PDA

View Full Version : Help prove/disprove the Beat Theory

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 07:56 AM
HELP PROVE THE BEAT THEORY

The Beat Theory has been disputed for quite some time now. Does Beat time really affect how many rares you can find? Thats what we aim to find out.

All you have to do is record EVERY rare item you find. By rare, I mean everything in a red box. So, special wepons, photon drops etc. Record these in a table. You need to note the Beat time, the rare you found, the location and the difficulty you were playing on.

Then send them to me in an email which contains details of your character:- Name, Section ID, Class.

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP

Hopefully, soon we will be able to prove or dispove this theory and settle many arguments.

Please email all your information to:
[email protected]

jt
May 17, 2003, 08:41 AM
i agree, because i have noticed that each section id has a certain "hot time" or a time in which they are able to find rares the best. My theory is that when u have ur "hot time" your luck is divided by 3 and rounded down to the nearest five. ig i found a varista and fire scepter in the forest yesterday in the same room.

Another example would be that this would be an easy way for the creators to make their "code" for finding rares. THese are wat play a major roll in finding rares in my opinion

Section ID
Total Time
Beat Time
Area
Monster
Difficulty
Luck

i hope that helps and all this info comes from the xbox version

[s] lvl 74 FOnewm Kali (shiphopper) Do really wish to see the power of a legit Force...

Elvendar
May 17, 2003, 09:51 AM
Hate to burst your bubble, but the 'beat theory' as you call it has been proven wrong numerous times.

Also, luck has nothing to do with finding rares. It only affects criticals.

Reenee
May 17, 2003, 10:00 AM
On 2003-05-17 07:51, Elvendar wrote:

Also, luck has nothing to do with finding rares. It only affects criticals.

Lessee...Level 117 HUcaseal.

Never used a Luck Material...

And she's found Red Daggers, Graviton Plate, Dragon's Claw, Sange, countless Dragon Slayers and Last Survivors, God/Arm...

Yea, LCK has nothing to do with rares.

CakeMan
May 17, 2003, 10:19 AM
BEATS do affect rares drop

WHITILL
100-300 beats
Rappy's fan
Agito
Club of laconium
Boomas arm
LIKE 10 MATS
LIKE 3 DIGRINDERS

in one run

300 beats and up

NOTHING

Blue-Hawk
May 17, 2003, 11:01 AM
*sigh* i will say this and vulpus mundie will reitterate as well- beat time has nothing to do with finding rares. beat time is set to your gc/xbox internal clock. if it were beat time, then we could all just go in and set the time in our clocks to the same times. therefore allowing us to find everything in the game as per id and eliminating the need for duping.

Logical2u
May 17, 2003, 11:23 AM
Actually, this website http://psoz.myqto.com/display.php?file=guide01 is a Dreamcast guide explaining rare drops. While certain times may be 'Luckier'for you, it all follows a random algorihim. Just becaue I play at 5am central time doesn't mean I get lots of rares... well, actually I do so I don't know what to do. I think the Algorithim is actually spread over the ENTIRE server so that everyone follows the SAME algorithim. So whenever you are picking up a Redria Only Normal, someone else is picking up a Guilty Light...
Maybe....

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 11:41 AM
I think the replies already to this topic have proved my a part of my point - some people believe and some people do not. I'm not saying that I thinkthat Beats do affect drops, I just want to clear up the situation. This topic was only posted a couple of hours ago and already there are many conflicting views about the theory. But CakeMan, can you PROVE, I mean solid 100% evidence, that Beat time does not affect drops?? I dont think so. So I hope my growing team's work will help to solve these arguments one way or another...
I would just like to say that I am on neither side of the argument - I neither believe or do not - I simply find it interesting and want to research it. So please do not post saying that my idea is stupid, because it is not...

Neoluke12
May 17, 2003, 12:20 PM
Well believe it or not I was wandering around caves 2 or 3 on hard, Cant remember exactley then BAM. I walk into a normal room with a nar lilly a luck mat and a digrinder. In the same room, almost fainted as the saying goes you wait an hour for a bus then 3 come along at once. This has happened several times to me (different areas and such). This is my therory thats happened to me the most.
Play for hours then several rares and suprising things come at once.
Hope this helps your conductive research.

J-Sword2
May 17, 2003, 12:39 PM
I think the beat time theory is true, because the other day i was looking for a redhandgun from el rappy, and i killed three rappys went out the room came back in and rafoied them and got three red handguns.

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 12:55 PM
Congrats J-Sword2 on your find!

Thanks for all your support people, another member of my research team has developed a new, more realistic theory which we are currently looking into. I will release more info as I get it.

Please continue to email in your finds along with the difficulty, beat time and location.

The more information we get the better!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: DevOtion on 2003-05-17 11:30 ]</font>

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 02:53 PM
This link that was posted earier:

http://psoz.myqto.com/display.php?file=guide01
Does anyone know if there is any truth in this for the GC? It is quite an interesting theory although it isn't going to be as fun to research as the Beat Theory, so please keep emailing your information in.. We need lots more...

!THANKS!

Logical2u
May 17, 2003, 02:56 PM
On 2003-05-17 12:53, DevOtion wrote:
This link that was posted earier:

http://psoz.myqto.com/display.php?file=guide01
Does anyone know if there is any truth in this for the GC? It is quite an interesting theory although it isn't going to be as fun to research as the Beat Theory, so please keep emailing your information in.. We need lots more...

!THANKS!

They have a forum, bu most of the page is really messed up. YOu could try on the myqto page forum.

VulpesMundi
May 17, 2003, 04:43 PM
On 2003-05-17 10:39, J-Sword2 wrote:
...and i killed three rappys went out the room came back in and rafoied them and got three red handguns.

Luck of the draw. Why? Because each weapon is calculated differently with different %. You just got really lucky. Pay attention to the % on weapons and the stat differences on armor when you see more than one of the same type of item appear simultaneously and you'll quickly notice that there's quite a variance, which means that the items were produced separately. How can this be so? Over countless times of playing PSO and nuking Rappies, boxes, and other enemies simultaneously and never getting two exactly identical items (beyond the one-time-use items like mates and grinders and such) simultaneously is all the proof anyone should ever need. Anyone could play (and has played) the same ID at the same time in the same location as someone who claimed to score the jackpot and found nothing. Beat time does not effect rare drops or rare enemy appearances. It's all a matter of when the system decides to spit them out. Or would you like to explain to me why, when I was going through Forest of Sorrow last night, I found a Hildetorr in one pipe and it dropped a Monofluid. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 05:08 PM
Would you like to explain to me why, when I was going through Forest of Sorrow last night, I found a Hildetorr in one pipe and it dropped a Monofluid.

Isn't it possible that it was just not your time though? Like I said before, I neither believe or discard the theory, I am simply trying to see things from both sides. I never said anything about Beat time affecting rare enemy's spawning rates. I have had a similar experience, in the same day, I saw 2 Nar Lillies - one dropped meseta and the other dropped some armor or something, no Devil/Battle for me. Maybe it just wasnt my time...

Also, you still have no proof that Beat time doest affect rare drops, you are just arguing your point with a closed mind. Granted, I have no proof that Beat time does affect rare drops. But as far as I know, NOBODY has got as far as solid evidence for either side of the argument.

I am still interested in researching this theory, even if some of you arent, nobody can say it is wrong or right yet because there is no evidence, so you could at least be supportive, otherwise, please dont waste your time saying how stupid this is...

Thanks to all the people who have sent info in so far, but we still need more, so keep sending it in..

Thanks!

VulpesMundi
May 17, 2003, 05:54 PM
I forgot to mention that five minutes before I piped for that Hildetorr I randomly ran into a Pal Rappy which gave me a Red Partisan (10-star item, same as the Frozen Shooter the Hildetorr would have dropped) with nice %, and a couple minutes before that I found a Custom Ray ver.OO that had some nice %. Seemed to me like I was in my so-called jackpot zone.

You're assuming I'm saying this with a closed mind. I have seen this argument from both sides of the fence. At one time I was even avidly watching beat times to look for patterns, of which I found none. I've been playing this game for a long time and have had plenty of time to see that beat time does not effect rares. Need more proof? Okay, I'll bite.

After 12 Mil Lilies all found within the same time-frame (between 1am and 3am) I found a Psycho Wand with my Purplenum FOnewearl.

After 22 Pouilly Slimes all found within the same time-frame (between 9am to 11am) I found a Lavis Cannon with my Redria RAmar.

On more than one occassion I've played on more than 24-hour straight binges with the same character and ID and never found a single good item.

If beat time really made a difference, don't you think all three of those outcomes would have been notably different?

I'm willing to accept that some people, no matter how much proof they are given, will never believe that this idea has already been disproven. But I do suggest doing a thorough search of the PSOW forums to see all the various topics (and there's lots) on this issue and see how they all ended up going nowhere.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-05-17 15:55 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
May 17, 2003, 06:01 PM
you know, just take a look through the excavation reports, like this for instance

http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=804

and you can see that there are no common times that for sure will get you something

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 08:31 PM
Thats all well and good, and I've already read the reports. But check out what I just got:
Its about 2:30am my time (UK) and i guess i stopped playing about 10 minutes ago. Between Beat times 700 to when i stopped playing (about 715) i found a Photon Claw, Photon Drop, Add Slot, Varista and a Crush Bullet...
Not bad for about 6-7 minutes. And considering that i have NEVER PLAYED AT THIS TIME BEFORE... i will try again tomorrow and see what happens because of coincindence.
Oh, and im not the kind of person who "no matter how many times the theory is proven wrong, they will still insist its right", im just trying to investigate both possibilities and i still dont believe either way.

DevOtion
May 17, 2003, 08:39 PM
Also VulpesMundi, you said that you saw about 22 poulilly slimes in about 3 hours, thats not bad going is it, even though you didnt get many rares. Same with the Mil Lillies, 12's pretty damn good.

But please remember when you post to this thread everyone - i do not believe this theory, i am simply investigating a possibility put foreward by others.

As you have said, many people have tried to solve it before, buy noone hav found concrete evidence. The likelihood is that neither will I, or that i will find concrete evidence that beat time has nothing to do with rare drops...

VulpesMundi
May 17, 2003, 08:46 PM
Those weren't all found on the same day. At most I found three a day until I got the rare item I was after. The point I'm trying to make is that persistence is going to net you more goodies than believing in some theory that is easily disproven. The fact of the matter is that some people get lucky (I got really lucky finding my Psycho Wand in 12 Mil Lilies), and some people don't.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: VulpesMundi on 2003-05-17 18:48 ]</font>

jt
Jun 9, 2003, 01:33 PM
I'm not saying that you find all your rare items in the same beat i.e. You will find every single item you can find in a certain beat, im just sayin that at certain beats you probably get luckier or the game moves faster in randomly dropping items.

Kali lvl 116 FOnewm (black force at that)
legit and always will be (PSOX Epdote-01)
I am not a Force to be recokened with...

jt
Jun 9, 2003, 01:35 PM
I'm not saying that you find all your rare items in the same beat i.e. You will find every single item you can find in a certain beat, im just sayin that at certain beats you probably get luckier or the game moves faster in randomly dropping items.

Kali lvl 116 FOnewm (black force at that guess why http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_cool.gif)
legit and always will be (PSOX Epdote-01)
I am not a Force to be recokened with...