PDA

View Full Version : GC: Memory Card Corruption

DukeElrond
Jun 11, 2003, 12:48 AM
Hi,

Tonight, without warning, when I went to go online with the memory card that holds all my BA characters, PSO told me that my memory card system, character, and guild card files were corrupted and must be erased. I of course said no, and then proceeded to do the following:

1) Go online with another character and scream for help to ChibiMyu.
2) Follow her advice and go offline to try to play in offline multiplayer with the memory card in the second port.

Well, that worked and I was able to play as my characters, so I transferred all my items to other characters.

Then I continued to delete data files, one-by-one starting with the screenshot file and then the system file. However, once the system file was erased, as soon as I started PSO it deleted my character files without warning. So, in summary, I lost all my characters but saved all my items.

Has anyone been able to prevent their characters from being deleted? How can I try to avoid this happening again? I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary routine.

Benoit
Jun 11, 2003, 07:44 AM
Tips to prevent corruption:

-Use broadband
-Have a firewall, either by a proxy or a router
-NAT, either by proxy or router
-don't use the Wave Bird controller
-use official Nintendo memory cards
-use "Quit Game" when you detect FSOD lurking

DukeElrond
Jun 11, 2003, 11:28 AM
I have all those things, lol.

Benoit
Jun 11, 2003, 03:28 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif Works for me, I haven't been corrupted yet.

DukeElrond
Jun 11, 2003, 06:12 PM
Where did you hear using a firewall makes a difference?

BrokenHope
Jun 11, 2003, 08:16 PM
On 2003-06-10 22:48, DukeElrond wrote:
Hi,

Tonight, without warning, when I went to go online with the memory card that holds all my BA characters, PSO told me that my memory card system, character, and guild card files were corrupted and must be erased. I of course said no, and then proceeded to do the following:

1) Go online with another character and scream for help to ChibiMyu.
2) Follow her advice and go offline to try to play in offline multiplayer with the memory card in the second port.

Well, that worked and I was able to play as my characters, so I transferred all my items to other characters.

Then I continued to delete data files, one-by-one starting with the screenshot file and then the system file. However, once the system file was erased, as soon as I started PSO it deleted my character files without warning. So, in summary, I lost all my characters but saved all my items.

Has anyone been able to prevent their characters from being deleted? How can I try to avoid this happening again? I don't remember doing anything out of the ordinary routine.

Did you erase the guild card file before you erased the system file? The fact you could still play the charaters offline makes me think that only the guild card file had become corrupted.

DukeElrond
Jun 11, 2003, 11:09 PM
I could only play offline multiplayer if the corrupted card was in port #2. When its in port #2, the system file isn't needed, but the GC file is. So I decided to delete the system file first, but then PSO just destroyed my data.

cityson
Jun 12, 2003, 04:53 AM
Did you ever take screenshots? Like did you created a "screenshots file"? I think most ppl got corruption due to that file, or guild card. Those 2 files are 99% corruption starters.

PrinceCorky
Jun 13, 2003, 11:08 PM
So you were able to play as your characters offline multiplayer? My brother's was corrupted(he never went online but used a MadCatz memory card) and now his FOnewearl is stuck as a temp character on my memory card(official). Do you guys have any tips, because we can't access his characters besides ZOEY(the FOnewearl). Any help?

Chr1s
Jun 14, 2003, 07:01 PM
file corruption sucks.
my entire list of friends and family that play this game all got corrupted some time in the last week, and their solution was:

1/ Load Memory Card into Port 2 then boot up game
2/ Load Memory Card into Port 1- Delete the Files from the memory card: "Guild Card"
3/ Load Game , this should prevent corruption.

If this fails:

1/ Quit PSO (unless u fancy doing all that hard work again... thats what most pple av done, few have decided to stay.. if i got corrupted, i wudnt play again nor play any sega online title, and they wonder why pple say "Sega is *Beep*)

soz to hear bout ya corruption.

DukeElrond
Jun 14, 2003, 08:45 PM
Um, I don't think I'm going to quit PSO for the loss of characters under level 26, when I was able to save all my items, too, lol... Thanks for the help, though.

Benoit
Jun 15, 2003, 04:47 AM
I heard using a firewall helps in another thread like this on this site. It would help prevent FSOD attempts. Not sure about that, though. Never mind.