PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite fighting game?

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 1, 2003, 04:56 PM
I'mma hardcore Tekken fan.......but Virtua Fighter 4 took my favoritism away. I can't wait until VF4:Evolutions hits the U.S. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif. What's yours?

Sai-Yuk
Jun 1, 2003, 04:59 PM
dead or alive 2.

dead or alive 3 wasn't as... gripping, to be honest.
my brother has plans to make me get some pack with the three dead or alive games or something.

i'd like to see him try, seeing as i'm broke most of the time.

soundgarden4ever
Jun 1, 2003, 05:00 PM
My import of SCII for GC. Its infinite in fighting style...and mildly dubbed too!

pixelate
Jun 1, 2003, 05:32 PM
Powerstone 2! I love it; it's a button-masher, but it still takes skill.

Guntz348
Jun 1, 2003, 05:40 PM
Street Fighter II Turbo:Hyper Fighting. Best fighter EVER!

DeathCheese87
Jun 1, 2003, 11:04 PM
rival schools.

once again, edge is better than you.

polishedweasel
Jun 2, 2003, 04:44 AM
I still play Marvel vs. Capcom 2 every chance I get... but I always get my ass whipped in the arcade. Stupid Dreamcast

rena-ko
Jun 2, 2003, 04:51 AM
imho...

3D:

1: virtua fighter 4, best fighting game ever (i wish i'd own a PS2)
2: soul calibur - good fighting game, good party game as well
3: dead or alive 2 - really fun to play

2D:

1: guilty gear X - awesome soundtrack
2: marvel vs. capcom 2 - i hate megaman
3: capcom vs. snk 2 - i'm not good enough yet

LegendaryMage
Jun 2, 2003, 05:24 AM
I enjoy SSBM because it actualy requires skill and you cant get lucky like in most fighting games by mashing the buttons.

Kemon
Jun 2, 2003, 10:26 AM
DOA games
mortal combat
ssbm

RavenTW
Jun 2, 2003, 10:59 AM
Soul Caliber 2, with MvC2 in second, and SSBM in third, with honorable mention to Power Stone 2.

doommachine
Jun 2, 2003, 12:07 PM
my favorite fightin game? DEAD OR ALIVE 3!!!! Fun game... nice grlz...

Vanango
Jun 2, 2003, 12:55 PM
Street Fighter II Turbo!!!

Either that or that 2 player vs Mario that you could play on NES

Nidarrock
Jun 2, 2003, 12:57 PM
I'll follow rena-ko's example, since they are different.

3D:
Soul Blade (first and still the best)
DOA 2: Hardcore

2D:
Eternal Champions: CFtDS (Sega CD...goriest game I've played!)
Marvel vs Capcom 2
Super Street Fighter II: Turbo

Robomonke
Jun 2, 2003, 02:55 PM
1. Marvel vs. Capcom 2

2.Super Smash Bros Melee

3.Soul Calibur 2

Captain_Dude
Jun 2, 2003, 03:33 PM
Favorite Fighting games...

Dead or Alive 3 (Which is the only one I've played...)
Guilty Gear X
and of course, what I expect not to be mentioned much in this thread, Thrill Kill!

Thrill Kill was like the first game to have 4 players fighting at once, and it was MUCH more violent than Mortal Kombat could EVER be... Soo good...*Still remembers the first time he killed a guy by throwing a lit match on him, and the first time he used the "Blowjob Thrill Kill"*

NekoHikari
Jun 2, 2003, 06:38 PM
Killer Instinct.

That was, and probably will be the best fighting game ever made. I can remember doing some insane combos, some that were so long I could walk away from the machine and watch as my opponent was frantically trying to break it.

CCCCCOMBO BREAKER!!!!

Those were the days...

MasterJoel
Jun 2, 2003, 08:10 PM
i really enjoyed super smash brothers melee, and of course, battle arena toshinden. whiplash spin!

mystic_knight
Jun 2, 2003, 10:32 PM
1. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Even though Frosty thoughly beat my ass in it to day, I guess he had to make up for the day I beat him 12 to 3.)

2. Soul Calibur 2 (GCN)

3. Virtua Fighter 4 (Must....be...grand....master)

Vitamin_D
Jun 3, 2003, 01:13 AM
Capcom VS SNK 2...duh! Especially since I'm playing it online now, using my friends X Box. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Kid_Icarus
Jun 3, 2003, 02:34 AM
2D:
X-men Vs. Street Fighter (Saturn Import)
Marvel Vs. Capcom

3D:

Soul Caliber

Dhylec
Jun 3, 2003, 11:30 AM
svc2, mvc, sfa3, sc1 [soon 2b sc2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif]

RuneLateralus
Jun 3, 2003, 01:19 PM
2D:
Samurai Showdown
X-Men vs Street Fighter
King of the Fighters 98

3D:
Soul Caliber
Soul Caliber II
Dead or Alive II

I like old school 2D fighters more. Never really cared for too many 3D fighters

Sagasu
Jun 3, 2003, 02:33 PM
1:Soul Calibur 2
2:SSBM
3:Capcom vs. SNK2

These are cool wid me, I really am either playin PSO or writing, but when I play a fighting game, its usually one of these three.

ABDUR101
Jun 3, 2003, 02:56 PM
Aye, way too many to list.

3D:
DOA2 and DOA3
Soul Calibur

2D:
Capcom vs SNK (any of them)
Any of the Street Fighter series, mainly because it was the catalyst that threw my brother into quite afew day and night long tournaments with each other.(Not to mention me getting punched after every win for supposedly cheating o_O... )
Guilty Gear X(tried to import this game for soooo long..and then they release GGX2 on the PS2 x_X )

I can't do justive to all of my favs. ,_,

*edit*
...I missed one damn letter.. >=|

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-06-03 12:58 ]</font>

polishedweasel
Jun 3, 2003, 03:43 PM
On 2003-06-03 09:30, Dhylec wrote:
svc2, mvc, sfa3, sc1 [soon 2b sc2 http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif]

Oh...the acronyms...they're blinding me....
what's svc2?(capcom vs snk 2?)

CajunSamurai
Jun 3, 2003, 11:00 PM
Soul Calibur and Guilty Gear X2 pwn (pronounced "poon") my soul.
Although generally I'm not too much a fighting game freak...
I've always disliked Virtua Fighter for various reasons though, such as its floating jumping (in VF1 and 2), HIDEOUS generic characters and, for lack of a better term, "craptastic" muzak. That said, VF4 was pretty cool, but still definitely not my kinda game.
I absolutely LOVE GGX2 though... Absolutely gorgeous style and designs, lightning fast gameplay, and just generally TOTALLY screwed up (in the best way possible, of course).

Kent
Jun 4, 2003, 04:57 AM
Killer Instinct Gold, Dead or Alive 3, and SSBM are my favorites.

*Super Combo Breaker, Dragon Endokuken*

jediknight007
Jun 4, 2003, 08:32 AM
Any Street Fighter game for me, especially the Alpha series. I just love 'getting into there' and 'combo' them up. 2D but I think fighting games are better that way. No way you can do a proper 3D fighting game. That would feel wierd. Also like Soul Calibur on the DC and can't wait for Soul Calibur 2 for the GC. In my opinion (and I say that again, in my opinion!), it's so much better than Tekken and Virtua Fighter. With those side-scrolling fighting games, my best is Streets of Rage 2. Fantastic graphics and sound back then.

SinkNoodles
Jun 6, 2003, 12:22 AM
-mvc2
-cvsnk2
-ggx2
-project justice
i could go on and on but i love fighters in general. mostly 2D.

Murky_Death
Jun 6, 2003, 12:48 AM
On 2003-06-01 15:00, soundgarden4ever wrote:
My import of SCII for GC. Its infinite in fighting style...and mildly dubbed too!

dude soul calibur II is the SHIT. that game rocks. i've got the imported version too. it won't let me save though which sucks. i guess b/c it's japanese.

SuzukaCC
Jun 6, 2003, 01:04 AM
Fav fighting games.

1) Capcom vs SNK 2 (i just love that game)
2) super smash bros 2 (it's alight with 3 friends i guess)
3) Soul Calibur DC (gonna get the GC ver soon!)
4) Rival Schools 1,2 (got I love that game!)

And just to say it I hate Marvel VS Capcom 2 I hate it i hate it i hate it. But I love Xmen vs Streetfighter and Marvel superheros vs Streetfighter weird eh. =^_^=

Mazarin
Jun 6, 2003, 03:55 AM
I'm a doujin fighting man. Melty Blood rawks.

But for 2D, it's GGX, and 3D it's between DOA series and Soul Calibur series.

Captain_Dude
Jun 6, 2003, 04:02 AM
Dammir! Someone say Thrill Kill! It was like the funnest game ever...

I remember like me homie John (now my guitarist) would gather round my PSX with my (then working) Game Enhancer (ph33r lousy exterior Modchip, 0wn2), and we'd play Thrill Kill all day! Shouts of "Haha, I put my stilt through your head!" or "Oooh, I rammed my cattle prod down your throat and electrocuted you!" could be heard throughtout the house.

I don't like being the ONLY person in this thread who said 'Thrill Kill'!

Mazarin
Jun 6, 2003, 09:00 AM
Ok, I admit. I still have my Thrill Kill.

It's a regular CD w/ "Thrill to Kill" on it in green w/ some Chinese. This one dosen't have any intro or ending movies. But it was still a riot to play. Not my favorite, but still a conversation peice.

But you can't beat Pimp Imp.

Ness
Jun 6, 2003, 09:49 AM
Smash Brother's Melee or DOA3

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 6, 2003, 08:46 PM
On 2003-06-02 20:32, mystic_knight wrote:
1. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Even though Frosty thoughly beat my ass in it to day, I guess he had to make up for the day I beat him 12 to 3.)

2. Soul Calibur 2 (GCN)

3. Virtua Fighter 4 (Must....be...grand....master)

Lol I guess we both have our good and bad days. I'd say split down the middle we both have our days when we beat each other 15-1.

RoninJoku
Jun 7, 2003, 02:23 AM
Guilty Gear all the way

Guntz348
Jun 7, 2003, 02:38 AM
Does anyone else remeber the game "Time Killers"? It was the ultimate in the 'lets rip off MK and have a blood and gore fest' fighting games catagorey. I remember it had a guy with a chainsaw and a knight, bunch of other guys too. Such a craptacular game though, I'll never forget it's fight-start voice over, "Time killers... ENGAGE!"

Crapulance at it's very best.

Captain_Dude
Jun 7, 2003, 03:15 AM
On 2003-06-06 07:00, Mazarin wrote:
Ok, I admit. I still have my Thrill Kill.

It's a regular CD w/ "Thrill to Kill" on it in green w/ some Chinese. This one dosen't have any intro or ending movies. But it was still a riot to play. Not my favorite, but still a conversation peice.

But you can't beat Pimp Imp.

Heh, gotta love that game. Too bad to hear you don't have any of the movies though... Some of them were quite clever. *Goes to watch the Cleetus ending movie*

MissJester
Jun 7, 2003, 11:00 AM
Darkstalkers/Vampire Savior, Dead or Alive 3, Capcom vs SNK 2, Guilty Gear XX, Marvel vs Capcom 2, and Soul Calibur 2. As you can tell, pretty much any Capcom fighter I like, because hand drawn 2D animation kicks any 3D games ass any day.

Also 2D side scrollers need to come back. I'm getting tired of this 3D crap that most game companies keep putting out.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: MissJester on 2003-06-07 09:04 ]</font>

Non-Toxic-Crayons
Jun 7, 2003, 11:18 AM
Any and all fast pace 2D fighters!!!

Moo2u
Jun 7, 2003, 11:24 AM
Soul Calibur! Deffinitly!

And once SC2 comes out, I'm buyin' it rightr away!

HotWaterDeath
Jun 8, 2003, 02:13 PM
Soul Calibur, Super Street Fighter 2, Super Smash Bros. Melee, Power Stone (1 and 2)

Vyon-Eht-Nioj
Jun 8, 2003, 03:06 PM
I am the unofficial king of Project Justice... but I also like Marvel vs Capcom, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur 2, Marvel vs SNK 1 & 2, and Powerstone 1 & 2

I know there's a lot more...

HiroTristar
Jun 8, 2003, 06:26 PM
Guilty Gear XX and Garou: Mark of the Wolves are my personal faves.. Not too much into 3D fighters, but I've got some respect for 'em, especially the DoA series and Soul Calibur.

MissJester
Jun 9, 2003, 12:50 AM
On 2003-06-08 13:06, Vyon-Eht-Nioj wrote:
I am the unofficial king of Project Justice... but I also like Marvel vs Capcom, Dead or Alive 2, Soul Calibur 2, Marvel vs SNK 1 & 2, and Powerstone 1 & 2

I could probably beat you, Mr. Unofficial King.

Yurika, Daigo, and either Tiffany, Shoma, or the Pervert looking teacher in his Matrix outfit.

Captain_Dude
Jun 9, 2003, 12:57 AM
Hehe, I had a scrapped Kuntar character for MUGEN. I was going pretty good until I realized that MUGEN is garbage, and decided to write my own damn fighting game. Heh, not only do I get to program and do the 3d design for the game, but I also get to teach myself how to program in whatever language I decide to write the game in and teach myself how to use 3D design programs. Good for me! I R Talenteded!!!

*Starts up his sub-legal copy of Maya 4.5*
*Screws around*
*Kicks computer through window*

Vyon-Eht-Nioj
Jun 9, 2003, 04:37 PM
On 2003-06-08 22:50, MissJester wrote:

On 2003-06-08 13:06, Vyon-Eht-Nioj wrote:

I could probably beat you, Mr. Unofficial King.

Yurika, Daigo, and either Tiffany, Shoma, or the Pervert looking teacher in his Matrix outfit.

I'd so love that game to be online http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

You've got a good selection there... You must be good because Yurika is not really a favorite, but she's definately evil with a good player... Daigo and Tiffany definately aren't problems http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ... Shoma, on the other hand...

I use Momo, Roberto, and either Zaki, Kyoto, Daigo or a random select http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Ghaleon
Jun 10, 2003, 06:47 AM
ive always like super smash brothers melee lol

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 11, 2003, 06:44 AM
Just pre-ordered Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution!

MissJester
Jun 11, 2003, 09:09 AM
I love Yurika, I just think she is a cool character, with nice combos. Maybe the next Rival Schools will have an online feature, the boardgame would be cool, in english, online. It was very hard to play that board game in Japanese, you dont know if you are pissing someone off or what moves you have.

I got pissed at Virtua Fighter 4, it made me break a PS2 controller. In the Kumite mode Akira (main character bastard) became a god. No matter what I did, he countered it, or hit me a split second before I hit him. I was way up on the Kumite ladder though, that could be the reason. I think after about an hour or 2 of fighting only him, I got fustrated, and threw the controller down, and it shattered. I never have found the L1 button. Stupid VF 4.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 11, 2003, 11:36 PM
Virtua Fighter 4 isn't just a game you can pick up and learn in 5 minutes, that's why it's my favorite game now. If you want to do good in Kumite mode you have to actually practice float moves, throws, and combos. A lot of people don't like it because they're used to Tekken where all you have to do in a lot of cases is tap random buttons to win (I'm a huge Tekken fan as well). VF4 is just so much more technical, but not technical to the point where you can counter every single move, i.e. DOA series. Once you actually get the grasp of it, you'll easily see why everyone named it "Game of the Year".

Vitamin_D
Jun 12, 2003, 02:31 AM
On 2003-06-11 21:36, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:
Virtua Fighter 4 isn't just a game you can pick up and learn in 5 minutes, that's why it's my favorite game now. If you want to do good in Kumite mode you have to actually practice float moves, throws, and combos. A lot of people don't like it because they're used to Tekken where all you have to do in a lot of cases is tap random buttons to win (I'm a huge Tekken fan as well). VF4 is just so much more technical, but not technical to the point where you can counter every single move, i.e. DOA series. Once you actually get the grasp of it, you'll easily see why everyone named it "Game of the Year".

*Claps* That was beautiful! And yeah....I completely agree. VF4 is an amazing fighting game for it's depth and replay value. Button mashers need not apply! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Sephoris
Jun 13, 2003, 03:14 PM
The bloody roar games are the most fun because you can actually perform more moves than any other fighting games. You can also transform into a animal while fighting other people, kinda like power rangers.

mystic_knight
Jun 14, 2003, 12:48 AM
On 2003-06-11 21:36, _xX_Frosty_Xx_ wrote:

Or you can be like me, pick Kage, and throw people over short walls, a tactic Frosty knows ALL too well. You people should see the face he makes when I throw him out.

_xX_Frosty_Xx_
Jun 14, 2003, 01:29 AM
Cheap bastard.....that's the ONE thing I'm bad at; throw escapes.

*goes to practice on throw excapes*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: _xX_Frosty_Xx_ on 2003-06-13 23:31 ]</font>

mystic_knight
Jun 14, 2003, 11:39 AM
Mwahaha! My cheapness is uber 1337!

Monomate
Jun 14, 2003, 08:44 PM
the original Super Smash Bros. (it was just so completely different from all the other games of that time, that's why it's better than SSBM).

Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance (well...any MK game for that matter)

Soul Calibur 2 (woohoo!!!!)

Kizaragu
Jun 15, 2003, 12:33 PM
VF4's definetely my Favourite. It was the first Fighting Game I'd played recently that gave Me some of self satisfaction.
This was because seeing as I've spent hours Beefing up My Character (Sarah by the Way) and learning all her moves I am able to kick my Big headed Friends into the Ground! Your Button Bashing Tactics wont work here my Friend! Mwahaha!

It's one of the Few games your not going to be afraid of getting your Ass kicked by some Noob who'd then rub it your my face claiming they were better than you. As long as you know what your doing they stand no chance at all.

That said I do love Tekken, DOA etc. but it's just too easy for someone to button bash or keep move repeating