View Full Version : NGS Phantasy Star Online 2 New Genessis

Maulcun
Jul 23, 2020, 11:54 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k7MzIcPC8M&feature=emb_title

https://new-gen.pso2.jp/

https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/1286345828773367815

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHCxuX9NMoc&feature=emb_title

https://new-gen.pso2.com/

Revealed during today's Xbox Series X showcase, New Genesis is being described as the "latest entry" in the Phantasy Star Online 2 saga, and promises to deliver game system and graphics engine updates.

Supported platforms for the game is different depending on the region... For the North American, will be released on Xbox One, Xbox Series X, and PC. However for Japan, will be released on PS4, PC, and Cloud (Nintendo Switch / PC)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJ_q-0ZyDk&feature=youtu.be

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQCZ2j5nZE&feature=emb_title

http://pso2.jp/players/news/26483/

https://pso2.com/news/announcements/pso2ngsannouncement

To celebrate the 20th anniversary of Phantasy Star Online, we will be aiming for even greater heights and reshaping the story, game system, graphics engine, and character creation system. PSO2 will be reborn as an open-field online RPG, with a renewed battle system and game system to match!

The twin universes of PSO2: NGS and PSO2 exist side by side! Both are playable!

You can continue to enjoy the original PSO2 even after PSO2: NGS has been released. Accounts that have been playing PSO2 will be able to hop between PSO2: NGS and PSO2. However, because the game system is vastly different, we would like to explain what exactly is changing with PSO2: NGS below.

Create even more gorgeous characters with the new and improved graphics engine!

With the new graphics engine comes enhanced character models. In addition to the features present in the current character creation system, you'll now have even more detailed options, like changing the luster of your character's skin. Characters will also be able to move their fingers now! Furthermore, you'll be able to wear more accessories—as well as change their locations—creating even more customized characters. Because PSO2: NGS's character creation system is compatible with that of PSO2, players are free to decide which one they want to use.

Finally, PSO2's core graphics engine will also be overhauled, allowing you to use characters created with PSO2: NGS's system within PSO2 as well. Naturally, ALL character creation info from PSO2 (including items linked to emotes and other previously registered data) will be compatible with PSO2: NGS!

Note: The system requirements for the PC version will increase when PSO2 is updated to meet PSO2: NGS's standards.

Changes to the Game System

Because PSO2: NGS and PSO2 will have different game systems, some of their respective elements will be incompatible. The following points will summarize what we can announce at this time.

Note: While PSO2's graphics engine will be overhauled, its game system will not change. You can play the exact same content that you have until now.

⬧ Items That Are Not Compatible With PSO2: NGS

The following items obtained in PSO2 cannot be used in PSO2: NGS.

⬨ Items Obtained in PSO2 That Cannot Be Used in PSO2: NGS

Skill Rings
Consumable Items used for battle, growth, and enhancement
Boost Items
Materials
Furnishings
The above information is subject to change. We would greatly appreciate your understanding in this matter.

⬧ Regarding Player Data and Character Growth

⬨ Player Data

AC and SG can be used in both PSO2: NGS and PSO2.
Because Meseta, FUN, and other currencies greatly affect the balance of the game's economy, these cannot be shared between PSO2: NGS and PSO2.

⬨ Character Growth

Character growth will not be shared between PSO2 and PSO2: NGS.
⬨ Examples of Character Growth Elements That Are Not Shared With PSO2: NGS

Level
EXP
Class Skills
Photon Arts
Techniques

⬧ Regarding Weapons, Units, and Mags

Weapons, Units, and Mags obtained in PSO2 can be used in PSO2: NGS as well. However, their functions, abilities, and appearances will change in accordance with PSO2: NGS's game system.

Note: These changes will only occur when playing PSO2: NGS. They will retain their original functions, abilities, and appearances within PSO2.

⬨ Weapons

While the fundamental weapon design will not change, their stats, augments, and potentials will. Additionally, some higher-rarity weapons may not be equippable until your character has reached a certain level. For weapons pertaining to classes that have not yet been added to PSO2: NGS, they will be unusable until the relevant class has been released.

⬨ Units

In PSO2: NGS, Units will become armor that is not visible. Even Units that have been obtained in PSO2 will become invisible in PSO2: NGS. Furthermore, similarly to weapons, their stats, augments, and potentials will change, and high-rarity Units may not be equippable until your character has reached a certain level.

⬨ Mags

Although Mags within PSO2: NGS do not affect your stats or aid you in battle, Evolution Device data from PSO2 will carry over.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

New job openings

http://pso2.jp/players/recruit/#globalNav

Touka
Jul 23, 2020, 11:55 AM
It just showed on the XBOX stream and the graphics look modern now.Guess PD reset the entire PSO 2 universe or sum shit.

rashoood
Jul 23, 2020, 11:57 AM
so is this gonna be an expansion or totally new game? its looks so cool

cheapgunner
Jul 23, 2020, 12:04 PM
ninja'd

silo1991
those new enemies i think it might be Great light minions , Lighters ?

edit: i watch the trailer again and i wonder if this new expansion will have the Mabinogi concept of allow you to progress the more you use the stuff

Maulcun
The question is... is it a brand new game or an expansion?

rokkuman
I'm so thrilled yet confused, lol. The UI looks about the same, so is this "Not Episode 7" or something else entirely?

lostinseganet
Jul 23, 2020, 12:05 PM
OHH yea this is a seller for me. I lit up when I saw it (^_^). I wonder if the current epsoide 6 is meant to be a bit of a preview of this title. I see simular style of enemies.

Ryno
Jul 23, 2020, 12:07 PM
If it’s an expansion I’ll just stay relaxed if it’s a new game I’ll go hyped

NightlightPro
Jul 23, 2020, 12:14 PM
pso3 ;-)

rokkuman
Jul 23, 2020, 12:16 PM
SEGA describes it as "『PSO2』シリーズの新作", which roughly translates to "The new entry in the PSO2 series", so I think it's a new game just like Nova was: https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/1286345828773367815

Anduril
Jul 23, 2020, 12:19 PM
Looking at the site (https://new-gen.pso2.jp/?jp), both the English and Japanese versions show it as being available on the platforms that PSO2 is currently on for those languages (Windows 10 and XBox for English, and Playstation, PC, and Cloud [Switch and PC] for Japanese).

Alucard V
Jul 23, 2020, 12:36 PM
I'm cautiously optimistic.
It looks Open World which would be cool even if that means the focus is on one planet.
The floaty Platinum Games like Spectacle Brawler vibe is still in the forefront.
Hoping That there's an Off Line Story to it like PSU/PSP games with an option for co-op.

....and maybe Mecha and other Scifi RPG Colabs.

landman
Jul 23, 2020, 12:36 PM
XenoPSO blade Chronicles X. Need more DOLL/AIS.

rokkuman
Jul 23, 2020, 12:38 PM
pso3 ;-)

What if this is the actual EP7 and "Not EP7" is just the update that would make the wait easier? NA has confirmed our characters will be able to be carried over.

wefwq
Jul 23, 2020, 12:44 PM
Looks pretty damn cool.

Loveless62
Jul 23, 2020, 12:49 PM
Phantasy Star Nova 2:-P

It is interesting seeing the PA icons at the bottom which mostly look like the same ones from PSO2, with a couple of exceptions. It looks like the video demonstrated redesigned versions of the sword and the assault rifle. In particular we saw sword normals and Rising Edge a few times. There was also an attack that vaguely looked like Nova Strike, but I think it had a a Twister Fall icon.

It looked like assault rifle has a couple of new PAs that I didn't recognize.

The video also briefly showed the use of the rod. It was interesting because the player fired a huge beam, and did so by consuming a photon blast (or a subpalette skill with a photon blast-like icon). I think the huge satellite cannon-like assault rifle attack may have come from a photon blast too, but the video didn't actually show the PB get consumed (maybe it showed just after the PB was consumed).

This is coming in 2021, so it fits the timeline of the NOT-EPISODE-7 update. Maybe this is what the PSO2 team was talking about.

It looked great. I would love if the PSO2 base game would get a graphics upgrade like this, but I don't think that it is implied that base PSO2 will get that.

Edit: the "New Genesis" title is rather suggestive, I should say.

cheapgunner
Jul 23, 2020, 12:51 PM
What if this is the actual EP7 and "Not EP7" is just the update that would make the wait easier? NA has confirmed our characters will be able to be carried over.

If that last part is true, then yea! The update comign up seems more and more a bridge to this New genesis they showed,

NightlightPro
Jul 23, 2020, 12:56 PM

unless unexpected tier 7 graphics and a whole bunch of improvements

too good to be true

DrCatco
Jul 23, 2020, 01:03 PM
One of the (few) good things about PSO2 is its playstyle. It's great to see that it's one of the things that will be preserved (and probably will be improved) in New Genesis.

MakanaAzusa
Jul 23, 2020, 01:07 PM
When is the next braodcast ? We need answers now. New game or is this the "not EP7 update"

DreXxiN
Jul 23, 2020, 01:10 PM
Ahhh hype overload! See y'all there!

NightlightPro
Jul 23, 2020, 01:11 PM
One of the (few) good things about PSO2 is its playstyle. It's great to see that it's one of the things that will be preserved (and probably will be improved) in New Genesis.

agreed

this is more like the PSO2 that should have been

SEGA just learned from their mistakes they made with PSO2 and decided to make a new PSO2 title but with a different name and a brand new playstyle/graphics

Coatl
Jul 23, 2020, 01:15 PM
This is NOT the gigantic update. At least I hope not. This is an entirely new game.

Maulcun
Jul 23, 2020, 01:26 PM
I think we're finally going to ragol. Something will happen with the Arks Ships (Oracle Fleet) and they will build the pioneers 1 and 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1mtXl-uwkQ

The "Pioneer Project" -- A plan born of desperation, conceived in response to the imminent destruction of their home worlds.

As plans for the evacuation began, unmanned probes were sent into deep space to find a habitable planet. When a potential site was discovered, the first interstellar transport ship, Pioneer 1, was sent to establish a colony.

Pioneer 1 confirmed that the Planet Ragol was a suitable location, and the initial colonists started preparing the planet for the main wave of refugees, beginning with the construction of the Central Dome.

7 years later...

Pioneer 2 completed its long voyage with the main wave of refugees aboard.

But as Pioneer 2 entered orbit and opened a communications link with the Central Dome, an enormous explosion shook the entire planet.

All contact with the thousands of men and women of Pioneer 1 was lost...

TehCubey
Jul 23, 2020, 01:44 PM
So this is why ep 6 was so devoid of content. Shiva confirmed for a filler villain, just killing time while most of the dev team works on PSO2: A Realm Reborn.

Ambrai
Jul 23, 2020, 01:44 PM
I might have to come back for this...

DrCatco
Jul 23, 2020, 01:46 PM
I think we're finally going to ragol.

I don't think this will be exactly the case.

But I agree that there will be an evacuation.

If you observe the very first scene of the video, you will note that that beach is in fact the beach we go when we access one of the teleporters to the Parallel World.

My theory is, whatever happens to the Oracle Universe will be so massive that ARKS will be forced to evacuate to that parallel world.

You will also note that there are no Ships in the sky.

So I think that the ARKS Fleet will be lost. And... I don't think we will see Xiao in this new genesis.

Karen Erra
Jul 23, 2020, 02:29 PM

Where has this been said about characters being carried over?

Renvalt
Jul 23, 2020, 02:31 PM
There's something about this that just sets alarms off in my head.

If this was a graphical revamp, wouldn't it make more sense to show off more than just the Naberian Forest? Something feels wrong - my whole core just can't stop feeling like this is EXACTLY the dilemma that FFXIV 1.0 went through, wherein SquareEnix bit off more than they could chew and nearly tarnished the Final Fantasy brand (to the point where Naoki Yoshida had to WoW-ify it in order to save it from the dumpster fire it had been).

If this game truly IS trying to go through an ARR-style rebirth... something tells me that they don't understand WHY FFXIV: ARR was as well-received as it was.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but we NEED more info. Because right now, I got a BAD feeling about this.

Kiboune
Jul 23, 2020, 02:39 PM
They changed animation for Twister Fall?

Kondibon
Jul 23, 2020, 02:48 PM
There's something about this that just sets alarms off in my head.

If this was a graphical revamp, wouldn't it make more sense to show off more than just the Naberian Forest? Something feels wrong - my whole core just can't stop feeling like this is EXACTLY the dilemma that FFXIV 1.0 went through, wherein SquareEnix bit off more than they could chew and nearly tarnished the Final Fantasy brand (to the point where Naoki Yoshida had to WoW-ify it in order to save it from the dumpster fire it had been).

If this game truly IS trying to go through an ARR-style rebirth... something tells me that they don't understand WHY FFXIV: ARR was as well-received as it was.

I'm going to remain cautiously optimistic, but we NEED more info. Because right now, I got a BAD feeling about this.I'm not sure why you're getting ARR vibes from this. ARR was a response to FFXIV basically being a trashfire on launch. PSO2, flaws aside has been relatively well recieved at its core. If anything this probably just them taking advantage of not needing to tie the game to the vita anymore. The main things people have been wanting are overhauls of the classes and some core mechanics and a graphical update. If you actually look at the gameplay flow it's not much different from how Ph and Et play.

If I was going to compare this to another game (graphic updates aside, because I'm pretty sure that's just the vita shackles coming off), I would say it's a lot more like going from Phantasy Star Universe/Portable to Phantasy Star Portable 2. Showing off new stuff is probably just to make it look new and flashy instead of showing stuff people already know about. If it's an entirely new game (which I honestly doubt based on the timing of the NA launch), then they probably wouldn't nuke regular PSO2 anyway. At least not right off the bat.

Kazzi
Jul 23, 2020, 02:48 PM
agreed

this is more like the PSO2 that should have been

SEGA just learned from their mistakes they made with PSO2 and decided to make a new PSO2 title but with a different name and a brand new playstyle/graphics

Wow this whole comment is so wrong.

PSO2 started development when PSOBB was still around. It had it's first alpha tests in 2011. What games are capable of now are immense compared to when PSO2 was created, and back then even without the graphics 6 setting the game looked beautiful for it's generation. PSO2 was exactly what they envisioned and wanted, it's just that as technology continued to improve the game just got outdated. This is by no means "what PSO2 should have been" because the game always WAS what they meant it to be.

They've been working on this update for a while, there was rumors about it way back at the 15th anniversary festival and even more rumors at the pso2fes last year (albeit everyone joked pso3). I'm glad it turned out to be real because the game really needs an overhaul, here's praying they finally cut out all the clutter (looking at you non NT weapons and outdated content).

Kondibon
Jul 23, 2020, 03:01 PM
it's just that as technology continued to improve the game just got outdated. The game looked outdated when it came out. Not by a lot mind you, but if you compare it to a bunch of other online games and MMOs that came out at around the same time, PSO2 stands out. I don't think it ever NEEDED to look super amazing, since a big part of the draw for people like myself was the relatively low fidelity and small maps made it easier to run on basically anything. You'd have to be crazy to think it looked great for the time, considering its contemporaries were GW2, and Blade&Soul. And just to clarify because I know at least one person is going to say those games look super generic or whatever, but I'm just talking about fidelity and environment design, something PSO2 took a long time to really get a grasp on.

Renvalt
Jul 23, 2020, 03:03 PM
I'm not sure why you're getting ARR vibes from this. ARR was a response to FFXIV basically being a trashfire on launch. PSO2, flaws aside has been relatively well recieved at its core. If anything this probably just them taking advantage of not needing to tie the game to the vita anymore. The main things people have been wanting are overhauls of the classes and some core mechanics and a graphical update. If you actually look at the gameplay flow it's not much different from how Ph and Et play.

If I was going to compare this to another game (graphic updates aside, because I'm pretty sure that's just the vita shackles coming off), I would say it's a lot more like going from Phantasy Star Universe/Portable to Phantasy Star Portable 2. Showing off new stuff is probably just to make it look new and flashy instead of showing stuff people already know about. If it's an entirely new game (which I honestly doubt based on the timing of the NA launch), then they probably wouldn't nuke regular PSO2 anyway. At least not right off the bat.

When you say Portable 2, you don't mean Infinity AKA the one we never got, right? Also, having never played Phantasy Star Portable 2 but remembering what PSU was like (to a degree), I'm not sure if going from a full console to a handheld is actually a "graphical improvement".

Either way, me making that comparison is just a personal dealio. I can't shake the feeling of SOMETHING being wrong, with how little has been shown. Personally, for me to feel more at ease, they'd need to showcase AT LEAST 2 or 3 more areas/enemy types before I truly feel that this is an actual overhaul and not a totally new game/attempt at ARR.

Considering how much I've enjoyed PSO2 since it came out officially in JP (which was when I started playing; you can check my post history if you're skeptical), you're not wrong about PSO2 itself being a good game. However, it's done a lot of things since then which have given me the feeling of the developers having some kind of fatigue towards the game itself (either that, or the systems currently in place aren't capable of doing what the developers want; my personal opinion is the former, tbh).

I dunno, just... ever since the crunching of Free Fields that slowly began in Episode 3 - which got worse in Episode 4, and were obliterated in Episode 5 altogether - I've been slowly feeling like the team working on PSO2 is straight up sick and tired of working on it, and wants to break from it and make something fresh. Not that I'd blame them for doing so, but at least be open about it and tell us if that's the case, shareholder intimidation be damned.

EDIT: Again, just my opinions - I'm probably wrong, and I'll be happy to admit such if and when the proof presents itself. But my own personal gut just feels something's not right here.

Kondibon
Jul 23, 2020, 03:15 PM
When you say Portable 2, you don't mean Infinity AKA the one we never got, right? Also, having never played Phantasy Star Portable 2 but remembering what PSU was like (to a degree), I'm not sure if going from a full console to a handheld is actually a "graphical improvement".I meant in terms of mechanical overhaul. I pretty clearly said "graphic updates aside". Again, I'm pretty sure the graphic updates are just due to being able to get away from Vita support.

As for the rest of your stuff I think it's pretty clear to everyone that the game had a serious case of feature bloat that's been needing to get looked at and overhauled in general. Between the skill trees, the bunch of quest formats, and everything else, SOMETHING like this was a long time coming. It could still be an entirely new game, and I don't really see a problem with that outside of basically fucking over the NA players, which would make the NA release timing kind of weird. But comparing it to ARR implies basically redoing the core of the game, but the actual GAMEPLAY style seems basically the same, so at most they'd probably be trimming the fat and making a more holistic experience instead of the patchwork of random game modes and temporary content.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a bit apprehensive that they didn't show much old content off either if it's meant to be an overhaul to the existing game, but this is pretty clearly a "look at the new shiny open world" trailer.

MikonX
Jul 23, 2020, 03:35 PM
I'm not sure why there's discussion as to if this an update or a new entirely separate game; Bumped spells it out quite clearly.

https://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-new-genesis-announced-for-pc-xbox-1/

In celebration of Phantasy Star Online's 20th Anniversary, a new title for the series was announced. Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis updates PSO2's game and graphic engine.

Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.

NightlightPro
Jul 23, 2020, 03:37 PM
Wow this whole comment is so wrong.

PSO2 started development when PSOBB was still around. It had it's first alpha tests in 2011. What games are capable of now are immense compared to when PSO2 was created, and back then even without the graphics 6 setting the game looked beautiful for it's generation. PSO2 was exactly what they envisioned and wanted, it's just that as technology continued to improve the game just got outdated. This is by no means "what PSO2 should have been" because the game always WAS what they meant it to be.

They've been working on this update for a while, there was rumors about it way back at the 15th anniversary festival and even more rumors at the pso2fes last year (albeit everyone joked pso3). I'm glad it turned out to be real because the game really needs an overhaul, here's praying they finally cut out all the clutter (looking at you non NT weapons and outdated content).

let me clarify you this:

EP4-EP5 was when SEGA has started making mistakes

what did you really like from it since then?

the whole content was all wrong and they were just running out of creativity to keep PSO2 still a cool game, and it all ended up with ruining it even more and more, until they realized that all they needed was something else like brand new.

Well now we all know what it is? and will it replace all the things that went wrong with PSO2 (or atleast i hope)

Batty
Jul 23, 2020, 03:47 PM
If this is actually an overhaul to the current pso2, then thats one MASSIVE overhaul. I wouldn't even compare it to FFXIV ARR level of overhaul, you can still see elements of the original version 1 on ARR. New Genesis being an update to pso2 looks more like if FFXI or GW transformed into FFXIV/GW2 by means of a patch update instead of being different games. How many gbs would an update like that add if the current game is allready about 82gb size?

Kondibon
Jul 23, 2020, 04:06 PM
Seems pretty self-explanatory to me.That could go either way though. It's super vague. "A new title" could imply an entirely new game, but expansions are often referred to that way as well. You can make a new game using an updated version of an earlier engine, but you can also just update the engine to a game and add to it without making an entirely new game.

LinkEP
Jul 23, 2020, 04:18 PM
I think we're finally going to ragol. Something will happen with the Arks Ships (Oracle Fleet) and they will build the pioneers 1 and 2.
I highly disagree, Coralians built the Pioneer Project due to war and over-population (https://youtu.be/FB9_MHx05qE?t=175) (@2:55), turning their homeworld polluted and inhabitable. Plus, PSO1 Newman race have a poor lifespan, they die randomly (http://www.ripplinger.us/camineet/psoscript/waterfalltears.asp) (until they were fixed by Mother Trinity). They don't look consistent with PSO2.

Alucard V
Jul 23, 2020, 04:56 PM
[QUOTE=Maulcun;3476906]I think we're finally going to ragol. Something will happen with the Arks Ships (Oracle Fleet) and they will build the pioneers 1 and 2.

I always figures if they ever brought in Ragol into PSO2's story would be part of the backstory as a First Contact with the Dark Force kinda deal. The Government chocks it up as a failure sweeps it under the rug and all that's left of it when you go to find the truth is a Dead World going though some weird time shifts. Something a kin to Zelda Skyward Sword's Lanayru Mining Facility game playwise.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 05:46 PM
I am ultra hyped but confused as fuck, they were vague about character transfers but ppl have decked out their gear recently etc, im at a loss here

cheapgunner
Jul 23, 2020, 05:56 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/hwj7d9/pso2_new_genesis_announced/fyzz93h/

From the user who posted this: [spoiler-box]Confirmed to be a major overhaul of the base game of some sort. Current PSO2 characters will transfer over. Global launch is planned. [/spoiler-box]

Twitter post from Pso2: https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/1286345828773367815

LinkEP
Jul 23, 2020, 06:09 PM
I always figures if they ever brought in Ragol into PSO2's story would be part of the backstory as a First Contact with the Dark Force kinda deal. The Government chocks it up as a failure sweeps it under the rug and all that's left of it when you go to find the truth is a Dead World going though some weird time shifts. Something a kin to Zelda Skyward Sword's Lanayru Mining Facility game playwise.
That sounds not right. Poumn, Muut, and Ditts civilization were responsible for trapping/sealing Dark Falz in Ragol, and no mentions regarding those 3 planets in PSO2 (as of now)..

RadiantLegend
Jul 23, 2020, 06:19 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/PSO2/comments/hwj7d9/pso2_new_genesis_announced/fyzz93h/

From the user who posted this: [spoiler-box]Confirmed to be a major overhaul of the base game of some sort. Current PSO2 characters will transfer over. Global launch is planned. [/spoiler-box]

Twitter post from Pso2: https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/1286345828773367815
I don't think the question is if characters transfer but what items/costumes will. No reason going all out on current content if it is going to become nothing.

mother clusterfck
Jul 23, 2020, 06:44 PM
PSO2 is still far too popular and most people far too heavily invested in it for it to make sense for anyone at all that Sega would bring out a new big online rpg as successor, for a very long time they will only add games people can play on the side like Idola or PS Nova at best related to PSO2 (of course it's unrelated to their other franchises).

That aside, I I'm extremely hyped for this udate, the new PSU style enemies look amazing and so do the rest of the graphics. I wonder if we'll get another class with that update that can use Saber / handgun and dual wield Saber + handgunI like was possible in PSU (or maybe just PSP).
Also the ui is really just the exact same as PSO2 but using different graphics.

And lets hope that waifu faces get fixed. Tier 6 is superior in almost every aspect to tier 5 graphics except that the shadows needed to make the game look good in general also mean all sorts of hairstyles cast fairly dark shadows on our waifu's faces which can make them look worse than before at times.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 06:59 PM

ya just hoping its not just a name/visual transfer only thing and even if we do move over with current gear, its an expansion basically, it'll get replaced anyways so we won't be holding on to them too long. however, as much as I still want those international servers, doesn't seem like its going to happen with what systems they announced it for in their respective regions unless that changes some time close to the release of Genesis.

Going to have an influx of PS4/5 fanboys complaining about it still not being playable for NA again :wacko:

cheapgunner
Jul 23, 2020, 07:06 PM
I don't think the question is if characters transfer but what items/costumes will. No reason going all out on current content if it is going to become nothing.

