PDA

View Full Version : Things you like / dislike in NGS

classicburger
Jul 17, 2021, 02:09 AM
NGS has been out for a while now and it's probably a good time to share our thoughts on what has become better or in some cases worse than what most of us enjoy. Keep in mind this thread is mainly about each individual's opinion so there is no need to try and debate each other into changing his / her opinion. I'll be starting things off with:

Battle Speed / Tempo - I am a combat freak and while I feel like the new combat is not bad I find I am missing how fast the tempo was in
the old PSO2, the motion was also very fluid because of the smoother cancels.

Boss Battle Camera - Unlike the old PSO2 with a behind the back third person view camera, zooming out removes a sense of immersion in the action making me feel like I'm playing some RTS game. Turning off the option also makes the game quite unplayable because of the lock-on camera.

Lock-on Camera - It's just bad as it is now. On top of how difficult it has become to lock on to a part you want, most of the time the camera will be behind the boss blocking everything in your view.

Salon and face editing - This has been around since forever but the NGS salon is worse for face editing. There is a big difference between the face inside the salon and outside the salon. I get the feeling the face has been warped and deformed to an abomination. I'd stick with the old Salon when editing faces and the NGS salon for editing body.

NGS Body - I like it, specifically type 2.

There's probably more to the list but I'll add them later on.

ShiroiRen
Jul 18, 2021, 09:30 PM
Well, why not? Here's my input for this topic as well, my opinions only of course so it's moot to others unless they agree of the things. Disregard if not. Also things won't exactly be in order so pardon me. Also beware language.

The Pros:
Exploration is better, at least this time there's no random "Emergency Code" when someone simply sets foot out of the gate... like pesky Gel Wulfs or a random boss trying to kill me.

For Classes/Styles being updated despite back to the plebian ones (no Hero/Phantom/Etoile/Luster yet...) when a friend did say the changes here kinda rival the better ones of basic PSO2, they were serious indeed. I say all of them are much better, and I also admit that even classes I disliked are at least a bit better; like Fighter actually moves much faster and does even bigger combos this time, and Ranger has full auto firing and kind of felt like in those other shooting games (like Lost Planet 2), while some of my favorites are easier to use now such as Forces now can freaking defend and counterattack back this time!

Aerial combat is one of the best parts as I can now (kind of?) rain death from above down on foes below which kind of suits my favorite character's style lol (especially for Forces!)

Sub-classing a style giving full access to that one's entire weapon arsenal is helpful! No more having to look for built-in skill weapons which are underpowered just to use another's move with said weapon when wanting to use a lot of things...... or (if like me) unlucky Forces getting inventory nuked by Fighter/Ranger/Gunner/Hunter weapons every single damn time and yet they're the thing you're finding only and getting trolled by those which will never be used as the -only- high rariaty gear as a booby-prize instead of something actually wanted but never drops in 9 years straight... well at least those kuso-weapons can finally be used as a back-seat arsenal by some meaning I guess, and fully too.

Pricing isn't 100fuckingMillion+ here (sorry bad language but it's ridiculous, it'll never make any sense) making things far more reasonable to buy for those who don't get their secret. Takes me back to when I was around the good ol' days when prices were reasonable and actually possible to go shopping in player shops and such.

Areas specific for things instead of chaotic messes and not so much pesky enemies unless in specific "Combat Sectors" which is good for a person's change of pace. Also gathering doesn't require SG if you want to collect a lot anymore.

Making a "Multi-Weapon" is a new mechanic and might at least be up to a 3-Class weapon if done right (?) I think, though expensive but worth the hassle; such as making a real Devil May Cry style attempt of Sword + Dual Guns to be like Dante? :-P

Rappies are even cuter! ^^

Dragons, and they can be humiliated in the same old Monster Hunters' way lol (off with his tail!!)

Soundtrack is still headbanging in some places or soothing in others.

Dual Take-off start this time: now nobody is ahead/behind of the other for JP or the Unorthodox sides, a fair start. (... or so it seems, minus the censors)

Can cliff-hike like Genshin Impact / Skyrim, minus the Fall-Damage or stamina usage.

Most stuff from basic PSO2 can carry over to this one while they eventually decide to make things better (?) which is even more fashion chances in the future to come.

Records don't keep insults held on you anymore such as scoffing you for dying a lot; that data is scratched (and does not stack to generic PSO2 deaths roster either)

A new Once-A-Day scratch is added to some of the SG stuff for once, even if the odds are stacked against you, it's better than wasting actual SG to end up with undesirable trash and lose gems at least.

The Cons:

While class changes did take place, some still don't exactly feel any better that much and some changes aren't all that good either though they have their reasons for now... Gunner doesn't seem much different though at least it's a bit faster in my opinion(?), and some weapons have less of a omph than they used to as well, such as Launchers kind of feel weaker even if able to fire off lasers as a special attack that can overcharge... but some reason doesn't feel like it hits as hard anymore. Techer is the only one that uses Shifta & Deband anymore which is kind of well... limiting, but I can see that it now makes (pardon me) a difference in considering Force as "black mage (damager)" and Techer as "white mage (supporter?)" also getting black-barred PP problems are a royal pain when trying to force some jerk-boss into submission (moot)

VPN is now required to play the JP version, and that's a major drawback. I dislike the other unorthodox version.

A "Better than Good" computer is required to play the game at all. I actually can still run it on my own PC and my back-up one but having a laptop over 8 years old and not able to get a "better" one isn't good, and the Acer Aspire 3 got its battery fried and won't turn back on anymore even though I replaced the battery with a newer one (ouch).

Field "Veteran" Bosses will bar you from freely exploring if you aren't proper level and will kick your ass on first sight usually and recent update makes even them now to a point of futile to even try to fight back if you're only a little below-par, just die to them. (don't even bother trying to support a higher level player facing off, you're just in their way... and will get no credit either way.)

Gigantix bosses are pesky, useless terror. When trying to go out to gather some supplies on a lesser character / starting off as a newbie even without other characters on a new account, these bastards get in the way at some of the worst times and get the drop on you, and they cannot be detected by radar on first sight till they already attack/get attacked first and it's too late (both versions!) even if you're looking them dead in the face from a small distance hoping they don't bother... which then if you're not aware, can get the jump on you and it's over. For characters who are under-par/just starting out they should at least make these pests harder to find or get in a beginner's way. Like giant flies of Beelzebub, they are pesky and very evil, but will swat -you- instead.

No NPC partner hiring possible here anymore... not too good when wanting to speedley take out zako-mobs in a rush but can't find friends/don't want to go with randoms who are potential cowards. Makes some things drag a bit (not too serious, but I miss running around with a self-made NPC doppelganger lol)

You can't pet the animals who aren't hostile.

For a place where "Code: Capture" or "Code: Arrest" would be meaningful, you can't catch cute things and keep them as pets...

You cannot pet the cats in the city area anymore... :(

You still have to spank the Rappies, even if they never intend to hurt you, and can even sadistically torment them with any element (ouchies!) which is a bit much.... but can't so much to other brutes that deserve that treatment (except some bosses, and not as easily)

Resta is obsolete, it's now down to more Dark Souls like "Limited Heals" and if you drag in a long-endurance battle for the first time and have absolutely no idea what's coming while blind or wasted too many "Area Heal" items on people and then finally get targeted at the end when nothing is left, you're fucked.

Use of multiple characters in this version is discouraged it seems...

Mag is a generic one and not the same one you grew up with and loved... (I miss her... Tamahime...) nor do they attack for or help you anymore.

Forced-change controls to 3-type instead of 2-Type anymore which can be a bit difficult at first (moot)

Not every class is out at the time; no Hero, Phantom, Etoile, or Luster. Summoner isn't seen either yet, overrated Braver IS confirmed however but not yet there, Bouncer is still absent.

Not all gear carries over to NGS, and especially no "old" weapons allowed. No "all-class" weapons either/if do they aren't versatile anymore. Also PSO2 gear cannot be modified in NGS (not even grinding, this is to be expected though) so will have to go back to generic side if need to finalize those.

Lots of basic stuff is absent: no personal room, no team rooms, etc.

SG scratch even though free once a day is brutal; when even over 20+ failures (keep nuking me with MALE outfits or duplicate stamps, ouch!) yet no possible way to turn in scrap-badges into something actually desired at the time.

The targeting is the modern turkey fail system, please add something more like REFFI from Thunderforce! (lol, but really) as this is perhaps the biggest gripe I have of NGS yet and is No.01 actual legit game drawback that deducts points -- while I do want to hit a specific rat in the weak spot or a boss, the game targets -something else- and that gets me into trouble, a LOT :etongue: ...in fact is perhaps the most annoying case of this game to me to be honest as since I'm an aggressive FONewearl, I'd like to either fry a zako-mob in an instant or Barta-Blast a boss in the weak spot but "Oops WTF!?! Why did I target that puny little baka Lizard-Frey!?! Damn it!!" *gets hit in the face!* or *Boss zooms 90MPH a long distance, breaking targeting off then quickly buzzes back in but targeting goes off to some other hapless enemy!* this drives me "Diggnutts" and in some situations had me suffer premature deaths in absolute rage. It gets really serious in cases like a PSE-Burst with giant crowds of enemies coming from every wichway, one obstructing another and distorts my battle coordination terribly. (really nasty in Rank-2 and then a boss drops into the orgey too)

Random morbid curiosity: I wonder what future binomes will NGS have for us!?
what to expect: a Desert zone (confirmed!), a Tundra (unconfirmed but can see one), a Volcanic belt (please do NOT be as nasty as kill-all-players-on-walking boobytrapped Amdusca Caves!)

what I'd like to see (or not, lol): What's the DOLLs' territory like? Is there another Sheol area? A all-metal fortress? Actual city area? A underwater area that actually does allow swimming or such (more advanced seabed?), a creepy meat cave/cell invasion organic area? Any possible crossover areas from some other games in the future?

Will people be able to use more vehicles in the future to travel around too and fight in them?
--will we be able to take on an area like in Thunderforce or Panzer Dragoon? or any more full Mecha travel usage areas with familiar AIS bots or something bigger? (lol)

-an idiot can dream.

Cyclon
Jul 19, 2021, 01:52 AM
Thought of making such a thread recently. I don't think I would have because of laziness though... anyway I'll try not to repeat myself too much; game lacks content, combat is fine but a downgrade imo, I miss having my room, etc etc. I'll touch on other things.

Pros:

- The mobility is solid, as we have great speed and great control, to the point where I think the movement cocoons are the most fun part of the game for me, currently. Hope we see more content like that.

- The open world is too small, but what we do have and what we can peek at beyond the barriers is quite nice. Considering how pso2 was, this definitely wasn't a given. I'm very interested in certain upcoming zones.

- Enemy design is better fit to combat a crowd of players, which is good considering how NGS works.

- I'd say skill trees are generally improved. Each point feels more valuable and most skills directly impact gameplay in some way.

- The area system is commendably smooth, and partying up seems pretty painless as well.

- Combat power is, on principle, a good system.

- The story doesn't waste too much time, and considering it's now tied to progression(which is its own thing), this is for the better. I liked many of them, but pso2 had decidedly way too many side characters from the get go.

Cons:

- I've read most of everything anyone has said here and elsewhere and this has definitely not been said enough;
After almost a decade of thankless support, screw you for IP locking us without even a word or an opportunity to get our stuff back, Sega. I don't care that you're in your right, I don't care if you have reasons; you made the conscious decision to screw over some of your most loyal fans. I'm not naive, I know you'll suffer no consequences for this, but man do I wish you would.

- Back to NGS so to speak, I'd say it's now clear that there was a serious lack of ambition behind this project. Considering they had this huge opportunity after finally rebuilding an audience in the west and with pso2's general success, this is so disappointing to see. Feels like we're back at square one, again, and for the wrong reasons as usual. Frankly, I'm getting too old for this shit.

- Ok, for real now... I don't care much for the setting this time around. I'm willing to assume space travel is coming, but at the moment everything, from the conflict to the different parties to of course the planet itself(your biggest city is that size and not even a city really?), everything feels way too small and limited. There's no denying that past games merely gave an impression of scale granted, but I'd say they did a pretty good job at it.

- Most attacks in this game feel like they lack impact upon connecting and I'm not completely sure if it's a hitstop, sound or visual problem, but yeah. It's all the more surprising because some others do feel great to land.

- I've never really been one to afk in the lobbies, but even for me, NGS direly lacks coziness. Makes you realize that adventure can only be so exciting if you have nowhere to return to.

- I praised the enemy design on a gameplay level, however this game is a textbook case of why you should most always give your enemies faces of some kind. Most Dolls feel less intense, threatening and satisfying to defeat than they could've been.

- I think pso2 always had decent appeal as a purely single player game(aka being on your own without half a dozen others buzzing around). Heck, I think historically the online portion of this franchise has always generally delivered on that front. But NGS does not, at all.

oratank
Jul 19, 2021, 03:57 AM
task force player to pay to continue the more character you have the more pain you got
rank 2 map force you to complete story mission even you have enough power you can't enter it which mean you have to paid that stupid task i hope they change it someday

silo1991
Jul 19, 2021, 07:39 AM
pros
1 reworked weapons: weapons that i ddint used in OG PSO2 i use them a lot in NGS i use the partizan againts bosses a lot as ahuge example compared to OG which it was more useless than a gunblade(pre luster)
2 all classes now have added value as subclass no matter the combination you play and also NGS motivate you to be more experimental
3 the free SG pull its great , you can recycle the repeated stuff for SG tickets in OG PSO2 and get specific stuff in the permanent SG gatcha
4 i like the open world , i like the cocoon and tower quest
5 NGS base wears can be recolor which for most ocassions you dont have to buy 2 or more colors of the same BA now

cons
1 the lack of default makeups for NGS faces and bodies , hell not even mustaches and beards at least
2 the story (and on the way) map discoveries are not account shared , if you are new you wouldnt notice that but most of us already have plenty of characters and with each we have to clear the story and rediscover all the places in the map , IMO this is a huge stepback considering the NGS director its the same fool who directed EP5 and there the story progress was unified.
at least the cocoon/tower quest progress its unified
3 the gigantix management: the spawn of these enemies are badly implemented , you can see them in centra Aerio nearby central city , a newbie area WTH
and with the recent changes its even more WTH
4 the battle hardened enemies : why nullify the damage instead of just make them high risk enemies , just damage a shielded enemy and you do more damage than a battle hardened enemy , and even if you kill them you dont win EXP anymore a crappy execution IMO
4.1 why make under level enemies give 1 EXP instead of give what they should , for example western and south Aerio enemies gives 10 EXP if the fight its fair , why they cant still give 10 EXP despite even in max level we cant 1 shot them ?
5 the roadmap worry me for the fact NGS might commit the same mistakes as EP5 the only relief its : EP6 director (who also created phantom , etoile and luster) its in charge of class balance so its imposible the Hero phenomenon repeats again

leilei
Jul 19, 2021, 10:56 AM
The launcher beam doesn't shoot all the way up or down.

There's random freezes now and then.

Accessories' mounting and colors aren't saved in ensembles.

Positional audio front/back is reversed.

FO's pretty weak right now. Those bartas feel like i'm petting someone. Gizonde is a razonde.

The monster AI is rather amusing right now, i quite enjoyed solo'ing a veteran banshee struggling to climb a cliffside lol

Overall it does feel like a premature launch with not a lot of ironing out, not helped by the restricted microsoft platform beta tests, but there's also that pandemic thing holding production back... Hopefully everything in this post means moot in 3 months.

the_importer_
Jul 19, 2021, 02:11 PM
It's a "meh" for me. I've been playing on both the Global servers and JPN servers when we got a translation for it. Mind you, this is my last week on the Global servers, just no point to it, you can see that it's gonna be an inferior version right off the bat.

Pros:
-It looks better, but that bar wasn't high to begin with
-I like being able to teleport anywhere on the map
-While there's less Photon Arts, I feel like what little there are plenty effective and some old ones were converted to weapon actions
-Accessing storage from anywhere and selling stuff is very useful
-No more spending cash on mates, moons and boosts is a nice bonus
-I like the new SP system, hope they'll be generous with the amounts in the other regions
-Love the gathering system
-Basically, the only thing that costs meseta is the player shops and upgrade shop, which is a good thing
-Love the new affix system, no more rage when you fail, just a small inconvenience

Cons for both versions:
-Lack of Techs
-Not having Titles from the start is not motivating me to play enough
-Can't trade with other premium players
-No "My Room", they could have at least sent you to your regular PSO2 room without having to change game
-Speaking of which, you need to log out everytime you want to change characters
-Most new enemies are just ugly, very basic design
-Recycling old enemies was lazy
-They should have limited certain enemies per areas
-Public chat reaches too far, it's very annoying
-Meseta is very limited. Enemies and selling junk doesn't give much and once you get all of the red box, it feels like all you have left is a weekly allowance.
-EXP boost is limited at 10% for premium, 10% is you spend 250SG and 10% for Region Mag
-Sub-class almost feel pointless now except for when you need to get it to Lv15
-My main class, Fo, feels very nerfed now. It can't boost and most of its Skills are meant for PP and not making your techs stronger
-Most skills are main class now
-Very little story so far and I hope it doesn't turn out to be something like "ARKS were the real enemy the entire time!"
-The music is also very generic. Phantasy Star OSTs always had something too them, but I'm not feeling this one (except for the Deads/Veterans music)
-The game in general feels soulless. Phantasy Star games were always flawed, but had a certain charm, a soul to them. This one seems like a cookie cutter of how to make an MMO and they branded the name Phantasy Star to it

Cons for specific versions:
-Need a VPN for the JPN version now, not sure if it's an IP banned that was asked by MS or due to SEGA's butterfingers
-The Global version is infested with spammers selling Meseta and they haven't done anything about this. They could have easily prevent this by requiring having to do more in the game before being able to chat publicly like get unlock your subclass.
-The Region Mag simply doesn't work for the Global version, that concept of everyone working together is not a Western mentality, it's a Japanese mentality. In the west, it's "Me, myself and I" so once people have capped their desired classes and gotten all the rares and items they need, they'll just stop feeding the Region Mag or just feed the damage boost one. They would need the Mag to keep it's boost if you keep feeding it, not reset it every 24 hours.

That's it for now.

ShinMaruku
Jul 26, 2021, 12:29 AM
The Open world part has been a massive con for me. The only game were that worked for me was saints row.

Bellex
Jul 29, 2021, 04:50 PM
Pros: Big open world, many shiny's, classes are more fun, gathering is quicker.

Cons: Audio sometimes cuts out when doing aoe, still some random lag, bosses going off map or through ground (hilarious every time), e & t symbols fading

Zulastar
Sep 17, 2021, 05:38 PM
1 Where is adjustable interface? Even Classic WoW back in 2005 had it.

2 Where is a free adjustable camera?

3 Why camera's always forcefully change itself whenever it wants?

4 Why in Salon I still can't open a few option adjusting windows?

5 Why when I exchange ability capsules I need to input tons of resources and not a destination item wanted count?

6 Why need to make these Cocoons/Towers when players clear these once to 5 star and forget about them?

7 Where is a direct Tasks window hotkey?

8 Why when I rebind some functions like "interact", "dodge", "switch target", etc. to differrent buttons they works only in Cursor mode but not in Camera one?

9 Why game during a combat feels free to start a chat with NPC due to Task clear and remove subpallete bar from a screen so it's functions and weapon switching can't be used at this time till dialogue which can't be skipped ends?

10 Why there is no option to hide all items unusable in NGS in storage? Or at least sort them like this? It's really annoying to list this endless Material storage just to skip all unusable items and find some NGS stuff among them...

11 Why there is no option to switch inventory from list to icons?

12 Why when I sell items I need to click these fcking arrows on each item? I wanna freaking click-drag highlight selecting and selling it one click already in damn 2021.

And I have more to add now:

13 Freaking autotargeting still don't work properly and don't have a sensitivity settings: it's targeting a further targets first even these which are out of reach and can jump 3 times more and end up somewhere else while I press a Lock-on button.

14 When open an Inventory - all interface disappear.. why? It's annoying.

15 Double jump sometimes just don't want to work and do a glide roll with a second press of a button.

16 Freaking Layering Wear Accessory Hiding option: when I change fashion layouts it can on and off at random and saving a layout with specified option doesn't help.

17 Lock-on persrective: Camera. It worked about 5 minutes when I'm actually could move a camera while Locked-On and returned as it was - static and directed to the target after that. So switch an option doesn't work anymore.

18 With a Boss Camera switched on Bujin and Wauron cameras not getting further but closer instead. It's
annoying. And when you switch it off, you can't target Oruka's head and Axe/Sword upper parts...

19 Where is message window scaling or transparenting at least? I can barely see a thing when other playes chat and spam Stamps and SAs. UPD: I know why it's happening - in OG message ballons and SA where shown in a depth where were a character launched it but here they're on a surface of a screen. It's lame and annoying.

Almost forgot a few things about a shitty SEGA's policy:

S1 N-SG Badges useless now and just stockpile.

S2 N-Color Change Pass can't be obtained by ingame methods, only with real money payment, moreover beside a paywall.

S3 No free conversion of an old stuff players spent their money on. They're selling it one more time instead.

S4 I'm still disappointed with a Free players completely cut off from selling stuff in Shop.

S5 IP block.

ArcaneTechs
Sep 18, 2021, 02:33 AM
I dislike Sega thinking they can pull off the 6 month gap in content and assume that once that December major update hits that its suppose to keep everyone busy for half a year again when reality is everyones going to power through it in under 2 weeks because everyones been wanting new content already and its finally here but just not enough added (Lv20->35 is going to the only thing keeping people busy) and while they continue to push out more scratches as "content". what they were doing in PSO2 for pushing out content I think was okay (even though there were plenty of sparse months of no content either) but could have been better.

with the release of Bouncer next month, I'm looking forward to no new continue to enjoy it in because running the same current content is surely fun and amazing.

AND since this game isn't going to be out of open Beta until Luster releases next year, its going to be a super long time before we get to actually see some NEW CLASSES show up with NEW weapon types we haven't seen in PSO2/NGS yet (looking at PSU weapons or completely new weapons).

Shiyo
Sep 18, 2021, 04:25 PM
I dislike Sega thinking they can pull off the 6 month gap in content and assume that once that December major update hits that its suppose to keep everyone busy for half a year again when reality is everyones going to power through it in under 2 weeks because everyones been wanting new content already and its finally here but just not enough added (Lv20->35 is going to the only thing keeping people busy) and while they continue to push out more scratches as "content". what they were doing in PSO2 for pushing out content I think was okay (even though there were plenty of sparse months of no content either) but could have been better.

with the release of Bouncer next month, I'm looking forward to no new continue to enjoy it in because running the same current content is surely fun and amazing.

AND since this game isn't going to be out of open Beta until Luster releases next year, its going to be a super long time before we get to actually see some NEW CLASSES show up with NEW weapon types we haven't seen in PSO2/NGS yet (looking at PSU weapons or completely new weapons).
Games state is absolutely pathetic and Sega should be ashamed for this sad pathetic excuse of a game. However, Sega refuses to admit there's any issues with NGS so this "game" will never improve at this rate.

We will continue to see this game being run like a low effort mobile game while being a multi-platform high system requirements triple A MMO.
Steam charts has this game at a laughable nearly Tree of Savior player count(tweaker players count for stream users) with a constant decline on a daily basis.

Zulastar
Sep 18, 2021, 11:09 PM
Well I tried to hit that annoying pot-bellied bastrad to his arms and legs just for fun... and I couldn't.
With this and these annoying messages on top of the screen, ugly and clumsy unchangable UI, bug with keyboard buttons rebinding, old broken autotargeting and camera I'm tired of most.
With all of this NGS reeks cheap donate dumpster, like these countless of it on the phone. Most of them even lack a gameplay part and have only donate mechanics and some attractive graphics to lure idiot costumers in it.

TehCubey
Sep 19, 2021, 12:50 PM
#1 dislike: the (global) playerbase.

Zulastar
Sep 30, 2021, 06:55 PM
1 Where is adjustable interface? Even Classic WoW back in 2005 had it.

2 Where is a free adjustable camera?

3 Why camera's always forcefully change itself whenever it wants?

4 Why in Salon I still can't open a few option adjusting windows?

5 Why when I exchange ability capsules I need to input tons of resources and not a destination item wanted count?

6 Why need to make these Cocoons/Towers when players clear these once to 5 star and forget about them?

7 Where is a direct Tasks window hotkey?

8 Why when I rebind some functions like "interact", "dodge", "switch target", etc. to differrent buttons they works only in Cursor mode but not in Camera one?

9 Why game during a combat feels free to start a chat with NPC due to Task clear and remove subpallete bar from a screen so it's functions and weapon switching can't be used at this time till dialogue which can't be skipped ends?

10 Why there is no option to hide all items unusable in NGS in storage? Or at least sort them like this? It's really annoying to list this endless Material storage just to skip all unusable items and find some NGS stuff among them...

11 Why there is no option to switch inventory from list to icons?

12 Why when I sell items I need to click these fcking arrows on each item? I wanna freaking click-drag highlight selecting and selling it one click already in damn 2021.

13 Freaking autotargeting still don't work properly and don't have a sensitivity settings: it's targeting a further targets first even these which are out of reach and can jump 3 times more and end up somewhere else while I press a Lock-on button.

14 When open an Inventory - all interface disappear.. why? It's annoying.

15 Double jump sometimes just don't want to work and do a glide roll with a second press of a button.

16 Freaking Layering Wear Accessory Hiding option: when I change fashion layouts it can on and off at random and saving a layout with specified option doesn't help.

17 Lock-on persrective: Camera. It worked about 5 minutes when I'm actually could move a camera while Locked-On and returned as it was - static and directed to the target after that. So switch an option doesn't work anymore.

18 With a Boss Camera switched on Bujin and Wauron cameras not getting further but closer instead. It's
annoying. And when you switch it off, you can't target Oruka's head and Axe/Sword upper parts...

19 Where is message window scaling or transparenting at least? I can barely see a thing when other playes chat and spam Stamps and SAs. UPD: I know why it's happening - in OG message ballons and SA where shown in a depth where were a character launched it but here they're on a surface of a screen. It's lame and annoying.

Almost forgot a few things about a shitty SEGA's policy:

S1 N-SG Badges useless now and just stockpile.

S2 N-Color Change Pass can't be obtained by ingame methods, only with real money payment, moreover beside a paywall.

S3 No free conversion of an old stuff players spent their money on. They're selling it one more time instead.

S4 I'm still disappointed with a Free players completely cut off from selling stuff in Shop.

S5 IP block.

19a with example: I don't even see a guy who used this but it still on a surface of my screen blocking a view. Sometimes this shit showed even from another side of location: I'm at Western bottom and guy used it at top and I still see it...
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/kYSdPwx.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/kYSdPwx.jpg)[/SPOILER-BOX]
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/kSE97aa.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/kSE97aa.jpg)[/SPOILER-BOX]

20 Freakin throwing under textures in Halphia Lake when try to enter full or almost full block:
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/sjQeIrs.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/sjQeIrs.jpg)[/SPOILER-BOX]

21 I disabled all notifications in options and it seems doesn't work either - this shit's still keep showing:
[SPOILER-BOX]https://i.imgur.com/0M7hlUr.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/0M7hlUr.jpg)[/SPOILER-BOX]

22 A MAJOR problem of a PSO2 still don't reworked and seems won't be forever: reconnecting after 630 won't return you to the instance where you were. IT S A FUCKING 2021 and WoW back in 2005 had this freaking session resuming.

Uncle_bob
Oct 10, 2021, 05:04 PM
everything lmao

Zulastar
Oct 31, 2021, 09:14 PM
Seems they added a button in inventory to switch it to icons mode... it ruins items translation tho.

23 ALL bosses and almost all mobs have a ranged attack. It's lame.

24 Almost all enemy attacks have a stagger or knockdown effect attached to them. It's a thing appeared in late PSO2c and now it's here. (If somebody doesn't know what a stagger is try to be swarmed by a Boms in TDA) Both interrupts PA/Tech charging. It's annoying and lame too.

25 No crowd control skills. As a Br I need to kite a mob pack a lot in order if not gather but at least line them up to maximise AoE outcome. It's annoying. I want Gravity Point instead of Dimensional Ray. Or Gravity or at least Slow effect attached to it.

Bojji
Nov 2, 2021, 07:46 AM
There are so many things to say that I don't know where to start.
Fortunately most of them have been completed, here.

This is a general opinion but NGS was released too early.

For me, the game is a regression and I don't enjoy playing it anymore.
they managed to screw up most of the classes : Gunner/Bouncer/Braver
for the hunter, I just like the fact that it is a bit more flexible / quick
rather than having to take 30 years to get a shot.

I hate (practically) everything else.

The Open World which is clumsy and not at all adapted.
(seriously, you look really stupid walking through these empty plains for farm or other)
I don't hate the gigantix but the same, you have to hurry up and run anywhere to find it.
(even if someone is kind enough to say where it is, it's the same thing)

I don't like the BP system either.

scratch AC that act as content lmaooo

The game is boring as the "content".
The game is empty and apart from doing the same thing (daily quests or farm to get level 20), there is nothing else to do.
I don't like the farm in NGS, I find it boring. everything in the game is boring and no fun...
Seasonal events are all the same.

SEGA does not respect our playing time, there is still no schedule.
I don't have time to wait and the game doesn't have to tell me what to do at what time.
I've never seen a game where players have to wait on top of a cliff for something to happen, and it's not even by choice, like the hall in PSO2 Classic.

What a shame.

The market has become horrible, most items are now between 8 and 10 million. Especially the emote...
A limit should be added rather than continuing to kill the game.

Big problem with the auto-lock that moves anywhere.
The enemies are quite ridiculous in terms of design.
No emergency code, no room (personal or alliance), the new PSE BURST voice is boring and bland.

The only good point I remember from the game is the redesign of the affix system, easier and a bit more practical.
The class tree and teleporters, fortunately they are there.
not to mention all the problems with the game base...

I miss PSO2

everything lmao

Good summary lol

Zulastar
Nov 9, 2021, 10:54 AM
Yellow crates are already very rare enough. But drop rate of Alpha Reactors from it make an actual chance ridiculos.

Zulastar
Nov 30, 2021, 10:06 PM
It's me again >_< Let's continue:

Enhanced Enemies. In PSO2c Enhance Spike was an immersive way to provide a Weak Spot to the enemy which naturally doesn't had one in cost of amplyfing it's attack force - kind of berserk mode due to pain from that spike piercing. Why they're changed it? Why a Spike pierced through a mob doesn't weaken it but provides with a fcking force field instead? This is stupid.

Minimap (aka radar). Besides of annoying placement which cannot be changed this shit have awfully low refresh rate (must be a realtime btw) and need it's full network code to be rewritten honestly. It's annoying to have around a markers of players which already teleported away stucked to it and can't say when any player approach you so you can leave him stuff like a Trial or a rare mob to hit. Dread enemies must be seen on it well but I can't even see one I'm currently looking on:
https://i.imgur.com/hhzjWwr.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/hhzjWwr.jpg)

PS: almost forgot. Minimap in it's current state doesn't need close-up function but zoom-out instead and an options to change it's place and size.

classicburger
Dec 2, 2021, 09:31 PM
Winter update soon and I have been hearing rumours saying there won't be 5* equips coming out. I guess we'll see in a few days in PSO2 headlines livestream.

SELENNA
Dec 4, 2021, 09:12 PM
Like: visual aesthetics
Dislikes: everything else, sadly.

To me, Phantasy Star Online lost its identity when it chased the MMO crowd instead of being its own thing. Granted, the series always had MMO elements and even featured a paywall back then (Hunter's Licence), but instead of embracing what made PSO and PSO:BB special, I feel like SEGA does the bare minimum.

I actually thing freedom of movement is a bad design choice for this series. It means you have to plan ahead for both horizontal AND vertical combat, which is a bit too much. Take it as you will, but limitations foster creativity. I feel like it's too busy now, with people just spamming attacks left and right with little to no consideration.

silo1991
Dec 6, 2021, 08:21 AM
a thing i dislike its : what is stopping them from adding the weapon form change feature ? i mean all the models of 12* weapons and below are in NGS

have you ever change any 13* to 15* weapons into any 12* and below ? i already did before NGS by changing an EX atlas rifle into an (10* rifle) steb weapon form and guess what, the steb weapon model looks nice and on normal attacks sound like that weapon .

so once again what is stopping them from adding that feature

ArcaneTechs
Dec 6, 2021, 04:04 PM
a thing i dislike its : what is stopping them from adding the weapon form change feature ? i mean all the models of 12* weapons and below are in NGS

have you ever change any 13* to 15* weapons into any 12* and below ? i already did before NGS by changing an EX atlas rifle into an (10* rifle) steb weapon form and guess what, the steb weapon model looks nice and on normal attacks sound like that weapon .

