PDA

View Full Version : Spelling of the word QUITE.

Elvendar
May 31, 2003, 05:35 PM
I have seen, in many occurences, that people on the PSOW forums don't know how to spell the word 'QUITE' (As in "Bob, you are quite healthy.") Instead, they replace this with the word with "QUIET" (as in, "It's pretty quiet in here.") You'd think that people would have the tenacity to take in the lessons of english class in the FIFTH GRADE.

Not saying that I have perfect spelling, nor am I an english professor, but this doesn't help others learn from your mistakes.

Eh, i'll stop there. <.<

Sai-Yuk
May 31, 2003, 06:55 PM
some of us (myself included) have problems with english, that we can't be blamed for, but we try.

others just don't try what so ever, and have no excuse.

my brother hates that types of people, but he also used to give me hell over my problem with english, because he enjoyed upsetting me.

*shrugs* i have more of a problem with the missing u's in words like colour and such, but, thats because i do HTML, i wish however, that people would remember the yo that makes u a you, as u without yo is annoying as hell. so is all the missing ae from r, and the completely absent 'to' (2) and 'for' (4) that seems to be substituted for PERFECTLY GOOD ENGLISH.

whats worse is, people are starting to use 'lol' in every day writing. the internet, mobile phones and other such things are one of the most disasterous inventions i've ever had the misfortune to witness, as they have single handedly been the driving force for the deviation that has befallen the english language. it seriously makes me want to die when i see that they have admitted a word like 'bling' into the english language.

Lontar
May 31, 2003, 07:01 PM
Bling bling, lol! ROFLMAO!

RagRappyStreetSoldier
May 31, 2003, 08:11 PM
It's not really that annoying. I type like that when I don't fell like taking my time. Oh and BTW, English starts way before the fifth grade...

LamerPanda
May 31, 2003, 08:17 PM
On 2003-05-31 15:35, Elvendar wrote:
Eh, i'll stop there. <.<

That "I" should be capitalized! XD

No, really, things like "lol" do annoy me (on a forum, you have enough time to type out whole words). The "quite/quiet" problem is somewhat irritating as well, but in most cases I'll let it slide as long as most of the post is easy to understand.

However, if I'm picking on someone, I'll tear their grammar to shreds. ^-^

Vanango
May 31, 2003, 09:53 PM
On 2003-05-31 17:01, Lontar wrote:

bling bling was put into the dictionary.

MasterJoel
Jun 3, 2003, 12:13 AM
one day my neighbor pointed out how much he hates the term lol, and then, the next day, i used it in a verbal conversation. i laughed so hard. i will admit that the english language is evolving into something stupid, and that people have poor english skills, but not capitalizing letters is a sign of lazyness. proofreading should come automatically to kill the typos though.

Guntz348
Jun 3, 2003, 12:21 AM
On 2003-05-31 19:53, Vanango wrote:

On 2003-05-31 17:01, Lontar wrote:

bling bling was put into the dictionary.

So was "D'oh!". That has to be the single best addition ever!

Delsaber
Jun 4, 2003, 12:38 AM
I 1z h4v3 p3rf3kt 3ng1sh, I t3|| u!

Yes, I hate the b.s. as shown above. That takes more time than to just type out the damned thing out correctly. There should be a script running on this site that automatically fixes things like these. If it detects certain numbers and letter in a row then it turns them into the characters that they should be (i.e. "p3rf3ct" -> "perfect"). That would be nice. But then again, someone would find away around it to annoy people. Oh well, I'll shut up now.

Edit: - kthxbye! (Mwahahaha... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif )

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Delsaber on 2003-06-03 22:41 ]</font>

Reenee
Jun 4, 2003, 08:50 AM
Everybody!

Let's learn how to spell words in the English language! Plus, get some friggin' grammar in there! In a bulletin board, you're indirectly talking with other people who are actually real! They are not your dog that you think you have!

Jebus, is that so hard to do? Oh, wait, for many of you, it is.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Shapiro on 2003-06-04 06:52 ]</font>

IceBlink
Jun 4, 2003, 11:35 AM
How about we ban anyone who mispells a word from now on or uses a word out of context (i.e. quiet instead of quite)?

Wait, let's not. XD *runs away*

rena-ko
Jun 5, 2003, 03:23 AM
hm... what's annoying me the most aren't any missing letters or misstyped words or childish l33t writings, but endless sentences without correct logical format and missing 'enters'.

hm, this upcoming of "english language goes to hell" is reminding me of what some people think of the german language with all these anglicisms used these days.. or what my teacher told me about modern japanese language.

LollipopLolita
Jun 5, 2003, 03:28 AM
Well, I don't know if this is entirely fair. I know some people here who don't have English as their first language, or even a language they are familiar with. English is actually my 4th language, so what do I know about perfect English?

I'd also rather people feel comfortable being here and posting here.

Kid_Icarus
Jun 5, 2003, 03:35 AM
Does it matter how you spell the word quite?

o_o

I'm tired of arguing though. It's like beating my head into a wall. If you're gonna nitpick over one word, go into an AOL Chatroom sometime.

Lemme know if your head explodes n_n/

Trickstr
Jun 5, 2003, 03:58 AM
On 2003-06-05 01:28, LollipopLolita wrote:
Well, I don't know if this is entirely fair. I know some people here who don't have English as their first language, or even a language they are familiar with. English is actually my 4th language, so what do I know about perfect English?

I'd also rather people feel comfortable being here and posting here.

hear, hear
now bee Quite everyone, lol.

My English and grammer is perfect.