PDA

View Full Version : GC: Confirmed: The US has 2 versions

Barubary6
May 5, 2003, 07:36 PM
Thanks to a friend of mine, I have now - finally - confirmed that there really are 2 versions of the American PSO out there. It had taken me so long to notice because the game is nearly identical - even most of the RAM addresses are the same.

It appears that the only difference between the new version and the old version is that the new version uses an updated version of the Internet libraries. They probably just fixed PPPoE.

The date on this version is December 2001.

-- Barubary

BeatZero
May 5, 2003, 08:38 PM
so the only difference is a PPoE fix? or have you not been able to confirm anything else?

RagMasterRappy
May 5, 2003, 08:53 PM
Oh wow. I think I'll just go to sleep now. Or maybe I'll do something productive.. Hmm, decisions..

PentUpAnger
May 5, 2003, 10:36 PM
Hmm... Yeah... When I contacted Sega about me not being able to get onto PSO with my ISP they took me through the same ol' BS they do with everyone.. They asked me if I had the phone line plugged into the GCN modem, asked me if I am sure I entered the DNS properly... etc... they told me to contact my ISP to verify the DNS and to ask if they use a firewall at the ISP office... then they said they would contact me in a week to see what I found out...

A week later the same Sega tech guy called me again asking the same questions and asking me if anything has changed... when I told him that I contacted my ISP and they said nothing is wrong on their end (which I really did not call them), the tech guy said that he would call back within 3 weeks... at this time it was already mid to late November, and I already was online using another ISP which I borrowed...

About the first week of December the same tech guy called again asking me if anything was different and I said no (even though I was still using my borrowed ISP and hadnt tried my original ISP again)... he then asked me if i would like to send in my GCN PSO in exchange for a newer GCN PSO that they redid the ISP DNS system on... he then told me I wouldnt lose my characters because the new disc would have my old access/serial on it.... I declined saying that if I sent it in I would die from not being able to play PSO for 2-3 weeks... he then gave me a number to call if I changed my mind...

I never called them to get a new disc...

I thought everyone knew about the new disc though... PSOW had several topics about it at the time... I think.... at least I read about them somewhere...

Captain_Dude
May 5, 2003, 11:47 PM
May not be the biggest thing I've heard lately... But it's still news...

Barubary6
May 6, 2003, 12:31 AM
Yeah, this isn't really news, but more of an independent confirmation that it's true.

-- Barubary

Captain_Dude
May 6, 2003, 12:35 AM
On 2003-05-05 22:31, Barubary6 wrote:
Yeah, this isn't really news, but more of an independent confirmation that it's true.

-- Barubary

Better than another Falz-related question...

EDIT: Also not looking forward to ANOTHER thread about Ep 3...

EDIT again: Or another Ragol is/isn't earth conversation...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-05-05 22:55 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Captain_Dude on 2003-05-05 22:58 ]</font>

Rork
May 6, 2003, 06:13 AM
If there are 2 psos, than whats the other one look like? is it the same game?

Jack
May 6, 2003, 07:26 AM
It's exactly the same, but with better netcode. Everything is exactly the same, otherwise. The model number on the discs might be DOL-GPOP-USA (-01) rather than DOL-GPOP-USA though. Can someone check the disc for me? If you're having problems with the game, it might be wise to buy another copy, swap the discs over and return the old one to the store.

Davka
May 6, 2003, 10:29 AM
I should have never broken that first disc http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif. Oh well, dsl today =D.

Saulot
May 6, 2003, 11:36 AM
On 2003-05-05 20:36, PentUpAnger wrote:
Hmm... Yeah... When I contacted Sega about me not being able to get onto PSO with my ISP they took me through the same ol' BS they do with everyone.. They asked me if I had the phone line plugged into the GCN modem, asked me if I am sure I entered the DNS properly... etc... they told me to contact my ISP to verify the DNS and to ask if they use a firewall at the ISP office... then they said they would contact me in a week to see what I found out...

A week later the same Sega tech guy called me again asking the same questions and asking me if anything has changed... when I told him that I contacted my ISP and they said nothing is wrong on their end (which I really did not call them), the tech guy said that he would call back within 3 weeks... at this time it was already mid to late November, and I already was online using another ISP which I borrowed...

About the first week of December the same tech guy called again asking me if anything was different and I said no (even though I was still using my borrowed ISP and hadnt tried my original ISP again)... he then asked me if i would like to send in my GCN PSO in exchange for a newer GCN PSO that they redid the ISP DNS system on... he then told me I wouldnt lose my characters because the new disc would have my old access/serial on it.... I declined saying that if I sent it in I would die from not being able to play PSO for 2-3 weeks... he then gave me a number to call if I changed my mind...

I never called them to get a new disc...

I thought everyone knew about the new disc though... PSOW had several topics about it at the time... I think.... at least I read about them somewhere...

Those are just standard Tech questions. You'd actually be surprised at how the stupidest thing can be the answer in most cases. I've had a personal experience before where me and my co-worker could not do any work on a web-site we were supposed to be working on because the web server at the hosting facility was down and we could do nothing but sit on out duffs and play video games for almost 2 days. It took that hosting facility almost 48 hours to figure out that the reason the server was offline was because some moron had unplugged the CAT-5/RJ-45 network extension cable from the back of the server.

On the bright side however at least Sega called you back. They would of never done that in the DC days; I would have to actually take names of the techs I talked to back then and call back myself.

Castoth
May 6, 2003, 02:58 PM
Ah, it makes sense. Back when I bought the game in February, was worried about PPPoE-related issues but surprisingly, none happened. It worked just fine.