PDA

View Full Version : Sega Can Reset My DC?

Sheogorath
Mar 12, 2001, 03:41 AM
While gaming with HERO (Get used to the name, bub hehe) and Enchantress and hero's friend Star_Knight, I witnessed a horrible act of malice on Sega's part:

They reset my DC.

See, what happened (And I wonder, has this happened to others???) was that I stood on the Mines Boss transporter waiting for everyone to meet me, but before they did, my screen flashed white, and I got sent directly back to the DC Logo screen, as if someone had hit a reset switch.

And unlike a BSOD, which I evade safely by unplugging the modem cord, this one ate everything I didn't have equipped.

Damage Result?

My Chaos-Bringer Rifle Cheech gave me last night...gone. 200K of meseta gone, and my 7 scape dolls I carried with me.

Thankfully (And oddly enough) it didn't take the Inferno Bazooka I had found an hour earlier and put in my bank. Strange that I had yet to save the game, yet it registered that I had a bazooka in my bank vault.

Now, I was online for about 6 hours straight, so maybe they reset my DC because I was taking up server space, who knows. But where in my manual does it say they have the right to snatch me out of a game with my friends, right before we fight a boos no less?

This isn't a flame, I love Sega with all my heart, and have nothing but respect for a company that makes the greatest RPGs in console gaming...BUT this is horrible.

Ahh well, we all have to deal with it, and it's a part of the game, like it or not, right?

Got another C-bringer, cheech? http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Broly
Mar 12, 2001, 03:48 AM
Sega cannot reset ure DC. That may have been some type of "fatal error" you recieved and that possibly could have reset ure DC in that fashion.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Broly on 2001-03-12 01:12 ]</font>

BlitzGott
Mar 12, 2001, 03:51 AM
And why exactly do you think Sega did this to you? I'm fairly certain that there isn't some guy sitting in a dark room with a big red button, just waiting to reset DC's. It's like the BSOD, it's a bug and nothing more. Nobody seems to know what triggers them, they just happen. It is very strange that it would save your Inferno Bazooka though...

[addsig]

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: BlitzGott on 2001-03-12 00:53 ]</font>

Sheogorath
Mar 12, 2001, 04:01 AM
Well, I say they reset my DC because thats what I was told by those who were in my game at the time. And I believe them, since they know a bit more then me about these things.

I meant to mention that in my post, but didn't. (ugh) Sorry about that.

BlitzGott
Mar 12, 2001, 04:04 AM
Well, I've heard of people having their Dreamcast reset while playing offline. Therefore it can't be a direct action by Sega.

Sheogorath
Mar 12, 2001, 04:12 AM
It just seemed viable, you know? I hate to sound lame thinking Sega did it, but I used to play other online games where they would disconnect you after an exceedingly large amount of time online. (Mostly MUDs, illusia comes to mind...the "Gods" there were VERY arrogant)

I just thought that perhaps Sega had a Script set up on their server that bumped people off after large amounts of time online.

ITs no biggie, I make it a habit now to equip ONE weapon at a time, instead of two. I used to have one hard hitting single-hit weapon (Bosses, big enemies) and one Multi-hit weapon, but I think now I'll just choose one for each area, and stick with it. No way will I lose another item!

The reset just struck me as funny. It can't be my dreamcast, Im so paranoid that I have my a small fan set up on the "closed" side of the DC, and run it while the DC is on. And the reset couldnt have been from a bug, since I was doing nothing more advanced then standing on the boss portal, waiting for my team mates to catch up.

Ah well, topic over with. Im babbling

BlitzGott
Mar 12, 2001, 04:19 AM
Whatever the case, the system reset is just one more thing for Sega to put on the "Fix for PSO2" list... lets just hope it can be a bit more refined in the next outing.

Stoned_Cat
Mar 12, 2001, 04:26 AM
WEIRD...
Had the exact same thing happen to me in the EXACT same place... However I lost my whole char... exp and all.

I dont think SEGA did it. Prolly just a bug that occurs under very specific conditions.

Lucidservant
Mar 12, 2001, 05:22 AM
Clean your Dreamcast "laser" lens with a plastic lens cleaner. We're the good guys.

Aberu
Mar 12, 2001, 05:56 AM
All i need to say is they cant operate the power on your dreamcast through their servers. and it is two problems, laser lens problem and a power plug problem. this has happened to me during other games so it is not them resetting it your friends do not know what you are talking about. i have asked my friend who works at Sega (in austin, TX) about it cuz i happened to me and he told me what i told you.

Sheogorath
Mar 12, 2001, 06:10 AM
Will a standard, off the shelf, laser lens cleaner work? I mean, One that I just walk into Wal-Mart and buy? Or do I get one from Sega?

I doubt it's the power cord, since I have the slack in the cord bundled up to avoid fraying, and it's connected right to my power strip, so there is no chance of a short in the wire either.

Thanks Aberu, I'll go and get that lens cleaner http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Lucidservant
Mar 12, 2001, 06:13 AM
One from Wal-Mart will do just fine. Make sure it's for CD-Roms. I have even used compressed air. Good for PCs and DCs.http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Lucidservant
Mar 12, 2001, 06:18 AM
By the way, who is your friend? I may know that person. We're all pretty tight around the office. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif