PDA

View Full Version : What the phuck!!!

Scoobs
Mar 10, 2001, 07:48 PM
jees, what is with all the duping etc...

i thought that having an online rpg on the console was the the thing ever...

no pc proformance woes etc...

but most of all no hacking...

yet its happned...pso is still the greatest game ever...but how the hell do u hack a console game??...and did sega check all the hacking oppourtunities etc??

could someone fill me in plzzzzzzzzzz.....

Zephyr
Mar 10, 2001, 08:08 PM
Well... here's what I've heard. First, to keep the game relatively lag free, almost everything is done client side in this game... so instead of the server deciding if you got a hit or how much damage you did or whatever it all happens on your end. In a PC online game this would be really stupid because there are a lot of memory editors available for the PC like softice... where for example you look at your HP's and do a search with the memory editing software for that value... get hurt a little and do a search again... and keep narrowing it down until you have the offset in memory for the location of the hp's variable. Then you can easily do stupid things like lock your hp's permanantly at a value or change it to whatever you like.

On the consoles, memory modification devices like the gameshark do exacactly the same thing. You take a code (I assume it's the offset of the location of a variable in the consoles ram) and enter it in and you can do pretty much anything. There are codes for leveling up your mag, freezing your TP, or dropping an item and having a second copy stay in you inventory...

And that's basically my understanding of the whole thing... supposedly there are other ways of cheating like altering vmu saves and using a developer's serial cable to edit the games memory from a PC...

disclaimer - I haven't actually tried any of these things so my understanding may be somewhat flawed. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_eek.gif

Phantasmal
Mar 11, 2001, 04:01 AM
Scoobs..

No company/government agency/corporation EVER can check every hacking opertunity. That's primarily what hacking is (the remodification of code).

Obviously Sega didn't even take into consideration the gameshark and online play until it was too late. And it seems that the situation has only become worse as the duplication techniques evolve from cheap "turn off/turn on Dreamcast" tricks, to Hex editing techniques....

The more walls you build, the more people will want to break them down...