PDA

View Full Version : Yet more questions on bba connecting

Milky
Jun 16, 2003, 01:01 PM
Evening all.

I'm having trouble getting my GC online. I'm trying to route it though my PC. I've read up on it, and it all seems quite simple. I have my bba(courtesy of http://www.cannings.co.uk next day, lovely) and that's plugged into a network card(tried straight through and crossover cable), set everything to detect settings automatically, enable internet connection sharing, etc.

So how come when I try to actually connect the GC to "homepage" or whatever, it does it's stuff for a while, saying something like "Requesting something through DHCP" then brings up an error along the lines of "Unable to obtain IP address through DHCP, DHCP server may be down or not responding."?

Anyone got any ideas?

Cheers

(Oh yea, I'm in England if that makes any difference at all)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Milky on 2003-06-16 11:01 ]</font>

Rich_T
Jun 16, 2003, 04:39 PM
what flavour of windows are you using ?
xp??
if you have it set up on your P.c right you should see a symbol like the one you get when your online ( two computer screens, but with a red cross)
when you switch your gamecube on the red cross will go, and you will get a message saying local area conection conected or something like that.

you need to use the cr5ossover cable, and conect your P.C to the internet Before you try and conect on your gamecube, otherwise you will get error messages ( on your GC) telling you about DNS problems.
also if you are using a firewall that could cause a problem.

Milky
Jun 17, 2003, 06:34 AM
I'm using windows 2000.
Yea, if I go into the properties thing and check the box saying "display icon in taskbar when connected" I get the two little monitors flashing at eachother in the bottom of my screen.
With the straight cable it didnt even think it was plugged in, so I worked that one out http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif
The firewall wasnt throwing up any alerts, so I didnt think there was a problem there, and I just tried it with no firewall, and it's still saying "Failed to create an IP address from DHCP. DHCP server may not exist or may be down"

Also, when I float the cursor over the icon in the taskbar it says:
local area connection 2
speed: 10.0 mbps
sent: 103 packets
recieved: 0 packets

So the computer isnt getting anything from the cube. Bugger.
I'm thinking that it could be a dodgy length of cable, or that the bba is knackered then.
Anyone got any other ideas?
The cable being 25 meters long wouldnt affect anything?

Benoit
Jun 21, 2003, 07:04 AM
Have you actually told your computer to set up DHCP? That may be the problem.

And no, the length doesn't matter. I use a 15 meter cable, and it works fine.