PDA

View Full Version : First M Rated Phantasy Star Title

StreetFighter2242
Feb 22, 2020, 11:04 AM
Still can't beleve that PSO2 Is the first M rated title in the Phantasy Star franchise.

otakun
Feb 22, 2020, 05:09 PM
First rated M title of what? You know GTA exists?

Kintama
Feb 22, 2020, 05:26 PM
I can

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/601110653654138935/609102801821499402/unknown.png

rokkuman
Feb 22, 2020, 07:10 PM
Well, that's what happens when you promote lewd outfits/LAs for profit

[Ayumi]
Feb 22, 2020, 09:11 PM
Phantasy Star been slowly pushing the boundaries so I'm not surprised.
Genesis were a little suggestive.
PSO seem to have somewhat toned it down a bit.
PSU started to get suggestive again.
PSP games got very very suggestive.
PSO2 in the beginning started to show it was aiming to get a bit more suggestive and slowly but surely adding some blood within the game.

Now it's so much lewd stuff, a lot of barely covered clothing, a good bit of very violent scenes within the story.

Give it time. There might be an official 18/AO game one day. Some of the stuff I've seen in PSO2es, Idola, the Poll Dancing, and the stripper chair dance.
I will not be surprised if they just release one official 18+ game.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 23, 2020, 02:32 AM
And it becomes Call of duty.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2020, 03:03 AM
this isnt really a bad thing

StreetFighter2242
Feb 23, 2020, 03:23 AM
Same tone same dirección, no varierty...Nothing but a one trick pony.

[Ayumi]
Feb 23, 2020, 03:30 AM
this isnt really a bad thing

Depends on who you ask.

ArcaneTechs
Feb 23, 2020, 05:07 AM
;3473335']Depends on who you ask.

i really dont think this being rated M now is going to stop people who have interest in playing the game from playing it. for free to elaborate why though, im curious

Same tone same dirección, no varierty...Nothing but a one trick pony.

??????

XrosBlader821
Feb 23, 2020, 05:34 AM
And it becomes Call of duty.

I must have missed one hell of a CoD game with Anime waifu Strippers and pole dancers who wear a bikini that wouldn't hold onto the body in real life unless you use superglue.

Dark Mits
Feb 23, 2020, 06:27 AM
I honestly think the ratings system is kind of... broken. Visual cues are having larger impact than implied cues. Show a sideboob in a Tetris game, instantly upgraded to Mature. Show some blood, instantly upgraded to Mature. On the other hand, implement mass killing of civillians and patricide, meh, just Teen for animated violence (Warcraft III). Implement a story about corrupted government, priests abusing their religion and the goodwill of the populace, poor people dying to soldiers while protecting their loved ones, meh just make it Teen because it shows a character stabbing another as sprites.

landman
Feb 23, 2020, 07:17 AM
Ratting is run by private companies founded by the industry itself, with the only objective of avoiding governments actually regulating them. Of course the system is flawed.

[Ayumi]
Feb 23, 2020, 08:10 AM
i really dont think this being rated M now is going to stop people who have interest in playing the game from playing it. for free to elaborate why though, im curious

I simply mean that it was already hard in the beginning to get decent things in the AC Scratch I was interested in until around halfway into the game's life. Wasn't much options, but it still was more than what was in the beginning in general.
These days, the majority of stuff is way more "Suggestive" and very revealing.
I merely usually ask for some decent pants with decent coloured shoes. Half the time it's either weird footwear, heels, or atrocious colouring.
Christmas had only "Mature Rated" clothing pretty much and it annoyed me a bit.

I honestly think the ratings system is kind of... broken. Visual cues are having larger impact than implied cues. Show a sideboob in a Tetris game, instantly upgraded to Mature. Show some blood, instantly upgraded to Mature. On the other hand, implement mass killing of civillians and patricide, meh, just Teen for animated violence (Warcraft III). Implement a story about corrupted government, priests abusing their religion and the goodwill of the populace, poor people dying to soldiers while protecting their loved ones, meh just make it Teen because it shows a character stabbing another as sprites.

I'm not surprised honestly.
Except for those that care, how many people really followed let's say the story of PSO? Some of the stuff in that game was seriously messed up from what the government was doing, the black market, the whole secrecy. And I'm just talking EP1. EP2 had more mature things from Elly and such, EP3 had the whole story about equal rights for Humanoids, anarchists, and so on and so forth. How many people really followed it?

Too many people say Borderlands had no real story or concept behind just mindless killing and random fetch quests. This is why Borderlands 2 went more visual. Borderlands had a huge story and a lot of character depth for what it was. A lot of backstory for simple characters like Scooter or Zed, or whichever. Because it was behind some voice clips, and a lot of the quests pick-up screens and turning in screens, too many that played Borderlands overlooked it.

Can say the same for Warriors games from Koei, whether it's Dynasty Warriors, Samurai, Gundam, Hyrule, whatever. Those got T ratings for the animated violents, but many of those game's stories are very dark but because it's not really part of the gameplay or no really visual blood and such... it never got an M rating.

I think games are rated on, "Okay, what would look bad to an idiot that just play a game for the visuals and nothing more?" and call it a day.
Mario drop Bowser in lava in NSMB and his flesh melts away and he turns to bone? Looks comical so E rating.
Link stabs dorf in the forehead to beat the battle in Wind Waker? Looks comical and no blood so E rating.
People dying on battle fields and beheaded (in stories of the main games and an actual option you can pick in Empires) in Dynasty Warriors? No blood and somewhat comical. T rating.
Visually shown people shot up and killed without knowing the story or if it's for the greater good or not? Running people over? Too serious in the violence visually? M rating.

It's stupid yes, but that's how it seems to me.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 23, 2020, 09:41 AM
I must have missed one hell of a CoD game with Anime waifu Strippers and pole dancers who wear a bikini that wouldn't hold onto the body in real life unless you use superglue.

Yeah...

Regarding thier current intrests i wouldn't be surpised if more exploting content was thrown into the mix down the line at a reckless expense of quality...but who really carles about that kind of thing besides the few who do right? It's just another unimportant matter as long they get What they want. and if the caring ones don't like it? tough, at the end of the day It's the money to worry about not some LP That's been around for a while.

[Ayumi]
Feb 23, 2020, 09:43 AM
Yeah...

Regarding thier cuarenta intrests i wouldn't be superiores if more exploting content was thrown pinto the mixto down the line at a reckless expense of quality...but who really carles about that kind of thing besides the few Whoa do right? It's just another unimportant matter as long they get What they want. and if the caring ones don't like it? tough, at the end of the day It's the money to worry about not some Lp

I don't blame Sega.
I blame those that support/endorse the practice.

If something doesn't sell, they won't do it.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 23, 2020, 09:48 AM
;3473344']I don't blame Sega.
I blame those that support/endorse the practice.

If something doesn't sell, they won't do it.

Hasn't stopped them before but Yeah sure.

But it doesn't really matter at this point .

Kondibon
Feb 23, 2020, 11:44 AM
Regarding thier current intrests i wouldn't be surpised if more exploting content was thrown into the mix down the line at a reckless expense of quality...

It already was, and is.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 24, 2020, 06:08 AM
It already was, and is.

That's not exactly what i'm referring to.

loafhero
Feb 24, 2020, 11:22 AM
Goddamn it, Matoi.

mother clusterfck
Feb 26, 2020, 03:48 PM
Hmm, less people will play it because of the rating but then more people will play it because of the rating. Probably more people that will be turned off (i.e. kids who can't get their parents to allow them to play) so it's probably a good thing because it raises the average age and reduces the amounts of kids, though probably not by a big percentage.
Also helps that parents usually are more against their kids consuming media with anything overly sexual in it than they are against violence.

Though for the title itself, M rating sounds good. I'd be concerned if it would get past that because when titles get past that rating it is rarely out of necessity to tell a good story or enhance gameplay but mostly just to show off guts & gore for the splatter fans and the kinds that think it's the height of awesome.
Same for sexual themes, M rating means they don't need to pull punches and can gives us these kind of outfits (though admittedly some decent female clothing that does not reveal a large amount of skin would be nice once in a while) but it's still a log way from emphasizing sexual theme like e.g. that nude mmorpg where girls with boobs bigger than their heads run around showing off just about everything.

