PDA

View Full Version : Racism on PSO?

FabulousJ
Jun 16, 2003, 09:27 PM
Regrettably, my first experience online (with the GC anyway) left me a bit flustered and uneasy. Amidst limitless profanity and subdued vulgarity (via Smiley Chat) - which I am wholly impartial to (or at least tolerant of), I arrived at a block in Deneb to find a group of four people making derogatory remarks about Hispanics and African Americans using a variety of compromised racial slurs.
However I am less awestruck as I am disappointed. I was under the impression that the online community was more tolerant and less prone to give into generalizations and stereotypes, much less perpetuate them via bigotry and verbal slander. Or at the very least, to be respectful to their fellow gamers. After all, you never know who's playing that hunter in front of you unless you know them personally - remember these are only caricatures. You could actually be alienating a new teammate or partner. PSO collects a number of countries under one community - its the very essence of the game. To log on and think that everyone will be the same race, have the same background, the same culture and will not be offended by your racist/sexist remarks is insane.
In any case, I was just wondering was this just my bad luck, or do these four people really reflect the sentiments of the majority of PSO?

Reenee
Jun 16, 2003, 09:31 PM
They're just morons. It just shows how stupid, immature, and ignorant they are.

Frozt
Jun 16, 2003, 09:34 PM
HOLY CRAP! those are SOME BIG WORDS! jesus man I dont even know half of what those words meant..but I do know what ur getting at and I feel the same way and its just not u and bad luck there are some of those people who you probably will run into once a day Infact Im a big friggin mut in real life Im mainly an african ameircan but Im yellow mixed with hispanic and anglo(white) so sense im mixed with all these I show the same passion for each race, I think if the stero typing and racism is a big issue to you I encourage you not to play but I refuse to let people like that ruin the game.

sysreq
Jun 16, 2003, 09:35 PM
i dont mean anything at all by this, but if your complaining about sexist and racial remarks you should stay off of every online game, its not pso, its people.

Getintothegame
Jun 16, 2003, 09:38 PM
It doesn't reflect most of the PSO population. Just play with us at Anteres 8 and you will mostly get away from them.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Getintothegame on 2003-06-16 19:39 ]</font>

Helios
Jun 16, 2003, 09:39 PM
just deal with it; there's people like that anywhere you go on the internet, including MMOrpg's

the internet makes it very easy to be an asshole

Madd
Jun 16, 2003, 09:50 PM
There jus lucky u dont know where they live. Thiz happenz 2 me a lot.

[]D [] []V[] []D

ransom
Jun 16, 2003, 09:51 PM
Profanity and racism on the internet? Whaaa? When did this happen?! Seriously, though, you really should get used to it, being an asshole in an environment where no one knows anything but what you tell them is very convenient, unfortunately.

And I hate to bring up that MMORPGs are probably the safest place from that crap that you'll find in online gaming. Just stumble into an FPS server, you'll get a kick out of how retarded players in a "team-based" shooter can be.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ransom on 2003-06-16 19:55 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jun 16, 2003, 09:52 PM
I've been assaulted by entire lobbies before because I'm a muslim, not a big deal.

Ignore the ignorant, they thrive for the attention, expecially because online, they can try to act as tough as they want, but all it ever is are words.

Delsaber
Jun 16, 2003, 09:52 PM
There will always be assholes out there. The internet doesn't help. See, the internet allows for people to make themselves seem big or important in some fashion. For example, I was in a Yahoo! chat room, the Asian Teens chatroom to be exact. Three morons entered and were all on voice saying stuff like, "Remember Hiroshima?" That pissed me off, I am not Asian, but I was pissed because they were doing it to make them feel big about other.. smaller aspects of their lives... After getting pissed, I thought about it and just ignored them because it was pointless. So, just ignore all of those haters out there. They will always be there looking for a way to get off.

It is not cool to put others down to make you feel better about yourself.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Delsaber on 2003-06-16 19:54 ]</font>

Madd
Jun 16, 2003, 09:56 PM
SHAPIRO....Y R U CALLING PEOPLE STUPID?<---BAKA

Delsaber
Jun 16, 2003, 09:58 PM
Shapiro was obviously not calling you or anyone here stupid, unless they are racist assholes. Are you a racist asshole Madd?

ransom
Jun 16, 2003, 09:58 PM
Delsaber, the real question is why were you in an Asian Teen chat room if you're not asian? http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Oh yeah, I know why... asian girls are extremely hot. Not sure why I didn't think of that in the first place. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Delsaber
Jun 16, 2003, 09:59 PM
Yes, Asian chicks are hot! I also had some friends in there. My online friends, I don't have any in real life...

ransom
Jun 16, 2003, 10:01 PM
None of us have friends in real life.

Yes, Delsaber and I support positive stereo types: asian girls are the hottest things I've ever seen

... and mexicans can fly http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

Delsaber
Jun 16, 2003, 10:02 PM
I want to fly! Damnit! Way do I got to be so... so... non-able to fly? Evil arms...

