PDA

View Full Version : predictable

Wolf_Warhead
May 1, 2003, 03:08 PM
Why is the story so predictable?
Ep I: as soon as Rico (which is by the way my real name, though I am a boy) said that Dark Falz was a consiousness that was searching for the perfect body I thought: Dark Falz = Red Ring Rico
Ep II: eeeehm... not sure but Heathcliff = Olga Flow?

Chernabog
May 1, 2003, 04:32 PM
*** WARNING - POSSIBLE SPOILER ***

HHa!!u r wrnog! TEh prinecepal Terral is the OLGA FLUUW!!!1111!

Seriously, the story is the story: an excuse to kill lots of things with your buds at your side. The structure of the game itself is very linear, so I don't think it's too surprising. It seems to me that all MORPGs have this issue.

I was disapointed too, at first, but I think it's the interaction with other players that makes the game fun, not the pursuit of the story as most single player RPGs are. That, plus the thrill of getting a sweet new rare weapon that you have EARNED after weeks of slaughter! At least, that's what I enjoy.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Chernabog on 2003-05-01 17:23 ]</font>

LunarShadowX
May 1, 2003, 05:38 PM
Thanks for spoiling Episode 2. You could have put in a disclaimer "Possible Spoiler".

Chernabog
May 1, 2003, 07:20 PM
Oops! You are absolutely right! Sorry about that. I will fix it immediately!

*smirk*

Saulot
May 2, 2003, 07:09 AM
I would not calssify PSO as an MMORPG, as only 4 players can play in any given room, and the lobbies are just a 3-dimensional lobby chat room (like GSA). I also would not classify PSO as an RPG either, as it is entirely 100% linear (like the Diablo series). You start the game, you kill the monsters, you reach the final boss, you kill it, viola, the end. There's no separate alternatives to play through the main storyline with, no branching, and only one ending (the BG series, which is a true CRPG, has multiple endings and multiple ways to achieve whatever the final goal you desire is). The only aspect the makes PSO slightly resemble an RPG in any way is the fact that you can become and act as your character if you so choose. I personally would classify it as an Action/Adventure game, but that's just me.

EDIT
In a true MMORPG, the storylines and plots are made by the players, and not the game developers. Also, every player plays the same game in the same room with every other player (depending on the server, there could possibly be 1000's of player characters interacting in-game with one another), in one gigantic persistent universe.

The PSO universe is not persistent.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Saulot on 2003-05-02 05:15 ]</font>

Buuyon
May 2, 2003, 07:17 AM
No..its a RPG...just not an everyday kind...

Saulot
May 2, 2003, 07:24 AM
Like I said, you get to act and play out your character; which does make it an RPG, but only to a certain extent.

Chernabog
May 2, 2003, 11:34 AM
I don't consider PSO an MMORPG (massive multiplayer) either, which is why I called it MORPG (just multiplayer). I see the difference as being a persistent world versus a temporary team-based system.

However, I notice that the same story problem exists for both. It's hard to create a story that involves players when you have so many players to deal with at the same time. I think that's why PSO has a third-person story perspective; it's just easier for the game to tell a story that's not happening directly to us.

hypn0t1c
May 2, 2003, 03:27 PM
There's no considering, PSO is NOT an MMORPG. The definition of an MMORPG is "massive multiplayer online role-playing game". Massive meaning hundreds or thousands of people playing at the same time in the same game. M(ultiplayer)ORPG yes, just not massive.

Whatley
May 2, 2003, 03:44 PM
A spoiler for those who haven't played/finished EP2 yet.

On 2003-05-01 13:08, Wolf_Warhead wrote:
Why is the story so predictable?
Ep I: as soon as Rico (which is by the way my real name, though I am a boy) said that Dark Falz was a consiousness that was searching for the perfect body I thought: Dark Falz = Red Ring Rico
Ep II: eeeehm... not sure but Heathcliff = Olga Flow?

In EP1, Dark Falz used Red Ring Rico's body so it could have a physical form.

Yes. Flowen is part of Olga Flow. Olga Flow is made up of Flowen and OLGA(a computer A.I.). The D-cells took over Flowen then integrated/merged with OLGA.

Wolf_Warhead
May 2, 2003, 03:54 PM
In EP1, Dark Falz used Red Ring Rico's body so it could have a physical form.
That's what I meant

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Wolf_Warhead on 2003-05-02 14:01 ]</font>