PDA

View Full Version : NGS PSO2 New Genesis Prologue 1 (Official Broadcast)

Maulcun
Nov 23, 2020, 11:28 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw/ACtC-3c6Qlx7663CVl2HjOlTngkG092jUvpi4Dh4TWVRUab7e3stqJB hTVoAuGrjGkhoHlJP9feH1KpGT8VrudKGzgLKiahnvvaVsknSX 5r5U0GE9AbfzmtbFH8T1JniIb2CvrPEfJJLWp7k3eFjzZwtUOg U=w520-h273-no?authuser=0

Source

[Japanese] http://pso2.jp/players/news/27094/
[English] http://pso2.com/news/announcements/ngsbroadcast1123

Schedule

Date: December 19, 2020 @ 20:30 JST
Automatic conversion time: https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/fixedtime.html?msg=1%C2%BA+PSO2+New+Genesis+Offici al+Broadcast&iso=20201219T2030&p1=248

Where to watch

Official Link YouTube [Japanese]: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izNs4sj1qiU&feature=youtu.be
Official Link Periscope [Japanese]: Coming soon
Official Link YouTube [English]: Coming soon

Hosts

Hiro Arai (Main Host aka official navigator of PSO2 NGS)
Yuki Iwai (From the comedy duo Haraichi)
Akari Nibu (From the female idol group Hinatazaka 46)

Important Topics

New gameplay videos.
Details about Character Creation.

ArcaneTechs
Nov 24, 2020, 12:03 AM
finally something to look forward to

Cyclon
Nov 24, 2020, 02:17 PM
Took them a while, though at least I guess we all but know that it's not coming early 2021 at this point.
Excitement has lowered a good bit, not gonna lie. Doesn't help that it was very difficult to find discussion about this game anywhere. But hey, let's see what they've got.

Ransu
Nov 24, 2020, 09:44 PM
Considering they haven't been doing much to garner hype for the game it's no wonder it hasn't been talked about too much.

otakun
Nov 25, 2020, 05:26 AM
Took them a while, though at least I guess we all but know that it's not coming early 2021 at this point.
Excitement has lowered a good bit, not gonna lie. Doesn't help that it was very difficult to find discussion about this game anywhere. But hey, let's see what they've got.

I think there's news of it coming Spring 2021.

ArcaneTechs
Nov 26, 2020, 04:56 AM

idk if you heard but the the CEO or w/e the head guy of Sega Sammy during an interview accidentally leaked the release date time which is Spring, whether thats early, mid or late Spring, we dont know but its not as far away as you think

mother clusterfck
Nov 26, 2020, 05:21 AM
Smells like emergency maintenance lol.

We all know Sega's coding standards and derpiness so if they are gonna stick with the spring release date because it was announced by the big boss I suppose that'll mean either there will be more than the usual amount of bugs when NGS is released or they hold back some of the features that were supposed to be available from the start for a while and instead use the time to fix (some of) the bugs.

Cyclon
Nov 26, 2020, 02:18 PM
idk if you heard but the the CEO or w/e the head guy of Sega Sammy during an interview accidentally leaked the release date time which is Spring, whether thats early, mid or late Spring, we dont know but its not as far away as you think
I did mean within the first three months, but indeed, I did not know that.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 19, 2020, 11:19 PM
So Ra, Fo, Fi and Gu are for sure my mains, Hunter has my interest this time around so I'll give it a try this time around. Techter is absolutely zzzzz just refined Wand play and like a counter or something. Go figure we weren't going to leave the main/sub class system this time around but im absolutely hoping we dont get the same situation now in PSO2 with current main/sub meta's and that includes the new subclass weapon swap system which again, hoping the main class stuff doesnt come back again and actually allowing us to use everything that isn't limited to specific rarities and the like down the road. The skills on the trees are going to have play a part into this so the situation I mentioned doesnt necessarily happen again.

Friend mentioned the Meteorn are probably just going to be the players, its so low effort and cheesy that it feels like something sega would do just like the Persona story reveal so I mostly believe it but expecting something else.

theres some vague stuff with the stats, lot of up in the air topics everyones speculating about atm.

Most importantly, NGS Rupika, best Rupika

Kondibon
Dec 20, 2020, 12:03 AM
At first I wasn't that interested in the character creation stuff, but then I noticed they're doing a lot of interesting things with it. All the racial/sex features look like they're going to be purely cosmetic, to the point where I'm wondering if it's going to be more than RP fluff. They showed that you could have cast parts, with deuman horns, and newman ears all at the same time. It seems like you can just wear whatever outfit and it changes you to a male or female body to go with it, though that might just be for character creation specifically, and not for character editing, I'm not sure. I'd be pretty happy with them just doing away with the race/sex stat and cosmetic differences tbh, it's already a vestigial system that most people ignored anyway. This also potentially means I can wear male cast parts on Milla. :O

Also bust sliders work for male characters. :wacko:

theres some vague stuff with the stats, lot of up in the air topics everyones speculating about atm.
The main thing I noticed about the stats is that there seems to be only one attack and one defense stat, which makes me hopeful that, even if the game does rely on multipliers for damage, that there's way less, or possibly no damage type specific ones.

final_attack
Dec 20, 2020, 04:39 AM
I wonder if subclass will still gave some of it's skill for main ....
I want the tankiness (and great damage) of Hu (if it's like current PSO2) for my Gu (which seems to be mixed with Hr \o/ That sound effect when dodging enemy attack with step, and I think next PA kinda buffed? With red-ish thing ..... Just gonna hope it doesn't rely way too much on counters for getting superb damage (face tanker here) )

Or if they just went subclass = sub-weapon you want only.

Gonna expect adult-only face day 1 ... with that tongue accessory, pupil rotation, and peace-sign tho lol

oratank
Dec 20, 2020, 06:38 AM
i wonder would it allow cast to put male and female part in the same body

StreetFighter2242
Dec 20, 2020, 06:47 AM
I know people won't agree with this but the lack of JA's make things a bit easier in my opinion. Relieves a bit of stress.

Kondibon
Dec 20, 2020, 08:15 AM
i wonder would it allow cast to put male and female part in the same body

I don't think so, I think they're still going to be different body parts.

I know people won't agree with this but the lack of JA's make things a bit easier in my opinion. Relieves a bit of stress.It's barely a loss. JAs for every single attack have always been something to keep you a little engaged with attacks. With how complex the game has become mechanically in terms of moment to moment options, they aren't really important to have as a core mechanic. I'm not going to complain if they include just attacks for specific attacks and mechanics, but as a core mechanic it added very little in the grand scheme of things.

Basically, it's fine if it's less stressful in that aspect because there are other ways for them to do that now.

loafhero
Dec 20, 2020, 09:07 AM
I'm glad they listened to feedback and updated the default Ash's face.

The Cyberpunk 2077 move of not having a gender option and only body types is an awesome move and opens up a lot more customization options.

Knuckles animations look really satisfying and I appreciate them incorporating Dark Blast Elder's attacks into it. I also really love how executing a counter attack has the FI performing a kung-fu double punch.

That seamless weapon change was insane.

I wish that the characters faces aren't so static while doing Lobby Actions.

The Region Mags are adorable and are to be protected at all costs.

I know people won't agree with this but the lack of JA's make things a bit easier in my opinion. Relieves a bit of stress.

I wholeheartedly agree.

Tymek
Dec 20, 2020, 10:54 AM
I think the new [Se] designation for "Setwear" implies that full costumes will be ticket items, moving forward. I wonder what this means for Outerwear.

rokkuman
Dec 20, 2020, 12:42 PM
Everything that was shown yesterday pleased me, although I'm not a fan of them bringing back NT grinding and affixing. Hopefully they'll fix their shortcomings.

Maulcun
Dec 20, 2020, 01:50 PM
I hate NT grinding. rly

ArcaneTechs
Dec 20, 2020, 04:16 PM
I hate NT grinding. rly

i only like NT grinding because its super easy for casuals to upgrade their gear, I absolutely hated the OT grinding because casuals wouldn't upgrade their gear fully (even though they do this now still for some reason) and uhhh elitism here, they sort of become a small burden to the group because of lack of DPS from their gear not being full upgraded (just grinded, not necessarily affixed).

I mean, we can go back to PSU's grind system, most of us loved that right? :)

I don't agree with you, JA's are already so low effort its habit for everyone at this point. Really no reason to remove JA's in the first place

Karen Erra
Dec 20, 2020, 04:34 PM
How does one hate NT grinding? Really makes no sense to me to hate something like that. 'Specially because it's much easier than OT grinding.

StreetFighter2242
Dec 20, 2020, 04:46 PM
i only like NT grinding because its super easy for casuals to upgrade their gear, I absolutely hated the OT grinding because casuals wouldn't upgrade their gear fully (even though they do this now still for some reason) and uhhh elitism here, they sort of become a small burden to the group because of lack of DPS from their gear not being full upgraded (just grinded, not necessarily affixed).

I mean, we can go back to PSU's grind system, most of us loved that right? :)

I don't agree with you, JA's are already so low effort its habit for everyone at this point. Really no reason to remove JA's in the first place

Maybe so. But still.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 20, 2020, 07:31 PM
Maybe so. But still.

but still what? its second hand nature once you learn the game, i dont even get how doing JA's is stressful either. either you do them or you dont

rokkuman
Dec 20, 2020, 07:51 PM
How does one hate NT grinding? Really makes no sense to me to hate something like that. 'Specially because it's much easier than OT grinding.

I find it so wasteful and unnecessarily time-consuming if you wanna go for +35. It's hell for playstyles that require rainbow palettes.

rokkuman
Dec 20, 2020, 07:53 PM
but still what? its second hand nature once you learn the game, i dont even get how doing JA's is stressful either. either you do them or you dont
JAs have always been kinda silly. Most attacks use the same rhythm so it gets old really quickly.

Zephyrion
Dec 20, 2020, 08:27 PM
JAs have always been kinda silly. Most attacks use the same rhythm so it gets old really quickly.

That's not exactly true. JA actually used to balance out a lot of things for old classes with tight and late JAs which actually forced you to focus on your timings. With Hero coming out and subsequent patches, a lot of JAs were relaxed to match that of successors classes. Successors themselves made the JAs more of a commodity you don't plan around due to how lax they are. They also added first blood and tech JA addition, which, while they were super comfy upgrades, also killed the whole "keeping combos up at all costs because breaking them actually hurts your DPS" which contributed to relegate JAs to "flavor"

In a sense the purpose and intent of JAs kinda got lost with the massive power creep and accessibility creep fostered by successors. Hell of a novel just to say JA has not always been just a silly extra mechanic, they were an integral part of the game balance that just evolved to become what it is through the long lifespan of the game. Getting rid of them entirely is the obvious next step, but the nostalgia fag I am would wish to see NGS as a chance to reboot the JA deal and give it relevance again, maybe in a different form rather than scrapping it altogether

ArcaneTechs
Dec 20, 2020, 08:31 PM

it gets old quickly therefor its okay to remove them, ya nah not a good enough reason.

i agree with what most of zeph said tho

loafhero
Dec 20, 2020, 11:26 PM
I do wonder over the decision for Mags to no longer provide battle support. On the other hand, if the Mags are as expressive without the need to talk like the Region Mags then I guess I'm fine with the change.

I'm also really impressed with how Trials and UQs incorporate movement and combat so seamlessly. I guess they learned a lot from the Vegas map in PSO2.

Karen Erra
Dec 21, 2020, 03:40 AM
I find it so wasteful and unnecessarily time-consuming if you wanna go for +35. It's hell for playstyles that require rainbow palettes.

While I agree, that it's bullshit, that trade weapons and stuff are usually +30 only, it's much more horrors for me to grind an OT weapon to +10 3 times in order to get it's potential Lv3.
Iunno how much money and support items went down the drain for weapons that went +8, +9, +8, +9 back and forth, a couple times. In that sense OT grinding was obnoxious to me
and I appreciate much more, that NT weapons can't fail.

I would appreciate it, if they would get rid of the possibility to get to +35, entirely. That would solve just about all problems.

Dark Mits
Dec 21, 2020, 05:14 AM
Go figure we weren't going to leave the main/sub class system this time around but im absolutely hoping we dont get the same situation now in PSO2 with current main/sub meta's and that includes the new subclass weapon swap system which again, hoping the main class stuff doesnt come back again and actually allowing us to use everything that isn't limited to specific rarities and the like down the road. The skills on the trees are going to have play a part into this so the situation I mentioned doesnt necessarily happen again. It's impossible to avoid a meta; as long as something is "better" (even if by 0.0001%) then it becomes meta. Balancing the magnitude of difference in performance between different options serves to only limit lashing out to players who do not follow the meta.

Regarding the removal of JA as a mechanic, I see it as both good and bad. For one, the more mechanics a player has to take into account, the higher the skill cap of the game and the easier it is for better players to shine and be rewarded for their "better-ness" (I don't know the english word).
On the other hand, combat in PSO2 during its lifetime has changed from slower-paced to very-fast. JAs in their initial state would be impossible to take advantage of in a fight like Shiva or Execour. In early game very few non-boss enemy abilities would knockdown/knockback/flinch the players, whereas in EP6 nearly every enemy ability is at least a flinch. Bosses like TPD do not have abilities that do not flinch. Most abilities also give the players barely 1 second to react, and they rely on players having memorized the enemy pattern than reacting to on-screen cues. So whereas in early years getting hit would simply slightly delay PA/Tech execution and necessitate the use of a -mate after taking damage, in late years getting hit literally nullifies any attack that is being charged, and also further punishes the player if they fail the JA window for getting back on their feet. That is, if they don't outright kill the player from full hp.
Changing JAs to provide something other than a damage boost would be weird to implement. Even if instead of increased damage they provided less PP cost, it turns out as a damage buff albeit indirect. Non-combat bonuses do not make sense either; get meseta for JA-ing? Get more red meat?

I absolutely hated the OT grinding because casuals wouldn't upgrade their gear fully (even though they do this now still for some reason) and uhhh elitism here, they sort of become a small burden to the group because of lack of DPS from their gear not being full upgraded (just grinded, not necessarily affixed).PSO2's combat is a lot more skill-based than gear-based. Even an extra 50% from proper subclassing, grinding, affixing and weapon selection cannot match the extra performance gained from being good in avoiding enemy attacks, hitting proper targets, using gap-closers effectively etc.
And let's be honest, Dudu failing you once at 99% and setting you back tens of millions of meseta is enough to make a player go "**** this" and refuse to perform any action that is not 100% guaranteed. Just because the earlier system of "you failed grinding, your item is now deleted or permanently damaged" was worse, does not mean we should tolerate the current system which can still leave you at a worse state because of a dice roll.

Cyclon
Dec 21, 2020, 05:58 AM
Basically, it's fine if it's less stressful in that aspect because there are other ways for them to do that now.
See the issue is that "engagement" has slowly shifted to reacting to the enemy's attacks and mobility as PSO2 went by, and that approach is just not as versatile because you can't expect fodder enemies to be all that deep mechanically. Thus for long stretches of time you're left with nothing but button spam(them changing to a 5 hits combo system with a large part of your overall damage at the end is also worrying to me in that regard).
Obviously, it's not like that issue didn't exist with JAs in the game. Still, I don't think taking them away is going to help. Also, it gave the series flair, but I mean, you and I have already been over that.

In general though, I guess either people underestimate the mechanic's qualities, or I get bored easier than most, idk.

In other news, anybody knows why there are that many dislikes on the broadcast? I didn't really see anything contentious, except the genderless part maybe... please someone tell me that's not the reason.

Kondibon
Dec 21, 2020, 08:56 AM
In other news, anybody knows why there are that many dislikes on the broadcast? I didn't really see anything contentious, except the genderless part maybe... please someone tell me that's not the reason.Main reasons I can think of:
1. People are mad that the beta is JP only.
2. People are mad about the minimum requirements
3. People are mad that PSO2 came out in english, and rushed through content right before NGS.
4. People are mad.

StreetFighter2242
Dec 21, 2020, 11:21 AM

Yeah you're right. It's pretty much it inconsequential.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 21, 2020, 04:46 PM
It's impossible to avoid a meta; as long as something is "better" (even if by 0.0001%) then it becomes meta. Balancing the magnitude of difference in performance between different options serves to only limit lashing out to players who do not follow the meta.

okay you didnt get my point, my point is this is a new game, why continue doing the nearly the same builds and class combos now in PSO2 but in a fresh coat of paint called NGS? Im looking for a change of pace which is why I was looking kinda forward to them getting rid of subclasses but go figure it wasn't going to happen (which is fine). I sort of doing want to continue playing Gu/Fi or Gu/Hu for example; "well then play something else then hurr durr": thats pretty obvious but doesn't change much especially if those 2 combos continue to be meta. It's really hard to say right now if subclasses dont really matter much, we have to see the skill tree details and how the subclass benefits the main class in NGS outside what it already does for PSO2

Yeah you're right. It's pretty much it inconsequential.

except its not and seeing as you've never ever reached endgame let alone put enough time into the game, so you would never know

Main reasons I can think of:
1. People are mad that the beta is JP only.
2. People are mad about the minimum requirements
3. People are mad that PSO2 came out in english, and rushed through content right before NGS.
4. People are mad.

they might also be doing that still on going meme for years of down voting every video/stream but im also curious too if that isnt the reason either.

Sega could have still done an International server, every plays together but they still segregate everyone for no reason. even JP players playing on the new Xbox are forced to play on Global servers instead of JP, I want to play the PS5 for being that reason but idk crossplay has starting to become more common that at this point its no excuse especially if theres a screw up on NA, we suffer on JP too

StreetFighter2242
Dec 21, 2020, 05:58 PM
okay you didnt get my point, my point is this is a new game, why continue doing the nearly the same builds and class combos now in PSO2 but in a fresh coat of paint called NGS? Im looking for a change of pace which is why I was looking kinda forward to them getting rid of subclasses but go figure it wasn't going to happen (which is fine). I sort of doing want to continue playing Gu/Fi or Gu/Hu for example; "well then play something else then hurr durr": thats pretty obvious but doesn't change much especially if those 2 combos continue to be meta. It's really hard to say right now if subclasses dont really matter much, we have to see the skill tree details and how the subclass benefits the main class in NGS outside what it already does for PSO2

except its not and seeing as you've never ever reached endgame let alone put enough time into the game, so you would never know

they might also be doing that still on going meme for years of down voting every video/stream but im also curious too if that isnt the reason either.

Sega could have still done an International server, every plays together but they still segregate everyone for no reason. even JP players playing on the new Xbox are forced to play on Global servers instead of JP, I want to play the PS5 for being that reason but idk crossplay has starting to become more common that at this point its no excuse especially if theres a screw up on NA, we suffer on JP too
You're right I wouldn't know....Yet .

otakun
Dec 21, 2020, 06:51 PM
okay you didnt get my point, my point is this is a new game, why continue doing the nearly the same builds and class combos now in PSO2 but in a fresh coat of paint called NGS? Im looking for a change of pace

Well, its all fine and dandy that you're looking for something different but NGS is hardly a new game and donno why people are pushing this idea like Maximilion Dood pushing this is PSO3. It's literally PSO2 with a fresh coat of paint. Graphical updates, smoother combat and a few changes to old system does not a new game make. At best, this is an expansion, and until we get more information, can only hope for a change of pace.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 21, 2020, 07:13 PM
You're right I wouldn't know....Yet .
I dont believe you ever will and you'll continue this going into NGS

Well, its all fine and dandy that you're looking for something different but NGS is hardly a new game and donno why people are pushing this idea like Maximilion Dood pushing this is PSO3. It's literally PSO2 with a fresh coat of paint. Graphical updates, smoother combat and a few changes to old system does not a new game make. At best, this is an expansion, and until we get more information, can only hope for a change of pace.

I've been saying its an expansion from the beginning but its essentially a new game considering its going to be going on for years BUT it could also be treated like WoW and you know, get continuous expansions except it would be over longer periods of time instead of yearly. I also dont take max serious either so his opinions on the game are w/e.

ratatosk
Dec 21, 2020, 07:34 PM

As someone who has gotten to the endgame of pso2 multiple times throughout all its years i agree that it's no big deal with them removing it since you said it yourself is second nature. And even when you miss one you just do a JA the next attack. So losing it in NGS is pretty whatever. Just think of it this way now people that were bad at the timings dont have to worry about it adding damage and can focus on their other aspects of damage

Maulcun
Dec 21, 2020, 08:28 PM
Sega will repeat the same mistakes as the original PSO2. When more information about the NGS appears, the more it seems to me that nothing really changed.

StreetFighter2242
Dec 21, 2020, 08:28 PM

I've been saying its an expansion from the beginning but its essentially a new game considering its going to be going on for years BUT it could also be treated like WoW and you know, get continuous expansions except it would be over longer periods of time instead of yearly. I also dont take max serious either so his opinions on the game are w/e.

I Will and that's final.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 21, 2020, 09:05 PM
As someone who has gotten to the endgame of pso2 multiple times throughout all its years i agree that it's no big deal with them removing it since you said it yourself is second nature. And even when you miss one you just do a JA the next attack. So losing it in NGS is pretty whatever. Just think of it this way now people that were bad at the timings dont have to worry about it adding damage and can focus on their other aspects of damage
the few shouldnt exactly outweigh the many, I still absolutely no good reason to remove it. same with meseta not staying as the main currency for the game. unnecessary changes

Sega will repeat the same mistakes as the original PSO2. When more information about the NGS appears, the more it seems to me that nothing really changed.
sadly it looks that way, just a lot more refined. I'm really hoping thats not the case, i think the most scumbag thing they can do is re-release PSO2 phasion but upgraded to NGS through scratches only instead of upgrading all the layer wear when they have the money and manpower to do so. Even if its done in batches over time

I Will and that's final.
ya we'll see since you can't be arsed to keep up with Global now, I have my doubts that'll change when NGS rolls around

ratatosk
Dec 21, 2020, 09:38 PM
the few shouldnt exactly outweigh the many, I still absolutely no good reason to remove it. same with meseta not staying as the main currency for the game. unnecessary changes

But the few are not outweighing the many. Since it's second nature to many it has become a non mechanic to the many so by removing it you're just getting rid of something that is not a mechanic to the many. And going from the stream it seems meseta is still the main currency it's just that the meseta you have in base pso2 does not carry over to ngs for obvious reasons (make it so the economy of ngs isnt very high from the get go)

StreetFighter2242
Dec 22, 2020, 12:26 AM

sadly it looks that way, just a lot more refined. I'm really hoping thats not the case, i think the most scumbag thing they can do is re-release PSO2 phasion but upgraded to NGS through scratches only instead of upgrading all the layer wear when they have the money and manpower to do so. Even if its done in batches over time

ya we'll see since you can't be arsed to keep up with Global now, I have my doubts that'll change when NGS rolls around

You Wish. I'm not letting NGS stop me from getting through global. Besides there are ways to boost your level quickly among other things, in case you've forgotten.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 22, 2020, 01:18 AM
You Wish. I'm not letting NGS stop me from getting through global. Besides there are ways to boost your level quickly among other things, in case you've forgotten.

im pretty sure youre not caught up with Global right now, so while there are ample ways of leveling, im not convinced youre actually endgame currently, thats including gear

Kondibon
Dec 22, 2020, 01:19 AM
the few shouldnt exactly outweigh the many, I still absolutely no good reason to remove it. same with meseta not staying as the main currency for the game. unnecessary changesI don't think it's that big of a loss is the main thing. No one is going to notice. Keeping JAs because they're there doesn't add anything, and while I'd be fine either way, I really get the impression that the only reason people want them to stay is because they're there, and not because they add much. They're a vestigial mechanic at this point.

As for the currency thing, they specifically said it's not going to be the currency for player trading, it's probably still going to be the "main" currency. That one is definitely not an "unnecessary" change, it's likely meant to keep the player trading economy separate from the equipment upgrading economy, or make it only one way or something like that.

Knightsword
Dec 22, 2020, 02:12 AM
JA's are a mechanic that favors abled body players plain and simple. Players with certain types of color blindness can't see the red circle (which Sega doesn't even offer a means of changing the color), let alone those with physical conditions that make it impossible for them complete a JA in the time window. Removing JA's and balancing the game around the lack of that gimmick is a good thing.

Cyclon
Dec 22, 2020, 02:29 AM
Sir DOOD is a hype man. I'd say it's a good thing most of the time. With that being said, while he's certainly jumping the gun as he actually hasn't played PSO2 all that much, I do wonder how big the "not even a new game" argument would be if NGS was standalone. It's kind of silly as far as I'm concerned, as not everything in a sequel is ever new, and the moment to moment gameplay looks very different.

Idk, that money icon at 49:46 looks a lot like the PSO2 meseta one.

JA's are a mechanic that favors abled body players plain and simple. Players with certain types of color blindness can't see the red circle (which Sega doesn't even offer a means of changing the color), let alone those with physical conditions that make it impossible for them complete a JA in the time window. Removing JA's and balancing the game around the lack of that gimmick is a good thing.
I don't get that argument. Of course inclusivity is a good thing, but there's next to no reason to think that's what's happening here, considering we're still talking about an action game requiring instantaneous reactions every other second, with tons of color coded game design.
I can celebrate if the change genuinely makes the game more enjoyable for more people(well... it's a complicated subject, as quality often comes with complexity, yet complexity obviously makes things less accessible; on a surface level, let's just agree that it's a good thing); I don't think the removal itself will achieve this at all is the thing.
I guess I could find solace in the numerous boredom complaints that will surface after the game's launch, if I didn't know that those always exist anyway.

Ezodagrom
Dec 22, 2020, 05:29 AM
I do wonder how big the "not even a new game" argument would be if NGS was standalone. It's kind of silly as far as I'm concerned, as not everything in a sequel is ever new, and the moment to moment gameplay looks very different.
This. There have been plenty of other games sequels that have way less changes than what we've seen so far from NGS.

Im looking for a change of pace which is why I was looking kinda forward to them getting rid of subclasses but go figure it wasn't going to happen (which is fine). I sort of doing want to continue playing Gu/Fi or Gu/Hu for example; "well then play something else then hurr durr": thats pretty obvious but doesn't change much especially if those 2 combos continue to be meta. It's really hard to say right now if subclasses dont really matter much, we have to see the skill tree details and how the subclass benefits the main class in NGS outside what it already does for PSO2
In the footage from Prologue 1 we can see that they've replaced the 3 attack stats with a single one, and also we could see that the subclass didn't add base stats to the main class, if these 2 don't change until release, at the very least there's potential for more varied class combos than the current PSO2 (if they don't mess up the skill trees).

otakun
Dec 22, 2020, 05:59 AM
This. There have been plenty of other games sequels that have way less changes than what we've seen so far from NGS.

a 9 year sequel?

loafhero
Dec 22, 2020, 07:03 AM
In the footage from Prologue 1 we can see that they've replaced the 3 attack stats with a single one

Yup!

Zulastar
Dec 22, 2020, 07:13 AM
Currently playing Cyberpunk 2077 and not pay much attention to PSO for a while, but one thing I can already say: there still no numbers on sliders in Character creation menu. Total disappointment.

Ezodagrom
Dec 22, 2020, 07:32 AM
a 9 year sequel?
If that's the argument you're gonna use, then if you compare the PSO2 from 2012 to NGS, it makes NGS look like a new game even more.

But even comparing today's PSO2 to NGS, the changes to NGS are enough for it be thought of as a new game, even if it's packaged together with PSO2.

You say that NGS is just PSO2 with a fresh coat of pain, but I think the changes in NGS may even be comparable to going from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to Monster Hunter World.
Much better graphics, refined gameplay together with new systems, new story and world, and a major change in the way locations are handled (MH went from small areas that are separated with loading screens to large locations, PSO2 went from randomized instanced areas to large seamless open fields).

StreetFighter2242
Dec 22, 2020, 09:47 AM
im pretty sure youre not caught up with Global right now, so while there are ample ways of leveling, im not convinced youre actually endgame currently, thats including gear

I know I'm not. There are many things I still don't know and I still have a long way to go because I haven't been able to play all that much lately. So unless you want to be a decent person and help in some way. Get off my back, I seriously don't need any nagging right now.

Strages
Dec 22, 2020, 12:39 PM
I've seen some fears in other threads about PSO2 being "neglected".NGS is barely a new game. It is essentially another capital E "Episode" that you can select separately, somewhat like the Episode 1~3 situation we had before. That's why they called it "Not Episode 7" while also implying that it was some kind of big update for PSO2; it is PSO2 content and not some separate new Phantasy Star game, but it doesn't continue the PSO2 plot or mechanics directly like other Episodes. So, the original PSO2 cannot really be "neglected", but at the same time there isn't really anything left to add to that game.

Imagine if Portable 2 was grafted onto the original Universe, instead of being released as a separate game. That is what NGS is.

Cyclon
Dec 22, 2020, 12:47 PM
Imagine if Portable 2 was grafted onto the original Universe, instead of being released as a separate game. That is what NGS is.
You don't run into many people saying that PSP2 wasn't a new game though, and regardless, your statement is still inaccurate.

I mean we can swim you guys. You just need eyes to see!

Zysets
Dec 22, 2020, 01:03 PM
On the topic of JA, this isn't the first time a mechanic was removed from a game. PSO has "JA" in a sense, you needed to time your hits to continue the combo, which was later removed in PSU and you could spam freely, but enough people complained they ultimately added what we now know as "JA" to compensate. I think now with PSO2 is the perfect time to do it again, in PSU's case the gameplay didn't have enough to keep it engaging at times, something like JA was needed, but with the speed and multiple gimmicks and mechanics we have in PSO2, JA is ultimately obsoleted in it's purpose.

Ransu
Dec 22, 2020, 02:38 PM
Honestly playing without JA on NGS I feel like is going to throw off my muscle memory with JAs in normal PSO2. But they will probably different enough that it won't be that bad. I would have preferred having it though because I liked how the JA circles looked in the initial reveal.

otakun
Dec 22, 2020, 08:27 PM
If that's the argument you're gonna use, then if you compare the PSO2 from 2012 to NGS, it makes NGS look like a new game even more.

But even comparing today's PSO2 to NGS, the changes to NGS are enough for it be thought of as a new game, even if it's packaged together with PSO2.

You say that NGS is just PSO2 with a fresh coat of pain, but I think the changes in NGS may even be comparable to going from Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate to Monster Hunter World.
Much better graphics, refined gameplay together with new systems, new story and world, and a major change in the way locations are handled (MH went from small areas that are separated with loading screens to large locations, PSO2 went from randomized instanced areas to large seamless open fields).

Yeah, the problem with your comparisons here is there being a 2 year release difference AND MHW existed to be put on other platforms. It wasn't made to be different but to take the MH series to other consoles and PC. PSO2 doesn't have that excuse here. You can argue against your points with WoW who have done the same thing with keeping it as an expansion and not a new game. Especially since WoW is an MMO while MHW isn't.

Ezodagrom
Dec 23, 2020, 03:50 AM
Yeah, the problem with your comparisons here is there being a 2 year release difference AND MHW existed to be put on other platforms. It wasn't made to be different but to take the MH series to other consoles and PC. PSO2 doesn't have that excuse here. You can argue against your points with WoW who have done the same thing with keeping it as an expansion and not a new game. Especially since WoW is an MMO while MHW isn't.
Bringing up the age of the game ignores that the current PSO2 has been in active development throughout these 9 years.
It's not like they've been creating NGS on the side throughout these 9 years, NGS only entered active development a few years ago (there were news about the PSO2 development team splitting a few years ago).

MHW similarities with previous games are not because of them bringing MH series to other platforms, it's because that's just how many sequels are. Many sequels just refine what was there before while also adding new things, most sequels don't "re-invent the wheel".
Also the current PSO2 is not an MMO, if anything it's closer to the MH series than it is to MMOs.

Since it's packaged together with PSO2, NGS is an update to PSO2, but, with how little progress is shared and with how much different NGS is from PSO2, it's easily comparable to sequels from other games series. NGS is more comparable to a game sequel that allows the player to import a save than it is to a regular expansion.

otakun
Dec 23, 2020, 04:36 AM
Bringing up the age of the game ignores that the current PSO2 has been in active development throughout these 9 years.
It's not like they've been creating NGS on the side throughout these 9 years, NGS only entered active development a few years ago (there were news about the PSO2 development team splitting a few years ago).

MHW similarities with previous games are not because of them bringing MH series to other platforms, it's because that's just how many sequels are. Many sequels just refine what was there before while also adding new things, most sequels don't "re-invent the wheel".
Also the current PSO2 is not an MMO, if anything it's closer to the MH series than it is to MMOs.

Since it's packaged together with PSO2, NGS is an update to PSO2, but, with how little progress is shared and with how much different NGS is from PSO2, it's easily comparable to sequels from other games series. NGS is more comparable to a game sequel that allows the player to import a save than it is to a regular expansion.

Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think people who are coming into NGS for a new game experience from PSO2 are going to be disappointed and people shouldn't encourage this idea. If they are fine knowing this is just an upgraded PSO2 then it wont be an issue.

Cyclon
Dec 23, 2020, 05:02 AM
Guess we will have to agree to disagree. I think people who are coming into NGS for a new game experience from PSO2 are going to be disappointed and people shouldn't encourage this idea. If they are fine knowing this is just an upgraded PSO2 then it wont be an issue.
But then chances are that if your perception is the one that reaches their ears, they just won't try it out at all. That's not really a win.
I mean yes for we the community that's potentially less drama to deal with, but outside of that, less players is rarely a good thing.

Dugs
Dec 23, 2020, 06:29 AM
But then chances are that if your perception is the one that reaches their ears, they just won't try it out at all. That's not really a win.
I mean yes for we the community that's potentially less drama to deal with, but outside of that, less players is rarely a good thing.

So you want us to lie.

Cyclon
Dec 23, 2020, 06:51 AM
So you want us to lie.
Not really, just saying that keeping expectations low isn't some magical solution, especially not when it comes to other people, about a future multiplayer game. But you're free to do it anyway afaic.

Besides, it's not like I'm advocating for everyone to share the message that this is 100% going to be the greatest game ever. Just, in the context of your stance on what qualifies or doesn't qualify as a sequel(which I'm willing to affirm isn't universal), no, I don't think you've got some cherry on top when it comes to managing expectations. That's all.

Ezodagrom
Dec 23, 2020, 06:52 AM
If the differences between PSO2 and NGS were something like a new episode + the graphical upgrade, I would agree with that, but, while NGS shares some features with PSO2, the refinements to those features plus the new ones are pretty much a new game experience.

On another note, other than outdated graphics, one thing I often see being mentioned that turns off new players from PSO2 at the beginning is how clunky it is early on (a result of content that has been abandoned/failed experiments throughout the years), NGS being a fresh start despite being bundled with PSO2 should fix that at least.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 23, 2020, 08:16 PM
I know I'm not. There are many things I still don't know and I still have a long way to go because I haven't been able to play all that much lately. So unless you want to be a decent person and help in some way. Get off my back, I seriously don't need any nagging right now.
I won't be helping you for obvious reasons so I'm just going to watch the show from the sidelines

On the topic of JA, this isn't the first time a mechanic was removed from a game. PSO has "JA" in a sense, you needed to time your hits to continue the combo, which was later removed in PSU and you could spam freely
uhh as far as I remember, JA wasn't in PSU until AOTI happened and continued from there. I don't remember them ever removing it from JP side either considering JA's mattered in PSU once they became a thing.

I think now with PSO2 is the perfect time to do it again, in PSU's case the gameplay didn't have enough to keep it engaging at times, something like JA was needed, but with the speed and multiple gimmicks and mechanics we have in PSO2, JA is ultimately obsoleted in it's purpose.
JA has never obsoleted itself in PSO2 despite everything thats happened to the game so far, wtf are you even talking about? we have class skills where you NEED to JA or you lose out on its benefits which can be a good chunk of DPS compared to someone who is just not doing JA's at all

okay outside JA rants, my other beef with this game is it better get some new weapon types. I dont feel like its good to play NGS and we're all just basically playing successor class upgrades to the already existing ones, ya its cool theyre more refined but new weapons, classes etc, we need them. not just some costume put over PSO2 named NGS because I mean, we'd really wouldnt be doing all that much different compared to what we do now in PSO2 with the exception of starting over in an open world game

Zyrusticae
Dec 24, 2020, 03:52 AM
I just want to point out that, yes, this is obviously PSO3 in all but name. They're just keeping the tie to PSO2 (and the absolutely bizarre avatar cross-compatibility) because they have a ton of legacy stuff they want to continue to cash in on.

Gameplay-wise, graphically, story-wise, it is a sequel. I have no idea why anyone would ever bother arguing otherwise. What a mind-boggling argument.

Currently playing Cyberpunk 2077 and not pay much attention to PSO for a while, but one thing I can already say: there still no numbers on sliders in Character creation menu. Total disappointment.
Is this actually an issue when you can just export and import characters? Not that I disagree, since more precision is always better than less, but it still strikes me as an odd thing to get hung up on.

Ezodagrom
Dec 24, 2020, 04:51 AM
JA has never obsoleted itself in PSO2 despite everything thats happened to the game so far, wtf are you even talking about? we have class skills where you NEED to JA or you lose out on its benefits which can be a good chunk of DPS compared to someone who is just not doing JA's at all
Zysets is not saying that JAs are obsolete from a damage/DPS point of view, they're obsolete from a gameplay point of view.
In my opinion they don't really add all that much to the experience and may even get in the way during chaotic situations (12 players content with alot of visual noise and noisy sound effects), situations where we can't even get visual or sound confirmation that the JAs were successful.

okay outside JA rants, my other beef with this game is it better get some new weapon types. I dont feel like its good to play NGS and we're all just basically playing successor class upgrades to the already existing ones, ya its cool theyre more refined but new weapons, classes etc, we need them. not just some costume put over PSO2 named NGS because I mean, we'd really wouldnt be doing all that much different compared to what we do now in PSO2 with the exception of starting over in an open world game
I hope they eventually start adding new weapons as well, either through new classes or even adding new weapon types to existing classes. But it's pretty clear that for a while they're just gonna be playing catch up with PSO2's existing classes and weapon types.

Meteor Weapon
Dec 24, 2020, 02:38 PM
One thing i hope is that they dont oversaturate the gear library. fliing it nothing but junk and fodders. Make every weapon as unique as they can with its own play style, not just slap them with damage boost over and over and over and call it a day.

Base game had those gimmicky weapons such as spread needle and etc but it was already way too late at the point they were introduced. Late game solo/4pt content has been nothing but kill things faster to get better rewards or else fail. I hate divide quest because every thing is on timer, I know we can still get rewards even if the timer runs out but the fact that almost everything in this game punishes you for taking things too long is just exhausting and annoying.

In the end you only need 3 things to kill things which is player skill, damage multipliers and insane pp recovery.. Everything just relies way too much on damage multipliers that having a unique gimmicks don't matter.

I hope they learned whatever the hell they did in PSO2 and not make the same mistake in NGS.

rokkuman
Dec 24, 2020, 07:54 PM
I hope they learned whatever the hell they did in PSO2 and not make the same mistake in NGS.

They seem more responsive to the response of players, so that's a start. I wonder what Summoner is gonna look like in NGS, since they've had the time to fix it.

cheapgunner
Dec 24, 2020, 08:48 PM
One thing i hope is that they dont oversaturate the gear library. fliing it nothing but junk and fodders. Make every weapon as unique as they can with its own play style, not just slap them with damage boost over and over and over and call it a day.

Base game had those gimmicky weapons such as spread needle and etc but it was already way too late at the point they were introduced. Late game solo/4pt content has been nothing but kill things faster to get better rewards or else fail. I hate divide quest because every thing is on timer, I know we can still get rewards even if the timer runs out but the fact that almost everything in this game punishes you for taking things too long is just exhausting and annoying.

In the end you only need 3 things to kill things which is player skill, damage multipliers and insane pp recovery.. Everything just relies way too much on damage multipliers that having a unique gimmicks don't matter.

I feel you on the Pure DPS vs Gimmick/Unique situation PSO2 had. Some of the gimmicks were cool as well some Codes like Burning Ranger early in the day, but the game moved too quick and too fast to enjoy such opportunities.

otakun
Dec 25, 2020, 12:51 AM
I just want to point out that, yes, this is obviously PSO3 in all but name. They're just keeping the tie to PSO2 (and the absolutely bizarre avatar cross-compatibility) because they have a ton of legacy stuff they want to continue to cash in on.

Gameplay-wise, graphically, story-wise, it is a sequel. I have no idea why anyone would ever bother arguing otherwise. What a mind-boggling argument.

Is this actually an issue when you can just export and import characters? Not that I disagree, since more precision is always better than less, but it still strikes me as an odd thing to get hung up on.

An expansion. It's an expansion. By your logic WoW is technically on the 3rd or 4th version. The gameplay is not as changed as people like to think it is. They just 'sucessored' the base classes, which anyone with a brain knew they were going to do eventually. The Photon Dash is just the fucking earth rings turned into a skill. lol Adding swimming is pointless until we see something more with it. A big instanced Advanced Quest like map with small instances in it again is nothing really new. I like the changes but Sega isn't breaking new ground here. It's an upgrade, not a new game.

mother clusterfck
Dec 25, 2020, 02:36 AM
Everything that was shown yesterday pleased me, although I'm not a fan of them bringing back NT grinding and affixing. Hopefully they'll fix their shortcomings.
What's wrong with either of them???
NT grinding is little more than feeding items for steady growth, the potential gates where you can waste exp are the only issue and it's not a big one.

Literally all problems with PSO2 affixing are balancing and not mechanics issues. The system is the by far most fun upgrade mechanics ever and a really fun puzzle game that nets you epic gear if you ace it.
The issue is with the balance of rng gates for some affixes like Lesser Stat 4>5 having only 20% or so base success or mutually exclusive affixes like Sentence and Flict and stuff like that.

Dunno how I feel about exchanging fodder weapons for capsules because on the one hand it sounds kinda convenient but on the other hand I like the concept that in PSO2 weapons have so many different purposes.
You find a weapon weaker than your own and you can recycle it for currency, use it to grind another weapon or affix another weapon, either as is or after unlocking the SAF or you sell it if it is worth enough or maybe you just give it to an alt who only ever does featured anyway. Or hell, to your support partner so it can get gather daily collect items better.

It's not the difficulty it's the point that in the visual clusterfuck this game loves to throw at you ja becomes impossible to see.
Hell, in this new xmas eq I can barely see anything because most of the time some boss' ass is blocking half or more of my screen and often it's 2-3 bosses' asses at the same time.

Luckily it seems they fixed the issue where the game would actually stop showing ja circles on your screen altogether in favor of focusing on other fx but with all the visual fx the game spams, even turning down other people's animations as much as possible it can still be iffy.

It's a poorly designed mechanics, mainly because many weapons and attacks have different ja timing so unless you practice like mad and keep up training so you never get rusty you are always reliant on visual cues to some degree which the game cannot reliably provide.

In the first place it offers nothing to the player because it's an arbitrary timing that adds nothing but inconvenience, i.e. it can easily mean you are a few frames too late too dodge (still stuck in the part of the attack animation you can't cancel) or part of your attack misses because you had to wait a few frames for the ja.

And what you get from it is literally nothing, more damage that normally would be part of the attacks themselves and a lot of skills that don't proc whenever you make a mistake. There are more than enough other ways to create a challenging play style without a mechanic that is nothing but an inconvenience and leaves you at the mercy of the graphics engine.

Anyway, seems like weapon combing or whatever will be pretty convenient but that's it. Doesn't seem it will be the awesome

okay you didnt get my point, my point is this is a new game, why continue doing the nearly the same builds and class combos now in PSO2 but in a fresh coat of paint called NGS?

It is not a new game, there is a prevailing misconception on this forum that PSO2 ends and NGS is Sega's new big online game but that is completely wrong.
NGS is basically an addon, I mean we use the same characters and share fashion and stuff between the two for Christ's sake.
PSO2 is still huge, NGS is just an extension. I mean, why bother upgrading the game's graphics, which is a massive effort,if they intend to let it die?

In case anyone missed it, NGS's ui is nothing but the PSO2 ui with a new coat of PSU style paint, it's kinda of like a massive new quest type.
It will grow alongside PSO2 but it's never more than a different game mode of the same game.
The big fuss is because the amount of content for this new game mode far exceeds that of any other new content like new classes or CQs or BQs.

They could but it's a giant effort that makes no sense at the moment.
For one, the way the game works you lose content if you add all at once, these days most people don't care much but there are tons of quests we can no longer do, not even past seasonals but e.g. Magatsu (as trash as it is) is nowadays once a blue moon at best. EQs are an integral part of the game because human psychology makes us want to not miss an opportunity and EQs are a limited opportunity to play exclusive content with massive rewards, it's a huge draw that inconveniences players a lot but at the same time forces us to always come back. It also removes the problem of not finding a group for the most popular content.

In the first place global servers only make sense if there is good reason to believe that people really want that and will use this feature enough to make it turn a profit rather than a waste of money and effort.

Remember how often Sega has to add boosts and additional rewards for new content just to get people to play it and that's nothing but new quest types.

With global servers rewarding people for playing with someone from a different timezone or something would just be bizarre and at the same time creates a punishment for not e.g. doing a quest with onyl your local friends which you want to do often because of timing issues, especially since so much of this game's content is for 8 or 12 players.

In the first place EQs are scheduled at odd enough hours Sega wouldn't even have to change anything for global servers but at the same time NA players wouldn't end up playing with JP players that much anyway because an eq at locally 8pm will be other in the middle of the work / school day in the other time zone or early morning.
Sure, Russians could play with JPs with little timing issues but the countries where the biggest playerbase will inevitably come from have a 7+ hours time difference. China is well, potentially a big market but also China and you can't rely on much.

Now additionally there is the massive issue of licensing. There were tons of threads speculating about what happens with collab fashion which are a huge part of JP PSO2 and global servers means everyone needs to have access to all fashion with at best a handful exceptions or players will riot.
Far too expensive and pointless to happen and already a dealbreaker on its own.
It's not like it's impossible or will never happen that we get global PSO2 servers but at the moment there are a ton of issue that need resolving and there is absolutely no incentive for Sega to do it.

I agree on the timing, it's just annoying.
But I disagree with Spread Needle and stuff, e.g. PSO2 Lavis Cannon was strong when it got added and PSO2 also has some fun weapons with unique mechanics. And in PSO1 Spread Needle was a must have for any ranger unless you used an S-Rank Needle instead, either way using any kind of shot could never make up for lacking a needle. Likewise Master Raven and Last Swan were also op af, both coming down to PSO1's worst flaw, punishing players heavily for attacking by making attack combos slow af and adding bs idle animations after the combo that literally forced you to still still and hope you don't get hit or avoid the 3rd hit of the combo in the first place.
Because of this fast weapons like Needle and those Handgun speed mechguns were mandatory in many situations. There were some gimmick weapons like Plaintain Leaf or Orochiagito which were too weak to be useful (katanas being trash in general and all) and even PSO1 Lavis Cannon / Blade / Double Cannon were not good because of their unique mechanics but their stats but e.g. Dark Flow's mechanic could be op as hell with a skill player...though admittedly Dark Flow still lost in dps and aoe and usability to a high hit charge diska lol.

In PSO2 you got Jupiter and the s5 that adds the unique effect to other weapons which is also strong. But mainly, the point is that unique gimmick weapons are never supposed to nor needed to make the game interesting, they are a fun gimmick to spice up gameplay a little on occasion and sometimes are also strong in PSO2.

I feel you on the Pure DPS vs Gimmick/Unique situation PSO2 had. Some of the gimmicks were cool as well some Codes like Burning Ranger early in the day, but the game moved too quick and too fast to enjoy such opportunities.
That's just an issue with quest design, as slow af as PSO1 was there were a lot of much more interesting quests than there are in PSO2. E.g. there are few PSO2 quests with more than a tiny focus on obstacles besides TAs which are worthless now and were never more than a chore to get your daily or weekly Meseta infusion whereas some fun late endgame content in PSO1 had interesting obstacles and stuff like the Lost [weapon] series.

In PSO2 the Burning Ranger quest was tbh just silly and back then weapon switching was difficult because the lag was so bad you often needed 3-5 seconds to switch during which you could not do anything.

Karen Erra
Dec 25, 2020, 07:42 AM
Does it really matter though? You can call it a new game, an upgrade, an expansion, an extension, whatever and it won't change the fact that it's next entry in the Phantasy Star series.
It offers elements from both a new game and an upgrade from original PSO2 so it's probably something in between, if you wanna be highly accurate about it.

Most things I've seen of it seem well. If they don't fuck it up, the class + subclass system could be much better in NGS and offer much variety, but who knows.
What I dislike a lot is, that NGS turns Phantasy Star in a generic MMO-type game just like all the other MMOs out there, where you have that big-ass world to go through with just instanced dungeons (or quest, or whatever they are gonna be called in the end). I much prefered PSUs and PSO2s mission-based system and thus I'm not sure if I will be able to enjoy NGS.

I hate open world and I usually don't find enjoyment in other MMOs because of their world and how the game functions with it. If NGS turns into yet another Final Fantasy XIV, I guess I can still go play more good old PSU on Clementine and enjoy my beloved instanced, mission-based game. :wacko:

Zyrusticae
Dec 25, 2020, 04:37 PM
An expansion. It's an expansion. By your logic WoW is technically on the 3rd or 4th version. The gameplay is not as changed as people like to think it is. They just 'sucessored' the base classes, which anyone with a brain knew they were going to do eventually. The Photon Dash is just the fucking earth rings turned into a skill. lol Adding swimming is pointless until we see something more with it. A big instanced Advanced Quest like map with small instances in it again is nothing really new. I like the changes but Sega isn't breaking new ground here. It's an upgrade, not a new game.
It is not an expansion; progression always carries over between expansions. Here we're starting from zero. That, alone, is the hard dividing line that makes it extremely obvious that it's an actual sequel.

Sequels almost always carry over a bunch of stuff from the previous entry so I'm not sure you're making the point you think you're making here. Literally every asset in NGS is brand-spankin'-new. Even the animations are getting replaced wholesale. Having avatar cross-compatibility does not make this any less of a sequel.

Not that this argument matters any, but I just can't agree with this logic at all. Sequels do not need to excise every element of their previous entries to be considered sequels.

ArcaneTechs
Dec 25, 2020, 07:24 PM
nothing says killing time like arguing on whether or not NGS is an expansion, new game, sequel, season pass, dlc, indie game, alpha etc

i'm sticking to expansion honestly, if we're getting the same classes but refined, it might as well be one. id argue elsewise if we didnt and the classes used a new set of gear or added on weapon types but theyre all just Class 2.0, very likely the same with the skill trees

Kondibon
Dec 25, 2020, 07:34 PM
I've seen sequels that change less than NGS does, and expansions that change more. I'm not sure why it matters whether it's a sequel or not though. I'd say it's still a separate game running on the same engine with cross compatibility, but whether or not it's an expansion or not is just semantics.

Cyclon
Dec 26, 2020, 03:54 AM
I've seen sequels that change less than NGS does, and expansions that change more. I'm not sure why it matters whether it's a sequel or not though. I'd say it's still a separate game running on the same engine with cross compatibility, but whether or not it's an expansion or not is just semantics.
I don't know, I'd say it's interesting. NGS is a pretty unique case, and at least you get lots of opinions through generalized debates. Also an expansion is usually less exciting than a sequel, thus we're also debating this game's worth to an extent.

Beyond that, it's a debate on the internet. It's no less or no more purposeful than 99% of those if you ask me.

lol Adding swimming
I was joking. Though it is exciting in a sense, as none of the terrain we've been shown has more than shallow water(afaik), and obviously we being on an island means the sea will be the limit, thus there was no real reason to add swimming at face value. So either it's just flavor, or the terrain gets more varied than we've been led to think.
At worst it confirms a focus on making traveling around an interesting part of the game.

oratank
Dec 26, 2020, 04:54 AM
https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv329566343

they are playing NGS

haha we can run full speed in city now

Maulcun
Dec 26, 2020, 09:13 AM
https://live2.nicovideo.jp/watch/lv329566343

they are playing NGS

haha we can run full speed in city now

Prints and infos https://pso2roboarks.jp/20h-housou

Tymek
Dec 26, 2020, 02:10 PM
https://i.imgur.com/8MX2t26.png
NPC wearing Edel Serin

Maulcun
Dec 26, 2020, 02:32 PM
A new gameplay from NGS was shown during the live broadcast in celebration of PSO 20th Anniversary!

Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TqSLFUkH61UB2t4De7jPFrn2tom46FJ9/view

rokkuman
Dec 26, 2020, 05:49 PM
A new gameplay from NGS was shown during the live broadcast in celebration of PSO 20th Anniversary!

Video
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TqSLFUkH61UB2t4De7jPFrn2tom46FJ9/view

Really appreciate the link. Thank you!

rokkuman
Dec 26, 2020, 05:59 PM
Is that Xiera's voice I hear? She's a hi-cast, so maybe she (or another character with her model) could survive 1000 years with proper maintenance.

otakun
Dec 27, 2020, 04:46 AM
It is not an expansion; progression always carries over between expansions. Here we're starting from zero. That, alone, is the hard dividing line that makes it extremely obvious that it's an actual sequel.

Wrong. Your progression in PSO2 is not zero. Your progression in PSO2 is kept. Your level resets in NGS, which again, WoW did resetting levels making the cap 60 again and remaking the quest progression to match the level change. WoW will destroy any argument you can come up with that this is an expansion and not a new game.

sol_trigger
Jan 16, 2021, 09:14 AM
still no release date ?

Kondibon
Jan 16, 2021, 09:18 AM
still no release date ?

They announced the closed beta, but that's it. I wouldn't expect a release date before that ends. http://www.bumped.org/psublog/pso2-new-genesis-jp-closed-beta-announcement/

Dugs
Jan 16, 2021, 09:45 AM
We should be hearing about when the closed beta starts soon though. We're halfway through January so they may announce when the beta period is for later this month.

sol_trigger
Jan 20, 2021, 05:42 AM
Registration Period

December 15th, 2020 ~ January 4th, 2021

lol guess i'm too late, but i wouldn't be picked as a tester anyway.