PDA

View Full Version : Router Firewalls... GARG!

Captain_Dude
Jun 12, 2003, 10:42 PM
Forgive me if this rant is only semi coherent. But whatever...

I me father recently installed a router so that the network could be all super-wonderful. BUT! The second I try to do anything other than use Internet Explorer, DENIED! I lose access to all the bloody ports that were once freely accessable... So I use the port forwarding feature, that's supposed to work... It doesn't. I searched the internet, and found that quite a few people haven't been able to get port forwarding to work on the same model router than we bought.... WONDERFUL WE'VE A SLIGHTLY DEFECTIVE ROUTER!

So I try everything else I can thinbk of, DMZ server, other shit, I even consider prying open the bloody thing and manually reprogramming the damn thing myself... LUCKILY, it was able to be resolved (through the use of a second power strip and a hub), but I went through several nervous breakdowns trying to fix this bloody thing.

So anyone who does any gaming or requires ANY kind of ports to be open(FTP Hosting, E-Mail hosting, File Sharing) and are looking at the Netgear RP614. GO with something else. Cause In many cases the port forwarding doesn't work for some reason...

Now, after 3 days with a total of maybe 6 hours sleep, I'm going to bed!

CajunSamurai
Jun 14, 2003, 03:14 AM
Ouch! My Linksys BEFSR41 has been fine for me, so far... Only a few times have I had to open a few ports for AIM, Direct Connecto or eMule, and that's been pretty quick and painless.
Pretty stylish lookin', too! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_hamster.gif