PDA

View Full Version : FSOD and being very careful

klepto
May 14, 2003, 08:15 PM
Now I'm going online very soon. I heard of FSOD and corruption every day on this board a ton. Im a very careful person by nature. I always double check everything etc.. But my question is, how likely is it I will corupt when I get online, and what are the specific types of corruption, and when/in what situations do they occur. Because looking at the boards, I see that alot of people have corrupted in some way/lost items, and I know I would be devastated If it happened to me.

Dime
May 14, 2003, 08:21 PM
The only tips I can provide are to use a Nintendo 251 memory card, joining games from the 2nd lobby if the first is crowded, and staying clear of overpopulated areas such as Vega.

Other than that, just play it safe and for the most part you will be fine.

klepto
May 14, 2003, 08:22 PM
How bout the official memory card 59 or 51 (I forgot)

And what exactly do you mean by joining the second lobby, I thought there were 15?

klepto
May 14, 2003, 08:24 PM
Also, what ship is the least crowded, I think ill go in that one.

Gray4
May 14, 2003, 09:08 PM
Well, weird thing is , all my FSOD's have occured on Antares, not once on VEGA. Luck (bad) i suppose. Anyhoo my experiences are do not drop alot of stuff from your inventory ,or do something like exit and leave bank or shops over and over in rapid succesion, as the game saves every time you do anything like this online. This is where things can go screwy.

I've got FSOD 5 times, 4 in lobby or joining a game in the lobby where everything was fine after resetting (ie no item lost), but i also got buzzing FSOD in game once where i did lose my unequipped frozen shooter and hit vulcans.

The situation was the middle of a heavy fire-fight where there was some degree of lag, and i came across a good tech disk on the ground. My inventory was full so i quickly dropped an item to go pick it up, and bang buzzing FSOD. So i assume its some sort of combo of the game quick saving , while lagged or some such thing..

Anyhoo your best defence is a USB memory card so you can back up your characters to your PC every so often (or after every time you play if your really paranoid.)

rena-ko
May 15, 2003, 04:24 AM
hm... never join games from the 1st lobby - choose a later one. especially for challenge mode where your status doesnt get saved when you leave an accomplished game, its essentiall to not freeze on the way out.

never use the 'meet user' option without care when you found someone of your guildcardfriends when you had a game before. (when you freshly came online just now, this is save, but once you entered a game and you freeze, you'll lose all unequipped stuff you had unequipped when you saved the last time.)

there are ways to avoid lobby FSODs but i dont think of a way to avoid ingame FSODs - just a tip:
never carry more than one precious item with you and/or have the one you like most equipped when you use teleporters and pipes (not green warps, warps are ok, since they dont load a different area while you warp).

i didn't had an FSOD for weeks now, it slightly got better - either they improved the servers (more RAM maybe?) or its because i dont play for hours online every day anymore like i used to when i freshly bought the game and had lecturefree time at uni.

RuneScapeMan
May 15, 2003, 04:38 AM
I guess that dubhe is the least crowded one...
Only like 6 users there...
But I recomend to go on a bit more crowded ships anyway...
Cuz If you go on Dubhe, you whon't get any team mates...

prismsub5
May 15, 2003, 07:37 AM
If u get FSOD, does it help if u turn on auto disconnect?

Frozencookies
May 15, 2003, 09:49 AM
I never even thought of that. I don't think it would work, though. The whole game gets frozen as well as your screen, or at least I would think so. But yea, you could probably try that, I know I will. Makes ya think...

Chris_Soul
May 15, 2003, 01:09 PM
from my experiences, it doesnt matter where or what you are doing for an FSOd to happen. it sux (twice in the middle of a trade, once when it was saving a guild card, and a hell of alot of times when im leaving a game). luckily i almost always just loose my normal stuff (that you can buy in the shops like mates and fluids) but everyone has their off days http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif anyways, i havent had any trouble using the meet user options and such witht he guild cards, but that doesnt mean that it cant happen. as for witht the auto disconnect, no it doesnt work (let the FSOD go for 2 hours and it never auto disconnected) there are some rare occasions where ill get FSODed and i wont loose anythign and i still cant figure that out. as for the corruption, i havent gottin corrupted yet (knock on wood) so i dont know what happens or how it happens

LittleMissHoney
May 15, 2003, 02:02 PM
As for corruption im afraid it seems it can happen at any time. I bought a GC just to play PSO after owning on the DC and only being able to get episode 1 in the UK. Met a few people that said that they were corrupted but always thought they were just on the blag for free stuff tbh. I got FSOD a couple of times and seemed to save all by just pulling out the network cable until 1 dark day...........

"Your files are corrupted and have to delete". Nooooooooooo I cired as my lvl 132 FO dissapeared before my eyes http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif since then its wait for PSOX to come out in the UK, only 8 days to go http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

LadyRedComet
May 15, 2003, 02:14 PM
I have a question: do you guys always lose your unequipped items when you fsod? It happened to me once, only I didn't lose anything out of my inventory, not even mates and fluids. Just wondering if that's happened to anybody else...

LittleMissHoney
May 15, 2003, 04:52 PM
The first time I lost nothing, second and third I lost all my unequipped, just like you used to on the DC, forth was the disaster. Nothing different seemed to happen on the forth time compared to the rest except I lost everything http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

klepto
May 15, 2003, 08:52 PM
What do I do when FSOD happens to me, are their any ways during the process that i can disconnect something, or reset, and my items will at least have a chance?

Kidzukai00
May 15, 2003, 10:14 PM
All I do is push Reset twice and then the Power button... really fast after it happens. More often then not I don't lose much, but maybe it's just my luck. Try it out sometime.

Webapprentice
May 16, 2003, 10:53 AM
If you haven't joined a game at all during your session, then when the FSOD happens, you don't lose anything, despite the message the game gives.

If you have been in a game during the session, you will lose uneqipped items.

dropslash
May 16, 2003, 04:27 PM
i FSOD'd twice in one morning, both times taking the teleporter between F1 & F2. Both times losing anything i didn't have equipped. Sucks, bad. I'm a bit more careful about what i take with me now.