PDA

View Full Version : Burnt DC..........anyone know how to transfer?

PowerSlave
Mar 14, 2001, 03:04 AM
This is pretty much just venting my frustration, as many other have done when losing your PSO characters, so ignore if you will.

Well, to all of you who I have played with over the past 180 hours, I will have to say "til we meet again" My DC died today, which would seem as no big deal, because for the $70 sega wants to repair it I could buy a new one for $99.
Then it hits me like freight train..........my PSO characters are gone, for good. I called sega and asked them if there was anything I could do to avoid losing my 200+ hours invested(I call it that because free time is precious to me as I dont get much with work and night classes) The tech tells me nope, I will have to start new characters and buy a new copy of the game. DIdnt they think about this when programming the game????? Shit happens I know, but wouldnt you have some sort of redundancy plan for you customers in the event of something like this happening?????? Im just pissed like many of you have been after losing characters. Im not sure if guild card files will transfer over, but I hope I will not lose touch with the cool people I have met over the past month and a half on PSO when I do make a new character.
Just wanted to vent a little, BTW does anyone know if can transfer guild card files to my new DC when I get one??? Or if theres some way of still having my characters off line on a new DC let me know. I appreciate it.

My characters
Maximus - Lvl 99 VIRIDIA
PowerSlave - Lvl 32 SKYLY

RIP

Hunter
Mar 14, 2001, 03:53 AM
just a thought... what if u pulled your modem from your old DC, and slapped it on the new one? and if 'by some miricle tech support staff becomes usefull, or has tools available' they can give you the 'synch' time to set on your new DC?.... i haven't come to your crossroad yet, "I THINK WE ALL WILL WITH THIS GAME" hehe 900+ hours? i don't think they thought of the DC being used like this.. i'm sure more time is put into this game then work alone. *AHeM* i excluded.

Ok back to what i was saying... taking your Modem and bringing it onto the new one i think might solve 1/2 the problem.. now just your internal memory on the DC would be the other issue.... provided settings are writtin on the modem memory instead of the DC's... ???

Broly
Mar 14, 2001, 04:18 AM
*knows the answer to this problem*
IM me and ill explain

forte
Mar 14, 2001, 04:25 AM
The Modem doesn't have anything to do with it, when you first loggon, it registers your serial code and access key to the serial number of your DC

f0rge
Mar 14, 2001, 04:52 AM
as long as your main board isnt shot, then you might still be in luck.

do you have any idea what is broken?
power supply?
laser?

as long as it's not the main board (or the cpu) that's shot you may be able to fix it. just buy a new dc from walmart and swap out the broken parts and it should work.

you should still be able to keep your current pso saves and serials

i've never done this with a dc, but it should work.

PowerSlave
Mar 14, 2001, 05:32 PM
Update

Just wanted to thank everyone for the help. I spoke to a supervisor at sega today and asked them about my problem. According to him, once I buy my new DC, they will issue me a new acess key and serial # for PSO. He also said my characters will still work. However I am not holding my breath on that one, and will believe it when I see it.
I also had a friend look at my DC, according to him the mother board/ system board on the bottom is fried.
If that is the case looks like Im up the proverbial creek with out a paddle.
Anyways thanks again all.

PS - Broly I sent you a private message via PSO world.

Random
Mar 14, 2001, 09:22 PM
I had the same thing happen to me recently.

My DC has been making this grinding, screaming noise for a few weeks now (drive motor i guess), and occasionally it won't load games and other assorted issues. I knew the day when it would just die would come soon, and I knew what that meant, new DC, my characters and 300+ hours gone.

2 nights ago I got the BSOD while it was loading returning to P2 from the dragon fight, and that was the end of my DC. It wouldn't load anything anymore.

I got a new DC, and seganet gave me a new access key, so I'm starting all over again. Unfortunately, characters are specific to each access key, so they won't work with a new one.

Oh well, I'm a redria now, so hopefully this time around i actually find a few rares. 300+ hours and my rarest find was S beats...

diospadre
Mar 15, 2001, 12:13 AM
if only gmscc would be useful and make a code that let you change your serial number on your save. but instead we get the code that ruins the concept of rare items completely. hooray.