PDA

View Full Version : WTF is Nintendo doing?

M1ndTheory
Jun 24, 2003, 07:50 PM
" Profits at the Kyoto-based company, which makes Pokemon and Super Mario games, totaled 67.3 billion yen (US$572 million) for the fiscal year ended March 31, down from 106 billion yen the previous year.

Sales totaled 504 billion yen (US$4.3 billion), down 9 percent from 555 billion yen, Nintendo said. Nintendo made 75 percent of its sales overseas.

Since going on sale in 2001, GameCube has taken a sound beating from PlayStation 2, the rival machine from Sony Corp (news - web sites)., which has emerged the global leader in the sector.
In addition to this, Nintendo is projecting further losses this coming year as the only thing that keeps it afloat is their GBA."

Now keep that in mind while you read Nintendo's top E3 games....

No order

Mario Kart DD
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
1080 Avalanche
Star Fox 2

Do these games show any effort in Nintendo's part to keep thier system alive......no

Im confused in thier stratedgy, They admit that gamecube is getting crushed by thier competitors. Then they say they are trying thier hardest to keep it alive, nice effort.

Wait, if keeping alive means releasing cheap bundles and over hyping this gay Gamecube to GBA connectivity thing....then thier doing a hell of a job.

But i aint gonna hate on Nintendo without hitting the fans...why is gamecube failing this badly? I think ill blame 25% of this on everyone else.

Ever since n64 the fanboys of nintendo have been complaing about not enough 3rd party games. Then when GC first came out Third party games kept it running for pretty much a year, after that year the same fanboys complained about Nintendo not releasing any big games....

Nintendo puts out Mario sunshine,Super Smash Bros,Pikmin,Wave race,Eternal Darkness,Metroid Prime,Star Fox adventures, Zelda WW....and now Nintendo is in a worse position then what it was in when GC first came out.

Im confused on what exactly a Nintendo fan wants? Gamecube has had decent third party support and great 1st party games....whats the dealio??????

Im even more confused in Nintendo's online plans... Adapters are non existant on store shelves, and the only game that supports the adapter is....PSO

What exactly were they thinking when they decided to put GC online? Here they are Nintendo an opprutnity to have huge success online, and the only game to speak for this is...pso?

I expeted Nintendo to have huge online announcements at E3, Mario kart online? Smash Bros online? mario tennis online? anything online?....and the only hardware put on display was the GBA player....

how fuckin pathetic of nintendo. NOBODY wants to play gba games on thier fucking cube, its gay and these "toys" are played out...how about releasing a few good gamecube games first...

Xbox gamers have Halo 2 to look forward to
ps2 gamers have Gran turismo 4 to look forward to
gamecube gamers have Mario Kart to look forward to????

wtf?

I lost all hope in Gamecube's future after this E3....how pathetic nintendo...

peace

Auronius
Jun 24, 2003, 08:33 PM
After last year, anything would seem like a let down. But look again at what's coming this year:

Mario Kart DD
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
1080 Avalanche
Star Fox 2

It's not Zelda, Metroid, and Mario, but it's nothing to scoff at.

But I completely agree about the online part. I want Mario Tennis or Mario Kart, ANYTHING. It's insanity for them to release a peripheral they are never going to support.

M1ndTheory
Jun 24, 2003, 08:39 PM
On 2003-06-24 18:33, Auronius wrote:
After last year, anything would seem like a let down. But look again at what's coming this year:

Mario Kart DD
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
1080 Avalanche
Star Fox 2

But I completely agree about the online part. I want Mario Tennis or Mario Kart, ANYTHING. It's insanity for them to release a peripheral they are never going to support.

I know they arent Zelda's or Metroids but they are somthing to scoff at. These games are "support games" , Nintendo should have released these during those long gaps of months we had to wait to get the "metroids" and the "zeldas".

I like the third party games more, Metal Gear twin snakes Im deeply interested in, and I think RE4 will be good as FF:CC. But Nintendo should have stepped it up, what the fuck have they been doing this past year?

Mizu
Jun 24, 2003, 09:11 PM
I've always liked nintendo over sony. That's why it was a hard choice once both Xbox and GameCube came out. I ended up looking at what both of them were planning in the future, and the most I was looking for was playing against other people around the world, Seeing Xbox with Xbox Live, and GC with nothing, I chose Xbox over it, and now I'm glad I did, PSO isn't the only addicting game

Lyphen3
Jun 24, 2003, 09:14 PM
Well, you can't help it. Nintendo seems to live in a little bubble where all they talk about is "being agressive" and all the do is push GBA-Cube connectivity that absolutely nobody cares about. I'm telling you, someone seriously needs to take out Nintendo's execs and have them replaced with someone who really knows how the marker works, and what gamers want.

Because right now, they're going totaly the wrong way.

LordCronai
Jun 24, 2003, 09:25 PM
Don't forget-instead of making Pokemon GCN a MMORPG or even online at all, which would have made a TON of money, they made another fucking stadium game.

Droxitr
Jun 24, 2003, 11:44 PM
I hope they know I would KILL for an online Smash brothers. Hell, with the new StarFox coming, I'd love an online multiplayer of that, too.

I HATED SFAdventures... I dunno why Namco is doing the new one, but it's closer to the way it's supposed to be, in my mind anyway.

Again, with the new Pikmin and it's cooperative mode. Why not stick it online? There are SO many games released already that have good concepts that could be made into amazing online games.

I'm all for an online Mario Kart, too. Gets lonely playing that by yourself REAL fast.

One last thought: with the GB Player, that even opens up possibility for online GBA games...

NINTENDO, I LOVE YOU, PULL YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS!

Edit: You think anyone would hire us as consultants or advisors?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Droxitr on 2003-06-24 21:46 ]</font>

pixelate
Jun 25, 2003, 12:15 AM
On 2003-06-24 18:39, M1ndTheory wrote:

On 2003-06-24 18:33, Auronius wrote:

Mario Kart DD
Pikmin 2
F-Zero GX
1080 Avalanche
Star Fox 2

I know they arent Zelda's or Metroids but they are somthing to scoff at. These games are "support games" , Nintendo should have released these during those long gaps of months we had to wait to get the "metroids" and the "zeldas".

And they're all remade, updated titles. Nothing original.

Reenee
Jun 25, 2003, 01:20 AM
Can't blame a company for not being assimiltionist.

Let 'em be and let 'em follow what they believe in. They follow their own road.

polishedweasel
Jun 25, 2003, 01:33 AM
I fear my beloved Nintendo is...fucked. For lack of a better term.

Dangerous55
Jun 25, 2003, 02:29 AM
Meh, the GameCube will fail, I said that months ago. I think it is also pretty clear the GC is a kiddy-aimed system.

Wewt
Jun 25, 2003, 05:52 AM
On 2003-06-24 23:33, polishedweasel wrote:
I fear my beloved Nintendo is...fucked. For lack of a better term.

Yep. Sad, isn't it?

Ness
Jun 25, 2003, 05:56 AM
Nintendo needs to branch out. I'm tired of seeing the same faces over and over again.

Jehosaphaty
Jun 25, 2003, 09:57 AM
yeah reptitivity is killing gamecube. that and i almost wish i woulda bought a ps2 rather than my cube. dont get me rong, i love pso, but thars a way better selection for ps2 and xbox. gamecube has gone all kiddy.

M1ndTheory
Jun 25, 2003, 10:32 AM
On 2003-06-25 00:29, Dangerous55 wrote:
Meh, the GameCube will fail, I said that months ago. I think it is also pretty clear the GC is a kiddy-aimed system.

I dont see what it matters, If all the games are rated E and there all great whats the problem?

And besides I can name atleast 20 gamecube games that are rated M

LordCronai
Jun 25, 2003, 11:47 AM
On 2003-06-25 08:32, M1ndTheory wrote:

Can you name 20 that both A. Are exclusive to GCN and B. Don't suck?

Ness
Jun 25, 2003, 11:53 AM

I dont see what it matters, If all the games are rated E and there all great whats the problem?

Since when were ESRB rating and game quality linked? Some of the best games I've ever played were rated "E". Or at that time, "GA" or "KA".

Lyphen3
Jun 25, 2003, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Diddy Kong Racing is one of my top 20 games. Ratings should matter (That game was K-A), people have to learn that, just because its M and you can kill stuff (GTA) doesn't mean it's the greatest game ever. I mean hell, back 10 years ago, everything was K-A.

That is what will ultimatly kill Nintendo, the fact that casual-gamers don't know any better. They're just following the flock and buying tons of stuff they know nothing about. I was at EB the other day and two idiot 12 year old wouldn't stop talking about how GTA: Vice City was the greatest game they've ever played. Sure, I liked GTA2, but these new ones are just using blood to buy audiences.

I at least respect Nintendo for not selling out.

M1ndTheory
Jun 25, 2003, 02:04 PM
On 2003-06-25 09:47, LordCronai wrote:

Can you name 20 that both A. Are exclusive to GCN and B. Don't suck?

No, but i invite you to try the same on any other console.....

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M1ndTheory on 2003-06-25 12:05 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M1ndTheory on 2003-06-25 12:05 ]</font>

Shadow2290
Jun 25, 2003, 06:08 PM
Oh yipee now both SEGA AND Nintendo are going 3rd party. I mind as well take a wiz on my gamecube.

Ness
Jun 25, 2003, 06:11 PM
On 2003-06-25 16:08, Shadow2290 wrote:
Oh yipee now both SEGA AND Nintendo are going 3rd party. I mind as well take a wiz on my gamecube.

Since when did anyone say that Nintendo is going third party. As long as they have the gBA, they will be fine.

MimirU
Jun 25, 2003, 08:41 PM
Yeh...the gameboys have always been a supporting block for nintendo..

Kid_Icarus
Jun 25, 2003, 08:51 PM
On 2003-06-25 16:11, Ness wrote:

On 2003-06-25 16:08, Shadow2290 wrote:

Since when did anyone say that Nintendo is going third party. As long as they have the gBA, they will be fine.

Until Sony releases thier handheld. Then it'll be a fight.

MimirU
Jun 25, 2003, 08:52 PM
sega tried that too..doesn't mean it'll work...*shoo's gamegear away*

Rudoku
Jun 25, 2003, 10:03 PM
On 2003-06-25 18:52, MimirU wrote:
sega tried that too..doesn't mean it'll work...*shoo's gamegear away*

So did Bandai, SNK, and Nokia is trying it now *Shoos Wonderswan, crys for Neo Geo Pocket, and burns N-Gage*

Wewt
Jun 25, 2003, 10:15 PM
On 2003-06-25 16:11, Ness wrote:

I remember reading an article about the gaming industry with the president of Nintendo of America. He said that Nintendo will bow out of the games industry if their home consoles division bows out.

You can't quote me on this though, because I can't remember where I read it.

Mystil
Jun 26, 2003, 07:07 AM
On 2003-06-25 18:41, MimirU wrote:

Not for very long if this keeps up. The GBA want be able to hold up Nintendo like this forever. They need to expand. Stop with the Mario/Zelda stuff and bring out some real stuff.

And I wish they stop making additions to thier new consoles that they are just gonna abandon. Like the BBA/DUA. They didn't even make a Keyboard! They little ports on the bottom of the GC..don't expect those to have real uses.

M1ndTheory
Jun 26, 2003, 11:25 AM
On 2003-06-26 05:07, Silhouette wrote:

On 2003-06-25 18:41, MimirU wrote:

Not for very long if this keeps up. The GBA want be able to hold up Nintendo like this forever. They need to expand. Stop with the Mario/Zelda stuff and bring out some real stuff.

Yes it will, do you know how many gba's have been sold?

mystic_knight
Jun 27, 2003, 02:38 PM
Even if Nintendo were to go third party, we would still get the games, which is what really matter. I mean let's be serious, N64 sucked too. Very few good games on it. There was Ocarina of Time, Smash Brothers, Mario 64...and uh...um....But anyway, Nintendo is here to stay. I agree that they need to work on their online support and quit trying to get me to use my GBA on my Cube, but trust me, Mario is one face you will see for the rest of your life.

Jkid
Jun 27, 2003, 03:33 PM
Here are some suggestions to Nintendo:
1.De-centralise your magazine and let it go third-party,like PSM or Xbox Official Magazine. I can hear it now: US Official Nintendo Magazine. But without the trademark lazy reviews
2.Remove Seal of Quality logos on your games and instaed put thm on first and 3rd party controllers,menmory cards,etc. It's more meaningful that way.
3.The website:Why not you guys fill all the info you have on your game pages (Manuals,info) instead of showing all to waste. (For proof go to nintendo's website and look for anygame and the links there are not working)
4.Promote more third party games on your console.
5.And if all else fails..ask your customers, they know more than what you think.
6.One more thing: Sony and Microsoft showed the world that online gaming is profitable. Just take a look on how Xbox Live's doing: They have over 350 thousand subcribers for petes sakes! You're making a big mistake.....

I believe in my opinion that Nintendo needs to wake up to the real world.

brillyfresh
Jun 28, 2003, 02:18 AM
my opinion about Nintendo is that they take forever to release their games after releasing their newest console, but when they do, they are phenomenal and outstanding in fun-factor, replay value, controls, a/v, the whole nine yards

Sony, on the other hand, puts out a few dozen mediocre games that get played hard, but once the thrill is gone, that game joins the pile of games never to be played again

that's been the case since N64 vs. PS1

i have faith that nintendo will hold on, until the next big thing comes along ....

Wewt
Jun 28, 2003, 06:04 AM
Nintendo hasn't really delivered their super-games, like they did in the N64 era.

Shadow2290
Jun 28, 2003, 09:13 AM
On 2003-06-28 00:18, brillyfresh wrote:
my opinion about Nintendo is that they take forever to release their games after releasing their newest console, but when they do, they are phenomenal and outstanding in fun-factor, replay value, controls, a/v, the whole nine yards

So did Sega but well look what happend to them *cough*.

brillyfresh
Jun 28, 2003, 12:32 PM
On 2003-06-28 07:13, Shadow2290 wrote:

On 2003-06-28 00:18, brillyfresh wrote:

So did Sega but well look what happend to them *cough*.

Sega hasn't had a good run of things since Genesis really ... it's too bad about Dreamcast too, because that system had so much potential ... from being able to play burned cds (which may have also been its downfall), to creating a wide selection of homebrew programs

the best thing about Dreamcast is the cds i have for it:

800+ NES roms
400+ SNES roms
400+ Genesis roms
virtually every Atari 2600 game

at least Sega still makes games, like that one online game for Gamecube .............

Wewt
Jun 28, 2003, 12:45 PM
The Dreamcast was almost my perfect console, it only missed Nintendo's touch. With games like PSO, Sonic Adventure, Soul Calibur, it was damn good console. Too bad SEGA had allowed the console to play regular CD's, it was a major downfall for it.

Dangerous55
Jun 29, 2003, 10:58 PM
On 2003-06-25 09:53, Ness wrote:

Since when were ESRB rating and game quality linked? Some of the best games I've ever played were rated "E". Or at that time, "GA" or "KA".

Oh sorry I forgot about this topic.

And I never said it was a bad thing that its a kiddy-console.

Lendri
Jul 3, 2003, 02:44 AM
I just want some quality RPGs, a shitload more of online games and some fucking sports games, namely soccer and golf. (Mario Golf will be sweet.)

Thats my two cents.

Shattered_weasel
Jul 3, 2003, 04:26 PM
You know what would really help Nintendo....is if they went into virtual reality. Yep who wouldn't buy that. Hey what has happened to all the talk about virtual reality anyway.

Wewt
Jul 3, 2003, 05:34 PM
On 2003-07-03 14:26, Shattered_weasel wrote:
You know what would really help Nintendo....is if they went into virtual reality. Yep who wouldn't buy that. Hey what has happened to all the talk about virtual reality anyway.

The Internet.

Bit
Jul 3, 2003, 09:35 PM
Personally, I don't see a problem with the games Nintendo are releasing. Perhaps I'm just old fashioned, but I love Zelda games. And with FF:CC coming out, I don't know why everyone is so up on giving up on Nintendo.

I'm an old diehard Nintendo Fan, and always will be. I remember back in the days of Super Nintendo. Now those were awesome games. Crono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, FF5. Hell, Super Mario World, and the Megaman X series were fun.

Just Because Nintendo may be a bit slow, doesn't mean that they will just die out. I'm for them all the way, and I'm sure many other people are as well.

Golden_Force
Jul 4, 2003, 08:14 AM
Though online games can be fun and profitable, look no further than PSO, they also have a large capability to be uterly stupid. Look at HALO for instance. Any N64 Bond game had better anything than HALO. Not to mention that XBox and PS2 do nothing more than pump out worthless game after worthless game with only a few good things coming in every now and then. There is nothing good on the XBox that you cannot get on the other two consoles better. And Squaresoft has been the one major supporter of Sony, and Square is coming back to Nintendo.

Yes, Nintendo may be in a slump right now and they may be fighting this fanatical online craze, which often does nothing to support the game itself.
Yes, I would like to see a bit more online support, like a Smash Bros Online.
But through and through, Nintendo does continue to release quality games with originality, instead of games that are becoming all too repetitive.