PDA

View Full Version : what is a snapshot file like... on hexeditor-level?

rena-ko
Jun 17, 2003, 04:21 AM
hehe, my usb memcard came through the toll (+11 euro eu-taxes and toll, gah) today, right after i woke up and i started archiving my snapshot files.

hm, so far so bad, because they're in an internal format it seems.

some tips would be very nice - are they laid down in any picture format on memcard? can i just cut and paste on hex level to get them into pc-readable files somehow?

i'll try around with more snapshots later and also with png-files from minhiro and what people here uploaded via the proxy-solution (before you mention that, with my current set up this would have been even more expensive than buying 3 of these usb-cards). i hope i get them to work somehow...

anyway...
what's funny is that:
my first snapshot (ever) has lots of 00 at the end, and before that, even consists the names of all three charas that are on the picture (its from the lobby, lots of samecoloured areas).

the other two i made so far are full up to the last byte and don't even have the names.

proves one thing: its compressed data. i believe either gif or allready in png format (the later one would be more realistic, since most snapshots i've seen so far were this format)

so...
-anyone knows of a picture viewer that can get visible info out of raw data and view it (or even save it into another format)?

or...
-anyone could provide some interesting info about snapshot files?

thank you in advance m(_ _)m

rena-ko
Jun 17, 2003, 07:34 AM
current plan is as followed:
i'll cut off a byte and see if its viewable. if not, again, a byte off and so on and so forth.

problem is... which end to cut off... and how do i see that i've cut to far... well... i'll see...

i think, since the files that the card-program extracts are returnable, there are stored additional info in it, like original cube format name and so on.
i have to get rid of this new header, as well as of the cube-formats header and add a png-header maybe... hm... (sounds like it will take a long time to figure that out... hum...)

incognito32
Jun 17, 2003, 12:08 PM
On 2003-06-17 02:21, rena-ko wrote:
-anyone knows of a picture viewer that can get visible info out of raw data and view it (or even save it into another format)?

will irfanview not work?
http://www.irfanview.com

can convert from and to many formats, if you did not know.

sorry if no help.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime1.gif

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: incognito32 on 2003-06-17 10:10 ]</font>

BrokenHope
Jun 17, 2003, 01:40 PM
Um as far as i know pso proxy has support for usb memory card photo files, you just have to drag the file on to the pso proxy program when it is running.

Sai-Yuk
Jun 17, 2003, 04:38 PM
what's the header data for the file?

normally, that'll give clues as what the file is.
i think in most JPEG files you'll find the string JFIF for example.

rena-ko
Jun 18, 2003, 04:01 AM
@incognito
i tried xnview, my favorite pic viewer and its supporting tons of formats as well.
its just that in raw mode the screenshot save file is not really a picture file, its covered in one or more headers.

but i'll try it nonetheless, thanks for mention it ^-^

@broken hope
ohh! that would really help, i'll do that next time possible. thank you very much. m(_ _)m

@sai-yuk
shall i upload a raw file somewhere to for you to download? or mail it? no problem. i mean its exactly 120 KB and you could watch it in any hex editor...

but actually the header says:
GPOP8P..PSO_SCREEN....[several dots]....PSO EPISODE I & II............SNAPSHOT_FILE............then code starts...
(could be unicode... i'll try to view it japanese later, just for fun)

120 KB is pretty much for such a small thing... a minhiro png is around 50 KB... a jpeg just around 10-20 KB... maybe its bmp actually?... but that wouldnt explain why the one snapshot is shorter in used data (the 000 i mentioned) than the other two...

anyway, thank you all for your replies once again ^_^

adding:
yay, psoproxy worked finally, thank you very much for mention it ^_^ yahoo

>^o^)> ~i
<(^o^< ~can
>^o^)> ~snap
<(^o^< ~now
(^o^)/ ~yaaay!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rena-ko on 2003-06-18 03:08 ]</font>

Shimarisu
Jun 18, 2003, 10:21 PM
Hi, I'm stupid and know nothing about PCs.

How do you transfer this file exactly? I have a USB mem card too, I tried looking at the headers too and nothing. I just dled this proproxy program and I can't find much information on what is DOES exactly, can anyone help? I can't find help in the document on how to transfer picture files from USB.
I just want to transfer pictures to my PC. Thanks in advance for any advice.

- Shimarisu

rena-ko
Jun 19, 2003, 03:49 AM
install the program from floppy disk (which comes with the usb-memcard) - just use a zip program and copy all files into the folder of your choice.

when windows asks about drivers for the usb-memcard (when you first plug the card to your usb-port) you have to chose the folder where you installed the program to (theres a driver in there as well). then windows will recognize it correctly.

so, the exchange program should run and you can view memcards content and save it to hard disk.

next, you install the psoproxy (just copy all the files from that zip-file to a folder).

then you have to create a new folde named 'Snapshots' in the folder where the psoproxy program is.

now you just run psoproxy, drag and drop the snapshot file onto that window and a png-file should be created in the snapshots-folder.

voila ^_^

Shimarisu
Jun 19, 2003, 07:25 AM
Ah, thanks a lot. I think I am gonna go NUTS with this memcard today. Time to take pics of my friends.

- Shimarisu (still not duping one week after getting memcard, despite all the doomsayers that said I would end up doing so.)

rena-ko
Jun 19, 2003, 07:35 AM
^_^ np, have fun

and: having such a device doesnt make you a duper instantly. even if there are possibilities.

i for my part know that duping for myself or others would kill the game for me, thus i wont ever dupe, even if its just about little things like duplicating a selfmade mag at lvl 100 to get two different ones... no no! i will never do a thing like that!