PDA

View Full Version : Unreal tournament 2k3 question

soundgarden4ever
Jun 2, 2003, 10:14 AM
Will UT2K3 work well with a joystick? It seem mosty keyboard.

Kemon
Jun 2, 2003, 10:16 AM
2k3 ??!?!?!?!?!

what? i dont know

soundgarden4ever
Jun 2, 2003, 10:45 AM
...then shut up!

Kemon
Jun 2, 2003, 10:49 AM
naa im just fine

Zhuzhen
Jun 2, 2003, 10:53 AM
If I recall, you can set it up that way. As to why you would want to is beyond me. FPS games should be played with WASD and nothing but, god damnit.

RuneLateralus
Jun 2, 2003, 12:43 PM
W - moves you foward
A - moves you left
S - moves you backward
D - moves you right

It is the default control setting for FPS's these days and it is one of the more comfortable settings to. You really should try that before a joystick.

soundgarden4ever
Jun 2, 2003, 03:36 PM
sigh. I hate playing MWM on my keyboard but the JS isnt really better. Is it really that hard to play with the joystick? Do you need really good keyboard skills to be able to play well? The demo i played on jsut the kb was hard as i had to aim the the mouse.
If ne1 has a great layout that works for them write it on this tread!

Zhuzhen
Jun 2, 2003, 11:57 PM
Using the WASD (default controls, yes) mixed with the mouse will give you the most accurate/easiest aiming setup for all FPS's. I have a few friends who play CS with the arrow keys but I myself can't stand those.

X-thirteen
Jun 3, 2003, 01:14 AM
pc first person shooters were meant to be played with mouse and keyboard.
why bother with a joystick or a controller when you have total control with mouse and keyboard?

but to answer your question, im sure you can configure the controls to your liking with a controller that is compatible.

soundgarden4ever
Jun 3, 2003, 08:58 AM
ok...

Chibi-Chan
Jun 3, 2003, 09:04 AM
I have to agree with the people who've been posting. I play CounterStrike. The keyboard and mouse configuration is perfect. The problem with using a joystick is that you are tilting something until the crosshairs or whatever gets where you want it. This means you have to guess exactly when to stop tilting. The mouse makes it so you just point to where you want to shoot, assuming you have the sensitivity set high enough. Also, the position of your fingers on WASD allows you to easily reach other keys which can be used for secondary actions. Like space for jumping, control for ducking, other letters for switching between weapons and whatnot. After you get used to it trust me, it will become so easy it will be hard to use joystick for those games.

soundgarden4ever
Jun 3, 2003, 09:31 AM
What about jumping and scoping and doing all the seconary modes and changing weapons...?

ABDUR101
Jun 3, 2003, 10:30 AM
You setup the keyboard controls with keys that you can easily remember and that are easily reached.

For all of my FPS-esque games, I use the arrow keys for movement, because I go by touch without looking at the keyboard, so I need to know I'm pushing the right key without having to take that split second to look all the time.

Since I move with the arrow keys, I need to have other keys that are frequently accessed nearby. Control for crouching, Shift for jumping [ and] for inventory, ; and ' for something specific. Enter key or Numpad 0/Insert key for using inventory, Insert and Delete or Page Up/Page Down for zooming(unless it's a secondary firing mode for most sniper rifles, in which case it will be on the right mouse button), R for reloading, etc.

We could give you thousands of different control schemes and styles that we all use, but really, they are all worked down through how we each individually play. Some people know the layout of the keyboard like the back of their hand and don't need to look, others don't know their P key from their D key, so have to frequently look to get their bearings to press something, some people sit akwardly or don't have the keyboard and mouse within easy access, so they might have to reach far for it or they might be too close, it alllll comes down to you, your hardware and desk setup, and how you play.

soundgarden4ever
Jun 3, 2003, 10:34 AM
Thanks

soundgarden4ever
Jun 4, 2003, 09:27 AM
Thanks the asdw works well and so does the mouse. Abdur's advice....didnt help much though! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_eek.gif

Zhuzhen
Jun 4, 2003, 08:18 PM
Well, what I suggest for a game that has a lot of crouching (see: counter-strike) is, assuming you have a 3 button+ mouse, set the right mouse button to crouch and the middle button to the secondary fire. It improved my CS skill by 3 fold.

SoUnDgArDeN4LiFe
Jun 4, 2003, 08:24 PM
u mean the half-life counterstrike?

Zhuzhen
Jun 4, 2003, 09:12 PM
I don't know of any other, so yes.

Kent
Jun 5, 2003, 09:39 PM
Ever since Tribes 2, I've never gotten away from the ESDF keys for movement. In other games, I have left Control set to crouch and left Shift set to run/walk, R set to reload or use/activate and Q for healing item (where applicable). I don't know about the craptastic game that is UT2K3 (the game sucks too much for me to want to test it), but this setup works well for practically every other FPS game I've played (and even non-FPS games with very similar-styled control schemes, like Freelancer).