PDA

View Full Version : Does PSO ever get brand new items?

TR3NT
Jun 1, 2003, 02:16 PM
Having never played the DC or GCN versions, I was wondering something. Outside of the unlocked/unavailible items, does Sonic Team ever add brand-new items to PSO?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TR3NT on 2003-06-01 14:49 ]</font>

DarkShinjaru
Jun 1, 2003, 02:21 PM
I'm thinking all items are stored on the cd and playing online quests enables them to be achieved.

LegendaryMage
Jun 1, 2003, 02:21 PM
I belive its primarily just having the items univailable until they are unlocked like you said.

Guntz348
Jun 1, 2003, 02:47 PM
All items are stored on the CD. PSO doesn't support patches or version updates that can add new weapons and items into the game. Too bad though, it would be really cool if it could.

Barubary6
Jun 1, 2003, 02:51 PM
On 2003-06-01 12:47, Guntz348 wrote:
All items are stored on the CD. PSO doesn't support patches or version updates that can add new weapons and items into the game. Too bad though, it would be really cool if it could.

Actually, you could add items like that, but you wouldn't want to - the patches get cleared when the game turns off.

-- Barubary

TR3NT
Jun 1, 2003, 04:16 PM
That's too bad. I asked only becuase I heard MechAssault added new levels and a new gameplay type (Capture the Flag). I was hoping this was something planned for PSO as well.

Jack
Jun 2, 2003, 03:52 AM
On 2003-06-01 12:51, Barubary6 wrote:
Actually, you could add items like that, but you wouldn't want to - the patches get cleared when the game turns off.

-- Barubary

There's one thing I was thinking about - the system file on GC PSO. DC PSO never had one, with the options being stored in the character file. One would assume this is the same case on the GC, so what exactly does the system file do? Could it theoretically store patches?

rena-ko
Jun 2, 2003, 04:14 AM
well, the system file stores basic info - your options, your pin, password and hunters licence info i guess.
a patch that changes a number somewhere (for example corrects the exp for gibbles offline on ultimate...) would be kinda small and maybe not even noticeable.

but adding a new weapon would require a wireframe, textures, maybe sound, maybe an animation set, a tekker picture, info etc.

also, as far as i know, all enemies allready have their rare drops... so who shall drop it?

then, a patchfile would require the game to look for patch files in the first place, or its useless.
then that file would be like a second little program and could be cracked, looked at via an hex editor and maybe used to add selfmade-cheat-"patches" to the game.

Malkavian
Jun 2, 2003, 10:48 AM
Why look that?

I mean only with the unlockable stuff is impressive. There are already a big amount of items that werent available when the game came out. And they wouldnt be better if they could make them new without creating them before.

We have new stuff right? Why look where it comes from? it doeasn't make them worse.

And they could add capture the flag battle rule. Well actually the meseta ones are very similar to that.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Malkavian on 2003-06-02 08:49 ]</font>

Jack
Jun 2, 2003, 12:36 PM
On 2003-06-02 02:14, rena-ko wrote:
then, a patchfile would require the game to look for patch files in the first place, or its useless.

It might do already. The game doesn't like it if the system file is missing, but it doesn't mind the guild card file if it's gone.