PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding the lobby FSOD

Vanango
May 21, 2003, 06:51 PM
If you were on Antares at all today you might have noticed either you were getting the FSOD a lot or other people were dropping like dresses after prom. I'm posting this just so you all become more wary and have a better understanding of what's happening.

First off, it's not some l337 hax0rz cheat. It's not anything special and it's not anything new. It's not a special cheat code (or if it is and someone paid for it, that's too funny), it's just a lame way for some idiot(s) to amuse them self(selves). Pathetic.

The best way to avoid? To not go online, for some that isn't a problem, for others... well, for us, we have a few alternatives.

1. Stay out of crowded areas. These people target highly populated areas so they can see people disconnect and giggle to themselves in the dark. Places to avoid? Vega and Antares. Explore Deneb or the EU or JP ships.

If you are on dial up -- this and not going online are your two major alternatives (at least that I can think of) but personally, I think you have other problems to have worry about, your best bet is again, to stay in non crowded areas, create/join a pass worded room and play with friends you trust.

2. For the more fortunate with broadband (i.e. Cable, DSL?) you have one more and in my opinion best alternative. A router. Before I continue I realize many of you aren't working and don't necessarily have the means to obtain a router, but trying to convince your parents to invest in a router would be a good idea.

***tangent***
a. If you have multiple computer or even just a computer and your gaming console, you can go online with both at the same time.
b. Routers include an automatic firewall protection for any machine connected through it, i.e. higher security.)
c. Future networking, for desktops or laptops or LAN parties...
***/tangent***

I should note here what a router is in case you haven't figured it out yet, it basically is a box that "splits" your connection. Popular routers include Linksys and Dlink (mostly because they are the cheapest but with price comes quality) but for most of you if you didn?t know what a router was in the first place, either will suffice) This is not to be confused with a hub, which is similar but there is no additional firewall protection. Hubs are cheaper and in my option are only a better investment than a router if it is daisy chained (yes, go ahead and giggle) through an existing router.

Back on subject, a router will significantly lower your chances of someone giving you the infamous FSOD. In regular game play you should also experience less problems.

With a router, it is still possible for someone to knock you offline, but using your computer you can configure the router making sure of 2 things, that it is set to DHCP and you are masking your IP. You don't so much have to understand what that means... it should work.

To anyone that might be knocking other people offline, a note to you: It's pathetic, you aren't 1337, you aren't proving anything except your own immaturity. Yea, it pisses people off, it starts to ruin the game for people, are you that selfish and self centered? The world doesn't revolve around you and you have to get over yourself. Do I think you will stop? Probably not, but you are 2 dimensional and predicable like that.

It's a lot of work for a game... but think about all the time you've all ready put into it. *shrug* I'll still be online and playing. Hopefully this will help some people out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanango on 2003-05-21 16:53 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanango on 2003-05-21 16:57 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Vanango on 2003-05-21 17:18 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
May 21, 2003, 06:59 PM
hey you killed my edit missy!

Vanango
May 21, 2003, 07:19 PM
*lures lolita with dim sum goodies*

Soukosa
May 21, 2003, 07:42 PM
Would a firewall on the computer providing the connection to the internet via ICS help out those that use ICS with their Gamecube?

Vanango
May 21, 2003, 08:08 PM
On 2003-05-21 17:42, Kalonera wrote:
Would a firewall on the computer providing the connection to the internet via ICS help out those that use ICS with their Gamecube?

Yes, I'm assuming the 2nd connection would go through the orginal firewall? You might want to test if possible by setting up another computer... chances are if you don't have frequent problems before w/ getting the FSOD you should be all right.

Sheik1
May 21, 2003, 10:41 PM
I will provide information in my home network setup. Hopefully it will inspire some people, but this may be too technical for people that have never dealt with networking or IP (internet protocol).

First of all I have a DSL line here at home. The DSL is though a local internet provider and I am fortunate to hold a static IP address.

This connection is quite nice and fast and is on all the time for who ever needs to use the internet in the house.

The DSL modem (if that is what you want to call it) is connected directly to a Netgear RT311 router. This router is many years old...I bought it over 4 years ago for a price of about $150 I think. They have significantly dropped in price since then, but although there are newer and better things out there I am happy with this setup.

You can get information on this Netgear router at this web address:

http://www.netgear.com

http://www.netgear.com/support/support_dnld.asp?prodNum=RT311

If I were you I would just get a nice D-Link router. They seem pretty nice and easy to configure using a web-based configuration interface.

Anyways, back to the network setup information. The router is programmed to block all internet traffic coming in below a specific port number (1024) to keep people attempting to hack in out.

The router uses NAT (network address translation). This means that all the computers in your side of the router use fake IP addresses in the form of 192.168.xxx.xxx. These computers, unless configures specifically with the router, are not accessible outside the internal network because the router would not know where to send the packets of data to.

The router is then connected to a 8-port 10/100 D-Link ethernet switch and the internet connection is then distributed though out the house from there. The switch not only provides internet sharing but connectivity of all the computers in the network.

Here is what I currently have attached to my network:
1. My workstation
2. My dad's workstation
3. A Netware file server (hosts DNS records and software for installation in the network)
4. A Windows 2000 server (hosts web sites)
5. A ReplayTV
6. My GCN with PSO
7. My brother's computers when the visit from college.

All these computers have access to the internet though the network in the home. This is quite a nice setup and is not completely difficult to do.

This will also, if configured correctly, add firewall protection to your network. You will not have to run any firewall software on your workstation. I do not and have had no problems with any people hacking and what not.

Remember to that I also host a few web sites and a FTP server on the internet as well but they are setup securely and do not pose problems.

Any questions that you have you may PM me or email me.

BrokenHope
May 22, 2003, 03:22 AM
Um, unless these people are knocking people offline by IP flooding or the like, i don't see how having a router/firewall is going to protect against this lobby fsod O_o

rena-ko
May 22, 2003, 03:43 AM
thats because the fsod is also happening because a temporary drop of sent info - the cube then gets 'nervous' and possibly freezes up, while a router stays calm and does not sent irritating info to the cube.

if anyone wants to correct me, please to so, but thats how i think fsods happen.

btw. i play on dial up and unless i don't hop from server to server too quick or use 'meet user' brainlessly i don't have fsods. ingame fsod happened but that was already ages ago again.

Jack
May 22, 2003, 03:55 AM
Does ICS act the same way as a router? Also, how do you open the specific ports needed for PSO to run? My firewall is Norton Internet Security, and I currently have to de-activate the firewall whenever I want to play online.

CajunSamurai
May 22, 2003, 07:16 AM
Oh wow, what a great thread... I've gotten only 3 or 4 legitimate FSODs before this lobby FSOD hack came out (I've since gotten about 6 or 7 more, ugh), but I've always wondered why I've been so lucky with FSOD. Hmm...
I've also noticed that a few of my broadband friends have been able to survive the FSOD hack most of the time, and so have I... I assumed it was because we were on broadband, but now that I think about it, we all use routers as well. Huh! o_O

So glad that this stupid trick isn't increasing in popularity (as far as I can SEE, at least)... A week or so ago it was so damn bad that I canceled my HL on the spot.

Benoit
May 22, 2003, 02:17 PM
I use something similar. WinRoute Lite. It does NAT, shares the connection and makes a firewall. I have only had a few FSODs. Once in the lobby on a EU ship, and a couple of times in a game, also on a EU ship.

I want to add to this thread that you can notice FSOD 'working' when your team mates stop moving for a long time, and more easily noticeable is when you can't pick up items. When you notice this, use Quit Game on your menu, and re-connect.

cafeenboy
May 22, 2003, 04:43 PM
If I have been on PSO since whenever it came out, should I have most likely had an FSOD by now? Every1 keeps complaining about how they are getting them, and I havn't gotten 1 yet... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif