PDA

View Full Version : PSOX/GC side by side

rbf2000
May 4, 2003, 12:42 AM
I just got my copy of PSOX today, and thought I would do a little comparison.

Here is what my GC screens normally look like, keep in mind I adjust the (source) color becuase the screens are too dark otherwise.

http://mason.gmu.edu/~jfabian/PSOGC.jpg

With the same settings here is PSOX
http://mason.gmu.edu/~jfabian/PSOX.jpg

Obviously between these two the GC version looks better.

Now, if I go and change the color/contrast back to the default, it looks something like this:

http://mason.gmu.edu/~jfabian/PSOGC2.jpg
[GC]

and

http://mason.gmu.edu/~jfabian/PSOX2.jpg
[xbox]

Tough call. I think I'd have to give the edge to xbox, they really lightened up the game and it's a little bit sharper.

But I'm not exactly a videophile here...

The_Pew
May 4, 2003, 12:50 AM
i think your tv is screwd up.

RBF EDIT:Only advertise your site in your sig. This thread is NOT to become a console war, so watch yourself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rbf2000 on 2003-05-03 22:54 ]</font>

VulpesMundi
May 4, 2003, 01:30 AM
I really don't see a difference between the two other than brightness (which is easily manipulated with TV/monitor/PC controls). One thing I do like about the X-Box version is the HUD. The button actions (identical to the DC/PC versions) take up less space than on the GC version. It's something I've learned to deal with, but I would like it better if the HUD wouldn't take up so much of the screen (it'd be nice if you had a size option to shrink it or something, like the size used in multi-player mode). And I still think that with all the added buttons on the GC/XB consoles they could have at least added an L-trigger action set. Six button actions still seems a bit too limited.

ChristopherTime
May 4, 2003, 02:43 AM
Honestly, GCN PSO shouldn't be that dark, it certainly isn't for me.
And the brightness on my TV isn't up all that much. Eh.. Anyways..
Why compare them? They're one and the same game.

Captain_Dude
May 4, 2003, 02:56 AM
I'm startin' t'get irritate by the amount of PSOGCN and PSOX comparisons... Can't we just play the damn game?

I really think we're really just beating a dead horse with all this comparison nonsense... They're both great, and lets leave it at that!

Starseed
May 4, 2003, 09:35 AM
I have both versions, and I have only noticed small changes to Episode II. The water looks and moves differently from the GC. Other than that I find the versions identical.

RagMasterRappy
May 4, 2003, 09:50 AM
There's actually no difference graphically between the two versions. Maybe the XBOX defaults to brighter gamma settings, which is funny seeing how they're using an nVIDIA chipset. I also heard that telepipes look worse in the XBOX version. If that's true, I'm assuming that they removed the temporal distortion effect which could have been done through a hardware specific feature on the GC.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: RagMasterRappy on 2003-05-04 07:55 ]</font>

Saulot
May 4, 2003, 10:23 AM
I hate to get caught up in these type of discussions, but to be honest, the only difference I have seen from all my research between the 2 versions (as I am still trying to decide on which system I want to purchase first) is the control interface on the bottom right of the screen, and that according to the Rares Section here at PSO-World the GC version has maybe 1-2 more Rares (probably online only from my guess) than the Xbox version. All this aside from the fact that Xbox LIVE! has voice chat and is currently limited to US Residents only, the 2 versions are identical. The color difference is more than likely something screwy with your television/monitor display settings, as the gamma correction code is software based, not hardware based and both versions are made by the same development company, so I highly doubt they made the gamma display any different on the Xbox version than the GC version (all the screenshots I've seen look identical in brightness and contrast).

RagMasterRappy
May 4, 2003, 10:26 AM
On 2003-05-04 08:23, Saulot wrote:
as the gamma correction code is software base

Hardware

Saulot
May 4, 2003, 10:52 AM
The display settings are hardware, but the code to alter the gamma correction is built in to the software, which in turn affects the hardware settings while the game is in play (which is why some games are naturally darker than others like Resident Evil or Diablo for example).

Sedyne
May 4, 2003, 11:26 AM
sorry i made a stupid comment =O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: SeanX930 on 2003-05-04 09:27 ]</font>