ABDUR101
Jun 16, 2003, 10:12 PM
Less spam fellows. Stick to the topic, yeah?

sysreq
Jun 16, 2003, 10:14 PM
and in that you created more spam by prompting for me to point that out i also have made more spam, we all know that racism is bad, but we all know that on the internet it is 10 times worse because you have nothing to fear from speaking your mind.

Frozt
Jun 16, 2003, 10:40 PM
As for the sex slurs its kind of humerous to me but not when people start saying saying "wanna go cyber ?" or all that crap then it gets annoying but when ppl make little sex symbols I find it funny I just leave that alone.

Vim19
Jun 16, 2003, 10:43 PM
Haven't encountered anything vulger [yet], but I have had one guy say "Whazzaup cutie" a few times in one game and one of those symbol things with "Sexy" in it in another game.

ransom
Jun 16, 2003, 10:43 PM
We were talking about positive stereo-types, so basically we were not spamming. But if you don't want to talk about hot asian girls...

Just messing with you, man.

Frozt
Jun 16, 2003, 11:51 PM
See stuff like that I dont mind just some messed up horny person trying to shout out at the pso females.

Jack
Jun 17, 2003, 06:09 AM
I keep seeing that Bruce Lee asshat in Polaris 01 shouting HEIL HITLER and flashing swastika symbol chats. Someone needs to poke his eyes out with a pencil.

Hunter4life
Jun 17, 2003, 10:09 AM
Rascism is a sad but unfortunatly not uncommon thing in online games. The best thing you can do is ignore it, or block the people who are saying it. Chances are they're not going to say anything intelligent anyway.

Moo2u
Jun 17, 2003, 11:24 AM
Ya, some people online are just plan stupid, no getting around it. I just don't do anything with those kind of people. You know who they are, the kind of people who keep on flashing their dick symbol chats and what not.

I'm more disapointed in the lack of black characters on pso! There's not enough damn it!

I was going to make one, but I got side tracked and made an android instead. He's a black android, if that makes any difference.

MonoxideChild
Jun 17, 2003, 11:32 AM
On 2003-06-17 04:09, Jack wrote:
I keep seeing that Bruce Lee asshat in Polaris 01 shouting HEIL HITLER and flashing swastika symbol chats. Someone needs to poke his eyes out with a pencil.

Bruce Lee, wtf?

Jason
Jun 17, 2003, 11:34 AM
On 2003-06-16 19:52, Delsaber wrote:
It is not cool to put others down to make you feel better about yourself.
<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Delsaber on 2003-06-16 19:54 ]</font>

I agree with that.

Azrael130
Jun 17, 2003, 11:50 AM
I don't like to hear about Racism in any game or anywhere because I think it's wrong. Luckily, I haven't had any Racist experiences in PSO(other than that one time on DC this idiot hated me(I think he was jealous) because I was a FOnewm. I remember when I was on DC and it was after 9/11. There was this one guy who had a name like Hajid or something, I can't remember exactly. This one guy asked him if he was arabic and he was like Yeah, So What? The other guy started picking on him and stuff, but a lot of the people in the lobby defended him. I don't get this Racism stuff and I think racists need to go look in a dictionary because last time I checked, we're all members of the same race.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Azrael130 on 2003-06-17 09:55 ]</font>

Frozt
Jun 17, 2003, 12:45 PM
Yeah its sad shit like this is on online games and even worse on a good joyful game such as pso, theres so much badness pain hunger and killing in the world today why do teens and adults bring this stuff to the one place we can escape from the world , am I right?

Jack
Jun 17, 2003, 01:12 PM
On 2003-06-17 09:32, MonoxideChild wrote:

On 2003-06-17 04:09, Jack wrote:

Bruce Lee, wtf?

He's a HUmar (Level 2) who spends all his time in the lobby (usually Vega 01) shouting racist diatribes at anyone who walks near him. He's been doing this since V1.

FabulousJ
Jun 17, 2003, 01:42 PM
In retrospect, I believe I should have placed this topic in "Off-Topic Discussions." @_@ Well, I'm an idiot... ^_^
In any case, your honest replies and verbal enlightment has offered me renewed hope in the PSO community. OK, I was aware that racism/sexism/antisemitism existed, but it was just so surprising to see it my first day online! Since then I've met numerous decent people who play well and have the courtesy not to spout insults your way (all the time)... so thanx for the input.

See ya online!

Oh, and yes - asian girls are *hot*. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Frozt
Jun 17, 2003, 01:55 PM
Im glad ur giving it another chance dont let ppl like tht ruin the game.

fyrewyre
Jun 17, 2003, 07:09 PM
err...i DONT like humars(only 99.5)so does that make me racist?

(if so i will need some PSOcial classes to help me http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_wink.gif )

anyhoo, i think real world problems shouldnt surface in 'Phantasy' star online at all. as for bruce lee i know he'd piss on himself if i ever seen him in real life.Now thats no phantasy, thats a Fact.

FabulousJ
Jun 17, 2003, 07:21 PM
Nothing wrong with Humars - they're just so commonplace.
They're OK, but a little variety couldn't hurt...

Joe-Azlin
Jun 17, 2003, 11:19 PM
No offense to anyone, but I am going to use some words that were spoken by a genius in a movie (aka Tommy Lee Jones in Men in Black) "People are stupid, a human is smart, but people as a whole are stupid." I dont know if that is exactly how it goes, but I think you guys get the point from it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Murky_Death
Jun 18, 2003, 12:21 AM
On 2003-06-16 19:34, Frozt wrote:
HOLY CRAP! those are SOME BIG WORDS! jesus man I dont even know half of what those words meant..but I do know what ur getting at and I feel the same way and its just not u and bad luck there are some of those people who you probably will run into once a day Infact Im a big friggin mut in real life Im mainly an african ameircan but Im yellow mixed with hispanic and anglo(white) so sense im mixed with all these I show the same passion for each race, I think if the stero typing and racism is a big issue to you I encourage you not to play but I refuse to let people like that ruin the game.

lol yea don't choke on those words man. why don't you just quit being so serious and just accept it. who cares what other ppl's view on the social world is.

Slicer238
Jun 18, 2003, 12:40 AM
Wait wait wait let me get this straight your getting offended by people you have never met and your getting offended online. dude I don't mean to be mean but get over it getting offended is like sending up a flare sayign I get annoyed easily and you can make me leave with racist comments. seriously just get over with it its the "internet" In real life when you say a racial slur there a two outcomes a) you say it and get your ass whooped and b)you say it and you start running but then theres c)which you friends and yoru messign around but a and b sum it up.

Starseed
Jun 18, 2003, 09:05 AM
That is unfortunate. PSO society reflects our own... and yes there are some playing the game who are insecure or jealous, and feel the need to elevate themselves by putting others down.

Keep playing- PSO needs more players like you.

Mr_Hero
Jun 18, 2003, 09:58 AM
yup. there is this racist moron named bruce lee that runs around ships repeating the same crap over and over.

Frozencookies
Jun 18, 2003, 10:13 AM
Its all because most people who play PSO are 10 year old loser DBZ fanboys who have nothing better to do than belittle other races and such. If I were to meet some of those bastards on the street, well, you know... What I don't understand is, what the hell is the point of being a little immature jackass online? It just pisses people off and lowers their trust towards you. I'm sorry, but if someone else drops a rare, I ask before I take it. If they say, "no, I need that" I back off. That brings me to another point. Jackasses who take shit that you are trying to give to someone else. They should be shot in the kneecaps and be made to run 20 miles.

dropslash
Jun 18, 2003, 11:07 AM
Bruce Lee HK. HUmar. He's on Antares 8 right now.

Interesting choice of names for someone running around chanting racial slurs.

Coxy
Jun 18, 2003, 11:49 AM
please someone explain to me why the guy wants to pay god knows how much each month just so he can throw racial abuse about? it just doesnt make any sense............

fyrewyre
Jun 18, 2003, 12:13 PM
On 2003-06-18 09:49, Coxy wrote:
please someone explain to me why the guy wants to pay god knows how much each month just so he can throw racial abuse about? it just doesnt make any sense............

Because he lives in the hood, but is scared to go outside after a few comments about blacks(i would guess so) so hes pretty much a shut-in.

Akujin
Jun 19, 2003, 07:33 AM
I hate racist...and I hope no one cares I kick there asses whenever I get the chance...they just don't deserve to live in a society...

And YEAH! Asian girls are extremely hot! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Maki_Nomiya
Jun 20, 2003, 03:33 AM
I dont care about that racist ppl - -; much much much more on Dc , im spanish and i hear lot of things on USA ships only,a but i dont care.. is just ppl who guess is "big" 'cause internet u u;

But well.. that makes pso Special also.. is so "real" 'cause that : / u see all kind of persons

FabulousJ
Jun 20, 2003, 02:35 PM
lol yea don't choke on those words man. why don't you just quit being so serious and just accept it. who cares what other ppl's view on the social world is.

lol - OK, OK, this topic is rather staid. Besides I'm pretty much over it now - I've met more cool people than not over the past week, so I'm convinced.

Now its time to talk about the more important topic of the attractiveness of Asian women... http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Coxy
Jun 20, 2003, 02:38 PM
I'm all for that Fab http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

Monomate
Jun 20, 2003, 09:01 PM
On 2003-06-16 20:01, ransom wrote:
None of us have friends in real life.

Yes, Delsaber and I support positive stereo types: asian girls are the hottest things I've ever seen

... and mexicans can fly http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

i have friends in real life...but maybe that's cuz they all play PSO...

penguins can fly too!

Infested_Madcat
Jun 21, 2003, 10:56 PM
On 2003-06-19 05:33, Akujin wrote:
I hate racist...and I hope no one cares I kick there asses whenever I get the chance...they just don't deserve to live in a society...

And YEAH! Asian girls are extremely hot! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Racist ppl deserve to get there ass kicked every single day of there lives because there stupid. and i agree on the asian girls