Well, we will just have to wait till more info on items/costumes. I feel like costumes/accessories is easily doable but weapons idunno. Wouldn't hurt me if this new expansion forces you to leave all your super grinded and maxxed gear though.This does open up to having new weapons/classes for PSO2 however.

oratank
Jul 23, 2020, 07:16 PM
vita cross play was a big mistake

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 07:18 PM
vita cross play was a big mistake

Vita play is literally on nobodies minds anymore, good riddance

the_importer_
Jul 23, 2020, 07:23 PM
PSO2 in 4K, I fucken called it (mind you, I was expecting it last month, not next year, but close enough).

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 07:27 PM
PSO2 in 4K, I fucken called it (mind you, I was expecting it last month, not next year, but close enough).

you whined about it more than calling it and it's coming in the form of an expansion and game overhaul

Knightsword
Jul 23, 2020, 07:30 PM
They'll probably solve the gear and leveling issue by doing what they before with PSO and PSU and raise the cap to 200.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 07:37 PM
They'll probably solve the gear and leveling issue by doing what they before with PSO and PSU and raise the cap to 200.

at this point now, Lv200 is definitely back on the table

Knightsword
Jul 23, 2020, 07:47 PM
My question is will the NA and JP clients be identical and allow for both languages if they are indeed going for global play.

Dugs
Jul 23, 2020, 07:51 PM
Doubtful, they have entirely different platforms listed for what you can play on.

starwind75043
Jul 23, 2020, 07:56 PM
First reaction was "Dam was Vita really holding Pso2 back that much?"

This appears to be a big graphical update + major class overhaul. If that all "Not EP7" is then i think its big success.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 08:11 PM
My question is will the NA and JP clients be identical and allow for both languages if they are indeed going for global play.

identical in content? very VERY likely, I'm sure JP will do specific collabs with stuff like Famitsu, Don Quijote (JP clothing brand) etc that NA probably won't see, possibly with some anime collabs or if anything both servers just get all that anyways and licensing doesn't become an issue for the game this time around. International servers doesn't seem likely at all again because as I said before, they listed off the release for their respective region/consoles

locutus442
Jul 23, 2020, 08:12 PM
Looks good. Now if they would only get the NA PC version off of Microsoft store and onto something else (like Steam) then I would be quite happy.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 08:15 PM
Looks good. Now if they would only get the NA PC version off of Microsoft store and onto something else (like Steam) then I would be quite happy.

they should have that issue fixed by then but you know, its the MS store still

the_importer_
Jul 23, 2020, 08:17 PM
First reaction was "Dam was Vita really holding Pso2 back that much?"

This appears to be a big graphical update + major class overhaul. If that all "Not EP7" is then i think its big success.

I hope they'll at least keep a story of some sort, I'd hate this to become an MMO equivalent of a battle royal.

Rukyius
Jul 23, 2020, 09:46 PM
I'm interested in this I can say.

MakanaAzusa
Jul 23, 2020, 10:25 PM
Can anyone confirm that this is an update or a new game ?

Also provide sources not I will count it as speculation

Coatl
Jul 23, 2020, 10:31 PM
Can anyone confirm that this is an update or a new game ?

No. And no one knows exactly what will transfer over either.

the_importer_
Jul 23, 2020, 10:52 PM
No. And no one knows exactly what will transfer over either.

Reasons why this will be the same game:

1- Their 10 year commitment for PSO2 "ends" in 2022
2- Why use the "Phantasy Star Online 2" name if it's a new game?
3- They would risk loosing too many players from their main market (Japan) who may NOT want to start over, remember, PSO2 has been declared the mosty popular MMO in Japan
4- Everything ties into my theory:
-PSO2 gets released in Japan
-PSO2 gets announced for outside of Japan and gets's stalled for a couple of years
-SEGA realizes it's too much trouble, wants to back down but MS approaches them
-They pull down the old English website in 2017, people think that the game is cancelled for the west
-MS starts working on the XB1 version
-Meanwhile, MS starts footing the bill for an engine upgrade to make the game NOT look like it's from 2008 and SEGA starts working on it
-The XB1 western version gets announced on E3 2019
-The XB1 version gets released with official 4K resolution option
-MS releases the PC JPN version with a translation and tries to make us believe that it's a Windows 10 App
-SEGA announces a huge update which is NOT EP7
-SEGA announces Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

MakanaAzusa
Jul 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
You all have been going on and on like you all know everything on what is going on.

I am going to put a stop to all this farce and just ask this question:

SOURCE PLEASE!!! NO SOURCE AND IT WILL BE TREATED AS SPECULATION

Demon-
Jul 23, 2020, 11:30 PM
Yo what the hell is going on? Who the hell told Sega there is a world outside Japan? All that Microsoft money coming in I guess.

You know whats funny is that the US site says Windows10/XBOXOne but japanese site says PS4/Switch.

the_importer_
Jul 23, 2020, 11:32 PM
You all have been going on and on like you all know everything on what is going on.

Are you questioning my powers of predictions? Arrest this infidel!!!!

loafhero
Jul 23, 2020, 11:50 PM
The graphics are giving me uneasy Jump Force feelings.

I wish they focused on art style over graphics. A good art style can last a LONG time.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 23, 2020, 11:51 PM

Here let me spoon feed you info thats literally out there already (ignore the laughing stock that is the_importer) and if you're in Fleet Discord, basically the info is in a long post

Literally on PSO2's NA/JP's Youtube channels
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/189991240782053376/735965140062568458/unknown.png

Twitter post asking about character transfers that doesn't remotely clear up the important stuff (your gear, meseta, phasion collection etc) besides the already assumed character name and your character build
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/189991240782053376/736012450931146762/unknown.png

and w/e is on Reddit

In short: This is an overhaul of the current game and it might as well be an expansion and beyond too, not a new game or w/e

UNTIL Sega talks more about it AKA the stream coming up in 2 weeks (which they are going to talk about it there since it's one of their topics), nobody knows more than whats already common knowledge by now and whats in the trailer. Thats it

EDIT: forgot about the obvious; http://www.bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-new-genesis-announced-for-pc-xbox-1/

エリュシオン
Jul 24, 2020, 12:54 AM
Has anyone brought up how PSO2 is a cloud based game where all our data connects into multiple things outside of the main game? ES and IDOLA both use basic information about your account to transfer data between the games. With this I feel that's what they mean by you will be able to transfer your character, I feel since it was brought up how this is suppose to be an overhaul basic things such as character data will be able to be read from base PSO2. It seems like characters might not be exactly 1:1 to base PSO2 but, it most likely will be close enough.
I apologize if someone already brought up this point or idea and this becomes redundant.

As for things like cosmetics, maybe they will have some transfer over to NG. Just how when you update your character on PSO2 the first accessory slot is read from your cloud data onto ES and your character is updated on ES. I could see them adding a few accessories we already have on base PSO2 onto NG and through your cloud data that's how things would transfer over.

Reginaldo
Jul 24, 2020, 01:19 AM
New video with more details was just posted.

https://youtu.be/GSJ_q-0ZyDk

Sizustar
Jul 24, 2020, 01:24 AM
New video with more details was just posted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSJ_q-0ZyDk

And info too
http://pso2.jp/players/news/26483/

Basicly, it's another game, with some shared stuff, like PSO2 a nd PSO2es

Character can go between both, but level, exp, skill ring, room item, boost, usable and material is not transferable
Character can be transfer
AC and SG is shared
Meseta and Fun is not share
Weapon, Unit and Mag is share, but will have different stat and property in each version

Dark Mits
Jul 24, 2020, 01:28 AM
That giant robot they fight, I don't know why but for some reason it reminds me of Regius. Maybe the torso - waist - leg ratios?

What about EMEA regions? :-(

The graphics showcased are most likely the highest setting the game will support at release (or their current beta build). We will need to know what the lowest settings will look like and what the requirements will be for steady 60fps in action, because some of us are still on older pcs. Not to mention that for online games the bottleneck first hit is most often the CPU and not the GPU.

Sizustar
Jul 24, 2020, 01:34 AM

DrCatco
Jul 24, 2020, 01:53 AM

Thank you for the video.

This answer the main question of whether PSO2:NGS is an update or a new game.

PSO2:NGS is a new game, able to use the same database of PSO2, and set in the same universe, just ~1000 years in the future.

I suppose SEGA wants PSO2 to die gracefully. Good choice.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 24, 2020, 01:59 AM
well alright! those vids couldn't come at a better time with ample amount of clarification and stress reducing stuff. now I wonder how our gear over time will change considering all the high end stuff sounds like it'll be reduced heavily or something

Anduril
Jul 24, 2020, 02:01 AM
Fingers move. That's all I needed to know.

loafhero
Jul 24, 2020, 02:03 AM
The new graphics only makes the character models from PSO2 look weirder than the monsters.

wefwq
Jul 24, 2020, 02:08 AM
The new graphics only makes the character models from PSO2 look weirder than the monsters.
You can already make a goblin even with current graphics.

Ranmaru
Jul 24, 2020, 02:11 AM
I'm happy to see this. I will certainly keep playing PSO2 this year, and play NG when it comes out. Hype.

Symphie
Jul 24, 2020, 02:21 AM
I think my biggest concern with this update and these "open field" maps is if things are going to change in regards to latency. Hopefully not, since playing on JP atm is great since lag don't matter at all.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 24, 2020, 02:31 AM

You can just change them to your preference you know, default characters has always looked ugly for some reason.

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 02:34 AM

You should google "Coral Phantasy Star" and learn your PSO lore before speculating such things :wacko:

Maulcun
Jul 24, 2020, 02:42 AM
New infos add

ralf542
Jul 24, 2020, 02:42 AM
Still no EU version?

oratank
Jul 24, 2020, 02:47 AM
lol what 1000 years after pso2 this is clearly a pso3. Why did they still keep a pso2 name when it turn out to be a new game?try to fool a license law and transfer pso2 collab to this game like es?

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 03:10 AM
If after 1000 years ARKS still are active, I guess that's good news lol If only they will not put us in cryosleep for 1000 years and instead make us do a new character (even if identical) that would be even better, why can't my pso2 character have a good ending in pso2? lol

Maulcun
Jul 24, 2020, 03:13 AM
New job openings

http://pso2.jp/players/recruit/#globalNav

oratank
Jul 24, 2020, 03:19 AM
If after 1000 years ARKS still are active, I guess that's good news lol If only they will not put us in cryosleep for 1000 years and instead make us do a new character (even if identical) that would be even better, why can't my pso2 character have a good ending in pso2? lol

so you guess our character will turn ourself to become a shiva like to seal PD then spend 1000 years to cleanse dark factor in cryosleep

loafhero
Jul 24, 2020, 03:30 AM
You can just change them to your preference you know, default characters has always looked ugly for some reason.

Wouldn't matter how much I change it when the textures are the same. You'll still get a plastic toy action figure-looking person in a high definition world.

The graphics look bad to me. Like they took assets from the engine they're using and not giving it any touch ups.

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 03:40 AM
so you guess our character will turn ourself to become a shiva like to seal PD then spend 1000 years to cleanse dark factor in cryosleep
Maybe, even Zero did that in another way, if you character was a CAST, it was the same CAST from two centuries ago, if it was a newman it was a clone, and if it was human it was supposedly a relative with the same face.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 24, 2020, 03:50 AM
Still no EU version?

for the millionth time, nothing is holding any of you EU players back from already playing NA OR JP, pick a server/platform of choice and move on already

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 04:09 AM
I suppose SEGA wants PSO2 to die gracefully. Good choice.

It's probably more like a soft introduction to the new thing, as a new thing, content will be little at start, but now they can send you back to the original pso2 if you want content lol

for the millionth time, nothing is holding any of you EU players back from already playing NA OR JP, pick a server/platform of choice and move on already

It's a pain to buy cash for the NA server without pso2es. It will be a greater pain, or an impossible wall, once it releases in Steam, if we want to play it on that platform.

sol_trigger
Jul 24, 2020, 04:25 AM
Wouldn't matter how much I change it when the textures are the same. You'll still get a plastic toy action figure-looking person in a high definition world.

The graphics look bad to me. Like they took assets from the engine they're using and not giving it any touch ups.

u blind ? or an automatic hater ?

ArcaneTechs
Jul 24, 2020, 04:49 AM
It's a pain to buy cash for the NA server without pso2es. It will be a greater pain, or an impossible wall, once it releases in Steam, if we want to play it on that platform.

explain to me how much of a pain it is then if you're already playing JP and either buying through ES or unfortunately 3rd party sites for webmoney codes where as on NA you're buying basically US XBL gift cards. I mean yes, I can see EU PC players suffering a bit there but wouldn't you have your Win10 account linked to an XBL account anyways to just add funds? and wouldn't Tweaker negate the MS store/Steam Launchers anyways???

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 04:57 AM
I may want to play both, and spend money in both, and yes, buying webmoney WAS a pain, thanks to pso2es that's no longer a pain, I just buy with my card through google, done. Having to buy prepaid currency from an import amazon site to buy another currency in the game is a pain.

Dark Mits
Jul 24, 2020, 05:30 AM
It's not that there is no way to play on those areas, it's that there is no official support for any issues. If I have trouble with purchases or my account details for any reason, not only will Support refuse to help me, they might even permaban my account on the spot.

It's very similar to saying that you can play Nintendo games on your PC. It is 100% possible. But we have to resort to using non-supported 3rd-party software and break the ToU / EULA to experience something out of official channels.

I am currently on JP server since 2014. But I know that if for any reason something happens to my account, including an accidental suspension due to false positive from cheat detection programs, I will be unable to recover my account. This is entirely different from games like WoW, where I have direct contact with Support and solved issues that were out of my hand.

loafhero
Jul 24, 2020, 06:04 AM
u blind ? or an automatic hater ?

What're you, nine years old? I wouldn't be criticising the visuals if I didn't care for the series.

sol_trigger
Jul 24, 2020, 06:11 AM
What're you, nine years old? I wouldn't be criticising the visuals if I didn't care for the series.

all you did in this thread was shitting on how the game looks bad and you keep repeating that. nobody cares about your artistic screech so stop doing that

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 06:24 AM
Well, I was actually expecting them to adopt the "cell shaded anime" formula for the next game, I also think the plastic surface gets old sooner, there is a point where they have to morph to a more realistic design, like the dead or alive series had to do.

Cyclon
Jul 24, 2020, 07:17 AM
I like very little of what was actually presented to us, but the potential carries the announcement on its own for me. While I love PSO2, I've wanted them to clean the slate for so long by now. Hopefully these past 8 years have been a learning experience for them.

Not everyone in the EU speaks english. Most don't as a matter of fact.

rokkuman
Jul 24, 2020, 07:36 AM
Well, I was actually expecting them to adopt the "cell shaded anime" formula for the next game, I also think the plastic surface gets old sooner, there is a point where they have to morph to a more realistic design, like the dead or alive series had to do.

I actually think it will age quite well, it looks very realistic. The faces, on the other hand... Hopefully, they won't look as weird as they do whenever it releases. I really like the visuals overall, but they give me Xenoblade X vibes: everything looks gorgeous but the faces feel uncanny.

loafhero
Jul 24, 2020, 07:43 AM
you keep repeating that.

Yeah, its called replying and defending my argument. If no one cared, I'd never see a response, like how you're getting super sensitive at me expressing criticism.

Since you're getting salty about it, I'll say it again; the graphics are underwhelming and looks like an Unreal Engine 4 tech demo. Colors look washed out, particle effects have too much bloom and character models have dated textures that don't match the new enviroment.

Cel-shading like in Blue Protocol would've been a better alternative.

Ezodagrom
Jul 24, 2020, 07:43 AM
Still no EU version?
This is all we know so far:

We are also working hard to introduce this legendary online action RPG to a global audience this year. We will have more information about the regions where the game will become available in the near future.
https://pso2.com/news/announcements/roadmap

If the english version were to release in EU and include EU ships, that would mean lower ping for us EU players (even if the game is quite playable with higher ping, there's still a few downsides), more likely to find players in our timezones, urgent/emergency quest schedules that are actually set for our timezone (while the JP one isn't too bad, the NA one is terrible for EU timezones), and also the possibility of localization in other main EU languages.

rokkuman
Jul 24, 2020, 08:13 AM
I'm so excited, I hope we get Xenoblade levels of exploration. Loved the game for its combat alone, exploration will make it a new beast :)

Can y'all imagine the mechs??

Batty
Jul 24, 2020, 08:38 AM
so we can transfer our characters between games, it sounds interesting also that they are upgrading the normal pso2 engine too according to that info.

