PDA

View Full Version : WHAT IS THE BEST SYSTEM TO PLAY ON

THE_MERCENARY
Jun 17, 2003, 07:28 PM
WHAT SYSTEM IS THE FOR PLAYING PSO ON

satoshi1
Jun 17, 2003, 07:34 PM
GC and Xbox have the newest versions. If you want voice chat, go with Xbox. If you want a cheaper way to play the same game, go with Gamecube. They've got their advantages and disadvantages over eachother. Neither is better than the other, it's up to you.

Vars
Jun 17, 2003, 07:37 PM
definetly the cube, its the newest version, its cheaper than xbox, and it only had dupes so far, every other version is hacked to hell

rbf2000
Jun 17, 2003, 10:44 PM
How is gamecube cheaper than xbox? It's not really fair to count the extras. They both have the same monthly fee.

Anyways, I have xbox and GC versions and I prefer to play on the GC (and it's not because I already had a higher level char on the GC, I must have recreated the same FO 4 times...)

Either way, you can't really go wrong. Just pick the one you see first in the store.

sysreq
Jun 17, 2003, 10:58 PM
no memory card corruption on xbox

Joe-Azlin
Jun 17, 2003, 11:05 PM
I like GC, but I play offline so I havent really payed for anything except the system and the game(and yes I did buy the system for the game, but hey I think there are a few more people out there that did the same http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_lol.gif )

Nei3rd
Jun 18, 2003, 09:34 AM
Go with GC, it's got more online stuff than the Xbox, which I'm pretty peeved about. I mean how long will take ofr XBox to have a East Tower quest? RRRR! Must...refrain...from...ranting!!!

Duder_Cooter
Jun 18, 2003, 09:44 AM
Xbox all the way. I've played on all the systems. Xbox is faster and it also has the voice chat.

Sheik1
Jun 18, 2003, 05:21 PM
I voted on what I play on, GCN.

This is not really a fair question though...it is a matter of opinion, in my mind.

Incubus
Jun 19, 2003, 12:21 AM
XBox by far... theres no beating talking to your fellow team mates... and if you find an annoying person, thats why they came up with mute. Typing sucks, comparitivly speaking.

Sailor_V_64
Jun 19, 2003, 01:25 AM
Not only does typing suck

If you must type at least with xbox you've got that nice USB keyboard adapter. You can type at full speed instead of the slow speed you must type on the gc version or you'll sound like this " wnnje indi ojs ojikeo" GC Keyboard adapter (essplicaly the one datel is putting out) sucks almighty arse.

only thing gc has over xbox is the quests. but once xbox has those gc version will and always will be a peice of dog poo.

Night_Star
Jun 19, 2003, 01:56 AM
i think gamecube is better
who says that xbox has better graphics?
cause ive seen them, they are exactly the same
and anyways, i prefer typing

Neverwinter
Jun 19, 2003, 03:01 AM
GC is the best. Cant wait for EP III

rena-ko
Jun 19, 2003, 03:24 AM
with the cubeversion all servers are connected. thats all that counts for me.

Night_Star
Jun 19, 2003, 03:29 AM
Episode III is going to be the best!!!!!!

tennis_guy
Jun 19, 2003, 03:32 AM
crap, night star, your posting EVERYWHERE!!! hey check the off topic board, i posted on my post, and was commenting on A.G.E.

Atax
Jun 19, 2003, 04:27 AM
Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II Head-to-Head

http://insider.ign.com/articles/394/394305p1.html

For all you non-insiders, here's the closing comment:

Final Verdict
It's time to decide on the overall winner. Features went to GameCube, there was a tie for control, best audio, graphics and presentation went to Xbox. However, we don't think that PSO is all about visual or audio appeal. If it was, Sega wouldn't have gotten away with releasing scantly updated versions for both GCN and Xbox. What is important is the community experience.

