PDA

View Full Version : Why continue to support a game that is so buggy?

tehkao
Jun 4, 2003, 05:33 PM
I can't remember any previous game that was this riddled with fatal crash and corruption bugs. After experiencing a FSOD recently, I've decided not to put up with this anymore.

I'm going to try to get my character to lvl 80, then I'm giving away all my rares and retiring.

How do you guys do it? How do you justify continuing to play the game after experiencing corruptions/FSODs and losing a ton of rares? Why do you keep playing/supporting a game that is this buggy? How can you pay $9 a month for such a bad piece of software?

I want to ask for my money back from Sonic Team, I want to even punch them in the face for wasting hundreds of hours of my time.

Getintothegame
Jun 4, 2003, 05:35 PM
Naw, I just get used to it.
Sell items for meseta.
Play for rares.
Deposit stuff before going online/exiting a team.

If you are serous, Can I have some of your rares?

Reenee
Jun 4, 2003, 05:36 PM
Just dumb luck. The worst I've gotten was a double-save FSOD which...did nothing at all. I have gotten FSOD, but in the weirdest circumstances: a couple of times during in lobbies where there might've been only ONE user and once just after depositing items into my storage.

I'm happy with PSO.

DukeElrond
Jun 4, 2003, 05:37 PM
It's not the rares and meseta I play for.

saffaya
Jun 4, 2003, 05:43 PM
For one, I play much much less than my DC days.
I still play because of one word : monopoly.
There simply isn't yet any alternative for me.
I love the char designs and I need action in my games.
Where else can I have such things and indulge in intense co op action with Us or Jp people ?

I have tried Dark Age Of Camelot(PC MMORPG) with a free trial last year and ran away screaming in horror.
(ugly char designs and 1 mouse click combats. my taste of course)

Shining Lore is the one game coming closest to PSO, but alas, it's only in Korean and Chinese right now.

So right now, PSO is a love/hate relationship, with hate slowly gaining more ground every time I play.
I can't wait for an alternative.

Dhylec
Jun 4, 2003, 07:18 PM
i bought & played pso for dc both v1&2.. NEVER got online! still playing gcpso.. everyday offline!
never know the online world but that dont stop me
if online is buggy, play offline w/a friend..
i play alone all this time but not tired of it yet!
unlike dcv2, boring runs in gc CAN get u sumthing nice & that's what i think is inspiring me.. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
too bad ep3 isnt what i hope for http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

Lman90245
Jun 4, 2003, 08:06 PM
its a drug... DRUUUUUUUG I TELL YOU!

kat
Jun 4, 2003, 08:27 PM
Beacause despite it all, PSO is really good. Because the game is addicting, and nothing out there has been able to compare to it or match it for me.

Squall8VIII
Jun 4, 2003, 08:50 PM
I still play PSO just 'cause of the new quests each month..and also so I can play with my friends. If PSO didn't have either of these, I would've quit a long time ago. The glitchs n' stuff you can get used to..nothing's perfect ya'know...

BionicPatriot
Jun 4, 2003, 09:23 PM
Kat, I simply could not agree more. PSO thought a major bitch, is fun. Back when I picked up the DC controller and started playing it hit me, Nothing can/ever will replace PSO. Diablo 2 used to be my PSO but than PSO came out. Morrowind couldent take me away from PSO, nothing could. FF, nothing can. Im sure if we had more console RPG's it could get less addicting. But dude, Like some guy here said, It's a fucking monopoly. I sit here every day lvling my chars with XBPSO. I cant tell you how much I want some fucking quests....But dude, I am starting to thin to say, fuck you PSO. Ever since my DCPSO days sega always fucked up my sega net account, did nothing to stop hackers. etc. This PSO bullshit can only go so far before, POOF! it just crossed the line.

Delsaber
Jun 4, 2003, 10:16 PM
You ask, why support such a buggy game? I ask why not support a buggy game, that so happens to be a great game? Maybe by playing the game and reporting so of the bugs in the program, it can be improved upon and eventually become an utopia of online games. I know quiting and giving away your stuff will not solve anything. I play offline only because I lack a modem and job. I lost my 113 HUmar which had an Orotiagito, Demolition Comet and other stuff. I lost a 103 FOmar with alot of force weapons and guard waves...4 slot. My cousin lost his 84 HUcast with awesome equipment and my bros 34 RAcast. I continue to play, getting mad and giving up on such a good game will solve nothing. So, I say continue to play and support this excellent game!

GuerillaPimp
Jun 4, 2003, 10:39 PM
well to this day, ive yet to experience an FSOD, or BSOD (including my DC days). But if i do experience one, i dunno, i might not play for a while dependiing on what is lost. Now if my char gets deleted, then fuck yea, im goin down to ST and whoopin some collective lazy asses

Dime
Jun 4, 2003, 11:06 PM
Because in 2 months I havent had a single FSOD.

Frozt
Jun 4, 2003, 11:31 PM
The game is a good game infact it is addicting so when stuff like this happens , sure you get pissed but the game is so good you dont think about quitting you just keep playing and when the game is that addicting you know you know your going to play it any way so just build it back up again, if you dont want to work for it like all of us then this isent your game, heck I lost not only one of my characters I lost my whole damn memory card ,hell ya I was mad but Im not sitting here bitching about it Im just doing what I can to get back online.

ex
Jun 5, 2003, 04:10 AM
yes, after i bsoded for the first time i was pissed, lost my lv 129 humar, 112 fomar, adn 101 ramar, and a lot of good stuff, and stopped playing for awhile, but i realized to myself that it is just a game, no reason for me to get incredibly mad and throw my controller through my tv, that'll just cost more. It just gave me a chance to start all over with a clean slate. I was able to take everything i learned and used it to make better decisions with my characters. I have met a lot of really cool people while playing online and then when i started over i was able to meet more people, some new, some making new characters, and others that suffered the same fate as me. Of course, i will be the first to tell you that i hope and pray that i will not bsod anymore. If i do, i have decided to back up my items by storing them on another mem card. items you can get back. Its not the end of the world.

Jack
Jun 5, 2003, 04:38 AM
I've had one FSOD, and that was when I tried to enter Vega to go on a safari. That's the only problem I've ever had.

tehkao
Jun 5, 2003, 07:24 PM
Your point about trying to support PSO in hopes that they would fix or improve the game, doesn't really make sense, because we already KNOW that Sonic Team will NEVER fix the FSOD/BSOD bug, since ST KNEW THE BUG HAS EXISTED SINCE PSO DC, AND HAS DONE JACK ABOUT IT.

And they already said there will not be anymore PSO sequels, at least not in the style of PSO I&II. So what exactly are we hoping for them to "improve"?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tehkao on 2003-06-05 17:26 ]</font>

kat
Jun 5, 2003, 11:34 PM
okay then, can you give me another game that's in the same venue with online support and customizable characters in a cooperative multiplayer environment? Because I can't think of one, 'cause if it was out there, then I'd be playing it...

Jack
Jun 6, 2003, 03:21 AM
On 2003-06-05 17:24, tehkao wrote:
HAS DONE JACK

I should bloody hope not.

HiroTristar
Jun 6, 2003, 03:55 AM
On 2003-06-04 18:50, Squall8VIII wrote:
I still play PSO just 'cause of the new quests each month..and also so I can play with my friends. If PSO didn't have either of these, I would've quit a long time ago. The glitchs n' stuff you can get used to..nothing's perfect ya'know...

My thoughts exactly. I haven't played PSO for a long time simply because all my friends left, but just recently everyone I know's been getting back into it and I'm with 'em. I never really had any problems with bugs such as FSOD/BSOD since the v1 days back on my DC, so the possibility of that happening to me has tended to linger around in one of the darker, more ignored portions of my mind [trust me though, if it happens again I'll become mega-paranoid]. I also tend to wind up playing with the cooler and more easier-to-get-along-with folks on PSO, and in the process make a new friend. So overall speaking, I've never had any dramatically negative feelings towards PSO that would influence me to discontinue support for it... Well, eh, if I made any sense, that's my two cents for everyone.

kat
Jun 17, 2003, 03:41 PM
So... no one know of another game that lets you customize characters and play in a multiplayer cooperative online environment? 'Cause if no, then I'm glad I've got PSO

Mystil
Jun 17, 2003, 05:50 PM
On 2003-06-17 13:41, kat wrote:
So... no one know of another game that lets you customize characters and play in a multiplayer cooperative online environment? 'Cause if no, then I'm glad I've got PSO

Everquest...aka Evercrap. RO and the soon to be FFXI..

And I do not play for Rares, just to play with my friends. Heaven forbid if I lost my characters, meaning the guild card files is gone, I'd just..I donno. I get fsod out the ass, and I dc probably more than your average 56k user, and my modem is 3.5mb/s!! The servers aren't that crap, there's lag tim everywhere, but the bad is outwieghed by the good in PSO.

If this was ver1, I'd been stop playing, cause it's so lacking. But epI and II has SO MUCH to keep coming back for.

Jason
Jun 17, 2003, 06:23 PM
If my character gets deleted, I won't be playing for a very long time. I mean, restarting everything again in PSO is just too much... For the DC versions, my very first character through versions 1 and 2 had never been deleted. Not once. I've been online a lot too, experienced plenty of RSODs, FSODs, being NOLed (not auto-NOLed, with luck), and so on...

fyrewyre
Jun 17, 2003, 06:51 PM
On 2003-06-17 13:41, kat wrote:

and

okay then, can you give me another game that's in the same venue with online support and customizable characters in a cooperative multiplayer environment? Because I can't think of one, 'cause if it was out there, then I'd be playing it...

good i read this post intime. im assuming you've heard about final fantasy xi (online) i know i would get a insta-ban for giving a link os you can get on google by yourself. i havent read all the small print so i will say: Check out FFXI online if you think pso is good.

as for the person who started this thread i agree with you soooo much. i have been a legit player since this came out ..wwhat..november or december something(i just aquired a duped sealed j only for testing purposess only...no the million kill march dont work. *see Ice Spinner x10 for details) and with so many bugs i dont think i can take it anmore, i dont spend hours hunting something to get ripped of by some kid who coppied it and is trying to get a (hard earned) item off of meor getting corrupted (Lv152, 112, 110, 59) i've spend a whole day giving stuff away so if you plan on doing that you might as well pull you memorycard out while saving. im gonna get a summer job and wait for FFXI. On the upside you can always make new friends, thats the only reason im still on POS...err PSO.

(yes is th best online game out...at the moment)

tennis_guy
Jun 17, 2003, 07:15 PM
hey ive only had the game for 3 weeks. what does fsod and bsod stand for???
ANYAWAYS...my firend and i lost our characters once..like a level 60 and 30, so not too bad. I have a level 101 RAmar...and from how many people I've just heard lose there characters...im afraid to turn the game on!!! WELL not really, but id wish Sega hadnt made a game with so many bugs.

satoshi1
Jun 17, 2003, 07:28 PM
I lost my lvl 80 FOnewm a week after I first got online. I spent over 100 hours getting him that high. but now I've got a level 87 RAmar (70some hours), 66 HUmar (50 some hours) and a level 26 FOnewm (almost 10 hours). Just because you lose something isn't reason enough to give up. If you lose your girlfriend (or boyfriend), are you gonna kill yourself? No (at least we hope not), you'll take the experience and learn from it. If you get corrupted, sure, you might lose a few rares, and a ton of playing hours (you spent time with your boy/girlfriend too, hopefully more than the game) but you'll already know how to level quicker and it'll be easier to start out. Loss is part of life, you can't give up on life just because something didn't go your way.

I do agree though, the game is way too buggy, ST should at least try to do something about it.. Oh well, the game is still fun. I keep coming back for several reasons. To get to level 200 (150 would be a miracle for me..), and to meet many different people and make new friends. That's the best part of this game i think, the people. Ok, i'm done ranting.

tennis_guy
Jun 17, 2003, 07:33 PM
i ask again...what does FSOD and BSOD stand for?

Flame
Jun 18, 2003, 12:00 AM
mmmm . . . .PSO. . .

Flame
Jun 18, 2003, 12:03 AM
FSOD is "frozen Screen of Death" BSOD is "Black screen of Death." Nuff' said.

tennis_guy
Jun 18, 2003, 12:05 AM
oh these happen online? that sucks...and it corrupts your data?

sysreq
Jun 18, 2003, 12:56 AM
im pretty sure that the losing your character only happens with the mem cards on gc, xbox whenever i get fsod i just lose all unequiped items, not my char.

and on the note about ffxi and everquest being like pso, they are not, the game that would be more like pso would be d2, because it is an action rpg like pso, only thing is there is no char customization past your equipment.

tennis_guy
Jun 18, 2003, 01:01 AM
Oh so when FSOD happens you only lose unequipped items? thats not too bad. hey when it happens do you just have to reset the system?

sysreq
Jun 18, 2003, 01:23 AM
yea you have to restart, the screen freezes and you hear the last sound repeated like ennnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

tennis_guy
Jun 18, 2003, 01:28 AM
cool. looking forward to it when i get online when my modem comes in...wait at tick.. THAT WOULD SUCK!

sysreq
Jun 18, 2003, 02:34 AM
nothing to do with topic, but tennis_guy you have a red cat??

fyrewyre
Jun 18, 2003, 11:38 PM
of course ffxi and eq is nothing like pso. ffxi owns. theres a mod on here that plays it or has the beta test so im sure he can attest to that.

edit: who in the world plays EQ online?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fyrewyre on 2003-06-18 21:41 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: fyrewyre on 2003-06-19 23:18 ]</font>

tennis_guy
Jun 19, 2003, 12:31 AM
On 2003-06-18 00:34, sysreq wrote:
nothing to do with topic, but tennis_guy you have a red cat??

lol, no. its just that im so used to looking intently for red boxes on pso, anything looks like a red box...maybe i should change my sig, if its giving the impression i have red cat lol!