those of you who have played a great deal
of pso have probably formed a few theories on
the issue of rares and their frequency and or
conditions of finding them

as for me i believe that it may have to do with
your lv and section id combined
perhaps a particular section can be eligable to
recieve a special item based on character stats

i do not believe however that u can find more rares by joining a game created by a higher lv character

what do u guys think?

Glider
Mar 11, 2001, 02:16 AM
I don't belive the higher level theroy. At level 93 I still don't find much. Section ID's do play a big role thougth. Im Whitell and find a lot of God/Arms, and Cestial Shields(these are from games that I have made). I've never found a god/power or any defensive slot thing.

Aylia
Mar 11, 2001, 04:18 AM
Hmm.. maybe you are right about the lvl and section ID combination cause here are a couple incidents that happened to me. I have a level 100 char that finds practically nothing in rares. But, about 10 levels ago or so, I went into the VHard forest 1 and found Hunters Field, after beating it (didn't level up) I reset my system and went through it a second time and found ANOTHER Hunters Field from the exact same area from the exact same monster. I haven't found another Hunters Field from that character since.

Another incident happened to me last night actually. A different character went through VHard Forest 1 (this one's level was low 50s) and found 2 rares in Forest one, (again no leveling) both of them turned out to be Brave Knuckles. I haven't played with this character much in VHard so I don't know if Brave Knuckle are a popular commodity for it's section id.

As far as I know this theory can hold true. Not saying higher levels yield better weapons but level may be a factor in finding rares.

Glider
Mar 11, 2001, 04:33 AM
Was the character that found the knuckles ID Purple?

Aylia
Mar 11, 2001, 05:07 AM
Yup

Lord_Ariakas
Mar 11, 2001, 06:47 AM
I don't think finding rares has anything to do with your level based on my experience. I found most of my good to ultra rares on hard difficulty between level 40 and 60. But, I do have a theory about how items are generated in pso (feel free to poke holes in it).

When you first host an online game or start a offline game, all the items in the every area(forest, caves, mines, ruins) are pre-generated based on your sectionID, total time played, and a random seed generated by the DC clock. This random seed is why you'll occasionally find the same rare twice in a row if you restart and do the same area over again. If you restart within a small period of time the DC clock will generate a similar random seed therefore you may find the same rares in the exact same spot. I dunno if the total time played thing is true, but the longer you play the better things you seem to find....although by reading some threads(such as danger_girl's thread) this is not true for some of you.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Lord_Ariakas on 2001-03-11 03:50 ]</font>

Lucidservant
Mar 11, 2001, 08:39 AM
Werd. I have only found brave knuckles with my 47 Viridia ID. My lvl 43 Redria, however, finds a mass of goodies. He may even make it to 100 first.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif I have 5 characters, the most productive is Redria. My 2 cents.

Kenny
Mar 11, 2001, 10:41 AM
Finding rares is all about your luck stat. The higher that is the more chance of finding a rare.

purhaze
Mar 11, 2001, 11:07 AM
you luck stat has nothing to do with finding rares, luck is for critical hits, from what ive experienced

Seutekh
Mar 11, 2001, 12:22 PM
Sorry, Kenny... you've got the luck stat thing a bit off...

Luck deals only with critical hits and how often the special effects of Techniques and weapons happen. (paralysis for zonde, freeze for barta, etc)

I've got a 41 for luck, and I find jack... I know people with luck much higher than mine who also find very little. If only that was true...

Lord_Ariakas
Mar 11, 2001, 03:39 PM
Yep luck has nothing to do with it. I have 92 luck (without god/abilities!!) and haven't noticed any increase in decent rares.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Lord_Ariakas on 2001-03-11 12:41 ]</font>

neobashi
Mar 11, 2001, 03:43 PM
Ok everyone this is my therory on this I have heard from many that finding rares is a time based thing + luck based + secID based all three put together thats y u see so many forces with weapons becausewhen they have wands or staffs on it incresses theyre luck+ when u have played for more time more rares pop up. And i believe it is the person who see the rare first that decidces which one it is soo like if a person with luck 90 see's the item beefore some lvl 23 luck the luck 90 character will have a better chance of makeing it a very rare item.