PDA

View Full Version : What a let-down

s3rial_one
May 8, 2003, 02:15 PM
...I've been running the Forest of Sorrow quests like a man posessed for the past couple days because I wanted to pick up a few God/Battles to use as trading fodder.

Well, I've now done Forest of Sorrow 38 times in a row with no God/Battle, but I did just run into a Hildetorr...

At first, I didn't even realize it. Forest of Sorrow runs are so formulaic at this point that I don't even think, I just do.

You see, I'm using a spread needle, and usually, to deal with hildelts, I drop an ice trap, shoot it to freeze them, then do a weak-weak-special attack, which will paralyze them. Then, strong-strong-strong, strong-strong special to paralyze them again, then 2 or 3 more strong-strong-strong combos to kill them. Save that this one didn't die...

And I'm wondering: what the hell? Why is that thing still wailing on my idiot NPC teammate? Then I glanced down at the name: Hildetorr.

I swear my heart must've skipped a beat, as in all my time playing (DC, Gamecube, etc), I've NEVER seen one of those damned things. Then, I think it skipped 10 more when I remember they drop the Stone of Iritista!

...but, of course not. Just as I was realizing all that, it dropped dead... freaking meseta.

What a let-down. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Dhylec
May 8, 2003, 02:45 PM
lol funny story man.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif
too bad, better luck next time..

LatchKeyKid
May 8, 2003, 07:50 PM
Of all the times ive ever seen rare enemies, I think ive actually gotten 3 or 4 rares from them. Flame Visit from a red slime in the DC, Red Scorpio from a Pal Rappy on GC, Devil/Battle from a nar lilly on GC, and yesterday, I saw not 1, but 2 Mil Lillies in the same run (XB). The first dropped a God/Power. The second one followed usual form and dropped..... an antidote...

Topazfalcon
May 8, 2003, 08:10 PM
I can't even count now how many times I have done fake in yellow trying to find an angel harp. All I know is I have seen 5 rare rappys... and still no angel harp http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif

SubstanceD
May 9, 2003, 02:22 AM
My story is not as bad as yours but it does serve as a reminder that somtimes this game can be generous with the Rare item drops and somtimes it can be cruel.

I recently beat hard difficulty episode 1 and started doing Very Hard Episode 1 Forest runs in hope of gaining a few levels and getting a couple of rares ( actually I am speciffically looking for a Dragon Slayer and a Yamato ) however after numerous runs I have not got either weapon. It would not be so bad if it weren't for the fact that I was spoiled back on Hard Difficulty because everytime I did a run through a level I would get at least 1 rare ( almost always a DB sabre or a Flowen Sword ), to add insult to injury so many people seem to find Yamato's and Dragon Slayers and as such they arn't excatly uber rares and yet I apparently am not destined to get either. I am currently taking a sabatical from PSO ( at leat untill I beat WindWaker ) so it will be at least another week or two before I play this game again but hopefully my luck will improve for when I return, I refuse to play any other levels untill I get what I am looking for, it's a matter of principal.

Jack
May 9, 2003, 02:45 AM
I did see a Hildeblue once. Instead of "omfg, hildeblue head!!!!1111", it turned out to be "omfg, meseta!!!!111". Ah, the vagaries of the item drop system.

I fought my first hildetorr yesterday and must have been lucky because he dropped a frozen shooter. racaseal , whitill , Heatsword Quest on ultimate, you know right near the boss tp and all those hildes pop up. Its probably the easiest place to get to with a high percent chance of finding a rare. I couldnt believe my eyes when I found an actual legit Frozen Shooter.

s3rial_one
May 9, 2003, 05:26 PM
Here's what really blows my mind...

I've been doing quite a bit of the Fake in Yellow quest, too.

According to the redria drop tables, God/Battle, which drops from Hildelts, has the same drop rate as the Red Handgun, which drops from rare Pal Rappies.

I've done the Forest of Sorrow quest MANY more times than the Fake in Yellow, but I've got 5 Red Handguns; no God/Battle. I've only even seen 6 Pal Rappies, but I've killed hundreds of Hildelts...

*boggle*

Reenee
May 9, 2003, 05:32 PM
38? Buddy, I've done it 70 times, and regardless of the mass abundances of Tollaws, they just won't drop the damn Lavis Cannon! I got duped thrice due to a stupid Photon Drop.

Joe-Azlin
May 9, 2003, 06:20 PM
Wow i still havent found a good rare enemy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif My first one was in normal and it was an al rappy so he dropped like an antidote or something. Oh well i will keep on looking.

mightyJoeDunn
May 9, 2003, 06:37 PM
I must be lucky. On hard I see hildeblue, drops Elysion. Find another hildeblue on vhard, drops an Elysion again. Find a Al Rappy on vhard, drops a Justy. Find a Pal Rappy on Ultimate, drops a Guard Wave. So far every rare enemy I have seen not including on normal has dropped a rare. I have found 3 nar lillys and 2 red slimes on normal, but since it is normal no rares.

AzureBlaze
May 9, 2003, 11:24 PM
Hildetorrs=Letdowns
Man, I have seen 3 of these lame things, and two of them dropped an antidote, the other dropped meseta. I am from bluefull, and I'm not sure what they are supposed to give, but that isn't it. I wasn't actually hunting/piping for them when I saw them, but after this experiance, I don't think I'd bother. I hope you have better luck though, and it finally drops what it's supposed to.

Raziel_Kai
May 10, 2003, 01:07 AM
The only time I've seen a rare monster and it drops: NOTHING!!!!

The monster: Pouilly slime (ya know... the red slime, don't know if I spelled it right http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif )