PDA

View Full Version : TFLO Vs. PSO

GuerillaPimp
May 12, 2003, 09:06 AM
Now that True Fantasy Live Online has been officially announced for the US, (big surprise there) Anyone else think this may be the potential PSO killer, especially now that Ep. III is now going to be a turn-based card game?

TerribleDeliMeat
May 12, 2003, 09:57 AM
Potential my ass

Its already drove the stake of pathetic through PSO's heart.

Let's take a look

A sloppy port of a 3 year old Dreamcast game [which wasn't all that great the first time around]

A completely new game created by Level 5.

A world which consists of eight stages, again and again.

A persistant online world - enough said.

Even the game requires a higher fee than PSO, I'll be there with bells on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TerribleDeliMeat on 2003-05-12 07:58 ]</font>

Omni-SqwirL
May 12, 2003, 10:04 AM
As much as I am obsessed with PSO, I would love a game to be better than it. But I don't think TFLO will do it for me.

polishedweasel
May 12, 2003, 11:26 AM
I havn't seen this TFLO. Does anyone have a link that I can see this game that will "replace" my life? I'm curious.

Foggy_Pete
May 12, 2003, 11:31 AM
indeed a link for comparison would have helped. PSO is slowly being replaced by my actual social life, and thats just not good :/

Atax
May 12, 2003, 01:18 PM
Gamespot:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/rpg/truefantasyliveonline/index.html

IGN:

http://xbox.ign.com/objects/489/489459.html

MilkManX
May 12, 2003, 02:36 PM
I will probably jump over. By the time we get it here PSO will be so ootplayed by me(DC,GCN and now PSOX) that I will need something totally new.

GuerillaPimp
May 12, 2003, 03:46 PM
Doh, yea i guess i should have put up some pics. Anyway there is a trailer Here (http://www.teamxbox.com/gameinfo.php?id=477). And the official site is here (http://www.xbox.com/jp/games/tflo/)
Note that the official site IS in japanese. I tried putting it throuh Babel to no avail. But there are about a dozen screenshots in the middle of the page

Ness
May 12, 2003, 05:49 PM
On 2003-05-12 07:57, TerribleDeliMeat wrote:
Potential my ass

Its already drove the stake of pathetic through PSO's heart.

Let's take a look

A sloppy port of a 3 year old Dreamcast game [which wasn't all that great the first time around]

A completely new game created by Level 5.

A world which consists of eight stages, again and again.

A persistant online world - enough said.

Even the game requires a higher fee than PSO, I'll be there with bells on.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TerribleDeliMeat on 2003-05-12 07:58 ]</font>

I dopn't think we have to pay for it. It is using Xbox live servers after all.

CajunSamurai
May 12, 2003, 08:45 PM
Yeah, but even PSO has a monthly fee and that's not even massively multiplayer.

TFLO has looked awesome to me since I first saw it, really... The funky-fresh character designs alone. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif
I'll be there.

GuerillaPimp
May 12, 2003, 10:02 PM
Well i just actually watched the trailer. One word - WOW!!! Even tho they say "work in progress" it just LOOKS better than PSO. You can even customize the girl's rack! But seriously, anyone else notice that the characters were using text bubbles?? I thought all games would use voice chat and not keyboards??

Captain_Dude
May 12, 2003, 11:55 PM
The games are pretty different... I'll probably end up playing both...

Now, if I could just stop sleeping and PLAY PSO for once... heh... stupid sleep!

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:12 AM
That game looks cool, and I'm normally not picky on graphics but... Am I the only one who doesn't like the way humans and animals are made from Cell Shading?

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:17 AM
On 2003-05-13 01:12, Orange_Coconut wrote:
That game looks cool, and I'm normally not picky on graphics but... Am I the only one who doesn't like the way humans and animals are made from Cell Shading?

Cel Shading's the big thing in games right now. If a company decides to cel chade, then by golly ther gonna cel shade!

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:20 AM
Aww phooey ._.

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:26 AM
On 2003-05-13 01:20, Orange_Coconut wrote:
Aww phooey ._.

I know, I really dislike cel shaded games... I nearly lost my lunch trying to play Jet Set Radio Future (which I found to be a really bad game anyway, so it was no loss)... But hey, it might be funny seeing horrid internet scum incranated in cute, cel shaded, anime-style characters...

I've always pictured people like Kuntar or the Grim Raper in something cel shaded... or perhaps I haven't... who cares anymore?

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:29 AM
Heh... I remember my friend showing me the new Zelda game and he wanted to show me the battle against Gannondorf... Oh man, his expression was the FUNNIEST thing I had ever seen.

He looked like he has just got kicked in the nuts with an iron shoe! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:37 AM
Ok...

I still think whoever decided to do WindWaker with cel shaded cartoony graphics must've lost their marbles...

And unless I'm mistaken, WindWaker does not actually feature the title character... Zelda may exist somewhere, but has no part in the story... Am I right? Because if so I'm going to hate nintendo for not just entitling that game something like "The Legend of Link: WindWaker". Just because it's a sequal doesn't mean it can lack the frigging title character!

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:38 AM
Yeah, I'm somewhat disappointed in what I have seen, my friend loves it with all his heart though... I remember he was off PSO just to fight enemies AFTER beating the whole entire game. :/

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:42 AM
Ask your friend if Zelda actually has anything to do with the game, I'm really interested in knowing if Nintendo made a game lacking the title character...

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:45 AM
Well, he lent it to me and so far Zelda does have a bit to do with the story. She's got something on her hand that Gannondorf needs to unseal the power of the Triforce I believe.

My friend would know more, I probably should ask him. Kinda late to do that now though ^_^;;

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:48 AM
Heh, I'm not asking you to do it now. I'd just like to know some time, because I have no plans on getting a gamecube any time soon, so I'll doubt I'll ever play it... But I would think a game entitled "The Legend of Zelda" SHOULD revolve around Zelda, and NOT Link's little sister... Silly Nintendo...

Orange_Coconut
May 13, 2003, 03:52 AM
Oh, Yeah... When I heard about Link's little sister I was a bit eh... Y'know? Well the thing is in the beginning it turns out you need to rescue her because she's mistaken for Zelda. Zelda herself, she actually helps you in the final battle. She is seen a lot throughout the game, but in disguise (Like Sheik... In a weird... Twisted way). For some reason she's a pirate...

I know that the Master Sword is there, as always, but this time you actually get to meet the King of Hyrule (I can't remember if you did in any other Zelda). But it's weird. Anywho... I oughtta get going... But if you need information I'll see what I can gather for tomorrow.

Captain_Dude
May 13, 2003, 03:56 AM
I don't need much information, other than that little tidbit of info about Zelda... Other than that... uh... whatever it is that I want to say here...

NekoHikari
May 13, 2003, 04:07 AM
Zelda is one of the main characters of Windwaker. You'd have to play it to find out. Windwaker is one of the best games ever made- I find myself feeling pity for someone like you who hasn't gotten around to play it yet. It's a shame, really...

Anyway, TFLO is going to blow PSO out of the water.

Kent
May 13, 2003, 04:13 AM
You people are forgetting that True Fantasy Live Online and PSO are completely different game genres...

And besides, how much do we really know about this game anyway? We've got very little information about the game as of yet, so it's really too early to judge.

GuerillaPimp
May 13, 2003, 06:39 AM
You people are forgetting that True Fantasy Live Online and PSO are completely different game genres...

Point taken. But then again TFLO could be what we all wanted PSO to be. More indept character customization, larger parties, possibly a better story line, riding animals/pets and so forth. Most of us have been walking around the same Forest for the past 2 or 3 years! Dont you think its time for something new??

And besides, how much do we really know about this game anyway? We've got very little information about the game as of yet, so it's really too early to judge.

True, weve only seen a handful of screenshots, a trailer or two and some "official" press releases, but you still cant help but notice that it has more than a chance to dethrone PSO as a social life killer

Kent
May 13, 2003, 08:04 AM
EverQuest is more of a social life killer than PSO ever was.

I do agree that the game has potential, especially since we know it's being developed by the same people that made Dark Cloud 2, but it's really not wise to judge something before experiencing it yourself.

GuerillaPimp
May 21, 2003, 10:15 PM
For those that are interested, IGN (http://xbox.ign.com/articles/409/409620p1.html) has a minor update on some of the mechanics on TFLO...just wanted to keep you posted...

Captain_Dude
May 21, 2003, 10:19 PM
Has anyone confirmed if it's using a speech-to-text program? Because I know there's some buzz about something like that...

I really wanna see if my Khoomei can make my Xbox explode...

Mazarin
May 21, 2003, 10:25 PM
Yeah, I need something new.

I await TFLO.

GuerillaPimp
May 22, 2003, 06:30 AM
No confirmation as to whether or not it will be voice only or support text also like PSO. But do note that in the trailer, that the characters are using voice bubbles when communicating...

Malkavian
May 22, 2003, 12:16 PM
I still don't know much about TFLO. But to me it looks like Everquest with japanese graphic style and for console market. And that means BIG CRAP. But until it comes out it can surprise me.

Anyways I think is nearly impossible it catches PSO.

First of all don't compare sonic team vs level 5. ST are awesomely better programmers with more much experience, creativity and genius.

PSO Episode 1&2 is a very perfectionated game with over 4 years of development counting is the evolution of PSO. TFLO will have around 2 years only. So probably all the game will be less planned and have worse gameplay, less stuff.

Then... surely it wont have text chat... online RPG without text chat... voice works well in action games and that but for RPG, chat at least both ways are needed.

One great thing TFLO has is that is NEW! We played pso for zillion hours and sure a new thing can appeal us more even if its worse.

And well I repeat, i dont know much about TFLO, it could be a blast when it comes out and then level 5, revealtion programmer team of the year.

Alielle
May 22, 2003, 03:17 PM
Meh, I watched the vid and I'm not blown away or anything. Sure, it looks pretty, but it also seems like yet another point-and-click style MMO. I don't think this has a chance of beating PSO as far as gameplay goes, and that's always the deciding factor for me. We'll see, though.