PDA

View Full Version : Is a mag a creature or a robot?

Kadou
Jun 8, 2003, 03:58 PM
Is a mag a living creature or a machine made for the protection of hunters? I need to know for a fanfic I'm writing.

Tunuva
Jun 8, 2003, 07:00 PM
I belive a mag is a robot with feelings. Kind of like a Robot dog. It cares for you and does stuff but is not alive.

Ghaleon
Jun 8, 2003, 11:41 PM
if it was a robot then how do you feed it? and it evolves

Orange_Coconut
Jun 9, 2003, 12:19 AM
Eh, well. If you were to create a fan-fic then I say create them however you'd like. In my opinion it would be more interesting if you gave the mag a personality.

Like, for example, make it (at first) if you have a new character, that is, not like it's owner. But over-time as the synchro goes up they bond. I dunno, I think that'd be nifty.

Kadou
Jun 9, 2003, 11:29 AM
Arggh.. Ghaleon, if a mag is a machine, you could probably feed it about the same way you'd fill a gass tank on a car or a lawnmower (assuming most items are liquid). As for evolution, I don't really know how a machine could change its form without a human to rebuild it. If it were a creature, however, it would have to grow tired, produce waste, blah-blah other animal stuff etc. Also, I don't know how a creature would manage to levitate, or why you would be capable of putting it in the bank. I should just make something up like Orange said. A creature with some bionic cells, maybe?

RavenTW
Jun 9, 2003, 11:41 AM
It's a mcahine designed to help people, but with an AI that's a little more primitive than the androids. As for your evolution question, think Transformers.

BOC
Jun 9, 2003, 01:45 PM
mmmmmmmmmmmm, transformers.

wouldn't mind having one of those as a mag, a 20ft metallic beast hovering over my shoulder?!?! dark falz would be running for his life!!!

oh wait. mags!

the best i can place it is that they are little robots like transformers (as mentioned above by raven http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif) or that they r little creatures created in the lab.

or they could be like cyborgs, part organic part machine.

Logical2u
Jun 9, 2003, 01:59 PM
Mags have artificial intelligence, so that would explain Syncrho and IQ. They grow by you giving them an item that would increase a certain area in there mind and that gives YOU increased photon power in that field. (explains pow, etc). And when a certain area of their AI is advanced enough, maybe there body changes to accomadate the advancement.

And because they are AI, maybe Elanor interfaced with the ones in the Magnitude of Metal quest....

Edit:Hey, my 251? Where was my 250? Oh well

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Logical2u on 2003-06-09 12:01 ]</font>

Nei3rd
Jun 9, 2003, 02:03 PM
Maybe they're made out of liquid metal? Like the T-1000. The PSO universe is kinda freaky like that. I mean where else can you use a broom as a weapon of pure ass whomping?

Night_Shadow
Jun 9, 2003, 02:58 PM
Organic skin sorta thing with photon energy.

Kadou
Jun 9, 2003, 09:26 PM
Thank you. I think I'll go with what Logical said for status increase and intelligence. For emotion I think It'd have to be simulated, like the robot dog idea.

Monomate
Jun 10, 2003, 07:31 PM
nanotechnology...don't you people ever read sci-fi books, or watch the discovery channel or etc...even Gundam had it to some extent (the Devil Gundam could evolve, regenerate etc...) nanotech...only...BIGGER! they're already attempting to design a fleet of nanotech robots they think (i guess) for themselves, repair themselves, reproduce (they build more of themselves) they can even decide to evolve as necessary, and will recreate themselves...like MAGs!

of course...you *could* just disregard everything i just said...

SlashEdgewind
Jun 14, 2003, 05:31 PM
I think Mag's are just floating AI's.. maybe they evolve using stuff in the items to create new parts.. what I'm curious about.. is are Mag's created or just found?

Slash

Sharkyland
Jul 11, 2003, 07:41 PM
Every Mag need to go to an obedience school. I find it weird that drinking monomate (and other funky stuff) while it raises (or lowers) it's IQ and synchro.

Probably up to a certain point the Mag begins to think that certain items are inhallants and begins to get dumb.

Sharkyland
Jul 11, 2003, 07:48 PM
Though here is my explanation for Mags:

- Origins: They were probably created like Newmans, but unlike newmans they were experimented with photon energy and not magic. Or they could be some kind of species that was found on another planet and they somewhat act like cats and dogs.

- Theories of Evolution: Certain stuff might by 'radioactive' for the Mag (as it grows and loses stuff) or it might just have a metamorphis stage like a butterfly (egg -> catepillar -> coccoon -> butterfly) though there is not much told about these things.

- Attributes: I really don't know how they can make you stronger. It's not like they release a pheremone (newman or human) or some kind of signal to your body (androids) to make you stronger. Almost similar to that of an upgrade or getting injected with steroids or something like that.

- Communication: Considering that they communicate and feel pain, they must have some kind of brain though it is difficult to tell what type of signals are used... are they telepathic, magnetic, electric, or radioactive?

(I find it weird that some people on Pioneer 2 do not have Mags, while you alone have a Mag. Do you think it was just recently issued by the Hunter's Guild?)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2003-07-11 17:54 ]</font>

Nai_Calus
Jul 11, 2003, 10:59 PM
If you talk to the 'worthless Ranger' in MOM, he says that Hunters are given one when they become Hunters, and that it's sort of a tradition. That doesn't go with Mags being a new thing.

I always assumed that Mags would have an intelligence similar to a Human's... Dunno why, maybe I just like to anthromorphize things. But I always assumed Androids would be more intelligent than Humans and Newmans, and that Mags would be a bit simpler and be like Human's in their level of intelligence/emotions. More like a little floating person than a dog or cat. *shrug* Although it would be a bit hard to communicate, since Mags can't exactly talk. Or maybe they can, maybe they're just snobs and don't have anything to say to us inferior people. ;-P

Maybe evolving is how Mags grow up or something. Maybe with each evolution they gain more intelligence and develop more of a personality and such. Like, a baby Mag would be like a human baby, a Varuna or somesuch like a child, a Rudra an adolescent, a Kama a young adult and a Rati a mature grown-up or something. I dunno. It would be interesting.

It's established that Elenor can talk to Mags. Can other androids talk to their Mags? Can any Humans/Newmans properly do this? Do Mags talk to eachother? If so, do they talk trash about you and reveal all your most embarrassing habits? Maybe the government uses them to spy on you... From what we know about the government on the Pioneer ships, it wouldn't surprise me at -all-, although if your Mag liked you at all, it would be difficult to explain why it would go along with that, if there were anything they could do about it.

Meh, all this theorizing gives me a headache. *hugs Fluffy*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ian-KunX on 2003-07-12 01:00 ]</font>

IceBlink
Jul 13, 2003, 04:03 AM
Mags can have emotions of sorts... particularly the 'loyalty' one. The mags which ran away all wanted to be with their former masters (who had died on Ragol in earlier missions, I presume), with only one which was willing to 'say' goodbye to it's former master and return to be reassigned.

Kinda like Shino, I guess. ;_;

SubstanceD
Jul 13, 2003, 05:52 AM
I prefer to think of Mags as Techno-Organic life forms since they share many similarities with both living cretures and machines. I would also think that my idea is not too far fetched when you concider how technologically advanced the PSO civilisation is ( photon based weapons, Newmans which themselves are a genteically created speices and androids wih emotions ).