PDA

View Full Version : Funny Censorship..

Tallywhacker
May 31, 2003, 11:59 PM
I found out you can't say Saturday when I was talking to my friend. PSO censored out the "turd" in it.

Also, you can't say "fart".. heh.

..or "pork".

Does anyone else know any normal words that are censored out for some reason?

VioletSkye
Jun 1, 2003, 12:08 AM
Their censorship is ridiculous. I tried to say bite and it got censored. It is pointless to censor players when they can either put in a space, use a number or whatever else to get their words across. I suppose it may have seemed like a good idea at the time, but in practice its useless and annoying.

Delsaber
Jun 1, 2003, 12:19 AM
The word "Cul" gets censored. What in the hell is "Cul?"

Droxitr
Jun 1, 2003, 12:24 AM
Just cul? Was it part of another word?

I hear PSOX won't let you go online with a character named Linux...

Tallywhacker
Jun 1, 2003, 12:24 AM
Lmao, Cul probably means something naughty in a different language..

I don't think you can say the Spanish word for penis. :

Lman90245
Jun 1, 2003, 12:29 AM
oh yeah I can't beleive they censored ANO in ANO Rifle AND ITS EVEN IN THE GAME!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lman90245 on 2003-05-31 22:30 ]</font>

VioletSkye
Jun 1, 2003, 12:34 AM
On 2003-05-31 22:29, Lman90245 wrote:
oh yeah I can't beleive they censored ANO in ANO Rifle AND ITS EVEN IN THE GAME!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Lman90245 on 2003-05-31 22:30 ]</font>

LOL I forgot about that one. Some guy asked me awhile back what gun I was using and I said Ano Rifle, which came out as something like @$# Rifle LOL.

Tallywhacker
Jun 1, 2003, 12:36 AM
Same with the Frozen Shooter, it censors "hooter".

Dime
Jun 1, 2003, 01:19 AM
Marica

LunarShadowX
Jun 1, 2003, 01:26 AM
I remember the DC version having "PMS" censored. Someone should try it out on the GC.

DarkShinjaru
Jun 1, 2003, 02:06 AM
the word Masturbate isn't censored, but Masterbate is and it's the wrong spelling lol. Also, Shoes is censored...

LunarShadowX
Jun 1, 2003, 02:09 AM
Shoes is censored cause of hoe I believe.

DarkShinjaru
Jun 1, 2003, 02:11 AM
Indeed it is. you can say Ass if ya put a . or somethin after it.
My mom kicks your dad's ass.
as opposed to
My mom kicks your dad's ass

brillyfresh
Jun 1, 2003, 02:25 AM
the same goes for butt (example: buttslam)
and anal (example: doubleanal)

Octavian
Jun 1, 2003, 03:06 AM
testical is censored. however ovary is not -_-

Dime
Jun 1, 2003, 03:23 AM
You can say assbitchhellbullshit in mail.

Proto22003
Jun 1, 2003, 03:36 AM
On 2003-06-01 01:06, Julius wrote:
testical is censored. however ovary is not -_-

dude, u spelled testicle wrong man its testicle, not testical

Tallywhacker
Jun 1, 2003, 04:03 AM
You can say "shoe" but not "shoes"..........

LegendaryMage
Jun 1, 2003, 04:09 AM
I think they should of checked their item names before they implemented the censor ship. Took me forever to figure out the ice shooter one.

Jack
Jun 1, 2003, 05:15 AM
You can say "cunt", and that's arguably one of the most offensive words.

muff
Jun 1, 2003, 06:02 AM
On 2003-06-01 03:15, Jack wrote:

Ya....

Cunt ( P ) Pronunciation Key (knt)
n. Vulgar Slang
The female genital organs.
Sexual intercourse with a woman.

Offensive. Used as a disparaging term for a woman.
Used as a disparaging term for a person one dislikes or finds extremely disagreeable
-----------*-----------------

Vanango
Jun 1, 2003, 07:43 AM
On 2003-06-01 03:15, Jack wrote:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1580050158/103-0652816-7734267

Considered to be the most vile, obscence and vulgar 'swear word' in the English language, the word 'Cunt' in the vernacular means vagina. As if that is not indication enough why it is considered so vile a term in the vagina-hating Patriarchy, the word itself was originally a term of respect and reverence for a powerful, spiritually enlightened woman.
'Cunt' derives from 'Kunda' or 'Cunti, the Oriental Great Goddess. She was the Great Yoni (vagina) of the Universe, where all life came from and to where all life returned for renewal. From this same name the words country, kin and kind came from.
It is not a slang word, but a true, ancient language word. Other derivates are 'cunabula' - a cradle (and like the mother's womb, protects and sooths the child), the Roman Goddess 'Cunina' who protected cradled children, 'cunctipotent' - cunt magik (all-powerful), cunning, kenning and ken.
In the old days, bloodlines were traced through the female side of the family, as that was the most reliable way of discerning parentage, and the word 'kin' meant not only matrilineal blood relation, but a cleft or crevice, like a genital opening. In China children were considered to be born of their mothers only and having no relation to the father, the name also applied to them.
Western transcribers of ancient texts were shocked to find that the term 'cunt' was synonymous with 'women', but what they did not realise was that the term was not being used as an insult, rather an acknowledgement of the divine power and life-giving ability they bore. Scholars from the Medievals Ages onwards were embarrassed by sacred places, and female genitalia shrines identified with the word 'cunt', failing to understand it's original meaning, and labelled these sacred places as the devilish cunts - 'cunnus diaboli'. This attitude is highly suggestive it was Western society and it's revulsion of all things female which turned the word into something obscene and nasty.
Modern feminists are in the process of reclaiming the word and using it with the spirit and soul of it's original meaning. Slogans declaring 'I love my Cunt' are not unusual, and with the publication of Inga Muscio's book 'Cunt', the divine nature and power inherent in the word is beginning to overtake its negative connotations.

however I don't suggest anyone go around calling others a cunt http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Shimarisu
Jun 1, 2003, 07:51 AM
Heheh, that was fascinating.

The one *I* can't get over is the inability to say 'idiot'.

- Shimarisu

LamerPanda
Jun 1, 2003, 09:15 AM
You can't say "male prostitute" in Spanish. ;_;

Strangely enough, "Oh, Dios!" is the word select option for "Oh, shoot!" in Spanish. I tried typing it out and ended up with "Oh, @#$%!". o_O; Hm, is "God" censored in English?

Part of "basement" gets censored out, which is bad if I decided I wanted to go eat pork in the basement.

Urscumug
Jun 1, 2003, 10:14 AM
Btw, the word "ano" is propably cencored because it is a plural or something fronm the latin word "anus"...

neotoys
Jun 1, 2003, 10:56 AM
On 2003-06-01 07:15, LamerPanda wrote:
You can't say "male prostitute" in Spanish. ;_;

Strangely enough, "Oh, Dios!" is the word select option for "Oh, shoot!" in Spanish. I tried typing it out and ended up with "Oh, @#$%!". o_O; Hm, is "God" censored in English?

Part of "basement" gets censored out, which is bad if I decided I wanted to go eat pork in the basement.

Yup god is also censored in english. And if im not mistaken so is dagon (ice staff:dagon) for some crazy reason.

Logical2u
Jun 1, 2003, 11:01 AM
Why doesnt it censor those people who put the weird foriegn letters in their autophrases?

MisoSoup
Jun 1, 2003, 01:09 PM
"Cola" was censored on the DC, I think it still is on the XBox. It censors "hate" from your guild card, even though it's in word select. I've noticed a few words censored that NPCs actually say in the single player. Go ST.

MisoSoup
Jun 1, 2003, 01:10 PM
"Cola" was censored on the DC, I think it still is on the XBox. It censors "hate" from your guild card, even though it's in word select. I've noticed a few words censored that NPCs actually say in the single player. Go ST.

Auracom
Jun 1, 2003, 01:20 PM
its kinda funny cause they didn't censor pansy...