They didn't mentioned though if all the accesories/armor our characters have will be transfered over. some of us have heavily modified characters for example 42334

DrCatco
Jul 24, 2020, 08:59 AM
so we can transfer our characters between games, it sounds interesting also that they are upgrading the normal pso2 engine too according to that info.

They didn't mentioned though if all the accesories/armor our characters have will be transfered over. some of us have heavily modified characters for example 42334

I wouldn't say is a transfer. Is more a reuse of your PSO2's character data in PSO2:NGS: we now know that the 2 games will be active at the same time.

Bellex
Jul 24, 2020, 09:22 AM
The prices of AC and SG items is going to skyrocket with that announcement.

I wonder if there will be a class sytem?

oratank
Jul 24, 2020, 09:38 AM

thanks to that announcement. Meseta kinda dirt now people try to turn it to anything that can take to NG especially SG

rokkuman
Jul 24, 2020, 10:06 AM

Probably? I remember an interview in which the devs mention they wanted to implement a "use any weapon you want" philosophy, maybe something like that?

Klubbah
Jul 24, 2020, 10:19 AM

At the very least, on this page https://pso2.com/news/announcements/pso2ngsannouncement it says

Weapons

While the fundamental weapon design will not change, their stats, augments, and potentials will. Additionally, some higher-rarity weapons may not be equippable until your character has reached a certain level. For weapons pertaining to classes that have not yet been added to PSO2: NGS, they will be unusable until the relevant class has been released.

Moffen
Jul 24, 2020, 12:10 PM
Probably? I remember an interview in which the devs mention they wanted to implement a "use any weapon you want" philosophy, maybe something like that?

After reading this, it hit me that PSO2NG might use Phantasy Star Nova's skill board system, where you could unlock skills from other classes and apply them to whatever class you wanted, there was plenty variety and freedom to make your own builds while being just restrictive enough to make you not ridiculous.

I'm fully expecting that, it'd explain why the CG trailer bit showed the protag pull out a rifle after using a sword.
I'm assuming Phantom Rifle and Ranger rifle isnt a seperate thing anymore, they've both been completely merged.
Same with Hunter and Hero sword.

Also note: Rod use with the giant rainbow beam, it used the Photon blast icon for activation, so i think Photon Blasts will act like the current complex PA's, and mags will serve a purpose similar to the ones in Phantasy Star Universe and chill out in your room and help you craft stuff.

LinkEP
Jul 24, 2020, 12:15 PM
imagine cosplaying as Link and equipping Master Sword camo while in NGS forest, feels like playing Breath of the Wild. lol

rokkuman
Jul 24, 2020, 12:15 PM
Also note: Rod use with the giant rainbow beam, it used the Photon blast icon for activation, so i think Photon Blasts will act like the current complex PA's, and mags will serve a purpose similar to the ones in Phantasy Star Universe and chill out in your room and help you craft stuff.

I think the PB icon was a placeholder for the complex PA/Tech.

cheapgunner
Jul 24, 2020, 12:45 PM
Never really thought about it till today, but do you guys think there's a chance some sort of beta testing phase of sorts will be held to get feedback from the community? And with NGS coming next year, do you suppose we'll have more LQs that give a decent rate of 13-15* gear and drops?

Cyclon
Jul 24, 2020, 01:19 PM
This reminded me that Sega really cannot make good PSO2 trailers to save their lives, by the way. This seems to generate next to zero excitement from people who aren't acquainted with the game:p I wish they were a bit better at this.

Bellex
Jul 24, 2020, 01:44 PM

I remember that. Itll be interesting if they did.

silo1991
Jul 24, 2020, 02:12 PM

PSO2 X Mabinogi confirm :P

rokkuman
Jul 24, 2020, 02:24 PM
This reminded me that Sega really cannot make good PSO2 trailers to save their lives, by the way. This seems to generate next to zero excitement from people who aren't acquainted with the game:p I wish they were a bit better at this.

People I know who aren't familiar with the series were quite interested in it because of the combat. Hopefully, they'll make more action trailers.

Alucard V
Jul 24, 2020, 02:30 PM
Maybe if Sega did more Single Player RPG stuff with it that wouldn't be the case.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 24, 2020, 03:28 PM
I may want to play both, and spend money in both, and yes, buying webmoney WAS a pain, thanks to pso2es that's no longer a pain, I just buy with my card through google, done. Having to buy prepaid currency from an import amazon site to buy another currency in the game is a pain.

You can buy digital XBL cards off Amazon for w/e the conversion rate is if you link an XBL account to your W10. If it's on Steam, I assume the same can be done with a digital Steam code as well

It's not that there is no way to play on those areas, it's that there is no official support for any issues. If I have trouble with purchases or my account details for any reason, not only will Support refuse to help me, they might even permaban my account on the spot.

You, me and a bunch of other people who have been playing since 2012 on JP servers have been in this situation for 8yrs+ now, why does this suddenly matter to you now?

It's very similar to saying that you can play Nintendo games on your PC. It is 100% possible. But we have to resort to using non-supported 3rd-party software and break the ToU / EULA to experience something out of official channels.

You, me and everyone else who's been playing PSO2 since 2012 to now have been breaking the ToS everytime you logged in to play, why does this suddenly AGAIN matter to you now?

I am currently on JP server since 2014. But I know that if for any reason something happens to my account, including an accidental suspension due to false positive from cheat detection programs, I will be unable to recover my account. This is entirely different from games like WoW, where I have direct contact with Support and solved issues that were out of my hand.

Repeat myself from what I said above, all of a sudden this matters to you after so many years. YES I get that having that support matters for your region and that if something accidentally happens it would be great to get it resolved quickly but again, you've had this issue for years and suddenly it's a big deal now because of a new release.

I seriously don't think the NA team really cares whether you play from EU or not, likely treated just like any other game that releases that allows NA/EU players to play together like normal

Never really thought about it till today, but do you guys think there's a chance some sort of beta testing phase of sorts will be held to get feedback from the community? And with NGS coming next year, do you suppose we'll have more LQs that give a decent rate of 13-15* gear and drops?

Ya why wouldn't they put out a test launch? just hopefully it's not some raffle of sorts again like they did with the Alpha/Beta test but it'll probably happen again anyways

Maulcun
Jul 24, 2020, 03:51 PM
My point is... in 2022 the PSO2 (Service) will be 10 years old, will they shut down the servers or will they just continue with NGS for another 10 years? And when the 30th anniversary arrives, will they finally launch a PSO3?

Cyclon
Jul 24, 2020, 04:11 PM
My point is... in 2022 the PSO2 (Service) will be 10 years old, will they shut down the servers or will they just continue with NGS for another 10 years? And when the 30th anniversary arrives, will they finally launch a PSO3?

I honestly never took the "10 years" quote as something to be taken literally. And while we can't say anything until we see what the reception to NG ends up being(neither can Sega, it seems very unlikely to me that it will only be supported for a year.

Regardless, for all intents and purposes this is PSO3 in everything but name if you ask me. This looks nothing like Blue Burst or Aoti.

Maninbluejumpsuit
Jul 24, 2020, 04:32 PM
I honestly never took the "10 years" quote as something to be taken literally. And while we can't say anything until we see what the reception to NG ends up being(neither can Sega, it seems very unlikely to me that it will only be supported for a year.

Regardless, for all intents and purposes this is PSO3 in everything but name if you ask me. This looks nothing like Blue Burst or Aoti.

I honestly gotta eat my words.
I laughed at the 10 year commitment they set years back, but on hitting the 8/9 year mark, I'll give SEGA this one.

Kondibon
Jul 24, 2020, 05:02 PM
The "10 year plan" thing got extended by 5 years a while ago due to the game's popularity. Which is probably why NGS is even happening.

landman
Jul 24, 2020, 05:31 PM
You can buy digital XBL cards off Amazon for w/e the conversion rate is if you link an XBL account to your W10. If it's on Steam, I assume the same can be done with a digital Steam code as well

Not buying the thing directly with my card, without leaving extra cash in the account because of rates or whatever, is still a pain, also paying more for what's cheaper doing it directly with pso2es (at least it was compared to buying webmoney).

Also Steam is very strict about switching regions, since they have some serious cheap prices in some regions, and don't want people switching there just to buy for cheap and then come back (like what people actually do in Xbox and Switch), I really doubt I would be able to access PSO2 in Steam unless it's officially launched in my region.

DaMan
Jul 24, 2020, 09:10 PM
I'm just relieved that the 2 games (PSO 2 +PSO2 New Genesis) can be played with the same character.
I was concerned that would be like PSU> Ambition of Illuminus on PS2 where if I upgraded my offline avatar to the new game
the old game is just a paperweight. (unplayable).

Alucard V
Jul 24, 2020, 10:20 PM
So just a odd thought but if NG out lives PSO2, if the world is open and explorable, and if they add new planets and races with expansions/DLC, what would you guys and girls what to see out of it?

For me if they ever did another "Japan Planet" I wouldn't mind seeing a Tailed Beast Men race.Foxes, Raccoon, maybe even Monkeys. God knows Dragon Ball nerds would flip for Monkey Man. But really hit the folklore vibe. It would be nice.

Meteor Weapon
Jul 24, 2020, 11:08 PM
They had a 1000 years span of gap Oracle not discovering any other civilization would be super weird.

mother clusterfck
Jul 24, 2020, 11:26 PM
lol what 1000 years after pso2 this is clearly a pso3. Why did they still keep a pso2 name when it turn out to be a new game?try to fool a license law and transfer pso2 collab to this game like es?
Inb4 some time travel stuffs only for your character to justify why we use the same character in both games.

Anyway, basically forget everything I said before, the 2nd trailer (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbQCZ2j5nZE) is quite worrisome. NG is basically a game being birthed off PSO2 and it feels like Sega is trying to convert as much of the pso2 player base to NG as possible before cutting off PSO2.

Though maybe we get lucky and it will be more like FF11 which apparently got a major content update as recent as this march despite FF14 already going strong for years.

NG does look amazing and I will definitely play it but tbh I realyl dislike that it sounds more and more like using generic mmorpg mechanics which I hate because they are not remotely as good in praxis as in theory. It always sounds amazing to play with tons of people and do epic quests but in fields what truly happens is that the numbers almost totally isolate you socially because there are so many people it's the equivalent of a small village (single party content) vs a large city, when there are 20+ other people in the same field there is just nothing connecting you to others at all.

Since Sega seems to covet generic rpgs they might also add generic quest chains which would be even worse because it's single player content with gameplay together with others but your own quest progress is different from almost everyone else so inevitably before long you will get separated. In PSO2 it's just about what you want to do but in generic mmorpgs to get any progress done before reaching endgame you have to finish most story quests since they easily offer the best rewards so not finishing those feels like doing e.g. Quarry exploration in SH when actually you want to do Divide Quests because you really want some Stil weapons.

No idea what will happen but ever since ep 5 was generic fantasy and sega added fishing and gathering like in mmorpgs I felt that Sega is coveting generic mmorpgs, maybe because of the success of FF11 and FF14 so after seeing the 2nd NG trailer I wouldn't wonder if it has a number of other generic mmorpg mechanics.

landman
Jul 25, 2020, 02:38 AM
what would you guys and girls what to see out of it?
Post nuclear Apocalypse planet Earth, with a derelict nuked Alisa III, and Phaleg being Queen of the roaches.

They had a 1000 years span of gap Oracle not discovering any other civilization would be super weird.
I bet ARKS know of a lot of planets we have never seen in PSO2, if Darkers don't attack them there is no reason for them to go.

Dark Mits
Jul 25, 2020, 02:55 AM
You, me and a bunch of other people who have been playing since 2012 on JP servers have been in this situation for 8yrs+ now, why does this suddenly matter to you now?It's not that it suddenly matters now, it always mattered. I would have started in EU server back in 2012 if I had the option. But I didn't, and "succumbed" to following the unofficial solution in 2014. That doesn't mean that I wouldn't want it to be a "baseline" feature.

Consider the damage meters. They are officially not supported, and can lead to permanent suspension if caught using one. But I expect that at least half of us on this site alone uses one. That does not mean that we should not still ask for an official one, or that it suddenly started mattering if we ask for it.

Now that I said the above, can anyone on the official NA or JP forums ask for a baked-in dps meter?

Tymek
Jul 25, 2020, 06:15 AM

The planets are there; just not mentioned, like Makia/Machia from PS Nova. Heck, Season3 of PSO2es even introduced a brand new planet, Carnabede. There's also the "Orakio Kingdom" from which Alis (the Shop Area NPC wearing one of the Orakio outfits) hails.

Batty
Jul 25, 2020, 10:13 AM
speaking of PSO2es, it seems odd that after regleting the game for so many years, Sega has finally decided to do ties with their NA counterpart enough to not only just bring the game outside of japan, but release their next title alongside them. Yet they still neglect to bring PSO2es to the west?

silo1991
Jul 25, 2020, 11:03 AM
speaking of PSO2es, it seems odd that after regleting the game for so many years, Sega has finally decided to do ties with their NA counterpart enough to not only just bring the game outside of japan, but release their next title alongside them. Yet they still neglect to bring PSO2es to the west?

if comes to west surely will be ultra censor by 4kids XD

loafhero
Jul 25, 2020, 11:19 AM
So just a odd thought but if NG out lives PSO2, if the world is open and explorable, and if they add new planets and races with expansions/DLC, what would you guys and girls what to see out of it?

Probably a post-apocalypse world but not the Mad Max kind, rather, the beautiful but sad kind with a lot of abandoned vehicles, overgrown plant life, ruined but still standing buildings, signs of people having lived there before, signs of war or other kinds of conflict, roads etc.

I'm a sucker for melancholic moods such as Breath of the Wild's open world.

rokkuman
Jul 25, 2020, 11:57 AM

I have such a soft spot for floating lands. Bring back Amduskia and give us customizable flying mechs!

It's such a shame we never got to see badass Matoi from EP2 again.

MikonX
Jul 25, 2020, 12:19 PM

Yeah, so I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence since "regleting" isn't a word, but why would they bother to bring PSO2es to the west?

KaizoKage
Jul 25, 2020, 12:39 PM
Just give me the ability to call an AIS Vega and let me explore the woooorld of NGS

LinkEP
Jul 25, 2020, 01:06 PM
Just my wish and it may not happen: A planet/place where we can do underwater exploration (swim & battle). Adopt "Maruera Leaf/Gum" from Phantasy Star 2 to allow users to breathe underwater.

Alucard V
Jul 25, 2020, 05:11 PM
Post nuclear Apocalypse planet Earth, with a derelict nuked Alisa III, and Phaleg being Queen of the roaches.

I bet ARKS know of a lot of planets we have never seen in PSO2, if Darkers don't attack them there is no reason for them to go.

Probably a post-apocalypse world but not the Mad Max kind, rather, the beautiful but sad kind with a lot of abandoned vehicles, overgrown plant life, ruined but still standing buildings, signs of people having lived there before, signs of war or other kinds of conflict, roads etc.

I'm a sucker for melancholic moods such as Breath of the Wild's open world.

You know if you meshed these two ideas you might get something close to Nier: Atomiton.

loafhero
Jul 25, 2020, 11:19 PM
You know if you meshed these two ideas you might get something close to Nier: Atomiton.

OR Destiny's Old Russia or Destiny 2's Europe.

DrCatco
Jul 26, 2020, 01:36 AM

I would like us to wake up in a cryo chamber, just like we woke up in episode 4. Only instead of waking up in a ship in space, we would wake up in the ruins of what was an evacuation ship.

And that someone around us said, "oh, now this guy woke up." And that around me I saw other chambers, some open and empty, and others closed but still active.

And that, after a good stretch of story, it was increasingly clear that it is not the first time that I, or something else, have woken up.

(Idola)
Jul 26, 2020, 05:42 PM
Personally, I’m excited, it I’m trying to figure out why.

I mean, i played pso2 jp since 2012, and have so far ignored NA because i didn’t want to start over.

I don’t know what I should be playing for at this point. Anyone else in this situation?

Neith
Jul 26, 2020, 05:47 PM

I mean, i played pso2 jp since 2012, and have so far ignored NA because i didn’t want to start over.

I don’t know what I should be playing for at this point. Anyone else in this situation?

Likewise. Played PSO2JP since the second alpha test but not sure if NGS will be a good time to move over to US (assuming EU doesn't get an announcement for a release).

I suppose it depends how much you value your cosmetics in PSO2JP since they'll carry over to NGS. I'm personally not sure what I'm doing yet and it also depends on whether friends on JP servers want to make the switch too. Got a while to think about it at least!

Tymek
Jul 26, 2020, 05:47 PM

You should be playing the one you have put time and effort into.

mother clusterfck
Jul 26, 2020, 09:35 PM
Now that I think of it, aren't photoners like Luther at least thousands of years old anyway? And just how long is the oracle fleet around?
The trailer said 1000 years after Oracle? Or just 1000 years later? cause 1000 years later the Oracle fleet ought to be still around and possibly all the Cast NPCs as well, depending on how much preservative is used to keep their brains alive.

But if it is 1000 after Oracle that would mean an arbitrarily distant future. The Oracle Fleet is Photoner technology so it could still be around literally billions of years after the PSO2 story.

oratank
Jul 26, 2020, 10:44 PM
1000 years is the key event of phantasy star lore which is mean 1000 years after PD fight

NoobSpectre
Jul 26, 2020, 11:22 PM
This trailer preview is gorgeous and I'm very hyped, last time I am this excited is during Anthem and WC3Reforged trailer.

Can't wait to play the real game when it's released, I am fairly sure the MC face is way better this time and Open World is a nice concept.

quickasker
Jul 27, 2020, 12:19 AM
1000 years old Afin. nice

loafhero
Jul 27, 2020, 12:20 AM
This trailer preview is gorgeous and I'm very hyped, last time I am this excited is during Anthem and WC3Reforged trailer.

Jesus Christ how horrifying.

Cyclon
Jul 27, 2020, 01:49 AM
Likewise. Played PSO2JP since the second alpha test but not sure if NGS will be a good time to move over to US (assuming EU doesn't get an announcement for a release).

I suppose it depends how much you value your cosmetics in PSO2JP since they'll carry over to NGS. I'm personally not sure what I'm doing yet and it also depends on whether friends on JP servers want to make the switch too. Got a while to think about it at least!

Undecided as well, it will depend on my friends' enthusiasm I suppose. Currently the way I see it, there's not an immense difference between either version aside from JP having more content obviously, so instinctively I'd push them towards that one again so that I get to keep my characters and stuff as I've grown very attached to them... but that's assuming the tweaker translation team carries us again when they have considerably less of a direct reason to do so(should we start begging by the way? I'll beg, I don't care), and that Sega will even allow us to play without a vpn, among other things. Plus the prospect of creating all new characters is exciting too. Wait and see for now.

landman
Jul 27, 2020, 03:21 AM
Considering some of us have hundreds of lobby actions / emotes in the JP server, and very few in the NA server, and those transfer over according to the trailer (I think we don't have confirmation for clothes and accessories), that alone is reason enough to keep playing JP even in the new game for me. Now more than ever, I'd like shared servers at least in the new game lol

Ezodagrom
Jul 27, 2020, 03:54 AM

I'm thinking about something similar as well, been on JP since the 2nd alpha as well, and I'm considering playing in the EU version (NA's Ep 4 announcement mentions them wanting to bring PSO2 to a global audience this year). My decision is most likely gonna be based on how they handle this version.

If the EU version ends up having ships that are physically located in Europe, I'm very likely to start playing in the EU version (though I'm still gonna keep up with JP at the same time). Depending on how my EU progress goes until NGS releases, I could end up dropping the JP version for good by then? I guess the period between EU release and NGS release is gonna be like a trial period for me, to decide if it's worth moving to the EU version permanently or just stay on JP.

Even if I end up choosing to stay on JP by the end, there's a good chance that the NGS english patch won't be ready for some time, so I'll be able to use the EU version of NGS to more easily understand what's new and go back to JP once the patch is ready.

If the EU version ends up not having ships in Europe though, I probably won't bother. The US version is a no go for me since the EQ schedule is alot worse for the timezone where I live than the JP one. Plus why bother leaving a nearly 300ms ping server for a nearly 200ms one, doesn't feel like it would be worth it. ^^;

ratatosk
Jul 27, 2020, 08:10 AM
Considering some of us have hundreds of lobby actions / emotes in the JP server, and very few in the NA server, and those transfer over according to the trailer (I think we don't have confirmation for clothes and accessories), that alone is reason enough to keep playing JP even in the new game for me. Now more than ever, I'd like shared servers at least in the new game lol

i would think clothes and accessories would transfer too since base pso2 is getting the new graphics engine too so they'll have the models for them already made anyways

sol_trigger
Jul 27, 2020, 08:11 AM
NA is a shithole right now there is no reason to quit JP for it

ratatosk
Jul 27, 2020, 11:01 AM
NA is a shithole right now there is no reason to quit JP for it

How so other than the ms store sucking? I played it for a bit when it first came out but stopped because i missed my dear etoile too much.

sol_trigger
Jul 27, 2020, 11:11 AM
panis replica from the current scratch is 10m there with only 7 of them were listed on the market and the 8th is 500m, that bad.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 27, 2020, 02:50 PM
How so other than the ms store sucking? I played it for a bit when it first came out but stopped because i missed my dear etoile too much.

well its only a temporary issue right now, none of the gear coming from any of the new content matters until they release the stuff thats stronger than Nem/Slave NT, maybe just units are technically only important otherwise it's just an experience and cube dispenser at best. Oh ya and the Fresh Finds shop sorta locks out certain outfits where as in JP we can get those outfits anytime assuming the price is low and has a chance of revival versus straight SG purchase/lock.

Batty
Jul 27, 2020, 08:15 PM
Yeah, so I'm not sure what you meant by your first sentence since "regleting" isn't a word, but why would they bother to bring PSO2es to the west?

neglecting i meant, mb. Also why "wouldn't" they bother to bring pso2es to the west? If they bothered to at last bring pso2 to the west, and even plan to release the next title on the west at the same time, then why not bring the full package and bring pso2es too?

fullmetal24
Jul 27, 2020, 10:59 PM
Can't wait for the game.. I think it being on Xbox series X will be enough for me to make it a fresh start and start playing on the NA server.

Ezodagrom
Jul 28, 2020, 05:33 AM
August 7th JP broadcast will not have NGS related news, it'll be about PSO2 JP August and early September updates.
NGS related news will be handled separately from the current PSO2 broadcasts.

http://pso2.jp/players/news/26501/

Cyclon
Jul 28, 2020, 05:56 AM
August 7th JP broadcast will not have NGS related news, it'll be about PSO2 JP August and early September updates.
NGS related news will be handled separately from the current PSO2 broadcasts.

http://pso2.jp/players/news/26501/
Dang. Well that's a bummer and a half, even just having a date was really nice.

KaizoKage
Jul 28, 2020, 10:12 AM
now I wonder how the translation team will translate NGS... will they translate everything by themselves or will they "borrow" files from NA NGS lol

Aurorra
Jul 29, 2020, 01:49 AM
now I wonder how the translation team will translate NGS... will they translate everything by themselves or will they "borrow" files from NA NGS lol

Seems like the most efficient way would be to just shove the NA files into the JP files if they're both being updated at the same time.

Asellus
Aug 4, 2020, 07:48 PM
This is long overdue. PSO2 is old shit. The game has so many fundamental flaws that no amount of new outfits or accessories could fix. They probably started working on NGS when they saw that their hardcore base was falling away, myself and a lot of players that have been on since 2012. I would wonder sometimes how cool this game would be if they just opened the world and put an end to the recycled content.

otakun
Aug 4, 2020, 08:05 PM
This is long overdue. PSO2 is old shit. The game has so many fundamental flaws that no amount of new outfits or accessories could fix. They probably started working on NGS when they saw that their hardcore base was falling away, myself and a lot of players that have been on since 2012. I would wonder sometimes how cool this game would be if they just opened the world and put an end to the recycled content.

Pretty sure it started when they got the microsoft money. Also believe people are majorly over hyping this when they hear its a new game when we have no evidence of what everything entails. Claims of open world, no class system, weapon focused system with swapping on the fly, people be crazy.

Meteor Weapon
Aug 4, 2020, 08:22 PM
Its open field, most mmo arent exactly open world tbh.

ArcaneTechs
Aug 4, 2020, 09:22 PM

some of use hardcore players have still been here since Alpha/Beta testing days but I'd like to think they started NGS around Ep5 or so (though I agree with them pushing NGS faster thanks to MS money being poured in). Also the hiring openings like a year or two back also felt like a give away along with them pulling people away to work on main projects which again I feel was NGS this whole time. Though I don't disagree with most of the playerbase falling and of course cosmetics can't exactly be the only thing to keep this game running.

pso2god
Aug 5, 2020, 01:34 PM

https://i.imgur.com/12zoWjw.png

Coatl
Aug 5, 2020, 08:45 PM

PSO2 is like a newborn child compared to some of the bigger MMOs in the market, are you serious? And you're delusional if you think NG will magically stomp out all the problems you think PSO2 has.