PDA

View Full Version : Mac Vs PC- the final battle lol

SsjOnslaught
Mar 11, 2001, 08:05 PM
Due to the slick 8 inch cube and flat screen monitor, i am most likely gonna get a Mac G4 Cube. I got a few questions- first of all i must have windows on it, and i understand i can use virtual PC for that. But, will it run hella slow? In PC terms what is a G4 450 Mhz ? Someone told me it was comparable to PIII 900 Mhz. Should i get cable or DSL? And finally, where can i get a great deal on the low end model G4 Cube and a 15 inch flat screen apple studio display?
Thanks
Richie

rekonstruct
Mar 11, 2001, 11:45 PM
Hey. Would this be your first Mac? I only ask because you should know what your getting into. I have been a Macuser pretty much since I began computers back in 1994. I can answer some of your Q's.

1. Virtual PC runs like crap on a 450 (probably even on the highest end Mac as well), dont expect to be running ANY games or anything at all at any decent speed. It really isnt a substitute for a PC. I use it to check the compatibility of websites, so speed isnt really a concern, but its damn slow.

2. Dont buy the Apple line on its claims of superior speed in everyway to the Pentium. First of all, generally, Macusers are graphic designers, mostly print designers (like me), or video editors. So Apple bases its scores on a series of Photoshop actions' tests (or the outdated bytemark tests), and its true a G4 will perform much (sometime 2x) as better as a higher clocked PC in Photoshop (the app that really matters to most Macusers). So its not all clear like Apple would want you to believe. As for the 450 G4 being comperable to a 900 P3? It depends on what your gonna do with your system. As I said most Mac users are graphic designers, so they go where the speed is.

3. Cable or DSL? Hmm. I have DSL, but Im starting to think that cable might have been the better choice. Why? Well.. DSL installation is a hassle. Waiting periods, etc. Once you have it though, I really cant complain.. only for the stupid contracts you have to sign. From what I understand with cable there are no 1 year contracts, etc. The DSL I have is 1.5mbps (150k/sec), and if the site is reliable, I do get maximum speed. So I cant complain about that. I think cable goes higher (though if you have to pay more for it, I dont know). DSL is generally $40/month.

4. If you really want to get a Mac, please do not get a Cube. Sure it looks really cool and all, but it isnt really practical, especially if you want to expand it. Get one of the new G4s instead, the 733 model comes with a DVD-R/CD-RW combo. And it really is a nice CPU if you can afford it. Heck I wish I had one. Then I can blaze through this work Im trying to finish.

SsjOnslaught
Mar 12, 2001, 03:28 AM
besides the cube looking so slick, it is SMALL....and space is a major concern with me. It also hooks up everything with flat screen wirelessly...as far as expanability, im fine with that
Are you sure Virtual PC runs like crap? Ive got mac friends with G3s who say it runs fine....so i should be nice and speedy with a G4. I guess i should check out how it looks on theirs. Thanks for all the help
What do ya think?
Richie

Ambrai
Mar 12, 2001, 11:17 AM
Well the vital question here is what will you be doing with it?

If its gaming and net surfing, gen screwing around then PC All the way.

If you are doing 'Professional' graphics or sound editing then Mac all the way (but they will be around $2400).

Definition of Professional is something you will make money from.

SsjOnslaught
Mar 13, 2001, 03:18 AM
Its just to fuck around.....IMs, web pages, gaming etc....i was told G4 with virtual PC would run FINE...i have found some good deals...so what it comes down to is if they were the same price, would a G4 Cube (that doesnt take up space and looks nice) run speedily with cable and virtual PC (windows emulator) ?????

Pollo_loco
Mar 13, 2001, 05:27 AM
PC would cost so much cheaper than the G4 that you might actually be able to afford a huge, kickass monitor so that you can stick your DC hooked up into a VGA box into it. Or, if you already have the kickass monitor, you can buy nifty periphs for your PC.

More games are available for the PC, but they seem to look better on the MAC, once ported, or if they come out for the MAC first. It would be a waste to just screw around with a huge system... Considering how PCs are marketed, and how Microsoft pushes its operating system around - most of your software is gonna be windows based. Windows will be as stable as you need it to be - Not like you're running some kind of business off the machine, eh?

Were you talking to a MAC guy when you were told virtual PC would run fine on it? You realize what emulation means?

Cable and DSL look comparable right now - judging from the equal number of complaints in the newsgroups... I suppose it depends on who your carrier is and which area you're located in. For me, it all goes down to pricing. $30/mo for DSL, ~$50/mo for cable... They're both gonna have their problems, I might as well pay for the cheaper service. Either way, they both perform the same way on MACs and PCs.

rekonstruct
Mar 13, 2001, 08:56 PM
i dunno man, you seem to just want to do regular computer stuff. you might as well get a pc and save some cash. you'll be able to play some cool games that I cant. heh. think about what you want to do with your computer.. games? get a pc. regular computer stuff? (web browsing, im, email) pc. graphic work? mac. I mean, you keep mentioning virtual pc like its essential. if having pc functionality is essential... get a pc.

SsjOnslaught
Mar 13, 2001, 11:24 PM
Hmmm....i appreciate all the input....
ok listen up-
pretend they are the same price
pc: Athlon 700 w huge ass HD, dvd, 17 inch monitor and 256 or 128 ram
or Mac (RUNNING VIRTUAL WINDOWS- YES, THINK OF IT AS A PC IN A MAC BODY)- G4 450 w 20 Gig HD, dvd, 15 inch flat screen (wireless) monitor, and 320 Ram

Throw in extra points to mac for portability, size saving design, no fan quietness, lack of desktop clutter cuz of no wires, and nice looking

Take away points from mac because of lack of expandibility, steeper price, and fact windows 2000 will run a little slower

I think with the pluses and the minuses...price evens out....please, think of the mac as a PC, i will NOT run anything except virtual PC....

So...What do i go with?! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Let the arguing begin....http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif
I appreciate the help
Richie

rekonstruct
Mar 13, 2001, 11:58 PM
dude.. if your not running anything other than vpc... wtf? get a pc. you dont go and buy a ps2 and pretend its a dc. its not that hard to figure out. pc=runs windows natively. mac=runs windows through emulation. pc=faster running windows. mac=slower at running windows. pc=cheaper for what you want to do with it. mac=more expensive for what you want to do with it. SsjOnslaught=better choice for you is the pc.

Pollo_loco
Mar 14, 2001, 12:04 AM
What arguing? Cripes, buy the bloody PC, already. Why do you even ask, considering everything you've been saying? I'm ignoring this thread from now on.

SsjOnslaught
Mar 14, 2001, 02:21 AM
You guys arent listening..pretend they are both PCs....UGH....now i dont know what to do!

Ambrai
Mar 14, 2001, 11:13 AM
Ok if they are both pc's the mac will remind you of a 486.

Lenneth
Mar 14, 2001, 12:08 PM
Really, it sounds more like you're shopping for a computer more for an accessory than a tool.

The reason people are baffled by your virtualPC spiel is because that's similiar to saying that you're going to buy a dog that acts like a cat instead of a cat.

Computers are tools, and it doesn't make much sense to buy a tool that either falls short of or is over-qualified for your needs.

If you want to buy a Mac to use as a Mac (graphic design, publishing, etc.), get the new G4. If you want to buy a Mac to use like a PC, then buy a PC that suits your needs (which might be a lot cheaper than you're looking at right now). If you're buying a Mac because it looks cool, buy a painting instead... it's a much better investment, trust me. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Pax, Lenneth