could have kept the cost down and sold more units if they had focused on doing one thing well. Not to mention that a lot of the games don't even work with the PS Vita. Though ironically I'm tempted to buy one now to test out homebrew.
They tried to make Vita a multimedia device in hope that Vita would catter to the phone audience as well, it failed.

XrosBlader821
Sep 21, 2018, 08:48 AM

The point of a hybrid Console is that it'd fuse together the the home console and handheld development teams to work on one device and provide regular content without splitting the fanbase across multiple devices (since Ninty never had tremendous 3rd party support this was always a serious issue on their devices). Sony already did that by focusing all of their resources on the PS4 and I doubt they'd want to stop their dick measuring contest with Xbox just to win over some Nintendo players. Not to mention such device would lose Blueray & DVD functionality which is still a big selling point in favor of the Xbox and PS4 despite not being marketed very much.

I also doubt even Sony fans would buy a Vita successor. A lot of people felt betrayed by Sony in the way they treated the Vita You just need to look at some 1yo r/vita threads.

the_importer_
Sep 21, 2018, 09:16 AM
The point of a hybrid Console is that it'd fuse together the the home console and handheld development teams to work on one device and provide regular content without splitting the fanbase across multiple devices (since Ninty never had tremendous 3rd party support this was always a serious issue on their devices). Sony already did that by focusing all of their resources on the PS4 and I doubt they'd want to stop their dick measuring contest with Xbox just to win over some Nintendo players. Not to mention such device would lose Blueray & DVD functionality which is still a big selling point in favor of the Xbox and PS4 despite not being marketed very much.

I also doubt even Sony fans would buy a Vita successor. A lot of people felt betrayed by Sony in the way they treated the Vita You just need to look at some 1yo r/vita threads.

The goal of a new handheld or a hybrid would be mostly to stay relevant in Japan where portable devices rule. The PSP sold as much as the original PS1 and almost as much as the PS2. The Vita with it's crap support and expensive hardware and memory cards has sold close to 6m in Japan while the PS4, their top product, has sold under 8m. The Switch has been out for less than 2 years in Japan and is catching up pretty quickly to the PS4's sales.

I'm not saying that this should be the PS5. They could have a PS5 for the graphic whores and a hybrid for people who want the best of both worlds.

Dark Mits
Sep 21, 2018, 09:32 AM
The point of a hybrid Console is that it'd fuse together the the home console and handheld development teams to work on one device and provide regular content without splitting the fanbase across multiple devices (since Ninty never had tremendous 3rd party support this was always a serious issue on their devices). Sony already did that by focusing all of their resources on the PS4 and I doubt they'd want to stop their dick measuring contest with Xbox just to win over some Nintendo players. Not to mention such device would lose Blueray & DVD functionality which is still a big selling point in favor of the Xbox and PS4 despite not being marketed very much.That's what I was getting at. There's a possibility that Sony is preparing PS5 to be a hybrid console. The portable part of it wouldn't necessarily have a Blu-ray slot since that would probably require it to have significant size, but it could have "large" internal memory (like 128GB or 256GB) that allows players to transfer games from the main console to the portable part to play on the go.

Let's not forget that high costs for the first versions of their consoles aren't exactly something Sony is afraid of. PS2, PS3 and PS4 base versions have all been the most expensive ones of their respective generations.

FantasyHeaven
Sep 21, 2018, 10:11 AM
Maybe if this piece of shit never existed in the first place we wouldn't have literal ps2 graphics, 2d orbs floating around in sanctuary and nonmoving fingers. Too little too late.

XrosBlader821
Sep 21, 2018, 12:03 PM
Let's not forget that high costs for the first versions of their consoles aren't exactly something Sony is afraid of. PS2, PS3 and PS4 base versions have all been the most expensive ones of their respective generations.

Let's also not forget that in case of PS3 this large price extremely backfired as no one was willing to spend 600$ on a PS3 despite Sony winning 2 console generations in a row when it comes to Units moved and having a large, diverse game library.

