PDA

View Full Version : Newman Rangers?

Moleman
May 20, 2003, 05:47 AM
Can they exist?
I haven't played many of the old PS games, but my friend who has done more says they couldnt equip guns back then.

polishedweasel
May 20, 2003, 08:46 AM
Newman characters can use guns in PSO. They cannot use Rifles or Spreads. Mechs and handguns are useable by Newmans though. I think that's all the guns in the game.

Vanango
May 20, 2003, 09:13 AM
as for an actual Ranewearl they don't exist, but if you really wanted to you can sorta play a hunewearl as a ranger. The closest thing is a Ramarl probably, but no automatic TP recovery, which is obviously what sets them apart.

Dhylec
May 20, 2003, 10:24 AM
maybe he'll show up in ep3? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Helios
May 20, 2003, 02:40 PM
no, there can be no newman rangers---the ranger class is the android's niche, just like force is to the newmen

tehkao
May 20, 2003, 03:01 PM
Just to be picky, there were no newman FOs in the old PS games either. They were all Hunters(Nei and Rika).

Helios
May 20, 2003, 03:08 PM
ummm...you cant really classify ps1/2/3/4 characters as HU RA FO...but good point

other than that the pso isn't exactly true to the ps series. pso is a nice game and all, but the other 4 are classics! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

HaLLa
May 20, 2003, 03:15 PM
well actually you can with most of them

FluxGryphon
May 20, 2003, 05:36 PM
My only (non-gameplay-based) theory on why there aren't any Ranger Newman is because it takes a while to develop the precison skill with a ranged weapon that the Rangers are famous for. Considerably longer than the one year it takes for a Newman to mature, at any rate.

I got this idea while watching "Conquest" with Peter Woodward (who played Galen the technomage in "Crusade"). Shown on the History channel, they illustrated how much training and practice was involved in skillful archers. Basically, one's entire life was dedicated to archery...

VulpesMundi
May 20, 2003, 06:45 PM
On 2003-05-20 12:40, Helios wrote:
no, there can be no newman rangers

I wish someone could explain to me why the NPC HUnewearl Valetta found in the quest Grave's Butler is carrying a rifle-class weapon. Or why HUnewearls used to be able to use a Spread Needle. Or why FOnewearls can equip an Angel's Harp. Or why HUnewearls and FOnewearls can equip a Holy Ray. Rifles are the apitome of ranged accuracy, so why then can't a newman be a ranger? There's no plausible explaination beyond speculation that the game itself disproves. Sonic Team's design just loves to contradict itself. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif

I think the only real reason why there aren't any newman rangers is the same reason why there isn't a HUmarl and a HUnewm. It would simply unbalance the classes at this point. And since this is supposedly the last PSO, we'll probably never actually see those classes as playable characters. Such a shame. PSO has so much potential and Sonic Team & Sega just don't have the vision (and perhaps the know how) to continue the project and improve upon it.

Reenee
May 20, 2003, 06:57 PM
On 2003-05-20 06:46, polishedweasel wrote:
Newman characters can use guns in PSO. They cannot use Rifles or Spreads. Mechs and handguns are useable by Newmans though. I think that's all the guns in the game.

*cough*Inferno Bazooka*cough*

Soukosa
May 20, 2003, 07:38 PM
One idea I've come up with why we got a RAmarl instead of a RAnewearl is because then the FOmarl would be the only Human female. But, then we look at the males and we have the FOnewm which is the only Newman male. Maybe, they just wanted to balance out the sexes between the races but weren't able to do it with the males.

Lman90245
May 21, 2003, 02:39 AM
On 2003-05-20 12:40, Helios wrote:
no, there can be no newman rangers---the ranger class is the android's niche, just like force is to the newmen

Ya, I agree with that (FOcast eeeeeew)

Lman90245
May 21, 2003, 02:40 AM
On 2003-05-20 16:57, Shapiro wrote:

On 2003-05-20 06:46, polishedweasel wrote:

*cough*Inferno Bazooka*cough*

*cough*Bringers Rifle too!

Sharkyland
May 21, 2003, 05:29 AM
I was also curious about this, and I still don't know why. I guess newmans never really evovled to like guns besides the usual mechgun and handgun.