Both would just distract from the actual story and gameplay if it was enough for an 18 and up rating

Alexandrious12
Feb 26, 2020, 04:16 PM
Hmm, less people will play it because of the rating but then more people will play it because of the rating. Probably more people that will be turned off (i.e. kids who can't get their parents to allow them to play) so it's probably a good thing because it raises the average age and reduces the amounts of kids, though probably not by a big percentage.
Also helps that parents usually are more against their kids consuming media with anything overly sexual in it than they are against violence.

Though for the title itself, M rating sounds good. I'd be concerned if it would get past that because when titles get past that rating it is rarely out of necessity to tell a good story or enhance gameplay but mostly just to show off guts & gore for the splatter fans and the kinds that think it's the height of awesome.
Same for sexual themes, M rating means they don't need to pull punches and can gives us these kind of outfits (though admittedly some decent female clothing that does not reveal a large amount of skin would be nice once in a while) but it's still a log way from emphasizing sexual theme like e.g. that nude mmorpg where girls with boobs bigger than their heads run around showing off just about everything.

Both would just distract from the actual story and gameplay if it was enough for an 18 and up rating

M rating never stopped kids before. Far from it. What will stop them and parents is the overly sexualised stuff. Its why they are putting in censorship for our version. Likely why the ability to create lolis was the first to go.

Thats our culture. Most parents are fine with violence, gore, dismemberment, but throw a loli in a g string doing a stripper dance in there? Then they raise holy hell. Shame that they are censoring far more than that. Id have been just fine with loli removal.

Dark Mits
Feb 26, 2020, 06:35 PM
Kids are not the problem. The kids who like to scream and cause trouble are busy with pvp-oriented games, like MOBAs and non-story FPSes. At worst, you'll just meet a kid who asks for freebies (meseta/equipment), or who constantly asks "What's the best class?" while still in the tutorial part of the game and then complain about being misinformed when they cannot match performances of more experienced players. But this behaviour is not really limited to kids.

Though I will be looking forward (in a sarcastic way) to see chat in Battle Arenas in the West version.

[Ayumi]
Feb 26, 2020, 10:35 PM
Kids are not the problem. The kids who like to scream and cause trouble are busy with pvp-oriented games, like MOBAs and non-story FPSes. At worst, you'll just meet a kid who asks for freebies (meseta/equipment), or who constantly asks "What's the best class?" while still in the tutorial part of the game and then complain about being misinformed when they cannot match performances of more experienced players. But this behaviour is not really limited to kids.

Though I will be looking forward (in a sarcastic way) to see chat in Battle Arenas in the West version.

You've.... never played PSO did you?

the_importer_
Feb 27, 2020, 12:01 AM
;3473440']You've.... never played PSO did you?

I still remember PSO on the OG XBOX with kids popping-in my game when I didn't have 4 players. They were running around me when I was I trying to kill enemies just asking with their high pitch voices "Got any rare items you can give me". Half the time after telling them no, they flipped me-off and left while the other half, they didn't leave and I had to leave a create a locked game.

Dark Mits
Feb 27, 2020, 01:27 AM
;3473440']You've.... never played PSO did you?Back in PSO era MOBAs didn't exist and PvP-oriented FPSes like Quake and Unreal Tournament were very limited for internet play (like 4-people matches) and mostly experienced in netcafes. The only games I remember pre-2010 are the original Dota and Counterstrike. Kids back then (which are now people in their 20s to 30s), when they had access to the internet, were exploring more games than just those 2, so they "leaked" into slower-paced games like RPGs. Nowadays this will not be as prevalent because the majority of vocal bad-behaved kids is attracted to games with PvP and ranking systems with leaderboards.

I am not saying they will not exist; I am saying they will exist but at a lesser degree than back then.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 27, 2020, 12:28 PM
Goddamn it, Matoi.

Soooooo..Which Costume is her innocent cluster again?

[Ayumi]
Feb 27, 2020, 12:35 PM
Soooooo..Which Costume is her innocent cluster again?

They're all butchered versions of Rico's outfit.
She's pretty much the "Kawaii" Red Ring Rico of PSO2. Just... not as great.

This is Innocent Cluster though.
Not-So Innocent.
[SPOILER-BOX]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/phantasystar/images/c/c7/Ep11_end.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

StreetFighter2242
Feb 28, 2020, 08:40 AM
;3473456']They're all butchered versions of Rico's outfit.
She's pretty much the "Kawaii" Red Ring Rico of PSO2. Just... not as great.

This is Innocent Cluster though.
Not-So Innocent.
[SPOILER-BOX]https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/phantasystar/images/c/c7/Ep11_end.png[/SPOILER-BOX]

Ohhhhhh.....I see.

Is she seriously supposed to be the Rico Of PSO2?

[Ayumi]
Feb 28, 2020, 09:41 AM
Ohhhhhh.....Play

Is the the seriously supposed to be the Rico Of PSO2?

Her first outfit at 1st to me looked very Red Ring Rico. That was the first sign:
https://i.imgur.com/MxZz6tV.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/XJQF92s.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

I took it either as inspiration or coincidence and on my 1st account did try to attempt to make RRR while using the outfit. Came out as best as I could've gotten.
Then her story started to sound somewhat like a retelling of Rico for a "modern anime cute girl" instead of some badass person that took a lot from her mentor.
[SPOILER]How she's "the key" to the story from Forest to Ruins. How she pretty much was destined to become the new Dark Falz and into the Profound Darkness. The only difference is you pretty much stop that from happening so she never goes Dark Falz fully and never died from you saving her.

All of my ideas of maybe of it being a coincidence just got hit with this image a while back which made me realize, "Okay yeah... she's the PSO2 RRR..."
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/hzPTMbq.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Same hair on top, same eyes pretty much, clothes looking too identical, stories seems to be the symptom of "Remake Syndrome" (kind of like the Robocop remake, or the Total Recall remake or whatever. Kinda close to the original but not really at all.)

Obviously though I like Rico more than Matoi as Matoi doesn't seem like she would be as memorable as Rico as time goes by.
Hell, maybe if PSO2 keeps going and she keeps growing up, she might become more like Rico and just don't have the iconic hair, ring, or glasses. Who knows what Sega is planning with PSO2, but as of right now "PSO2 RRR" is not as good as "PSO1 RRR" in my opinion.

StreetFighter2242
Feb 28, 2020, 10:18 AM
;3473463']Her first outfit at 1st to me looked very Red Ring Rico. That was the first sign:
https://i.imgur.com/MxZz6tV.png[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/XJQF92s.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

I took it either as inspiration or coincidence and on my 1st account did try to attempt to make RRR while using the outfit. Came out as best as I could've gotten.
Then her story started to sound somewhat like a retelling of Rico for a "modern anime cute girl" instead of some badass person that took a lot from her mentor.
[SPOILER]How she's "the key" to the story from Forest to Ruins. How she pretty much was destined to become the new Dark Falz and into the Profound Darkness. The only difference is you pretty much stop that from happening so she never goes Dark Falz fully and never died from you saving her.

All of my ideas of maybe of it being a coincidence just got hit with this image a while back which made me realize, "Okay yeah... she's the PSO2 RRR..."
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/hzPTMbq.jpg[/SPOILER-BOX]

Same hair on top, same eyes pretty much, clothes looking too identical, stories seems to be the symptom of "Remake Syndrome" (kind of like the Robocop remake, or the Total Recall remake or whatever. Kinda close to the original but not really at all.)

Obviously though I like Rico more than Matoi as Matoi doesn't seem like she would be as memorable as Rico as time goes by.
Hell, maybe if PSO2 keeps going and she keeps growing up, she might become more like Rico and just don't have the iconic hair, ring, or glasses. Who knows what Sega is planning with PSO2, but as of right now "PSO2 RRR" is not as good as "PSO1 RRR" in my opinion.

Ouch..... It's quite a shame though.

Memorable though?