PDA

View Full Version : Whew, I did it. Way around the backup block...

Ambrai
Mar 13, 2001, 01:29 AM
Ok, After testing and 3 others testing this I have successfully found a way around the backup block.

Now for community opinion. Should this tech be displayed in the public eye? Yes I would love credit for this since I have done nothing but crack at this for a week 8P. But its a double edged sword.

Give it out and we can backup.

Give it out and back come the lamer dupers.

Pro's to giving it out:
We can protect our investment and play with piece of mind.

Cons: Lamer dupers will start back up duping.

You all know I am Pro-backup. So whats your opinion.

P.S. Please keep this civil, I will edit flames the moment I see them. This is a discussion/debate, do NOT attack someone for their opinion.

Crawurm
Mar 13, 2001, 01:35 AM
well to keep it safe don't post it here.
it would be best if you E-mail,ICQ,.etc. people you trust will back-up there save only and not use it for duping.

Maverick
Mar 13, 2001, 01:58 AM
I say post it. The majority of the dupers are using the GSCCC codes anyway as it's more efficient. I think the good outweighs the bad this time around.

Glider
Mar 13, 2001, 02:03 AM
Ambrai, don't post it. I don't even think you should pass it on because that person might tell some friends who will then tell more friends. Basically, If it gets out, the dupers will increase because anyone could do it. Not just some one who owns a Gameshark. Personaly, I would like to know since I wan't to back up my character. But for others, they just want to know so they can dupe.

SeQrEt_1
Mar 13, 2001, 02:15 AM
dupers will exsist regardless post it and get yourself some credit.

Glider
Mar 13, 2001, 02:23 AM
Would you rather have 10 dupers or 100? Just send it to people you know want to use backups and are againest duping.

Spy
Mar 13, 2001, 02:39 AM
Censorship sucks if it isn't protecting somebody from harrasment. Don't censor this technique please.

Lord_Ariakas
Mar 13, 2001, 02:53 AM
I say post it. Duping has already devalued every rare in PSO. So i'd don't see how much worse can it get with a few more spread needles some lame duper spent 2 hours duping with the backup technique.. Plus I'd like to get my backups working.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Lord_Ariakas on 2001-03-12 23:55 ]</font>

Cheech
Mar 13, 2001, 03:01 AM
I was againest the back-up method for a long time. Never thinking I would be hit by BSOD or a soft reset. Just last week it happened to me. I was really upset (I'd lost some really strong high % weapons) and I wanted a back-up that second. Then I thought of all those lame dupers. How they will do anything to have 50 bijilion Flame Lasiriths +93854. We can't stop them... They will find more and more ways to dupe and copy. There are about 8 ways that I know how to dupe. (Gameshark, back-up, mem card switch, ect.) I rather have a lamers then not to have a back-up. Please post how.

Draekkan
Mar 13, 2001, 03:03 AM
I must agree with Glider completely. Share it with friends but don't post it on the board. Many anonymous guests can read these boards and they may have bad intentions for the technique. So, again, share it with trusted friends, but not with everyone.

Catch
Mar 13, 2001, 03:50 AM
Please post the method. I have one character that cannot go online now because of BSOD. Like you, i kept a backup just in case of BSOD....but with the new server...i cannot go online without losing ALL my items.

Eowyn
Mar 13, 2001, 04:00 AM
I'm all for free flow of information. Give the people the information and then let them decide what to do with it.

VampireLR
Mar 13, 2001, 04:05 AM
You might as well post it Ms Ambrai. As you may all have already known the new game shark code has been release enabling you to have access to whatever rare items that is available in the game. So this information is more valuable to those who got BSOD than it is to dupers.

Maple
Mar 13, 2001, 04:13 AM
I think it shold be posted. I have lost nice item to BSOD three times not to mention my friend losing his char trying to trying to get his BBA to work and to a bad case os BSOD. there will be dupers especialy with the new super code and save to another vmu code for xploder dc and code breaker.

Danger_Girl
Mar 13, 2001, 04:31 AM
I don't care if you post it or not. I'm just happy that this means I'll be seeing you online morehttp://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif.

M_Bison
Mar 13, 2001, 05:40 AM
Glider said:
"Ambrai, don't post it. I don't even think you should pass it on because that person might tell some friends who will then tell more friends. Basically, If it gets out, the dupers will increase because anyone could do it. Not just some one who owns a Gameshark. Personaly, I would like to know since I wan't to back up my character. But for others, they just want to know so they can dupe."

Mod: Flame removed.

END OF LINE...

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Ambrai on 2001-03-13 07:56 ]</font>

Danderdag
Mar 13, 2001, 06:13 AM
Are you kidding? of course there will be more dupers if it's released. Right now only game sharkers can dupe, and NOT many people own cheating devices. With backups, ANYONE can do it.
I say thumbs down, much as i'd hate to lose all my stuff.

Athian
Mar 13, 2001, 06:25 AM
Ambrai just let it out cause the dupers have a new code to get all the items anyway so it doesn't really matter.

f0rge
Mar 13, 2001, 06:25 AM
i say post it.

with the new item creation code, duping itself has become pointless, so you may as well post it.

and dont tell me that not everyone has a gameshark. they are a dime a dozen now a days, hell, i downloaded mine. and anyone that wants to cheat in pso now has an even better reason to go out and get one.

VampireLR
Mar 13, 2001, 06:33 AM
I don't have a game shark all I have are the basic. One DC, one controller, one VMU and one keyboard. ;>

dev1nsan
Mar 13, 2001, 08:03 AM
I say post it. Sure someone will use the knowledge to dupe, but using backup to dupe is a very slow way, compared with people who own gameshark, there the ones that are mass producing dupes of every rare they have and lettin everybody else have it just so they can make some freinds. And I don't think that you should just give it to people you know and trust. How many of the people on these boards do you actually know. I mean cmon don't you think your being selfish glider. You said that she should give it to you because your just gonna use it to backup your character, how does she know that, just cuz you say so. Pleeze.

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: dev1nsan on 2001-03-13 05:07 ]</font>

Spy
Mar 13, 2001, 08:08 AM
First of all, lay off Glider, he has a right to his own opinions.

But realease the information!!! Also, depending on what sega is using to see if items are hacked, are they possibly breaking the law? They state that the only information they are taking is the date of registration and the serial numbers before you can log on. They nowhere say that they are going to scan your save files.

dev1nsan
Mar 13, 2001, 08:15 AM
Whatever.

Sheogorath
Mar 13, 2001, 08:29 AM
I say post it. since I used to be quite a debater in my time, and used to love to write editorials on my old website (Before thousands of people began subscribing my private email to mailing lists if they got mad at what I wrote.) I'll weigh the pro's and con's right here:

Pros: We "honest" people no longer fear power surges or BSODs. We carry multiple weapons, and do not fear having unequipped items in our inventory.

Cons: The cheaters have a new way to dupe.

Now, frankly, I don't care what billy-bob and jim-bob do in their dupe-happy little games, because even if they come into my game, I high-tail out of there and make a new one. No sweat off my back.

The only bad thing that can come out of it is really the possibility that someone at sega learns of your trick and changes the server to check for it and delte the backup again.

But then again, Spy has me thinking about that invasion of privacy thing....heh, too bad he hates and ignores me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

peace, and im off to bed http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Stinger
Mar 13, 2001, 09:17 AM
I say Post it, i had that damn BSOD over 6 times and i loose all my items 6 times, sure i have a backup of my charackter but now with the new servers it does?nt matter if i have a Backup or not!
And the dupers got that new code from CodeMaster were they can get every item....so it wont matter if you puplic it or not, dupers are here and thay will find a way, like you finde the way to use the backup!

JayHale
Mar 13, 2001, 09:46 AM
I think you should post it, for me especially. I'm so paranoid of getting this "BSOD" and losing like 60+ hours of gameplay. I think everyone is afraid of that too. While there are dupers out there, you just have to get over the fact that there are. I thought people played PSO for the fun of it, not just to show off their beautiful new rare? I think most people have fallen from the spirit of the game, and don't like dupers only because they can't show off their sweet new rares anymore, because everyone has them. It's that true love of team spirit that brings people back to the game, not a lavis cannon or spread needle. Go ahead and post it!

swartt-cm-
Mar 13, 2001, 10:11 AM
i would like to know how. emailing it could get time consuming, and it wont be hidden forever.... i say you post it in a dead forum

Nokturne
Mar 13, 2001, 10:27 AM
please do tell.... if i lose my lvl 100 Nokky baby like i lost my fonewearl recently (due to some corrupt file message... no it wasn't from cheating, cuz I don't cheat, just accept dupes once in awhile http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif), i'll be one po'd bitch. I say the pro's outway the con's anyways... i'm sure it wouldn't be easier than the gs method for duping.

and everything JayHale said is so true! My thoughts exactly...

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Nokturne on 2001-03-13 07:30 ]</font>

Socrates
Mar 13, 2001, 10:43 AM
"They state that the only information they are taking is the date of registration and the serial numbers before you can log on."

Actually, I believe the warning message is that "no personal information" will be collected, i.e., your name, address, phone number, etc. or anything else that could be dragged out of your DC internet preferences.

They are free to collect whatever other data they want pertaining to the game. After all, the servers are 'an extension of the game'. They are well within their rights here.

Neojin
Mar 13, 2001, 10:50 AM
At this point in time, sorry to say but the fight is over. There is no denying duping, there is no stoping it.

Stick to the plan, play with friends, lock your games and or leave games where you know there is a duper.

Honest people are the ones who would like to back up their characters. They are the ones who dont have an Xploder and who actualy want to know.

All you can say really is Screw Sega for not thinking ahead and giving us the option for serverside only.

Mistkerl_Zwo
Mar 13, 2001, 12:39 PM
Ambrai, insted of wasting that whole week finding the new method, you should have just asked me, i would have told you how to do it!

Then you could have played online a lot more, : )

Neojin
Mar 13, 2001, 12:47 PM
LOL...did you like post somewhere in the many threads about back up that you knew? I dont think Ambrai has ESP and if she does...well I need to win the lottery http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_razz.gif

[b]Ryiko[b]

GT
Mar 13, 2001, 12:48 PM
IF YOU LOVE THIS GAME YOU WILL NOT POST IT! Dupers and cheaters are not GAMERS!!!!!

GT

Tenshi-Chan
Mar 13, 2001, 01:38 PM
POST IT POST IT POST IT!!! There will be cheaters whether you do it or not. More or less doesn't matter. Just play with those you trust. Plus there are easier and better ways to dupe. Sega will be taking the anti dupe off anyway so why not let us play risk free till then?

Neifirst
Mar 13, 2001, 03:07 PM
Ambrai, I'm torn on this one. At first, I thought you should post it, since I really get the feeling that most of the people frequenting this forum are true gamers who heavily disagree with duping and cheating.

But then I thought, someone with less integrity is going to happen by your post and publish it somewhere else.

After careful consideration, I think that you should not post it. Find another way to give this info to the ones you trust here on PSO world. We can't hold the dupers off forever, but maybe giving Sega one more day to work out a counter-measure and gamers one more dupe-free day to play is worth it.

Nordramor
Mar 13, 2001, 03:16 PM
I would say just pass it out to people who ask for it personally, but not post it generally.

To be honest, this whole 'backup' concept never really mattered to me. 180 hours logged, and I've only lost a handful of easily replaceable items to crashes/reboots/BSODs. Are these problems really that prevalent? None of my personal friends have ever had anything bad ever happen to their chars from it.

BTW, I turn my Dreamcast upside down when I play PSO. I was having loading problems occasionally, and for some bizzare reason this seems to have stopped nearly every bug I was experiencing.

Nordramor
Nordy!

Ambrai
Mar 13, 2001, 03:36 PM
Gideon and Tomeeboy lost their char on the same day from the DC locking. So I say we need it...

AdoptedDeV
Mar 13, 2001, 04:09 PM
I say go for it... assuming you know how to and aren't just pullin our leg... probaly sittin there laughin at us right now aren't you? haha damn sickie.

Zero101
Mar 13, 2001, 04:32 PM
I think you should post it.
I haaaate dupers and what they have done to the game, but backing up your character so that you don't lose hours of work is a worthy piece of information. Don't hurt innocents just so that you can hurt the guilty as well.

Anyways, let's face it... in this age of information and technology, it won't be long before the cheaters find out. Not that they even need it, there are other methods to make copies, and I haven't really seen how it has made any impact on the servers. There still seems to be just as much cheating as ever now.

Manifest
Mar 13, 2001, 04:38 PM
First off, to all of you people who say it should be emailed to "trstworthy" people. Who are you to decide who is or isnt to be trusted with this kind of knowledge? for all we know you guys are dupers. Either you tell everyone, or you tell NO ONE. I can garuantee you that if you dont tell everyone, myself, or someone else will find a way around it. And I WILL post it.

Boris
Mar 13, 2001, 04:57 PM
I think you should post. Most people like myself have spent countless amounts of hours (going on 250 hours) developing their character. The ability to backup my file would bring ease of mind. The World cannot be blamed for the crimes of a few.