PDA

View Full Version : Forum Speed

Ziro
Mar 11, 2001, 05:06 PM
I have a cable modem and when I click into this forum it is really really slow for the page to appear. I was wondering if any1 else gets this?

GoodCow
Mar 11, 2001, 05:12 PM
I think it's because the forum is based on UBB, and UBB forums with a lot of traffic CRAWL.

MgL
Mar 11, 2001, 05:13 PM
Its getting rediculous. It seriously took like 3 or 4 minutes for the general forum to load for me... then again Im not on cable, but still...

Glider
Mar 11, 2001, 05:22 PM
Yeah it is really slow. Althougth sometimes it actually goes pretty fast.

Athian
Mar 11, 2001, 05:35 PM
Slow isn't a slow enough word to describe the speed of this forum. If that makes sense to ya. It took my about 5 mins to reply to this post and thats with a cable modem. I was just trying to reply to a trade offer I got and the trade forum never loaded. Sigh anyway this forum is beyond slow and the only time its got some speed to it is 4am.

diospadre
Mar 11, 2001, 05:48 PM
this forum is php, not ubb. thats cgi. i have a feeling its just hosted on a really horrible server. this site doesnt get enough traffic to majke the php slow down. im startin to think its hosted on a cable modem because its so slow.

Ukyou
Mar 11, 2001, 05:54 PM
Loading (weither it's posting a reply, or just looking at new messages) never takes more than 20-30 secs. I'm on a cable modem also.

Ambrai
Mar 11, 2001, 06:37 PM
The site is suffering under an extream load. If I am correct its hosted on a T1 line, but we are getting over 80k hits a day and the current board system that is used is very demanding on bandwith.

We are looking at alternatives, but funding is first and foremost. This site is coming out of the pocket of Tomeeboy and its costing him alot.

Josh
Mar 11, 2001, 07:43 PM
Yeah. It's very slow and I'm on DSL, but it's better than nothing. Like Ambrai said, we shouldn't really be complaining, we're not paying to run this site, so we should be thankful.

f0rge
Mar 11, 2001, 08:50 PM
yeah it's slow. but good things are worth waiting for http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

GEBB
Mar 11, 2001, 08:57 PM
I got 56k and it takes forever!!! like 3 minutes to load up to the general forum screen and like 40 seconds to get into a topic

Tomeeboy
Mar 11, 2001, 09:44 PM
Actually, we're hosted on a very good server, on a much faster connection than a T1. The problem is not with our connection speed, but with the server not being able to process all of the database requests fast enough. This month we're expecting well over 2 MILLION pageviews (possibly more than 3 Mil!). We're getting multiple hits per second, which causes everything to slow to a crawl sometimes.

Even though we just upgraded servers, we need to upgrade to something even better... which is going to cost a LOT of money. Unfortunately, it's money that we currently don't have... so until we come up with a way to pay for another server upgrade, things are going to be kind of slow when the site is getting hammered (which is most of the day).

Just thought I'd clear things up a bit before rumors started flying around that we're 'hosted on a cable modem' and too cheap to upgrade... hehe. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

-Tom

segagameplay
Mar 11, 2001, 10:06 PM
Hey i just wanna say thank you tom.

Troll
Mar 11, 2001, 11:39 PM
I also notice that it takes a long time to load up. At first I thought my Cable modem was going slow, but when I tried connecting on a T1 connection, it still took a while. Oh well...