Maybe if this piece of shit never existed in the first place we wouldn't have literal ps2 graphics, 2d orbs floating around in sanctuary and nonmoving fingers. Too little too late.

Tbh it's very unlikely the Vita had anything to do with them making this game so ass looking. I met a lot of people who play on Tier 1 Graphics simply because they're running on potatoes and making the game more demanding would exclude them & shrink the potential playerbase. This and the fact that the Vita version didn't launch simultaneously suggest that the game was made with PC in mind first and retroactively ported to the Vita, which back in 2012 was still new and exciting tech. And let's not pretend like if the shitty PC graphics helped the Vita version to perform acceptably in MPAs.

Eternal255
Sep 21, 2018, 08:21 PM
They tried to make Vita a multimedia device in hope that Vita would catter to the phone audience as well, it failed.

Are you referring to the original 3g vita? I would have loved that one back when it came out. Too bad I was a broke student back then -_-

Vita is an amazing console. It goes with me everywhere.

Kion
Sep 21, 2018, 08:31 PM

Because people who play free games on their cell phone are totally going to go out and buy a dedicated gaming device with a joystick and buttons and then pay extra for the games they have on their phone already.

https://i.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/477/275/019.png

Tymek
Sep 22, 2018, 04:22 PM
Good to know we're never getting a Deluxe Package ever again.

the_importer_
Sep 22, 2018, 08:47 PM
Good to know we're never getting a Deluxe Package ever again.

Pretty sure we would have gotten a physical EP5 for PC and/or Vita by now if they wanted to release one.

Aelamasca
Sep 22, 2018, 09:44 PM
I wanted to get the Vita, but I couldnt justify that price and it's lack of games, at least with the 3ds you could mod it and play everything, what is there even on the vita?

the_importer_
Sep 22, 2018, 10:52 PM
I wanted to get the Vita, but I couldnt justify that price and it's lack of games, at least with the 3ds you could mod it and play everything, what is there even on the vita?

Dude, if you include the Limited Run Games titles that I'm waiting for in the mail, I have over 80 physical Vita games. Tell me what you like to play and I'll tell you if the Vita has it. Also, Vita is easy as shit to hack as long as you have firmware 3.68 or less (latest one is 3.69).

XrosBlader821
Sep 23, 2018, 06:28 AM

Nowadays you can do the same for the Vita. Allowing you to easily access any PS1, PSP and PSVita title and Homebrew taking care of the rest (like the PSV Tweaker that keeps your PSO2 Vita english patch up to date)

But to answer your question directly here are few exclusives that come to my mind:

Phantasy Star Nova - Spin off of PSO2 gameplay with unique Skill Board system, Weapon Mods which replace affixing and change your weapon visually at the same time and some exclusive Photon Arts not seen in PSO2 till this day.

Freedom Wars - Story driven Hunting game in a post apocalyptic world with special veins allowing you for some extra mobility and physically pulling parts off of enemies. I think you can see this game as the original hunting game with a Hookshot mechanic.

Persona 4 Golden - Enhanced version of one the best JRPG's you can get. New endings, more story content, more Arcana etc.

landman
Sep 23, 2018, 08:42 AM
In short, a very "meh" inside comment within the PSO2 community

If you wanted off topic answer instead of pso2 related ones maybe you should have posted it in the off topic section of the forums :wacko:

GHNeko
Sep 23, 2018, 03:15 PM
If you wanted off topic answer instead of pso2 related ones maybe you should have posted it in the off topic section of the forums :wacko:

>calls it an inside comment within the PSO2 community
>makes a thread inside of the PSO2 forum, which is apart of the PSO2 community

:wacko::wacko::wacko::wacko:

it's also like one of the oldest jokes that have made its rounds through almost every pso2 community in the west

the_importer_
Sep 23, 2018, 03:52 PM
@landman @GHNeko
You two sound butthurt that I didn't know some lame inside joke that was probably old before I started playing. Like I predicted before, it's not funny or relevant to the topic. I know you're only making a fuss out of this because it's me posting this, being anyone else, you wouldn't bother commenting, but still, how low can you go?

FYI, been playing since 2014, never noticed the fingers didn't move, guess that's not my first world problem.

ArcaneTechs
Sep 23, 2018, 03:57 PM
@landman @GHNeko
You two sound butthurt that I didn't know some lame inside joke that was probably old before I started playing. Like I predicted before, it's not funny or relevant to the topic. I know you're only making a fuss out of this because it's me posting this, being anyone else, you wouldn't bother commenting, but still, how low can you go?

FYI, been playing since 2014, never noticed the fingers didn't move, guess that's not my first world problem.
you realized since PSU and continuing into PSO2 that people literally pointed this out right? you cant be this oblivious man. especially in a day and age when PSO2 officially released that other MMO's etc had moving fingers and toes as the norm. not even a first world problem bub

GHNeko
Sep 24, 2018, 01:50 AM
You two sound butthurt

nice projection lmao

1. if anyone else said what you said, i would have made the exact same comments
2. if you wanted people to not mention pso2. why the fuck would you post this in the pso2 forum when pso2 vita is a thing. you can't expect people to be off topic when you make a thread in a forum specifically for pso2 and not the off topic branch. if anything your initial thread is off-topic and me posting about pso2 vita is actually in line with this forums purpose
3. no im not posting because its you. the hell?

the_importer_
Sep 25, 2018, 07:02 AM
1. if anyone else said what you said, i would have made the exact same comments
3. no im not posting because its you. the hell?

Calling Bullshit on that

2. if you wanted people to not mention pso2. why the fuck would you post this in the pso2 forum when pso2 vita is a thing. you can't expect people to be off topic when you make a thread in a forum specifically for pso2 and not the off topic branch. if anything your initial thread is off-topic and me posting about pso2 vita is actually in line with this forums purpose

This is a topic about Vita and PSO2's future on this device. You took this opportunity to bring an old dump joke and accused the Vita of being responsible for this.

nsm
Sep 25, 2018, 07:43 AM
When I saw an Importer topic I expected a stupid discussion and a ton of derailing and I got exactly that.

Just reading this my brain cells died as fast as the Vita.

ps. the dumb joke is changing your Sega ID lmao.

GHNeko
Sep 25, 2018, 11:04 AM
Calling Bullshit on that

nice persecution complex

This is a topic about Vita and PSO2's future on this device. You took this opportunity to bring an old dump joke and accused the Vita of being responsible for this.

lmao "accused the vita"
👌

i just wanted to make a generic joke that damn near everyone within the western PSO2 community has heard and knows about but at this point it's whatever lol.

XrosBlader821
Sep 25, 2018, 11:09 AM
So far the only derailing I saw was from people who aren't the_importer_ .
Saying a joke that wasn't funny back then and isn't funny now is derailing the conversation for everyone who doesn't know the joke and it's silly to assume everyone knows everything about this community the moment they enter it. I for example am not in the PSO2 discord nor hang out in B7 yet im still active in here, reddit and Bumped. There are definitely lots of jokes I missed despite being part of the community since EP2.

Just reading this my brain cells died as fast as the Vita.

Hey, at least they didn't die as fast as the Wii U.

GHNeko
Sep 25, 2018, 11:12 AM
its a joke about pso2 on the vita in a thread about the vita dying and if sega will pull support for pso2 on the vita
there is no way that's derailing the conversation because it's still talking about pso2 on the vita and what may happen if pso2 vita support is actually pulled.

XrosBlader821
Sep 25, 2018, 11:13 AM
its a joke about pso2 on the vita in a thread about the vita dying and if sega will pull support for pso2 on the vita
there is no way that's derailing the conversation lol

That's why Page 1 is almost entirely dedicated to people explaining the joke and page 3 dedicated to making fun of someone not getting the joke. No derailing at all.

GHNeko
Sep 25, 2018, 11:25 AM
That's why Page 1 is almost entirely dedicated to people explaining the joke and page 3 dedicated to making fun of someone not getting the joke. No derailing at all.

are we looking at the same thread?

there was 1 post asking if he knew the joke
there was 1 post explaining the joke

and no one started talking about importer himself (vs his thread/posts) until nsm decided to chime in.

and the "making fun of someone not getting the joke" part was commentary on him complaining about things being off topic when they weren't (which isnt making fun at him at all)
quite literally my 2nd post in this thread is me agreeing with someone making a comment about the off-topic claim
the situation was then escalated into something even greater when importer thought it was a good idea to start calling people "butt hurt"

that being said NOW this is off-topic as fuck lol.

XrosBlader821
Sep 25, 2018, 11:59 AM
are we looking at the same thread?

there was 1 post asking if he knew the joke
there was 1 post explaining the joke

and 1 post wasted on the joke
and 1 post wasted on Importer kneejerk reacting to the post asking if he knew the joke
and 1 post wasted to the importer posting lots of questionmarks because the original reply confused him.
Don't sugarcoat things. We wasted over half of the page on a stupid joke.

and the "making fun of someone not getting the joke" part was commentary on him complaining about things being off topic when they weren't (which isnt making fun at him at all)

That's why you keep using lmao and lol throughout your posts. You might have not have meant to come off as making fun of him but at least to me you do come off that way,

The problem I have with this is that people moved on from the joke and on page 2 the thread was somewhat going okay but you guys just had to dig it back up in page 3 which pissed off the person who you know gets easily heated, instead of letting it be and moving on.

ArcaneTechs
Sep 25, 2018, 01:42 PM
imagine going off the rails over a hands and feet joke! am i on the wrong hug box website??? kek

GHNeko
Sep 25, 2018, 02:30 PM
and 1 post wasted on the joke
and 1 post wasted on Importer kneejerk reacting to the post asking if he knew the joke
and 1 post wasted to the importer posting lots of questionmarks because the original reply confused him.
Don't sugarcoat things. We wasted over half of the page on a stupid joke.

That's why you keep using lmao and lol throughout your posts. You might have not have meant to come off as making fun of him but at least to me you do come off that way,

The problem I have with this is that people moved on from the joke and on page 2 the thread was somewhat going okay but you guys just had to dig it back up in page 3 which pissed off the person who you know gets easily heated, instead of letting it be and moving on.

With all due respect man, that's not what you said at first and it's not a matter of semantics either. :/

Also just because I use lol or lmao or wacko doesn't mean I'm making fun of someone. It's entirely reasonable to find something someone says funny or amusing without "making fun of someone"

BUT at this point it's way beyond the point of mattering , so I just think I'll dip and wait for mods to remove all the offending posts

landman
Sep 25, 2018, 05:22 PM
I was only minimally amused by an off topic thread in the pso2 forum that barely alluded anything pso2 related, and then the OP poster looked kind of annoyed people were actually talking about PSO2 stuff in it. So sorry, just thought the off topic sub forum looked like a better place after reading the OP, and decided, wrongly, to point it out derisively.

So to stay "on topic". Got a Vita day one, then remembered I hate playing on handhelds. I wish I had a PS TV to play Persona 4G on the big screen but I'm just gonna wait for a Switch port or perfect emulation. And I'm super glad handhelds are dead and Switch lets me play on TV and Nintendo is doing all their games in one single system and I HATE every 3DS game they announce without an eshop swtch port (give me Fire Emblem 2 HD already!) so I hope it is discontinued soon too (and yet I have tons of games on it). BUT! I like playing rhythm games in handhelds, provably because most TV's I had in the past had terrible input lag and handheld experiences with rhythm games are always flawless. So good riddance to the Vita and I hope non hybrid handheld gaming never comes back!

XrosBlader821
Sep 26, 2018, 05:36 AM
Nintendo's 3DS support is like the most bizarre thing I've ever seen. I personally stopped caring about the 3DS the moment they released the Switch, 1.5 years ago and they keep announcing more and more Wii/GC/NDS ports for it. For all their faults at least Sony realized when to pull the plug on 1st party titles and let the Vita live off of 3rd party games which still filled the game release calendar better than Nintendo could with their first party games.

landman
Sep 26, 2018, 06:37 AM
Not just nintendo, Persona Q2 is releasing soon in JP...

Sonickyle27
Sep 26, 2018, 07:24 AM
I hope SEGA supports the Vita version for some time. Once they stop supporting it, and assuming they don't release PSO2 on any new platforms, there will no longer be a native client on a portable console (the Switch does not count as that is streamed from SEGA's servers). I don't have a PS4 to use Remote Play with and I'm not willing to lug around my £1200 laptop. The ES version is fun in its own way but it's not the same.

the_importer_
Sep 26, 2018, 09:38 AM
I hope SEGA supports the Vita version for some time. Once they stop supporting it, and assuming they don't release PSO2 on any new platforms, there will no longer be a native client on a portable console (the Switch does not count as that is streamed from SEGA's servers). I don't have a PS4 to use Remote Play with and I'm not willing to lug around my £1200 laptop. The ES version is fun in its own way but it's not the same.

They could always a proper Switch version (sell a bundle with a Switch game card a PSO2 branded Micro SD card of 32GB). That game is no RE7, pretty sure the Switch could handle it.

XrosBlader821
Sep 26, 2018, 09:47 AM
They could always a proper Switch version (sell a bundle with a Switch game card a PSO2 branded Micro SD card of 32GB). That game is no RE7, pretty sure the Switch could handle it.

That 32GB SD card would be dead on arrival. The game only requires 17GB~ on Tier 1 Graphics, the Switch is capable of much more than that. On PC the game uses 63GB~ and the PS4 version has it worse with 68GB~

the_importer_
Sep 26, 2018, 10:05 AM
That 32GB SD card would be dead on arrival. The game only requires 17GB~ on Tier 1 Graphics, the Switch is capable of much more than that. On PC the game uses 63GB~ and the PS4 version has it worse with 68GB~

Ya, that would be the digital version of the PS4, but if you have a retail disk version, it's probably a lot less. I have a 16GB dedicated card for the Vita version and it's not full, but that's because I use a retail game card, it's not a full digital download (those people need more than 16GB now).

XrosBlader821
Sep 26, 2018, 10:14 AM
Sega said that even People who use a game card will need to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb by the end of the year so I hope you have some spare money.

the_importer_
Sep 26, 2018, 10:53 AM
Sega said that even People who use a game card will need to upgrade from 16gb to 32gb by the end of the year so I hope you have some spare money.

I still have plenty of space for updates on that 16GB card and there's 3 months left in the year, don't see what they'll add that will fill my card. I think their math was off, maybe for EP6?

Sonickyle27
Sep 26, 2018, 11:00 AM
Thankfully you can use Henkaku/H-Encore, spoof version 3.69 of the Vita then use SD2Vita. I have a 128GB MicroSD I'm planning on getting set up which PSO2 will comfortably fit on :D

Tymek
Sep 26, 2018, 11:29 AM
Ya, that would be the digital version of the PS4, but if you have a retail disk version, it's probably a lot less. I have a 16GB dedicated card for the Vita version and it's not full, but that's because I use a retail game card, it's not a full digital download (those people need more than 16GB now).

It's not any less with the PS4 retail version, unfortunately...

PS4 discs install the game to your hard drive. The retail disc includes the game up to the April 20th, 2016 update.

XrosBlader821
Sep 26, 2018, 11:47 AM
I still have plenty of space for updates on that 16GB card and there's 3 months left in the year, don't see what they'll add that will fill my card. I think their math was off, maybe for EP6?

I'd Imagine EP6 will introduce a new planet/dimension, new advance class and all those AC scratches, True Dark Falz raid and Story updates till EP6 will just pile up.

the_importer_
Sep 26, 2018, 12:24 PM
It's not any less with the PS4 retail version, unfortunately...

PS4 discs install the game to your hard drive. The retail disc includes the game up to the April 20th, 2016 update.

True, I guess PS4 is a bad example, but Vita still stands and a physical Switch version would operate the same way. Switch game cards can up to 32GB from what I recall. So 32 + 32GB on a Micro SD should be more than enough.