PDA

View Full Version : NGS PSO2 New Genesis on Tokyo Game Show 2020 Online

Maulcun
Sep 8, 2020, 12:17 PM
https://tgs-online.eventos.tokyo/images/324/309/1214/31991-3ba24d5c-b75e-44fd-b12a-c09da99b7374.png

Sega Atlus TV

https://twitter.com/sega_pso2/status/1303319415853740034
https://tgs.sega.jp/program/

Schedule

Date: September 25 @ 21:00 ~ 22:00 (JST)
Automatic conversion time:https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=Sega+Atlus+TV&iso=20200925T21&p1=248&ah=1

Where to watch

Official Link Nico Nico [Japanese]: https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv327861774
Official Link YouTube [Japanese]: https://youtu.be/C1Z79qSlGNA
Official Link Periscope [Japanese]: https://www.periscope.tv/SEGA_OFFICIAL/1MnxndmOmvmGO
Official Link YouTube [English]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1va6E4D08rc&feature=emb_title

Hosts

Nasu Nakanishi, duo of comedians (Nakanishi Shigeki and Nasu Akiyuki)

Topics

New informations and gameplay of Phantasy Star Online 2: New Genesis

KaizoKage
Sep 8, 2020, 06:10 PM
Oh yes! finally some more info with New Genesis

Saryn_storm
Sep 12, 2020, 11:21 AM
Please introduce race change. Fingers crossed. I don't care if i have to pay (most likely would be paid service anyway) It's one thing i have wanted for years. I think there would a lot more race variety if it did exist.

silo1991
Sep 12, 2020, 12:41 PM
Please introduce race change. Fingers crossed. I don't care if i have to pay (most likely would be paid service anyway) It's one thing i have wanted for years. I think there would a lot more race variety if it did exist.

and i want PSO2NG character appearance in diferent files , for example , i have a character who is an ice boy in PSO2 vanilla , but in NG i want him to be grow up

loafhero
Sep 25, 2020, 09:04 AM
Things I like about the new gameplay:

- No more Perfect Attacks

- The Lobby is now on the planet instead of in the Ships

- Seamless transition between the Lobby and world i.e. Warframe Plains of Eidolon, Xenoblade X, etc.

- NO MORE LOADING SCREENS between sections of the map i.e. Monster Hunter World. Good riddance to that.

- No more Monomates to buy in the shop, replaced by "Resta Signs" that can only be picked up while exploring which I think is a design choice for the raids. Also, healing yourself will NOT STOP YOUR MOVEMENT!

- Max player count in an instance is reduced to 8-man

- Damage numbers have a more simple-looking font.

EDIT: Also, I dig the Elemental Damage Reaction mechanic where enemies could be immobilized or have certain attacks disabled after hitting them with their elemental weakness.

Cyclon
Sep 25, 2020, 09:04 AM
M'kay.
So, opinions:

- Open world:
Looked neat, ngl I spent a lot of time looking at the previous trailers so things felt... familiar. Monster Hunter style gathering is a bit meh, but then again gathering in PSO2 didn't exactly kill the game. I think it's fine.
Otherwise, seems like we'll be running around a lot, maybe too much actually. We can wall jump, though! That's cool.

- Just attacks are gone:
I think this was a mistake. Timing has always been a huge part of PSO, it keeps your brain active in combat and is inherently satisfying to master. I really, really hope there's a replacement.

- Five steps combo for melee, no combo for ranger and force:
Similarly, I've played too many games where you constantly have to go through the same basic attacks in the same order for several seconds to reach the one you wanted in the first place, and it just sucks every time. It's just repetitive and boring, and this plus the disappearance of JAs makes me genuinely question if I'll enjoy melee this time around. Honestly, three steps was the perfect sweetspot imo.
At least we can still use PAs at any point, thankfully.
The other two not having combos I think is fine. Rifle was already that way, and rod normals have always been for PP as far as I can remember.

"Just distance" for Ranger:
Not the official name. An interesting concept? Hopefully enemies will be a bit more mobile than in the showcase to keep things interesting, because you're very safe at that distance. Giving them a good weapon action was nice, dive roll always sucked.

Technic charging now completely modifies the tech:
So I've been a bit negative thus far, but I'm really psyched about this; it's straight up the system from PSZero, which I've been saying for years that they should go back to. Uncharged techs were just a waste of space in PSO2 outside of very specific builds, and that was a complete shame, on top of making Force gameplay a bit too slow paced and repetitive for my liking(until Phantom happened).
Even though Sword Hu had sleek new animations, Fo might be my go-to this time around, just because of this.

Overall, horrid translation aside(and I'm not blaming the translators, it's a very tough job and the hosts kept talking over each other), we were ultimately shown a lot of gameplay, so that's a win for me. While I don't agree with all the changes, at the very least they've clearly shown us that New Genesis is a new game, I don't think there's any doubt anymore.

silo1991
Sep 25, 2020, 10:13 AM
i like the changes but there is 1 thing i dont want to see and its PVP on freeroam , why ?

i remember in Tera on the very first area after the tutorial there was max level players who for just being A$%^%Es they killed every rookie around .

the funny thing is i remember i was a healer and along with 4 friends we struggle just for kill one of those bastards , then i revive him and we killed him again XD

wefwq
Sep 25, 2020, 10:42 AM
Sword counterattack looked satisfying.

Shoterxx
Sep 25, 2020, 10:46 AM
Hmm. I would like to see a way to play NG a bit more solo. Kinda like what you can do with current PSO2, where you can block off others from joining with a password.

Additionally, mobs in general seem somewhat less reactive to player damage, which to me was one of the better points of PSO2 when compared to MMOs. Now they just look like they have a single flinch animation, that flinches in no particular direction.

otakun
Sep 25, 2020, 07:47 PM
EDIT: Also, I dig the Elemental Damage Reaction mechanic where enemies could be immobilized or have certain attacks disabled after hitting them with their elemental weakness.

This is not a new mechanic, PSO2 already has this for enemies and bosses. Fire for the banthers, ice for meduna, and such.

Aurorra
Sep 25, 2020, 08:43 PM
This is not a new mechanic, PSO2 already has this for enemies and bosses. Fire for the banthers, ice for meduna, and such.

I think they mean it's built into the weapon's damage type now, instead of a status effect affix. So we won't just be having Light weapons for days.

loafhero
Sep 25, 2020, 10:46 PM
I think they mean it's built into the weapon's damage type now, instead of a status effect affix. So we won't just be having Light weapons for days.

Yeah, exactly. Looks like they're trying to make other elements actually viable.

oratank
Sep 29, 2020, 05:52 AM
"Just distance" for Ranger:
Not the official name. An interesting concept? Hopefully enemies will be a bit more mobile than in the showcase to keep things interesting, because you're very safe at that distance. Giving them a good weapon action was nice, dive roll always sucked

it's called optimal range in DeamonxMakina

Cyclon
Sep 29, 2020, 07:55 AM
it's called optimal range in DeamonxMakina
Apparently it's also a Monster Hunter thing. Which really begs the question of how much Worlds' success influenced NGS.
It proved that that type of games definitely had a place in the western market, then PSO2 global finally happened... and now JAs are gone, we have longer combos with big finishers, the game justifies its expansiveness by filling the landscape with resources to gather sometimes in the form of largely neutral monsters the parts of which you can cook for temporary buffs... and now ranged weapons function under the same principle in both games... it's pretty interesting.

Anduril
Sep 29, 2020, 12:48 PM
It seems to me more like they are just making Sharp Shooter an inherent mechanic of Rifles instead of a Skill, and maybe adding a bit more depth to it.

Kondibon
Sep 29, 2020, 03:40 PM
It seems to me more like they are just making Sharp Shooter an inherent mechanic of Rifles instead of a Skill, and maybe adding a bit more depth to it.

Yeah, the concept already existed with sharpshooter, since it starts before the damage fall off slightly, resulting in a sweet spot.

That said, there's nothing saying they weren't inspired by other games from the mechanic of sharpshooter in general either, since it's been a lot of the older MH games anyway. MH and the online phantasy star games have drawn inspiration from each-other pretty much the entire time both have been concurrent. A lot of things draw from MH in general.

Cyclon
Sep 30, 2020, 08:40 AM
Yeah, the concept already existed with sharpshooter, since it starts before the damage fall off slightly, resulting in a sweet spot.

That said, there's nothing saying they weren't inspired by other games from the mechanic of sharpshooter in general either, since it's been a lot of the older MH games anyway. MH and the online phantasy star games have drawn inspiration from each-other pretty much the entire time both have been concurrent. A lot of things draw from MH in general.

Does sharpshooter actually have a sweetspot? I can't find one at all.

But indeed, this isn't particularly new, and it's not like I have direct proof or anything.
... though assuming I'm not completely off base, I do hope we've been over most of the potential MH inspirations. Even beyond personal taste, I feel like it's actually important for PSO to be its own thing.

Kondibon
Sep 30, 2020, 11:11 AM
Does sharpshooter actually have a sweetspot? I can't find one at all.

But indeed, this isn't particularly new, and it's not like I have direct proof or anything.
... though assuming I'm not completely off base, I do hope we've been over most of the potential MH inspirations. Even beyond personal taste, I feel like it's actually important for PSO to be its own thing.Looking at the Swiki it seems like the "sweet spot" is super generous nowadays, since they increased the range before damage fall off happens a while ago, but it is still there I'm pretty sure.

Well, most of the similarities have either been stuf that's established for online games in general, or really simple engagement mechanics. I doubt NGS is going to literally be MH in space. PSO2 already has similarities to stuff popularized by MH, like breakable parts being tied to drops.

Cyclon
Sep 30, 2020, 01:34 PM
Looking at the Swiki it seems like the "sweet spot" is super generous nowadays, since they increased the range before damage fall off happens a while ago, but it is still there I'm pretty sure.

Well, most of the similarities have either been stuf that's established for online games in general, or really simple engagement mechanics. I doubt NGS is going to literally be MH in space. PSO2 already has similarities to stuff popularized by MH, like breakable parts being tied to drops.
Okay, that's news to me, admittedly. At the moment I can't get the bonus to fade before I'm out of autolock range.

... I think the best way I can put it is that inspirations are good when they add to the material(point in case, breakable parts), rather than replace what was unique about it, in my eye anyway. Ultimately I'm not worried this will be space MH either, there are very clear differences even right now. I didn't point at MH because I have a problem with it specifically either, it was just the most logical source in my eye.