so once again what is stopping them from adding that feature

pro tip: this game is literally still in early access/beta. thats whats stopping them, this game has quite not officially launched yet, its been obvious since June. they barely managed to get the camo system fixed properly too so transmog stuff isnt a priority right now

silo1991
Dec 6, 2021, 10:21 PM
pro tip: this game is literally still in early access/beta. thats whats stopping them, this game has quite not officially launched yet, its been obvious since June. they barely managed to get the camo system fixed properly too so transmog stuff isnt a priority right now

you are right in that point , the day when weapon form change its available , OG-PSO2 will gain more value for the 12 star weapons and bellow which had crazy and witty apperances .

now that i think about it , i see why lately PSO2es has been adding a lot of weaponcamos lately specially on the drop pools of weeky quest (tower,extreme survival and challenge quest) some are camos for multiple weapons like one camo of the pristine series for example

lunartear
Dec 12, 2021, 09:35 AM
pros: rappy can now wave at you and free mag skin switching

cons: everything else but specifically the gameplay (more button mashing than pso2), aesthetic and design

i am a global player, never was on jp but loved playing the original pso2, did not get into hardcore content but loved to play every day since windows 10 release. can't stand ngs and wish it never was linked to pso2, has killed off all of the fun of the original and feels like a cashgrab. nothing in the game entices me and the design of the npcs, the outfits and weapons are all highly unappealing and dont feel very "phantasy star online" to me. gameplay feels like hand cramp city with how much you press the same things over and over and not much strategy, not a fan of the open world aspect or the fights. wish i was here for base pso2 years ago

Zulastar
Dec 21, 2021, 08:26 PM
Lets continue:

- Default Multiblock matchmaking which cannot be disabled and robs your Mag Boosts each time it toss you to an empty channel.

- Boosts can't be paused. Their time spending even if you're in Salon or logged out.

- Unadjustable overshoulder camera: personally for me it's just to close - character blocking the view and make a claustrophobia effect a little.

Zulastar
Dec 28, 2021, 10:30 AM
JUST. FUCK. THIS. SHIT.

https://i.imgur.com/hBprfdr.jpg (https://i.imgur.com/hBprfdr.jpg)

It's a freaking torture up to 20 minutes wasting each time on starting UQ in a same block to pervent mag boosts diappearing.

classicburger
Dec 29, 2021, 03:20 AM
That’s probably just a bug, yes?

Anyway, NGS is still the smallest open world game I have ever seen even after the so-called big update.

I have not mentioned it before but I think gathering is unnecessary and just plain boring. I used to have a daily mining route, picking up items along the way and fighting very low level enemies. I honestly just don’t see the fun in that.

PSO should just be TA style party dungeons with ultimate level enemies that drop rares and gatherables randomly over endless repetition.

I have also fixed my problem with boss camera zooming out by just turning the function off and just ticking my lock on whenever I need it.

First big update is a disappointment sadly, I just don’t think this small open world works compared to what the previous games had. It’s missing that fast paced rhythm action I really enjoyed (JA).

Zulastar
Dec 29, 2021, 09:19 AM
Anyway, NGS is still the smallest open world game I have ever seen even after the so-called big update.

Let's be honest and say it's still an open beta. But it's really can't be compared in scale and depth with such as WoW, TERA and many others I don't played personally. I beleive they'll add a few more planets after fully opening this one.

I have also fixed my problem with boss camera zooming out by just turning the function off and just ticking my lock on whenever I need it.

Yep. Camera is a biggest problem here aside of uncontinuable sessions. Lock-on perspective - Camera still don't work for me. And Boss Camera on bosses like Bujin and Wauron still closing-up instead of zoom-out. It's fcking annoying.

SteveCZ
Apr 28, 2022, 10:37 PM
The game is out for almost a year so I think it's best for me to finally write my opinion about this game. I've thought about this for a long time. Be prepared, because it'll be long. I tried my best to be unaffected by other's opinion while writing this. Okay here we go:

:-o

Mystil
May 26, 2022, 03:32 PM
Updates are handled in a fashion similar to PSU minus the "wait for a year before even getting one". Instead 'it's get an update and have barely anything in it to hold people over to the next update.'

So basically I just dislike the overall approach the team is taking with the game. I have no problem with the game itself, in fact I'm so hoping this game saves me from FFXIV because I'm REAL tired of that game.

Shinzakura
Jul 12, 2022, 09:13 PM
Well, I thought I'd get back into PSO after some extended time away (and by extended time I mean I played PSO and PSU). Didn't care much for PSO2 when I first installed and then a friend of mine told me about NGS, so I figured I'd give it a shot when it first came out. Like many of you said, it was a glorified beta, so I set it down. I figured I'd come back and see if things have improved since.

The good: The rappies are cute, far cuter than PSO2C. I love the open movement rather than running from room to room - the open world aspect really did the game a lot of good. Multiweapon is good, though needs better execution.

The bad:
Where do I start?
Does Sega actually give a shit about games not called Yakuza, Total War, Persona or Sonic (and the jury's still out on that one) anymore? I swear, this game is so poorly programmed, it's not funny. The interface is still cobbled together incorrectly from Japanese (L2 trigger to go right? Um...we don't read from right to left unless it's manga) and so many things are broken (hello, nonexistent subpallete binding) it's pathetic. Shit that seems completely off and why am I seeing PSO2C-only stuff in NGS when that stuff should be walled off?

The amount of "throw money at us" shit that is in the game is embarrassing. Hell, I play Destiny 2 on a regular basis, I think Bungie is out of their minds with Eververse and yet they're practical saints when compared to how much free shit they give out in comparison to Sega. The store feels like it wants to be a gacha mobile festival, but they didn't even get around to doing that. And of course, that still depends if it works. I got a Annivo Mamixo whatevero ticket to Use to change my mag, and yet somehow I can't do anything with it other than ping-pong it back and forth between inventory and storage. If it's PSO2C-based (and the description says it's NGS exclusive), then something is wrong.

The game is grindy, but fun. Even still, there's not enough missions and even with laying waste to the countryside, there still doesn't feel like enough to do. I'm not expecting FF14-levels of "everything under the sun", but seriously, could we actually do something with all this? Wipe off the Phantasy Star aspects and this game is a generic scifi MMO that even MiHoYo couldn't fuck up. Again, I play D2, Bungie takes lumps for story and gameplay and yet they seem to have done better than this whole mess.

A few years back I beta'd a game called EOS (Eon of Soul) that was so bad it never made it out of beta. I feel like someone at Sega looked at that disaster and said, "Hold my beer."

Part of me is still amazed that Microsoft wanted Sega to bring this to the US. Was it rose-colored-glasses from their involvement in PSU? Was it just something to tweak Sony for? Or were they deluded into thinking that Sega had a plan with this? I have no idea. Apparently neither do the people in Asia & Japan Studio Div. 3.

Zulastar
Jul 13, 2022, 01:39 AM
I got a Annivo Mamixo whatevero ticket to Use to change my mag, and yet somehow I can't do anything with it other than ping-pong it back and forth between inventory and storage. If it's PSO2C-based (and the description says it's NGS exclusive), then something is wrong.

It's a button "Register new form" under Equipment -> Mag section.

My personal complaint: with this anniversary shit a game became rushed to the point of a completely no room to rest.
It's always: EQ's, concerts, endless storms, which can occur even during an other storm, and dread grinding with rappies now. I didn't mention a daily necessities like golden crates in Kvaris or collecting quartz and food.
And we have an LQ incoming today. I'm burnt out to the point of dropping it all...

Shinzakura
Jul 13, 2022, 05:24 PM
It's a button "Register new form" under Equipment -> Mag section.

Thanks. I actually tried that several times before, but weirdly enough, the new mag didn't show up until after you suggested that. Chalk that up to yet another broken thing, or just blind luck.

My personal complaint: with this anniversary shit a game became rushed to the point of a completely no room to rest.
It's always: EQ's, concerts, endless storms, which can occur even during an other storm, and dread grinding with rappies now. I didn't mention a daily necessities like golden crates in Kvaris or collecting quartz and food.
And we have an LQ incoming today. I'm burnt out to the point of dropping it all...

I actually don't mind so much, if it wasn't for the fact that it's all grindy. Having that level of variety works. Though I do question the endless repetition of concerts and "movie concerts" (seriously, how hard is it to call it a viewing or something more accurate?). I suppose, coming from the days of PSO and PSU where we were lucky if they paid attention to us at all, this is better than nothing, but nowadays, this just ain't going to cut it.

ArcaneTechs
Jul 13, 2022, 06:44 PM

i dont understand how a game with so little to do has YOU with no room to rest. all the things you listed are completely optional, you dont have to rush every storm for Gigantix farming, you dont have to show up for the concert boost basically until 00:11 and dread farming brings in some nice meseta is not something you have to do every time you get on.

not to mention the LQ is basically DoA basically just for w/e reason does not care to put more incentive to run it outside a limited time Scratch for tickets you dont always get every run. This game has so much rest time in between things its unreal, if this was base PSO2 content then maybe i'd sympathize but with the current state of the game, no, I can't take this serious. you'd have to be idk incredibly casual or something, with extremely limited time to play to really feel this way everytime you get on.

Sparxlost
Jul 18, 2022, 11:19 PM
Things i like
Open world (although it maybe could have been done a bit better)
multi-weapons reduces the skill gap of players by allowing them to effectively run two weapons on one bar.
fashion DUH

Things that could be better
Story (the current story is wack and we still dont even know what the heck we are here for besides just helping out where we can like we have no clear objective other than kill dark falz i guess)
Twin daggers is terrible for damage and honestly most of its kit would better be suited for soaring blades imo... (there is this one perk that makes the weapon action serve as a sweet SB style gap closer)
Ik this is going to sound stupid but the game isnt grindy enough.. what i mean is that when they release new PAs and techs they just drop them into your characters knowledge instead of making them into farmable drops from green chests or whatever..
Geography and safe havens.... oh geez here i go for an open world game they have done well in the variety of biomes but the scale is miniscule and they dont transition very well into each other... it feels like the game isnt much and isnt meant to be much... as for safe havens i would say central aelio is the best one they have so far but suffers from lack of thing to do i feel safe havens should have a place to access a personal quarters and a building for alliance hq. there were a couple of buildings in central i though would be perfect for those sorts of things but sadly none in retem or kvaris..
Weapons series.. there just arent enough for people whose playstyle might differ my favorite weapon potential was from resurgir series and it is obsolet now so pls sega make a mk2 resurgir or something... also it would be nice to see unique weapons with rare or purchaseable drops that wouldnt be made for multi weapons but would alter or enhance one or all of a weapons PAs in some way...

Sesheenku
Aug 24, 2022, 04:35 PM
Just started but...

The story is total garbage compared to classic. I skipped it after enduring the utter generic tripe I was being subjected to and I plan to skip all of the story from here on out.

I like that some of the more tedious things have been made account based so I can avoid at least some of the extra grinding with characters.

I hate being forced to do the story, particularly when no effort is being exercised to provide a good one. If I wanted this kind of story I'd go watch some bargain bin shounen.

Shiyo
Nov 6, 2022, 08:52 AM
Just started but...

The story is total garbage compared to classic. I skipped it after enduring the utter generic tripe I was being subjected to and I plan to skip all of the story from here on out.

I like that some of the more tedious things have been made account based so I can avoid at least some of the extra grinding with characters.

I hate being forced to do the story, particularly when no effort is being exercised to provide a good one. If I wanted this kind of story I'd go watch some bargain bin shounen.
Thanks FF14 for making every developer think shitty story should be forced onto everyone to unlock zones and content.

Sparxlost
Dec 22, 2022, 06:21 PM
NGS has been out for a while now and it's probably a good time to share our thoughts on what has become better or in some cases worse than what most of us enjoy. Keep in mind this thread is mainly about each individual's opinion so there is no need to try and debate each other into changing his / her opinion. I'll be starting things off with:

Battle Speed / Tempo - I am a combat freak and while I feel like the new combat is not bad I find I am missing how fast the tempo was in
the old PSO2, the motion was also very fluid because of the smoother cancels.

Boss Battle Camera - Unlike the old PSO2 with a behind the back third person view camera, zooming out removes a sense of immersion in the action making me feel like I'm playing some RTS game. Turning off the option also makes the game quite unplayable because of the lock-on camera.

Lock-on Camera - It's just bad as it is now. On top of how difficult it has become to lock on to a part you want, most of the time the camera will be behind the boss blocking everything in your view.

Salon and face editing - This has been around since forever but the NGS salon is worse for face editing. There is a big difference between the face inside the salon and outside the salon. I get the feeling the face has been warped and deformed to an abomination. I'd stick with the old Salon when editing faces and the NGS salon for editing body.

NGS Body - I like it, specifically type 2.

There's probably more to the list but I'll add them later on.

i totally agree with this and have more to add even..

there is a lack of photon art options compared to when I started base and that might be why combat feels so rarely lacking

two birds with one stone here but i think that in addition to being able to turn off boss camera angle you should be able to use your personal camera settings with normal camera movement and this would solve both the BBC (lol) and the LoC problems for most people as those wouldnt JUST be used for screenshots but for gameplay as well....

on another note entirely is something less important
Most towns other that aelio are small and there isnt much to them.. all of your stuff is crammed into one spot which is convenient but leaves something to be desired in my mind... obviously this is kind of unfix-able but eh advise for future and all that..

awcg
Jan 1, 2023, 04:33 PM
PSO2 and NGS remind me of how RPGs struggled to offer long-term value due to small available memory in the NES-era, expanding their lifespan by ramping difficulty up and forcing players to farm. On the other hand, games such as arcade games could be played again and again. One thing that I liked about PSO2 is that even though it still had farming in its DNA, all the different quest types made endgame feel like walking into such an arcade, picking whatever you like and improving just for fun whereas NGS feels more like one of those RPGs. I enjoy open worlds, but I don't think PSO2 benefited from it.

the_importer_
Feb 5, 2023, 04:44 PM
Not too much activity on these forums nowadays, guess all of the "PSO2 is dying" videos that YouTube has been recommended must be not too far off. Just curious, have any of the cons I posted back in 2021 been fixed?

Anduril
Feb 5, 2023, 05:14 PM
Not too much activity on these forums nowadays, guess all of the "PSO2 is dying" videos that YouTube has been recommended must be not too far off. Just curious, have any of the cons I posted back in 2021 been fixed?

The Phantasy Star Fleet Discord seems to have a monopoly on the western PSO2 community from what I've seen since the Tweaker kinda points people there.

As for your list of Cons:
-Lack of Techs
• They have added 6 more Techs (2 for Wind, Light, and Dark) since launch as well as Compound Techs

-Not having Titles from the start is not motivating me to play enough
• Titles have been added, and they primarily reward SG

-Can't trade with other premium players
• This is still the case

-No "My Room", they could have at least sent you to your regular PSO2 room without having to change game
• (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92DBnvn80g)Creative Spaces (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p92DBnvn80g) are coming in June, and they are far more expansive than MyRooms

-Speaking of which, you need to log out everytime you want to change characters
• They have added back the option to go to Ship Select without logging you out

-Most new enemies are just ugly, very basic design
• This is personal taste based, but there have been some interesting new designs and remixes IMO

-Recycling old enemies was lazy
• Since there does seem to possibly be a lore reason for it, I'm personally not bothered by this one much, though having a Rockbear reskin for 3 of the 4 regions is kinda grating

-They should have limited certain enemies per areas
• This is still pretty much the same, though some combat sectors have more spawns of certain types and some even exclude some types (like the newest area being [almost] only DOLLS, but from every region)

-Public chat reaches too far, it's very annoying
• I think there are now some options to reduce Public Chat, but I can't recall at the moment

-Meseta is very limited. Enemies and selling junk doesn't give much and once you get all of the red box, it feels like all you have left is a weekly allowance.
• There are a lot more weekly Meseta Tasks as well as three Daily Vendor Item types which give a total of ~100k per day, but yeah, the majority of meseta to be made is from Scratches and rarer affixes (assuming you have Premium/a Shop Pass). (EDIT: As of 05 April 2023, Tasks have been updated so you get more Meseta overall weekly, but it is distributed mainly through Daily Tasks at 130k per day for completing your Dailies.)

-EXP boost is limited at 10% for premium, 10% is you spend 250SG and 10% for Region Mag
• Aside from a couple of really big EXP Tasks before the 3rd and 4th regions, Yellow Trigger Missions are similar to bonus quests for massive EXP nowadays. Also EXP boosters are a little more abundant; you can trade in your unused free daily SG scratch items for EX+25%s and EX+50%s, and the Mission Pass has a few as well.

-Sub-class almost feel pointless now except for when you need to get it to Lv15/Most skills are main class now
• There are more subclass usable skills now, but mileage will vary on how you feel about them

-My main class, Fo, feels very nerfed now. It can't boost and most of its Skills are meant for PP and not making your techs stronger
• There are more power boosting skills for Force, on top of being one of the only two classes that can use Compounds

-Very little story so far and I hope it doesn't turn out to be something like "ARKS were the real enemy the entire time!"
• They have added more story, including side stories, but there are still lots of unanswered questions, and there is still less overall story compared to PSO2 in the same time period from release

-The music is also very generic. Phantasy Star OSTs always had something too them, but I'm not feeling this one (except for the Deads/Veterans music)
• Again, personal taste, but some of the newer tracks sound great to me, especially the Dark Falz themes

-The game in general feels soulless. Phantasy Star games were always flawed, but had a certain charm, a soul to them. This one seems like a cookie cutter of how to make an MMO and they branded the name Phantasy Star to it
• The game is definitely more fleshed out and has had a lot of QoL fixes since launch, but again, mileage will vary

the_importer_
Feb 5, 2023, 10:27 PM
The Phantasy Star Fleet Discord seems to have a monopoly on the western PSO2 community from what I've seen since the Tweaker kinda points people there.....

Thank you very much for the answers, I may check it sometime this year (either before or way after Tears of the Kingdom).

Cheers

classicburger
Feb 11, 2023, 03:05 AM
The latest update really changed the game for me..

https://youtube.com/shorts/QDUcFdWbp58?feature=share

lostinseganet
Apr 13, 2023, 02:14 AM
I am glad that home building will come to Pso:Ngs. I hope VR comes to the game.

Edit:

Pros:
-I love the new creative space. moar sharing options.
- open world concept
- multiple coop options

Cons
- so much pay mechanics its dizzying
- so many menus its dizzying
-No remake of pso (dreamcast).. I wants it
- No twitch interactions like the cult of lamb game

Cyclon
Oct 23, 2023, 10:56 AM
... well. Two years have passed. I've given the thing a more... involved chance (aka I've played a month rather than a week). So, what gives ?
Who cares ?

So to sum up, my prievous grieviances went as follows :
- Boring core gameplay and simplistic gameplay loop
- Lack of content (that one was universal really)
- Not really feeling attached to the world at all.

... and I can say that two of those seem mostly resolved by now. While the game isn't overflowing with content exactly and it still can't hold a candle to it's predecessor or many contemporaries, well, there's enough still that it's... worth playing now. Like if someone were to ask me "should I give this a go", my answer has now changed from a resounding "No" to a "Sure". So that's good.

As far as feeling attached to the world, obviously we have Creative space now, and while it's not the most seamless base building I've seen, I assume few people have many problems with it. It's a genuinely nice sandbox with remarkably few limits, even for complete F2P players.
That's not all, though. Having more than one town also really helps, even though they're all fairly small. So yeah, I think this is largely solved as well.

And then, the gameplay, well, well, well...
... it's still bad. I'm sorry. It's better though ! But it's a genuine struggle to find a weapon I enjoy using, while in PSO2 I had a good 6 or 7, with a few more I didn't mind. Here I have Slayer and Partisan Hu, but both get repetitive very fast because they lack many interesting tools. I don't ultimately care much for the dual weaponry system, nor does it seem like the rest of the community does. It also feels like their excuse to keep the PA count low, with several being quite redundant still, somehow.
Anyway, to keep things... brisk(yeah right), I'll just list what I think is wrong in general.

- Automatic combos by keeping the button pushed, are bad. No one else does it. Even if you still disagree with me to this day that this game would be better with just attacks, surely we can see eye to eye on this. People who don't want to engage with the game and just look cool have a function for that, do not force this shit on the rest of your playerbase. If there's no feedback, if the player doesn't do anything, how do you expect them to care. The dps isn't even that bad, like, come on. Fortunately, new classes seem to be moving away from this. I think. But it needs to be removed everywhere.

- Photon dash should not remove your PP recovery. It is beyond me why this is a thing. Weaken it if it must, but there's no reason for this. Why punish your player for moving, or have them constantly begin new encounters with low PP, even if they've been running for a minute ?

- As a followup, dash attacks being one of your primary ways to recover PP and basically the same mid range swipe on every melee class is incredibly boring after a while. More creativity, please.

- Counter gameplay needs to be diminished. It is completely fine to have a few classes/weapons that focus on that, it's not like it's not fun. But ALL of them ? Give me some variety guys, jesus. How do you have ~15 gameplay styles and they all have the same game plan, what is wrong with you ?

- Give. classes. more. tools. How have we gotten one new photon art in two years, how can force classes have 2 technics by element, do you realize that's less than a third than the original game ?

As a whole, stop thinking that focusing on the casual, easy to play aspect of your game is a good idea. I'm not asking for Dante must Die here, but you're just hurting your player retention and the broad appeal of your product. As a community, beyond fashion, what are we to publicize if there's nothing cool to show other people ? The endgame being easy, while unfortunate, I can understand. But at least please make the core gameplay more interesting, you've literally done it already for the previous game, and it even worked better for you.

Nobody cares that your game can be played while watching TV. The numbers have spoken, your approach isn't working. So change it.

---

Now as for the gameplay loop complaint, it's not evolved much really(also I have limited experience with some specific content still). I will add that NGS does work as a... "daily game", at least. Which is not without merit. Overall I don't think it's great, but neither was PSO2's really. This... can stay, I guess. Whatever.

So game better, still not there yet for me, felt like writing about it. That'll be all, have a good one, everyone. If you're still around for some reason.

Shimapanzer
Jan 4, 2024, 10:20 PM
I would say overall the game is now on pace with PSO2's cadence. Updates are mostly weekly with *something* every week, be it a quest, event, scratch ticket, what have you. Bigger updates are 2 months apart usually, which is about the same pace as PSO2. Obviously the biggest pain point still is the combat lacking depth, which admittedly, in the new boss fights is being mitigated slightly by the bosses doing more than standing there and getting hit. Dark Falz Solus was a pretty big treat to progress through when it first came out, using a lot of the mechanics they first used in Dark Falz Aegis. Loot has gotten considerably better ever since Yoshioka left SEGA (sorry, people, Episode 6 was just as boring as NGS was.) and is being distributed better to not punish you for playing different content. Weapon potentials are getting *somewhat* more interesting, even if verschemlz is a total miss in terms of playability.. their current content methods seem like a healthy, stable flow of content for how they want to do things, with large bosses coming every few months and a new area every 6 months with micro-updates every week and rotating seasonal events.

ArcaneTechs
Jan 12, 2024, 09:47 PM
I would say overall the game is now on pace with PSO2's cadence. Updates are mostly weekly with *something* every week, be it a quest, event, scratch ticket, what have you. Bigger updates are 2 months apart usually, which is about the same pace as PSO2. Obviously the biggest pain point still is the combat lacking depth, which admittedly, in the new boss fights is being mitigated slightly by the bosses doing more than standing there and getting hit. Dark Falz Solus was a pretty big treat to progress through when it first came out, using a lot of the mechanics they first used in Dark Falz Aegis. Loot has gotten considerably better ever since Yoshioka left SEGA (sorry, people, Episode 6 was just as boring as NGS was.) and is being distributed better to not punish you for playing different content. Weapon potentials are getting *somewhat* more interesting, even if verschemlz is a total miss in terms of playability.. their current content methods seem like a healthy, stable flow of content for how they want to do things, with large bosses coming every few months and a new area every 6 months with micro-updates every week and rotating seasonal events.

YSOK is still part of the NGS team, what are you even talking about?

same director who almost killed PSO2 is still in charge of the same boring ass game since it's launch. The old saying about dropping NGS for a year and coming back to it to only be doing the same thing with a different coat of paint is still here. idc how much you guys wanna sugar coat farming w/e rando content in the game from purple trigs, luciel, starless etc for capsules, the game is still not fun let alone how bare bones the classes are still which even with the lazy PA craft customize coming back, it doesn't make the same 4 PA's and Techs anymore more fun.

anyways, back to waiting until the game gets good if ever, N-City or w/e its called thats being put in won't make the game super amazing either but its cool i guess we get to see the city thats been underground this whole time. either way, we're forced to way on the class updates over a year because sega just has to drag this kind of stuff out.

I still find it funny though the only people that defend this game are either long time players (like me) who can't let go (I barely login now), sunken cost/time fallacy, 1st PS game, shills etc. I really hate being negative about NGS because I want it to be better like the past titles but it's not showing since it released. Every video made about how bad NGS is and what its put out hits the truth super hard and its just crazy that you see people who cant accept this. I seriously hope NGS gets better, make me feel like logging in daily like I used to on PSU and PSO2 because I just don't get that same pull as those games, it's not even a nostalgic thing or w/e you wanna call it, it's just normal engagement and fun which there isnt a lot of that going on in NGS. I cant even be excited about this years 2024 Roadmap either

well im done screaming into the void, maybe the JP playerbase will finally kick sega's ass into gear since they barely taking any kind of feedback from Global serious enough given how past surveys have shown that Global seems to be ok with how the game is for some reason.

