PDA

View Full Version : GC: UK: Want to connect with BB but I only have a USB modem!

jediknight007
May 20, 2003, 07:31 PM
Hi, I know that this question might have been asked millions of billions of gazillions of times but I have searched through the whole forum and haven't been able to find any helpful information.

I'm currently with PlusNet and have a USB modem connected to my PC and a RJ11-to-RJ11 cable connecting the phone socket to it. However, there are only three sockets on my USB modem, one the USB socket itself, one labelled 'Line' and one labelled 'Phone'. If I was to buy a BBA for my GC, where do I connect the BBA to? Can't I just connect the BBA straight to my phone socket (with micro-filter) using a cable (RJ45 or whatever)?

If not, then how do I connect my BBA to my USB modem? Will I need to connect it through a 10/100 network card installed in my PC? I'm going to be connecting my PC to my brother's PC soon so that we can share our broadband. If this happens, how will I then be able to connect my BBA to my network card if it's occupied?

As for the BBA, I haven't yet found any shops which have any in stock but first, I need to find out whether I can use a BBA adaptor at all. Any help would be very much appreciated. Many thanks.

P.S. Remember, I'm from the UK

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jediknight007 on 2003-05-20 17:35 ]</font>

BrokenHope
May 21, 2003, 06:19 AM
If you are going to be connection more than two devices to your broadband connection you will probably be better off buying something like this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=34058

It is a combined adsl modem and a router with a 4 port switch, it replaces your current usb modem and allows 4 devices to share the internet connection.

Rich_T
May 21, 2003, 01:00 PM
your GC BBA can plug into a spare ethernet socket on your P.C, enable internet conection sharing, and you can play PSO over broadband with a USB modem.

As for E-buyer take a look through this site,
E-buyer customer comecnts and feedback (http://ebuyerdotcon.funurl.com/) and do a search at google groups for e-buyer.
avoid them.

jediknight007
May 22, 2003, 11:51 AM
The ethernet card option looks good. I don't want to waste £100 on another router since I don't want to replace my modem really. Just networked 2 PCs together with a RJ45 crossover cable. Looks like I will have to buy another RJ45 cable and plug that into my ethernet card whenever I want to play PSO on BB. Anyone have any ideas about which RJ45 cable to get? I know that there are 2 types, the patch cable and crossover cable.

Benoit
May 25, 2003, 09:21 AM
You need the RJ45 Crossover network cable. The other one won't work.

Rich_T
May 26, 2003, 01:54 PM
peice of piss mate, espeicaly if youve just got two P.Cs networked.
its basicly the same, with the gamecube as it is with your second P.C

jediknight007
May 26, 2003, 02:17 PM
Well, looks like I will need another RJ45 crossover cable to connect to the GC BBA then. Looks like I can just easily disconnect the cable from my brother's PC and plug in the BBA one. Thing is that my brother won't be able to use my broadband, unless I get a second network card installed on my PC. Anyways, thanks for everyone's help.