I can call enemies pansies all want, muwahaha

Muku6
Jun 1, 2003, 01:33 PM
Yea, well even if "ano" is plural for anus, why make a weapon with "Ano" in it? O_o "Yea! I got me a Butt Rifle right here!"

So, anyways, ST and their censoring sucks. Especially when it censors out "unmentionable words" in like Ano Rifle and Frozen Shooter, or any other decent word.

I wish there was a way to turn off the censoring. Of course it would be 18 or over that would more than likely have access if something like this existed, but I'd turn it off. It's more annoying than it is helpful. Plus the way they have it implemented and working just really ticks me off. They did half arsed job of it.

Robantifast
Jun 1, 2003, 01:34 PM
uhm..."god" isn't censored I just said it...haha but "cola" being censored...that's just ridiculous. "dago" is censored from ice staff: dagon

DarkShinjaru
Jun 1, 2003, 02:00 PM
I'm pretty sure they dont censor in offline..so how can NPCs have censored words?

Monomate
Jun 1, 2003, 02:03 PM
is arse censored?

Benoit
Jun 1, 2003, 02:24 PM
Yup, the "ars" part is. Just fits a part of what I was going to say.

It can be annoying when you are typing in Dutch someone. "hoe" means "how" in Dutch, so we always have to use spaces when we say it. Also, when we want to say "waarschijnlijk", which means "probably", the "ars" part gets censored. Really annoying.

But you know what? I can say "verdomme!"("dammit!") all I want! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

DarkShinjaru
Jun 1, 2003, 02:47 PM
dammit itself itsn't censored, as far as I know, but damnit/ damn it is lol. Me fail english? That's unpossible.

Reenee
Jun 1, 2003, 02:53 PM
On 2003-06-01 11:34, Robantifast wrote:
uhm..."god" isn't censored I just said it...haha but "cola" being censored...that's just ridiculous. "dago" is censored from ice staff: dagon

Cola means tail in spanish... o.o;;

MisoSoup
Jun 1, 2003, 03:59 PM
I didn't say that it was censored when the NPC's said it. I said they say things that ST censors you for if you try and say it online. Reading comprehension.

Mazarin
Jun 2, 2003, 12:19 AM
All the censoring in the world dosen't help the fact that I HATE LOBBYS IN PSOX.

"You're a XXXXX"
"Well you're a XXXXX"
"You XXXXX your mother's XXXXX"

And so fourth. I spend just enough time to make sure I've got the right names and send them to ST, if that actually does anything.

Tallywhacker
Jun 2, 2003, 12:44 AM
I don't know if ST even bothers to look at all the complaints or feedback or any of that junk.

My old friend wanted to see if you really could get banned, so he made an account just to start harassing people. Everyone started saying they were giving him bad feedback, and it's been like two weeks.. oh well.

primer567
Jun 2, 2003, 06:52 AM
There is always a away to beat the system, I have one of my characters named Huge/Ass++.

Zuna
Jun 2, 2003, 09:31 AM
Cul means 'butt" in french..even they censor 'douche' which means shower in french (dont know why???)

and you can say 'k' or "kk' but not 'kkk' but you can say 'kkkk'

frozen shooter is a good example lol why they censor it making us so inconvience to trade LOL

locutus
Jun 2, 2003, 10:46 AM
just wondering, why does it censor marica?

Captain_Dude
Jun 3, 2003, 05:16 AM
I'm going to try various Tuvan and Mongolian words... Maybe they even censor Khoomei. That would be a hoot and a half for me.

Nai_Calus
Jun 3, 2003, 05:54 AM
A douche in English is something some women use to cleanse their vaginas. It's also sometimes used as an insult. Still stupid to censor it.

Kildin
Jun 3, 2003, 05:58 AM
ROFL !

Cul and Bite are censored because in french...

Cul means : ass

and bite : dick

that's why hehe

rena-ko
Jun 3, 2003, 06:18 AM
hm... kkk is censored because of kukluks klan (or how this is written..)...

marica is ... spanish for .. fag or something like that...

and it really ticks me off to be not allowed to say... 'dekimashita' - because of the shit in it... that goes for all other japanese romaji-written words in past-form.
i cant even say... 'ano... sumimasen' (like... 'um... excuse me' in japanese...)... hm.. i think i'll make a hiragana shortcut today...

Captain_Dude
Jun 3, 2003, 06:40 AM
On 2003-06-03 04:18, rena-ko wrote:
hm... kkk is censored because of kukluks klan (or how this is written..)...

marica is ... spanish for .. fag or something like that...

and it really ticks me off to be not allowed to say... 'dekimashita' - because of the shit in it... that goes for all other japanese romaji-written words in past-form.
i cant even say... 'ano... sumimasen' (like... 'um... excuse me' in japanese...)... hm.. i think i'll make a hiragana shortcut today...

That must be irritating... And overuse of the ellipsis is MY idiosyncrasy, I calimed it ages ago...

Dime
Jun 3, 2003, 06:45 AM

... ... ... ... ... ... ...

I like saying bullshit in mail.

AppieDPC
Jun 3, 2003, 07:14 AM
On 2003-06-01 12:24, Benoit wrote:
Yup, the "ars" part is. Just fits a part of what I was going to say.

It can be annoying when you are typing in Dutch someone. "hoe" means "how" in Dutch, so we always have to use spaces when we say it. Also, when we want to say "waarschijnlijk", which means "probably", the "ars" part gets censored. Really annoying.

But you know what? I can say "verdomme!"("dammit!") all I want! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Yea gotta love dutch (from holland myself)
Other words that r censored
"Prik" (dunno what it means but when ya say in dutch "glaasje prik" u mean a glass of soda http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif)
"Hure" (german 4 whore) This u could even use as ur name at least on v2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif Was funny when ppl didnt know it meant whore lol and saw the censor all of the sudden http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
I used 2 know more but 4got http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

locutus
Jun 3, 2003, 02:29 PM
prik in english is a slang word for penis, it is also used as an insult.

told a couple of friends of mine about how it censors (or doesn't) the word "masturbate," and their response was "lmao."

Shimarisu
Jun 3, 2003, 02:56 PM
ano, sumimasenn ga, nihonjinn no romaji ha amerikajinn to igirisu jinn no romaji yori tigau to sitte imasen ka?

(Er, excuse my saying this but, don't you know that Japanese romanisation differs from the romanisations of Americans or English people?*)

You can speak to Japanese people in romaji fine without getting censored. You just need to learn how they input it into their word processors.

shi = si
nn = n (character on its own)
fu = hu
chi = ti
wa (particle) = ha

There are other differences, those are the main ones. nn is often just n, but if you want to enter it properly on a word processor (OR on PSO) you have to type nn to tell the computer that it's n on its own and not na, ni etc. So in recent years Japanese people have started using 'nn' as the romanisation.
Your best bet (If you can read Japanese) is to just do what I do, play constantly in Japanese mode and that way you can type in either language. Use your own romanisations on the input (either American style or Japanese style will work - I use Japanese style these days as it's quicker to type), and press space for hiragana. But don't forget double n for the single consonent n, or typing 'ha' to get wa as a particle. Or if you're using roman text, type site instead of shite and you won't get censored.

Much easier that way.

*Don't mean this to sound sarcastic, just how the (completely innocent) Japanese translates.

- Simarisu (er, Shimarisu)

Lman90245
Jun 3, 2003, 03:03 PM
On 2003-06-01 08:14, Urscumug wrote:
Btw, the word "ano" is propably cencored because it is a plural or something fronm the latin word "anus"...

well they should have thought of that before they put a weapon named ANO RIFLE in the game eh? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

Lman90245
Jun 3, 2003, 03:05 PM
Jack-ass is uncensored... with the "-" lol

Rated_Lexxx
Jun 3, 2003, 07:53 PM
Someone was telling me and I haven't tried this so I don't know if its true but they tried ptting bill gates on the xbox version and it said something like do event hink about using that name