エリュシオン
Jan 18, 2024, 03:05 AM
YSOK is still part of the NGS team, what are you even talking about?

It was announced that YSOK had departed SEGA and is working now for MyDearest Inc. on their game; "Brazen Blaze". He was no longer mentioned as the lead Item Director as of the June 2023 credits (roboarks' blog post on it. https://pso2roboarks.jp/ngs/ysok)

My biggest complain was moving away from dungeon crawling which even if it got repetitive, having the tile set randomize at the very least forced you to be thinking where exits were and find layouts to best ぐるぐる in. PS was rooted in it and moving away from it I think was a big gamble that I personally don't think paid off. I believe they could do something like intermission areas between dungeons like PSU and use that to keep aspects of the open world, gather specific items or resupply and continue forwards or head back. Although I think I'd be the only one who thinks that'd be neat.

NGS is also in desperate need for new weapon categories. Can you believe the last time we had new weapons to go hunt and find out drop tables from pre-existing enemies was 3,430 days ago? In my opinion moving away from individual weapons to everything being a series kinda made things stale. No more getting a weapon and doing something stupid because of the potential it has creating a unique playstyle. Yes I know most of those were sub-optimal play but I literally made characters to play in unique ways for the fun of it.

Also NGS' marketing team is really lackluster. There's not much excitement for even big updates because of them just streamline showing everything like a generic update. It's always just "This is what's coming" or something like a short form video on a certain aspect of the update. While being great at just getting to the point, It loses a lot of personality. I miss how often they'd rise hype during early broadcasts, we don't really get stuff like the cinematic preview of major updates. Something like the preview of the last chapter of Ep3 and showing off Double and teasing we would be fighting the Profound Darkness or even the teaser for Mining Base Defense: Demise.

I'm just riding the wave at this point, I'm just going to keep my optimism for the devs to improve the game and make it something worth spending time on.

ArcaneTechs
Jan 21, 2024, 06:27 PM
It was announced that YSOK had departed SEGA and is working now for MyDearest Inc. on their game; "Brazen Blaze". He was no longer mentioned as the lead Item Director as of the June 2023 credits (roboarks' blog post on it. https://pso2roboarks.jp/ngs/ysok)
Now that you mention the credits, I wasn't sure how true that was when I first heard about it which is why I said he still had to be apart of the team. I haven't been to roboarks site in a long time either. sucks though since the current director is in charge forever at this point.

My biggest complain was moving away from dungeon crawling which even if it got repetitive, having the tile set randomize at the very least forced you to be thinking where exits were and find layouts to best ぐるぐる in. PS was rooted in it and moving away from it I think was a big gamble that I personally don't think paid off. I believe they could do something like intermission areas between dungeons like PSU and use that to keep aspects of the open world, gather specific items or resupply and continue forwards or head back. Although I think I'd be the only one who thinks that'd be neat.
You sort of still have this but with Luciel but I agree with you, the rooted game cycle was what made the older games fun, same with PSO2 and those should have remained while having the open world being an option. I don't feel like talking semantics about LQs if someone brings it up, they're not fun to run lol

NGS is also in desperate need for new weapon categories. Can you believe the last time we had new weapons to go hunt and find out drop tables from pre-existing enemies was 3,430 days ago? In my opinion moving away from individual weapons to everything being a series kinda made things stale. No more getting a weapon and doing something stupid because of the potential it has creating a unique playstyle. Yes I know most of those were sub-optimal play but I literally made characters to play in unique ways for the fun of it.
This choice as done to simplify the work flow, thats why none of the weapon series have any kind of unique flavor text per weapon or (at least from what I remember) the description of the series itself. We're forever stuck with generic text like "A weapon that's part of the Double Saber Category". idk when or if we'll ever get single weapons based off monster parts or unique weapons with different effects like we did in the old games again, just seems dead at this point for keep everything a part of a series which kinda sucks still. As much as I hate those because they're not optimal, I want those back because of designs they can have.

Also NGS' marketing team is really lackluster. There's not much excitement for even big updates because of them just streamline showing everything like a generic update. It's always just "This is what's coming" or something like a short form video on a certain aspect of the update. While being great at just getting to the point, It loses a lot of personality. I miss how often they'd rise hype during early broadcasts, we don't really get stuff like the cinematic preview of major updates. Something like the preview of the last chapter of Ep3 and showing off Double and teasing we would be fighting the Profound Darkness or even the teaser for Mining Base Defense: Demise.

I'm just riding the wave at this point, I'm just going to keep my optimism for the devs to improve the game and make it something worth spending time on.
Do you not remember that stream when Sakai basically called the playerbase a bunch of whiners? (something very similar to that at least) ya, ever since that happened back in like I think 2019? 2020? before NGS, they stuck to this stream format of no more Dev appearances and hosts to talk about the content. and well, this leads back to my complaint (or everyones), whats there to be excited for? another amazing seasonal LQ? more recolors for the SG scratch? re-runs of past scratches? dude we heckin added another Dread/Starless enemy/mob!! Heres a new 10* that you won't get!! New PA/Techs? Nope, you got enough. New Class skills? ya here you go but it won't really change up the class much. New roadmap with nothing exciting to keep you coming back? here you go! all so tiring man

Pelayo
Mar 10, 2024, 12:23 PM
Here goes my takes, if anyone is interested.

Pros:
The world looks amazing, characters, map, all looks very good to me. As a small con, I miss original PSO more serious tone in looks, everything is so "anime cute girls", we are very far from the space adventure we departed from many years ago.

Combat feels responsive and fast, I like how the engine manages things, feels confortable most of the time.

Most people say "to few tech", looking in base, most of the time we used the same ones anyway and most of them just bloated your tech list. Sure, there are situations when a very specific tech was useful but it was not that common, so this simplification if they expand tech customization for me is the way (and SEGA sure feels that way, watching what they keep doing).

Cons:
Drops suck, there is no benefit to grind something, because rewards will not drop, and if they drop you need a shitton of them, I don't feel like grind anything, cause it will ask too much time anyway.

Even if I enjoy things like tech slow numbers, combat feels to simple. You just either block or push one button. That will not improve if they add more techs, they need to add more mechanics to do stuff other than block/attack. I can do all combat braindead, even the "ultra hardcore endgame bosses".

Speaking of which, ultra bosses are not "hard", just require best augs in game, they are like a DPS check, that's all, it's still block/attack. I would like more lots of mechanics and stuff to learn for each boss and less strict timing to do the quest.

Enemies are copy paste, we have been fighiting the same enemies copy pasted since the begining of the game, they all do the same, and a big chunk of them is are just things to hit, almost no attacks to you, bad aiming, etc.

Content is always the same, every patch is like LTQ/event points/new weapon armors cycle. Special mention to weapons, in PSO, weapons felt like unique things, even on lower rarities they had their own thing that make them fun to use. Here all weapons feel almost the same, just more powerful or not. They could play with potentials a lot more to make weapons more unique to get, and that will make gear hunting a lot more fun, cause you can have them multiple weapons in the same current "gear level" to hunt and use.

Game is losing players at a rate, you can't even do a leciel anymore in group, it' just faster to go alone and do it if you want the quest. They should also remove that as a daily task and add it as a daily quest if you want to take it. But that also is a problems for things like LTQ.

Urgent quests freeze the game totally, even more if there is concert. If concert + quest happens, all matchmaking will be frozen for like 1h, because from the moment the concert is announced, people stop doing things and gather to make groups with alliances and just stay AFK until all the UQ starts.

You can't even move while matchmaking. You are forced to stay there while waiting, can't go do stuff while waiting. Can't use shop or ali menu while doing that too. Honestly I can't think of no other online game that is so inconvinient, there probably is but i don't know it.

And the list of minor inconvience is very large, I can't even think of all of them, there are things like small bugs not fixed since origin (like friend list in PQ, if you switch fast enough, you will see the list of rooms from other friends instead of the ones of the selected friend, but if you go to the room, you end up in the room of the selected one... almost always, but not always). Shop search still sucks and doesn't show all things and it's still a mess to search some things.