PDA

View Full Version : Who would do this? *READ*

Spyle
Mar 14, 2001, 02:45 PM
With all the insane cheating/duping going on lately, I had given up playing this game.. I still feel an urge to play and was thinking of a way to enjoy the game again online without worrying of seeing every person I play with using a lvl 999 rare mag and spread needles/heaven punishments..

I know there are a lot of legit players out there still who probably didn't cheat/dupe in any way to get those rare items, but most likely traded for them with items they found. In the long run it's as bad as cheating because would that person really have traded the Twin Brand for lvl 10 grants if the Twin Brand was not duped or so common now? It's become very hard to play with people you really don't know well and trust them when trading items or just plain fighting with.

So who would do this?
<ul>
Start over. COMPLETELY
Put TG- in the front of your new characters name.
Obey the rules on the website. Things like no cheating/duping (duh =P)
[/list]
There would also be a section for banned TG players who have disobeyed the rules but still play with the TG in their name. And also a section for players under suspicion, other players would report this person as possibly cheating in some way.

Why start over and put TG in your name? Well if everyone doing this has TG in their name, imagine how easy it will be for you to trust them AND find players you can play with without expecting to see them decked out in duped items? It would be worth it if you ask me.

Of course this would be useless if only 10 people were willing to do it. So reply here with your answer/suggestions/comments and get your friends to do the same. If an amount large enough responds then I and some others will create this new site!

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Spyle on 2001-03-14 11:46 ]</font>

Socrates
Mar 14, 2001, 04:59 PM
Well, I don't know if I'd completely start over, but I'd certainly have no problem creating a new character with a "TG" in their name, or some such identifier like that.

RedVento
Mar 14, 2001, 05:09 PM
what happens if dupers read this and join TG.... then the whole system get corrupted...

pcmorris
Mar 14, 2001, 06:22 PM
There's always the risk in making a 'guild' type situation, and that risk is the grief players. Thieves can easily make a little character (if they have a spare vmu on hand without a character on it) and just put the two letters in the name, and 'claim' to be a friendly person, who at the first sign of good opportunity can stab you in the back and run off with whatever they can (grave robbers).

Then they find a way to transfer the stuff to a different character, remake their thief with a different name containing the guild 'logo' of sorts, and repeat the process if you haven't gotten their guild card, or just do this to another person in the guild.

Main reason why I have always avoided situations that require me to signify my alliance in my name, but that's just my paranoia. It's a nice thought, and even I would consider it, but just showing that even the strongest armor has a kink to be exploited, and more often than not, will be.

Socrates
Mar 14, 2001, 06:50 PM
Well, you have a very good point, but I'm not actually sure it would be that bad.

After all, you can't change the name of your character once created, so someone would have to specifically create one just to abuse the trust of the members. This is of course, possible, and would no doubt happen on occasion.

However, the overwhelming character flaw that links all these untrustworthy types is laziness. They are too lazy to get their own stuff, too lazy to acquire something to trade for what they need, etc.

I think very few of these sorts of people would go through all the trouible of creating a brand new character just to cheat a relatively small number of people out of their good... especially when that same laziness would mean they'd be more likely to just prey on the far, far larger pool of much easier subjects.

VulpesMundi
Mar 15, 2001, 12:05 PM
Overall this sounds like a nice idea, in theory. I find the rampant cheating to be a bit disheartening. My thought is why bother to play if one has to cheat to enjoy the game? Anyway, I'd be willing to give this guild a shot, and I'm sure a few of my friends would likewise. I don't really think it's necessary to put a specific identifier in one's name. What would be more worthwhile is simply to have a list on said website of all the players who haven't performed any violations of the guild code (the honorable), and also a list of all players who are known violators (the dishonorable). A group of trustworthy people will quickly learn how to watch each other's backs and warn others of suspicious activity... again, in theory. In practice, we can only hope that'll hold true.

Socrates
Mar 15, 2001, 03:18 PM
That's ture, but that's what one can do with PSOW. or any other website. But how many people fire up their old browser to check and see if "Bobby42" is a respectable member of a guild or community when they meet them online? The idea of having a descriptive tag in the name is so that you can tell at a glance, with relatively good assurance, that the person is reputable. The relative few that drop out of favor would be much easier to remember and keep track of.

One thing, though -- I might suggest something other than "TG" as the tag. "TG", especially on the internet, is shorthand for "transgendered". http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_wink.gif

Fargo
Mar 15, 2001, 06:17 PM
On the whole, this idea works. Even if some obnoxious moron uses the ID, the moment he/she/it steps out of line and causes grief, you tell the whole group via email - and hey! Instant ostrazisation!

However, if you're concerned about the True Gamer 'TG' - transgender mix-up, might I suggest:

PS (aka Phantasy Star - aka PLAYS STRAIGHT)

any better?

JTBKSC
Mar 15, 2001, 11:55 PM
A section for players under suspicion?! What a terrifying concept!

The last thing PSO needs is some wacky sort of neo-McCarthyism...

SHE'S A WITCH! BURN HER!! BURN HER!!!!!!

Mayi
Mar 16, 2001, 12:25 AM
That is why I am starting a clan of straight players, people will be in groups of people who use legit things and we will weed out the thieves and hackers. im still trying to gather support, if you want to know more or already want in, send me an e-mail at [email protected]

gKw-X
Mar 16, 2001, 12:31 AM
i personally think this is a good idea... the fact that people will make a character with the 'clan name' just to steal, does not matter... they would have to be high level to be trusted with big trades, which requires additional effort of cheating... and as was said, they are inherently lazy, and would likely not bother, or rarely do it... and i don't see a problem with a list of 'bad members'... as long as the person(s) running it are smart and listen to their "proven" users, the list should always be correct...

and, the page could keep a viewable list of all users who have SIGNED UP... this means, they signed up and gave their email, and replied to a confirmation email... so if you are online and unsure to trust someone, check if they are 'signed up', and that's a pretty good guarantee they're good... who's gonna go through the trouble of signing up with a real email just to steal an item?

now, i havn't been online yet (sadly) so maybe i'm missing something, but personally i would love to be in a group such as this... it's all the more fun playing such games with people you know and/or trust... when i do go online, i'm already planning on starting a brand new character, and if something like this exists i'd gladly sign up http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

TwiNCannoN
Mar 16, 2001, 12:41 AM
I myself would do this. With my force at least, not sure about my other 2 chars..

hehe , maybe have a secret chat symbol or something too ;) would definately be cool though, have the site passworded too for max security. Sucks something like this should/has to be done but ah well.

Carhartt
Mar 16, 2001, 02:37 AM
heck, I'll do it, even if it will be given up a lvl. 93 char. But my I suggest that it be made that the name is first followed by a hypen then PS this way are names are still important (example Dale-PS). and the email idea was great.

Flo
Mar 16, 2001, 06:56 AM
I agree with Socrates that many of the cheaters are motivated largely by laziness, but not all of them. I mean, heck, I'm sure lazy too http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif, but it doesn't mean I don't get all the enjoyment I need by playing fairly. I'm not sure if that (the laziness) alone would protect this idea from these tag-alongs. It's not that they only seek to thief things from people, but there's also a large number who only seek to antagonize people. Just look at all the craziness that's been happening in Puck 9 recently. Just because certain people wish to mess with the PSOW people, they go to extra effort. If they only have to create some bogus character, and if they have the ability to cheat it to some high level to make the appearance of being trustworthy, and they get to seriously mess with people who would get REALLY offended by this, then it would be even more incentive for them to do it.

I might be getting the quote wrong from another post about the Puck 9 happenings, but if I remember correctly, it went something along the lines of: "is it even fun to still play when you cheat?" repl: "because i get to piss off people like you."