For this reason, the decision is simple. The far superior communication makes PSO the absolute best it's been on Xbox. You may have to purchase Xbox Live in addition to the same monthly fee, but you have to purchase (even if only once) the broadband adapter on GameCube plus a keyboard. Either way, it's a big investment, and Xbox has all the options.

megamanx97
Jun 19, 2003, 05:06 AM
Lest we forget that little thing called a mod chip that everyone seems to be using these days

Though it might have good communication features, you'd think with Microsoft building it of all people, they could prevent cheating a little better

Come on, the damn security code was hacked by an MIT student

bunnysama
Jun 19, 2003, 06:21 AM
definity the cube. The only thing the x-box has going for it is the voice chat(which rarely works) and is very annoting, especially when a 12-14 year old little tard is running around swearing with that damn robot voice filter.

echo-2003
Jun 19, 2003, 09:00 AM
The Gamecube version all the way!!! Only thing xbox is good for is a litter box. Chatting is over rated.

Concerning what IGN said in Atax's post,what the hell are those xbox fanboys on anyway? There is NO difference in terms of graphics/sound/presentation/whatever BS they can think of with GC and xbox versions as far as I can see. ST only ported the thing over so I don't see the difference there. Not too mention there logic with the pricing scheme on the xbox being cheaper?? did i miss somthing with that?
These are Cdn prices since that is where I live

Xbox live = $70/year + $15/month + $70game = $320
Gamecube = $70game + $50/BBA + $15/month = $300

well looks to me the GC is the cheaper way to go, ofcourse these are NOT concrete numbers just educated guesses. Not to mention the cheaper online fees

Tetsuyo
Jun 19, 2003, 11:29 PM
xbox for the voice chat

MAGusZ87
Jun 20, 2003, 01:49 AM
i just voted GCN because i dispise Xbox >:P lol

Night_Star
Jun 20, 2003, 01:56 AM
is there something wrong with posting everywhere?
i like to post

BOmar
Jun 20, 2003, 07:50 AM
On 2003-06-18 23:25, Sailor_V_64 wrote:
gc version will and always will be a peice of dog poo.

YEY! It's another well educated fanboy! http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_nono.gif

I prefer the GC version as I like to play with other regions and I have yet to come across any obvious hacking.

Ness
Jun 20, 2003, 07:54 AM
I say go with the Xbox version because the cheating is alot lower and you have an easy way to communicate.

Doomed2k
Jun 20, 2003, 08:54 AM
Personally I like gamecube for the following reasons:
1. It is the least hacked
2. I prefer to type, at least then you understand the "speech deprived"
3. I think it has more items, (I'll have to check that later)
4. Overall i've looked at gamestop stores and the gamecube game was about $5 less than the Xbox.
5. This isn't really a reason but I like the GC game's box cover more than the Xboxs.
6. There is no number six.

Fonewm_Ged
Jun 20, 2003, 09:34 AM
XBox version hands down. I have made sooo many friends chatting to them! No annoying breaks in gameplay having to type stuff out, just chat with your mates and have fun.

I already have about 6 regulars I chat to, we have a laugh together, you can rarely have a laugh typing on the softkeyboard, its annoying and breaks up the gameplay.

I have played both versions and to be honest XBox is better because of voice chat and broadband capabilities. Gamecube may seem better but thats cos its been out longer and there is more downloadable content.

Fonewm_Ged
Jun 20, 2003, 09:35 AM
Ive notice no hacking on the XBox version yet! *Touch wood* but thats cos I am on the EU servers.

Hunter4life
Jun 20, 2003, 02:10 PM
The Gamecube version, mainly because of the controller, the typing, the quests, and the fact that i've played the xbox version for maybe 45 minutes at a friends as opposed to the 400 hours of GC.

M1ndTheory
Jun 20, 2003, 10:22 PM
WTF?

ok I have both versions, I really dont understand how GC is winning this... Does everyone enjoy playing on lonely servers and wasting time on the pop up chat? or is it the years it takes to actually set up a good connection and then the lagging that haunts you through out? is that what is great about the gamecube version?

man, for all the people that are pressed on supporting the GC version yall need to keep an open mind on Xbox...instead of resorting to fanboy bullshit...

The voice com is soooo much easier then the pop up chat (or spending 50+ on a keyboard)... If you ever play it you could never go back to typing. Xbox does have better resolutions, but I havent seen a difference.

basically what it all comes down to is are you willing to spend your money on XBL?

Because Xbox easily dominates the GC version, it's not even a contest.

peace

Ramsey
Jun 20, 2003, 11:10 PM
Gamecube is better because I really dont like people screaming in my ear I just like nice old typing. Plus you are paying more to play a game that has been hacked by an MIT Student since day 1. Plus All servers are linked in the GC version. And on top of that Xbox Live is required to play OFFLINE!!!
Come on the GC version has a better advantage. I like version 1 and 2 on the DC better ALMOST better than the Xbox version!!!
I have spoken.
-Ramsey

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2003, 12:36 AM
Just choose whatever version you prefer. There is no standard you can go by, because everyone's experience is different.

RedFox
Jun 21, 2003, 10:18 AM
i will be getting the uk Xbox PSO because i cant get hold of a US GC copy. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif

thats my one and only reason http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif

M1ndTheory
Jun 21, 2003, 10:46 AM
On 2003-06-20 22:36, ABDUR101 wrote:
Just choose whatever version you prefer. There is no standard you can go by, because everyone's experience is different.

It's not even like that...people always have to complicate shit. I'm sure if it were that simple almost everyone would be on the Xbox version but it's not. And most people that own both systems and prefer Gamecube only prefer it because they have a good character on it or whatever.

Blenjar
Jun 21, 2003, 11:37 AM
Xbox is better. NO worry about losing a character.

M1ndTheory
Jun 21, 2003, 04:43 PM
On 2003-06-21 09:37, Blenjar wrote:

Nope, my friend had corruption lost level 80,40,30,30 characters. I didn't think that could happen on Xbox's hardrive but it did, I suggest everyone that has PSOX and cares about their characters buy a memory card.

peace

ViRUS497
Jun 21, 2003, 04:47 PM
I think they are both equally great games. I am going with the XBOX version though because the Controller S reminds me so much of my Dreamcast controller...I had some great times on DC with many of my old friends. Also voice chat is cool and all, but eight year old kids screaming in the lobby sure can get annoying...

K9999
Jun 21, 2003, 05:26 PM
The only thing the x-box has going for it is the voice chat(which rarely works

What a stupid fanboi statement. The only reason the Gamecube is winning is because of retarded fanbois. I would much rather handle playing with friends on legit games than lose my character because of stupid glitches. The voice chat works great and im sick of using a keyboard to type from other MMORPGs i have played.

nine9nine
Jun 21, 2003, 07:39 PM
i love x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nine9nine on 2003-06-22 00:25 ]</font>

M1ndTheory
Jun 21, 2003, 07:52 PM
On 2003-06-21 17:39, nine9nine wrote:
Gamecube, and not even a second thought anymore.

I had hope for psox, until I played it for a week, realised content is extremely lacking, game is the same grapically but missing some effects on xbox? , content is already 6 months behind gc, xbox system is loud, big, ugly and buggy(i put a blanet over it so my friends wouldnt see it when they came over). The headset is annoying and uncomfortable, and is perfect for lazy, immature noobs/trouble makers, and also takes away from the creativity and overall atmosphere of the game. I meet cool people on the gc version as soon as i go anywhere thats not vega, on the psox i met 0 cool people - yes - 0 in a week.

People were straight up diks everywhere and endless high school locker room trash talk, it was painful.

Then I added up the extra costs, NO JP AND US SERVERS, linux and pc hacks, less support, corporate politics(MS and Sega???), sketchy future???(what happens if MS discontinues live in a few years for new system, now you got a pso that cant even be played offline???), then threw in the fact that i have to sign up for a microsoft network, which anyone with any computer sense knows is on big freakin pile of spam, spy ware and advertising.

and the choice was simple.

What does the Xbox noises or what it actually looks like matter?

Xbox could get all of the content the Gamecube has in one day worth of maitnence...

Taking away the atmosphere?
What atmosphere are you talking about...maybe the good ol times when you had to stop and open ballon chat and waste a minute for a 10 character message???

man don't even go into sketchy online futures, gamecube and nintendo dont stand a chance... Microsoft has a well put together network, that has close to 500,000 users and growing. Microsoft also happens to be one of the richest companies in the world.

Now nintendo? I remember how hard it was to actually find a adapter, Then when you do get one....you get to play with all 1,000 of Nintendo's online users,yay!

Thier are over 20 XBL games to date, and thier is one for Gamecube? and thier hasnt been another one announced?

Now thats sketchy to me.......

sigh....

dont understand people these days

Elvendar
Jun 21, 2003, 07:55 PM
I'm a gamecube player, and i'm going to say Xbox. Because, in theory, voice chat would be so fun. And I wouldn't have to mess around with memory cards. I have heard a lot of problems about it though. Oh well.

Blenjar
Jun 21, 2003, 08:34 PM
On 2003-06-21 14:43, M1ndTheory wrote:

On 2003-06-21 09:37, Blenjar wrote:

Nope, my friend had corruption lost level 80,40,30,30 characters. I didn't think that could happen on Xbox's hardrive but it did, I suggest everyone that has PSOX and cares about their characters buy a memory card.

peace

Your friend probably disconnected his self while saving.

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2003, 08:54 PM
Well if you're new to PSO in general, and aren't sure what version to get, are open to buying a new system if you don't already own both, etc. I say hang around the site, check out what both versions have to offer by the posters and information gathered on the site, and then make a decision.

If you know friends from the DC version and the majority of them are on one version, make the decision.

Why make it so complicated and stretched out? If you own a system and have to hide it from your friends, what the hell are you doing with it? Do what your "friends" say sway you that much that you'd hide a game system from them? Sheesh.

If I had paid for a system and enjoyed it, and a friend came over and started talking crap about it, their ass would be out my door with a well planted kick. I'm not going to hide something of mine just so they don't suddenly think I'm "lame" for owning it. Aye.

It comes down to every person, what they own, what they want, and if you let your friends sway you with what you purchase I guess you have to add that to your list of variables.

And first warning for this thread, keep system bashing out, fanboyish comments are not necessary nor welcome on a site dedicated to a game on multiplatforms. You're here for the game, no matter what system it's played on.

satoshi1
Jun 21, 2003, 09:08 PM
"The voice com is soooo much easier then the pop up chat (or spending 50+ on a keyboard)... "

I spent $15 on my adapter. I'm using a keyboard that was on another computer that is no longer used. It was cheap, but it's much better than "spending a minute to type out a 10 character message" (which is also false, before I got my KB adapter, I was able to spit out 15 characters in half a minute).

Although I'm a GC user, I said earlier to choose whichever system is best for you, and I still stand firm with that. But those darn fanboys (for BOTH systems!) are making this topic another console war topic. This should be locked or something before it gets out of hand, as if it hasn't already...

Xion810
Jun 21, 2003, 09:31 PM
Cube. By far.

Let's see:
Gamecube
149.99$ for the system
0$ for connecting to the internet
8.95$/mo for the HL (first month free)
50$ for the game.
1 yr of use: 200$+(8.95*12)=~309$

Xbox
~199.99$ for the system
25$ for the Xbox LIVE! starter kit
~20$/mo for the connection
8.95$/mo for the HL (first month free)
50$ for the game.
1 yr of use: 275$+(20*12)+(8.95*11)=275+240+99=614$!!

For half the cost you don't get voice chat. Is voice chat worth 300$?

nine9nine
Jun 21, 2003, 10:29 PM
i love x

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: nine9nine on 2003-06-22 00:42 ]</font>

ABDUR101
Jun 21, 2003, 11:30 PM
...I'm going to PM you with my reply to this, quite frankly I think you blew everything out of proportion and are somehow intimidated my by useless post count, considering my only comment made in your general direction was about friends influencing a system purchase.

Carry on > Everyone.

THE_MERCENARY
Jun 22, 2003, 11:48 AM
I agree with the polls gamecube and pso make the best team combo

THE_MERCENARY
Jun 22, 2003, 03:39 PM
and the bonus mini game which you are able to download are great and very addicting