PDA

View Full Version : Normality

Wewt
Jun 25, 2003, 10:33 PM
What is it?

Seriously, what the fuck is it?

I've been told a few times in my life, that I am not "normal."

A couple of topics here have been talking about trends of some sort, so I decided to make this one. I am really sick of what people think is "normal", because they can't answer what "normal" is when I ask them.

What is a "normal" person to you? Define it.

Asuka_chan
Jun 25, 2003, 10:45 PM
Normal is whatever you are. If everyone was EXACTLY alike, it would be abnormal, wouldn't it? But if normal is whatever you are, then THAT would be normal too... hmmm... Anyways, that's my opinion. Everyone is normal, just the way they are.

Orange_Coconut
Jun 25, 2003, 10:54 PM
I know what you mean, like when people say:

"That's just WEIRD!"

Just remember, if anyone says that to you then ask why. They almost NEVER can come up with a good explaination for that one. Most of the time, if they do give an answer, it doesn't actually answer the question plus it's normally a half-witted thing to say.

http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_smile.gif

It just bothers me when people do such a thing. Be yourself, that's what I say. This limits one's unique personality, along with the fashion of today and all of the trends out there.

If you're not "in" you're "weird".

ABDUR101
Jun 25, 2003, 11:10 PM
It's a trick question, nothing is normal, because everything that is considered "normal" constantly changes, so whats normal today might be very abnormal tommorow.

I usually get told I'm not normal from family, but I just pack that in with the majority of the BS they spew that makes no sense, so it's ok, I'd rather NOT be normal, if they are the grading scale.

Guile
Jun 25, 2003, 11:24 PM
Al Gore....word

AgentNitz
Jun 26, 2003, 12:50 AM
what're you talking about?! we're all normal!!! right, right?!!!!! just like i've always been told, i'm unique... just like everyone else http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_razz.gif in all truth, i'd haveta agree with people here and add this little bit in: people are idiots! including myself most likely *shrugs* don't listen to people, heck, don't even listen to me, but listen to yourself! if it sounds "normal" then it's all good... unless it's a buncha rappies telling you to stop eating chicken or something...

phasma
Jun 26, 2003, 03:54 AM
hahaha sorry to stray off topic a little, but does anyone here write??

i get called weird because i do that a lot

HAHAHA BUTTTT!!! (dunnn dun da dunnn) i come off as a complete loud, crazed weirdo anyway

normality, as the people in question consider it, sucks utter hairified gorillaphant nutzz!!!

just be yourself dood, life's no fun if you're always putting up a front. i'd rather be anything but "normal" blaaaaaa... normality can lick my boot http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Dime
Jun 26, 2003, 04:54 AM
Normal is acting like the families on the Fox Family channel.

Wewt
Jun 26, 2003, 05:40 AM
On 2003-06-25 21:10, ABDUR101 wrote:
It's a trick question, nothing is normal, because everything that is considered "normal" constantly changes, so whats normal today might be very abnormal tommorow.
See, that's the thing. Things are constantly changing. Isn't "normal" supposed to be some sort of standard? Then why the fuck is it changing all the time?

On 2003-06-25 21:10, ABDUR101 wrote:
I usually get told I'm not normal from family, but I just pack that in with the majority of the BS they spew that makes no sense, so it's ok, I'd rather NOT be normal, if they are the grading scale.

I know what you're saying. I come from a very conservative and traditional Chinese family. They expect me to marry another Chinese girl, settle down, make babies for them, be successful with work. Screw that. I'm not even attracted to girls of my race.

I am always myself. I get people pissed off at me because I am myself too much, and don't keep my mouth shut. If you really believe I am "weird" or abnormal, or whatever, then you, my potentially former-friend can go to the equivalent of hell.

Mystil
Jun 26, 2003, 06:59 AM
On 2003-06-25 20:33, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
What is it?

Seriously, what the fuck is it?

A couple of topics here have been talking about trends of some sort, so I decided to make this one. I am really sick of what people think is "normal", because they can't answer what "normal" is when I ask them.

What is a "normal" person to you? Define it.

Tch...

Normal is what you consider yourself to be. Not what some close minded person considers you to be. In a black an white world, we're all the same. In reality, we are all unique. While it may not appear to the next person that you are 'normal' -if it is how you act/look/think that is normal.

Ever been asked to act normal?

That's a stupid question in itself. You can't act normal for you already are normal. The individual putting your normality in question just has to adjust to your ways.

ABDUR101
Jun 26, 2003, 03:33 PM
On 2003-06-26 03:40, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:
See, that's the thing. Things are constantly changing. Isn't "normal" supposed to be some sort of standard? Then why the fuck is it changing all the time?

But thats why it's a trick question. Standards change constantly. There are standards for how people dress, act and treat each other, and all through time they have constantly changed. The standard is just a mass of whatevers current, it's whatever is most defining at this time.

In other words, don't worry about it. Live your life, thats the norm.

I know what you're saying. I come from a very conservative and traditional Chinese family. They expect me to marry another Chinese girl, settle down, make babies for them, be successful with work. Screw that. I'm not even attracted to girls of my race.

I am always myself. I get people pissed off at me because I am myself too much, and don't keep my mouth shut. If you really believe I am "weird" or abnormal, or whatever, then you, my potentially former-friend can go to the equivalent of hell.

It's your life, take into consideration what others say, but ultimately you're the one cashing in on everything, and in the end if you look back on your life and have to think "Well, that was fucking worthless" then it's only you to blame for following suit.

In other words, don't let someone else live your life for you.

Kid_Icarus
Jun 26, 2003, 03:47 PM
There is no normalcy. Only what others percieve to be what they want the world to be.

LollipopLolita
Jun 26, 2003, 04:11 PM
hell if you really want to know, go get a dsm

http://www.psychologynet.org/dsm.html

Wewt
Jun 26, 2003, 05:06 PM
I don't worry about standards changing, or any of that. I worry about those that constantly want to be normal.

Oh, I definitely know that this is MY life. Ultimately, I will be the only person that will always be there for me, and I will be the one making decisions for my life.

Mystil
Jun 26, 2003, 09:12 PM
And that's your normality.

Vanango
Jun 27, 2003, 01:59 PM
Normal is questioning what is normal.

Normal is trying to be someone, anyone.

Normal is caring, normal is not caring, normal is pretending not to care.

Normal is breathing.

Normal is trying not to breath.

Normal is trying to fit in and it's trying to stand out to fit in.

Normal is what makes you happy, it's what makes you miserable, it's what makes you apathetic and crazy and indifferent and orgasmic and horny and depressed and mellow.

LollipopLolita
Jun 27, 2003, 02:05 PM
just do whatever you want, and why fuss about other people.

Kid_Icarus
Jun 27, 2003, 02:07 PM
Because some people need things to talk about or bitch about.

It's too hard to just ignore it sometimes I guess ~_-

mm typo. Delicious?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kid_Icarus on 2003-06-27 12:08 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Jun 27, 2003, 02:44 PM
well plus sometimes, often times, it makes the people who have realized this (though this has been realized and publicized millions of times) smarter or better because they have come up with that conclusion.

and as for the bithing part, makes people to bitch about other people who aren't as "smart" or as "enlightened" as they are.

Kid_Icarus
Jun 27, 2003, 03:32 PM
I'm not any more enlightened than any other schmuck and I don't pretend to be.

I don't give a fuck. Plain and simple. It's so easy to get wrapped up in how people see you, hell I did it for a year or so online.

Was it worth even thinking about? Hell no.

So I could give a shit less about how people see me.
And everyone gets to my point eventually. It just takes some time.

LollipopLolita
Jun 27, 2003, 06:13 PM
nah i wasn't talking about you, i was talking about other people. and i am too lazy to have people see my point. don't think i have one, too lazy to think one up.

Kid_Icarus
Jun 27, 2003, 06:21 PM
I know.

I could give a shit less though is all I'm saying

*gives lollipink a wedgie and runs*

edit fuck -_-

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Kid_Icarus on 2003-06-27 16:21 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Jun 27, 2003, 06:22 PM
dood

NO TOUCHY

Kid_Icarus
Jun 27, 2003, 06:24 PM
n_n YOU LIKED IT

*runs*

I could quote House Party 3 here because it's appropriate but I won't. Last off topic post I promise.

Mizu
Jun 27, 2003, 07:41 PM
Whats abnormal to me? hmmm .... 2 people that look the same, like the same things, even have the same personality, but aren't related in any way possible. Because everyone's different wich is normal.

rena-ko
Jun 28, 2003, 06:25 AM
thats easy...
i'm normal, you all are not...
or... was it the other way around?

no, honestly, being called 'not normal' is a big compliment, actually...

what most people consider normal is usually what you see on tv, i think... hm...

Daikarin
Jun 28, 2003, 07:38 AM
On 2003-06-25 20:33, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

Welcome to the group.

Normally people who don't call you normal are different people who don't respect those differences.

That's just it. There's no one completely "normal" on the world. Can you imagine if we all liked that soccer club, only listen to the kind of music and had the same hobbies? o_O

Droxitr
Jun 28, 2003, 02:36 PM
Looking over that linked site that sells a whole bunch of psychology books, I had a minor relevation.

Any given person, submitted to those tests, will most likely be 'proven' to have at least one mental disorder. So, every single person on earth is insane!

Yay!

But, thinking on the human condition, that's really the only way it could work, no?

Commas are fun.

LollipopLolita
Jun 28, 2003, 02:41 PM
On 2003-06-28 12:36, Droxitr wrote:
Any given person, submitted to those tests, will most likely be 'proven' to have at least one mental disorder. So, every single person on earth is insane!

wrong, that's just what people think. when it comes down to it, about 80% of the general population is mentally normal for their whole lifetime.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LollipopLolita on 2003-06-28 12:56 ]</font>

Droxitr
Jun 28, 2003, 10:26 PM
Then what is mentally normal?

Sorry, I just had to say (post) it. http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif

Ness
Jun 29, 2003, 05:48 PM
I say normal is when you are haelty physically, mentally, and emotionally.

ABDUR101
Jun 29, 2003, 06:09 PM
...and the norm for that is what Ness? o_O

Wewt
Jun 29, 2003, 06:37 PM
His reply is going to be interesting.

This is why I made this thread in the first place.

Droxitr
Jun 29, 2003, 07:02 PM
On 2003-06-29 16:37, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

You made this thread just so you could provoke Ness?

Cool!

LollipopLolita
Jun 29, 2003, 07:06 PM
oh stop thinking yourselves retarded

Wewt
Jun 29, 2003, 07:16 PM
No, I didn't. It's the fact that people believe there is a norm for the things he had mentioned.

Ness
Jun 29, 2003, 07:21 PM
On 2003-06-29 16:37, WWWWWWWWWWWW wrote:

Wow. I feel honored. If I had known you made this thread just for me, I would have replied earlier.

Here's what I define as Normal

Physically: No birth defects.

Mentally: No birth defects or disorders. Example: Mental retardation. Or learning disabilities.

Emotionally: Stable. No emotional disorders.

Now keep in mind that just because you're not normal doesn't mean that you are less of a person than anyone else.

*EDIT*

Thanks Lolita

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Ness on 2003-06-29 17:30 ]</font>

LollipopLolita
Jun 29, 2003, 07:24 PM
No emotional disorders such as OCD, Bi-Polarity, ADD, etc

those would be mental illnesses not emotional.

ABDUR101
Jun 29, 2003, 07:29 PM
Ness just described perfection, which by far is not normal.

Oh, and the thread wasn't for you Ness, he was referring to the back and forth issues of "What is considered Normal". o_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-06-29 17:30 ]</font>

Ness
Jun 29, 2003, 07:39 PM
On 2003-06-29 17:29, ABDUR101 wrote:
Ness just described perfection, which by far is not normal.

Oh, and the thread wasn't for you Ness, he was referring to the back and forth issues of "What is considered Normal". o_O

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ABDUR101 on 2003-06-29 17:30 ]</font>

Oh and just ruin all the fun http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif