PDA

View Full Version : My rare theory compiled from reading/discussions/playing

Alcuin
Jun 4, 2003, 03:43 AM
Firstly, there is very little hard evidence to back any of this up. However, I think it is much more logical than the plethora of nonsense being perpetuated by superstitious fools and wild rumor mills. This might be all old news to the elite players who know inside scoops and are not telling. Still, it might be helpful to the rest of us.

Facts WE KNOW ARE TRUE:

1. A number is associated with each TYPE of rare. This number somehow relates to how rare the item actually is. (Post in forums)

2. Every monster has an associated per cent chance that any item will drop at all. (Taken from PSOW info)

3. % Photon add to weapons is based upon 6 variations which are randomly decided upon creation of the game. This variation will fix the chances for all of the photon % adds. Certain variations allow you to find weapons with 90% and 100%. Others DO NOT. Beyond that it is assumed that the game then operates based on these chances regardless of time, date, whether you are rubbing your tummy or have luck materials or whatever. (Taken from PSOW info).

4. Everyone has experienced what they think are "hot times" where numerous rares may drop. I've even had up to four rares drop in one room of mines ALONE. People then ASSUME these are "hot times" and if they came back at that beat time that they would get rares. Their experiences, however, are NOT confirmation. The conclusion that beat time is related is a FALLACY OF LOGIC.

My theory. I'm beginning to believe the number associated with each TYPE of rare is somewhat similar to a percentage add on the photon efficiency. In other words, you would consider it very rare to find a 100% add on something like Natives. In the same way, a psycho wand may have a number that makes it equally as rare. So when you start the game, it calculates what frequency is associated with each rare based upon the number that rare is attached to. EXACTLY like the photon percents are. In other words, certain games that are started may give you 0% CHANCE OF GETTING A PSYCHO WAND or any other very rare item. Perhaps certain versions provide small percent chances of obtaining those items. Once in the game, all calculations are based upon that set frequency. The next calculation is when the monster dies. This will be the calculation of whether an item drops at all! Once that is calculated, the next thing it calculates is whether it will drop the rare item that particular monster drops based upon the percentage set upon creating the game. There is no beat time this is based upon. There is no luck material or luck items that this is based upon. There is nothing but a set series of calculations associated with the initial numbers given upon creating the game.

If you are in a game where NO rares seem to be dropping... not even booma's claws or whatever item your section id drops a lot of, you may consider recreating the game. See if you can reset the version. Those people who seem to find rares dropping all over are simply in a better version. They are not at a hot time. They do not have higher levels of luck.

If you think about it this makes sense. We already know that Sonic Team made frequencies of photon %s based upon starting the game. Why not rares? We know that it would be more intelligent to do it this way, because the number of games created is much smaller than the number of monsters killed. Therefore, in a large community of people where thousands of people are all killing monsters (ie throwing the dice), you can still maintain the rareness of the item if only 5-10% of those thousand are actually provided any chance of rolling the dice for a psycho wand to begin with. We also know that they use section ids at the creation of the game to set the chances of what items drop. In the end I think my theory is the most realistic.

Sorry beat time hunters. Sorry luck material psychos. Your only chance of finding rares is to play, recreate, and play again. Do a run. Leave. Do a run again. Etc.

Deus-Irae
Jun 4, 2003, 04:19 AM
i agree with most of your post and the last sentance completely! (edit: well im not positive that you NEED to recreate to change the drop rate. but it sounds good!)

beat time is a HUGE waste of time (many people including myself firmly believe this), and luck mat theories are just silly.

questions:

-how do we know that ST implemented the % drop rate at the creation of a game?

-when playing offline- according to your theory - would this system work every time you loaded a character? what about after completeting an offline quest (when the levels reset...)?

the theory does make good sense though!

i have been through Yellowboze game Forest through Ruins with few to NO drops.

and it does seem that calculating what is gonna drop every time a monster dies would be a bit much...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Deus-Irae on 2003-06-04 02:21 ]</font>

Alcuin
Jun 4, 2003, 05:01 AM
Well, I do need a correction/clarification. It determines photon %s at the first item drop according to PSOW. For me it changes little. I'm doing an offline ruins run with fairly strong certainty that it is a Pattern 5 of the photon % patterns. As far as the offline, most people seem to strongly agree (especially the hardcore gamers... even one from Japan I talked to) that the offline chances are better for finding rares. So there you have even more confirmation... it's the initial game formation that sets the percentage patterns for items. If you start an offline game, it uses different percentages (according to my theory) than when it starts an online game.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Alcuin on 2003-06-04 03:03 ]</font>

Malkavian
Jun 4, 2003, 08:59 AM
yeah I think this is pretty accurate. But Im not 100% sure of it.
Is true that more than hot times there are hot runs. But possibly beat time is used to generate the random pattern. That's why in the excavation reports starting beat is noted. To see if there is a relation.

kingmurp
Jun 4, 2003, 09:34 AM
Just kinda a random thing i've noticed whenever you kill a chaos bringer/ whatever/ he usually drops something per the color he is.

Dhylec
Jun 4, 2003, 10:36 AM
hey a new theory!
it's nice that ppl try to find ways to conquer the game's item system.. it adds life & excitement to pso's boring item hunting runs
but i'll just let the game runs it course..
if i can find any cute red boxes in a run or 2 i'm happy.. if none i'l run some more http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
gcpso is a lot more generous than dcv2!

NeoPhatnutz
Jun 4, 2003, 11:50 AM
This could really be something. It does make sense for me.

I still believe in the Beat Time for Rare monsters, but this might make more sense for Rares than the beat theory...

I was also looking at the Rare Beat time guide in Gamefaqs. Another theory suggested there that the more gametime played within a character, the more chance you have of finding a rare.

Say you're starting off a character, in hopes of getting those S-Red's Blades from Sinow Red. At the beginning, you'd have virtually no chance of getting it when you first enter the Ultimate Mines, but then the theory spawns into something like this: There is a base percent chance of an enemy dropping it's rare. (I'm just making up numbers at this point) But lets say for every 700 beats you spent in total time in the Mines with a Skyly, or 400 Beats in there with an Oran, the percentage on some items can actually grow. Eventually, the chance will grow to a still small percent, but hardly the virtually unobtainable chance it was before. This makes it easier for higher-level players to find these things in the long run. Kinda makes sense, keeping the Treasure hunting power shifted in those with the most experience.

But I do see your point in game varying in how often you can find stuff. I was playing with a Yellowboze a few days ago online on Vhard Forest. We found FIVE enemy parts by the time we got to the boss: 2 GigoBoomas Right Arms, Hildebears Head, and 2 Rappy's Wings. Oh yeah, we found two Addslots late in the stage, too. All of these events took place over such a long period of time that a "Rare Shift" semeed unlikely, and that another factor was behind the lucky streak. This could very well be it.

Remember everyone, I seriously doubt that we can just pin down a factor on one thing. There can be multiple systems behind the scenes running everything.

So here's a new Idea that I have. Everyone listen up.

Do some Forest Runs. Some Rares are fairly common, but everyone knows that you won't see a Rare EVERY run through. Rares through boxes are fairly common, but a stronger indication that you wanna look for is an enemy to drop a Rare. Not the hard to find ones, just the simple ones that the basic enemies drop. Say, an L&K14 COMBAT from Bartle or GUILTY LIGHT from Barble. These basically ignored Rares now may have significance. From what this guy says, if they drop something, you could be on a good variation. If an enemy drops a Rare not long into the area, you could be on a really good variation.

Now Beat Timers, listen up. Many of you have had success finding Hildetorrs and other Rare enemies around @666 (@665-668), among other times. And yet so many are frusterated that the Rare enemies don't always drop something. Well, This guy may have just found a good solution. Just because a Rare enemy appears DOESN'T mean that its on a good variation. If it's a bad one, the chances of getting what you wanted from them are slim to none. So make your travels through Forests, Caves, & Temples to get to a good place to pipe in and out for Rare enemies.

The Trick: Watch for any enemies to drop any Rares at all, or in boxes. If you find one before hitting your target, this is a good sign that this is a variation in your favor. Then do all you can to pipehunt the Rare enemy, cause chances are now dramatically increased that you'll find what you're looking for.

I wanna see if this works...