PDA

View Full Version : Do you post on the fanfics you read?

Davion
Jun 27, 2003, 12:18 PM
Simple question: Do you or do you not post in the thread when you read a fic.

I'm saying this because over the course of the day after I posted my latest chapter, I got something close to 30 reads and only 5 posts. I've noticed this is the same for a lot of fics, and I just wanted to know how many user would say they post and say what they think.

EDIT: *Voted yes*

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Davion on 2003-06-27 10:19 ]</font>

Aurra
Jun 27, 2003, 06:48 PM
I do sometimes, if I really liked it or if someone PMs and requests feedback.

Vantamiath
Jun 28, 2003, 04:20 AM
On 2003-06-27 10:18, Davion wrote:

So you haven't read mine? =@

Yeah, I usually always post after I read someones fic...problem is I don't post until I'm caught up to the current chapter.

So it takes time.

Getintothegame
Jun 28, 2003, 04:24 AM
I read it, but I sometimes forget to hit the reply button and say what I think. I am usually out of fan works.

M_BlackHawk
Jun 28, 2003, 11:49 AM
When I actually have time to sit down and read a fafic, I like to leave some comments, thoughts, and helpful wisdom to the author.

However, my main problem is, now that I've got so many writing projects going on at the same time..and stuff going on in my life in general, I rarely have time to read a fanfic. ^_^

BTW: I just noticed something. My current fic, "Seek My Master" has got 44 reads, and only 4 replies. (That's not counting the chapter I posted earlier this week.)

later

M_BlackHawk

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: M_BlackHawk on 2003-06-28 11:14 ]</font>

Davion
Jun 28, 2003, 02:05 PM
On 2003-06-28 02:20, Vantamiath wrote:

On 2003-06-27 10:18, Davion wrote:

So you haven't read mine? =@

I have to say I haven't. I'm asked by a lot of people to read their fics, and I'm quite busy working through my fic and the fics I'm helping M_BlackHawk with. I have about 30 years of timeline to keep in order.

The next fic I have to read on my list is Yoda's. I'll give yours a read after that.

Hunter_Daigoyin
Jun 28, 2003, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I like to state what I like or don't like. I wish more people would. I know people have stated their fanfic view/reply stats, but I'll say mine is about 30+ views per chapter, but 1-2 replies. I'd like maybe three replies, but whatever.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Hunter_Daigoyin on 2003-06-28 17:06 ]</font>

Vantamiath
Jun 28, 2003, 08:32 PM
Im up to chapter 9 in your current fic Dav http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_biggrin.gif ...so I have a ways to go.

I'm also reading Duke's, Chibi's, and Meira's fics.

BWS-1
Jun 28, 2003, 09:13 PM
Yes, always, and you'll notice I haven't read much. But qhenever I find the time to read a fic, once I'm done reading what has been posted, I reply and comment about it.

Garanz2
Jun 29, 2003, 04:43 AM
I'm also reading Duke's, Chibi's, and Meira's fics.

Anyone (other than BOC) reading my fic? It's my 1st try but i dont think its that bad.

Nidarrock
Jun 29, 2003, 11:45 AM
I usually do. Depends on how "up to date" I am in the story. If I am too far back I may not, but if I am current I will always try to reply. I think repling is great, it helps to encourage and imporve my writing when I get them. Recently there is a lot of fan fics.

Sharkyland
Jun 30, 2003, 05:05 PM
Yeah, I post after I read a fanfic chapter (or an entire fanfic) unles PSOW is down for maintenance. I know a couple of times when I tried to post, it was down, then I forget to post.

M_BlackHawk
Jul 2, 2003, 08:43 PM
somehow I find it strange that I just checked and my fic has 60 reads..and 7 replies. 3 of them are from me..and 2 of THOSE are chapters.

We fic writers do enjoy getting some feedback on our works..and I know I'm as guilty as anyone else about not posting, which is something I'm trying to fix.

later

M_BlackHawk

LJ
Jul 6, 2003, 04:44 PM
Try havin a fanfic w/ 230 reads and 14 replies w/ 8 of those replies by me in the form of chapters.(one was an accidental double entry)

edit: said posts when meant reads sorry for confusion.

Another edit with a vote this time: Well for the most part i read fanfics to see how others format their fics cause doesnt look like im havin much succes with mine. I dont have anything to say to improve cuz im tryin to learn myself and i dont have anything to add to what ppl already say.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LJ on 2003-07-06 14:46 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: LJ on 2003-07-06 16:08 ]</font>

Nerd
Jul 7, 2003, 01:57 AM
I try to respond but sometimes i look at a fanfic and if it has MASSIVE chunks of text (with few paragraph breaks, etc.) i just wont read it--hurts my eyes.

Musashi_D
Jul 7, 2003, 02:56 AM
I know what ya mean, Davion. Believe me

Sharkyland
Jul 7, 2003, 05:05 PM
I just want to add a little something about my replies to fanfictions and stuff... I may not post suggestions and stuff (I might not flame unless one of my characters is used incorrectly but what you see in the character bank is just a generalization right now as I still define them as I try to write my own fanfiction).

What I like in a fanfiction:
- I do kinda like chapters that are a page long (typical MS Word, 12pt, Times New Roman, single spaced) though if you are used to writing in small pieces, my opinion should not hinder you. Sometimes I have problems reading it on the computer since so many other things distract me, so I copy and paste them to a word document and read it later on my spare time like when I need something to help me fall asleep (though I'm not going to read your fanfiction when I'm on the verge of sleeping, after of getting papercuts when I wake up http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/anime2.gif ).
- Easy to read (though this kinda discriminates against the advanced [read on, I'll tell you want it means] fanfiction writers). What do I mean advanced. I have a reading skill of a 4th grader (to give you an example, they say the newspapers today are suppose to be a skill of a 5th grader, and to tell you the truth, I have problem reading the paper). ^_^ Reading isn't one of my favorite hobbies, but if it involves stuff with stuff I like then I'm hooked. You've probably learned in school what are the dollar words or high grade words. I really dislike looking in the dictionary what the meaning is, but most of the time from the way people are writing, I understand the word a little bit more. THOUGH I haven't encountered any fanfiction like this yet.

What others would probably like to see in a fanfiction (GENERALIZATION):
- Stories that are different from the PSO story. I mean quests are acceptable from all the fanfics that I have been reading and probably going into part of the PSO story a bit like going into the caves, mines, etc to help the characters train isn't a bad idea as well. (THOUGH if you are already making it somewhat in tune of the PSO story, then I'm not 'isolating' you. Just keep writing, I'll read yours.)

My opinion on fanfiction:
- I think everyone has their own style of writing; therefore, I really don't know what's the best way of tweaking (ie, making it better) your fanfic. I see some spelling mistakes now and then but that doesn't hinder my reading abilities, but sometimes people forget to capitalize some names and I think it's part of the sentence only to get lost. I'm of a type of guy that is like "Hey if you understand me and I understand you then all is good."

I'm slowly reading people's fanfictions one by one and I'll try to post after I read a chapter though if I haven't been reading for a while or I missed your fanfiction don't hesitate to PM me though I might be playing PSO (since two of my memory cards were wiped) or busy with life. So far with all the fanfictions that I have read, all the writers are doing a great job. Keep up the good work!!

---

*** Wishes there was some forum post that says... user, fanfiction title, chapter 7; (another fanfiction title, epilouge). Last updated like around this time for example

Sharkyland - Unknown fanfiction (chapter 11)+; I'm on Ragol, Where Are You (chapter 1, w/ MisterRabbit) (Last Updated: January 15, 2003)

It's just a suggestion, and no I don't have an 'unknown fanfiction' or 'I'm on Ragol Where Are You'. It would be nice to the people reading the fanfiction because they would print it and then check which fanfictions have been updated. The (+) indicates which fanfiction was updated last. Sorry, MisterRabbit if that's a real handle that you're using, but that just tell people that you are doing it with the co-author, MisterRabbit. [Though I think the moderators would go nuts just doing this everyone's updating their fanfiction almost like everyday sometimes.]

---

Today was brought to you by the letter "U" and the word "though". And the phrase "Doesn't writer's block suck?"

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Sharkyland on 2003-07-07 15:39 ]</font>

Sharkyland
Jul 7, 2003, 05:20 PM
Garanz2: Anyone (other than BOC) reading my fic? It's my 1st try but i dont think its that bad.

You used to have a several of them don't you? Though the fic that you are posting is actually the combination of your fanfictions, correct?

Garanz2
Jul 8, 2003, 06:00 AM
Not really sharky. I evolved my 1st one. I explained in my PM if you've got it.

RubyEclipse
Jul 8, 2003, 11:52 AM
Hm...very interesting, and much needed, topic. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Davion has the largest number of views and replies of any fanfic in this board, and I'd like to congratulate you on that feat alone!

And, as a fic writer myself, I know what its like to get 300 views and 25 replies.

However: This is my philosphy. Replies are nice, in fact they're great, but...

...Whenever someone looks at that story, and reads that story, that is enough for me. It doesn't matter if they posted anything, just so that they actually took the time to read it...I don't see any better prize than that.

I don't know what everyone else's goals in writing are, but mine is certainly not the amount of replies I get. Personally, even just a single view is enough for me.

M_BlackHawk
Jul 8, 2003, 04:01 PM
Personally, I write my fics to tell a story. One that's been in my mind since I created the first 2 of my characters, over 7 years ago. I'm finally fleshing out the details of their lives, and I want to be able to tell that story well.

That's where replies to my fic threads come in. I welcome opinions from people, and constructive criticism. I'm always looking for ways to improve my writings, and how I tell the story of the lives and times of the BlackHawk family, because theirs is a very long, and very involved tale. (I think I've got about 10 or so sub-directories of fics in my fanfic directory on my HD right now.) Working with Davion has helped me a lot in improving my writing, and in helping to really learn more about the world around these characters.

I'm not looking for replies just for bumps to my fic threads. Dammit, I can do that myself. I just want to know that there are those who are actually enjoying the tale I'm telling, and to hear the opinions of those with some suggestions to make on where I can improve my storytelling.

That's just my 2 meseta worth.

later

M_BlackHawk

LJ
Jul 9, 2003, 04:44 PM
On 2003-07-08 14:01, M_BlackHawk wrote:
Personally, I write my fics to tell a story. One that's been in my mind since I created the first 2 of my characters, over 7 years ago. I'm finally fleshing out the details of their lives, and I want to be able to tell that story well.

That's where replies to my fic threads come in. I welcome opinions from people, and constructive criticism. I'm always looking for ways to improve my writings, and how I tell the story of the lives and times of the BlackHawk family, because theirs is a very long, and very involved tale. (I think I've got about 10 or so sub-directories of fics in my fanfic directory on my HD right now.) Working with Davion has helped me a lot in improving my writing, and in helping to really learn more about the world around these characters.

I'm not looking for replies just for bumps to my fic threads. Dammit, I can do that myself. I just want to know that there are those who are actually enjoying the tale I'm telling, and to hear the opinions of those with some suggestions to make on where I can improve my storytelling.

That's just my 2 meseta worth.

later

M_BlackHawk

I agree w/ M_Blackhawk. I come back to see if there are any replies on my fanfic and nuttin at all. I see 243 views and 15 replies only? About 9 of them being mine? I begin to think i'm writing for only myself. Shoot if that's the case then i can just create the story in my head and not waste time typing it up. I mean I enjoy the fact that ppl look at it and possibly read it but I mean come on i'd like some feed back. Just a lil bit would make me happy. sheesh

LadyRedComet
Jul 13, 2003, 09:12 PM
I know what you mean...I was paging through the threads, wondering if it would be worth it to type up my ideas and post them, but no one gives feedback. Am I the only one who thinks it's proper etiquette to give some sort of feedback on the fanfics I read, whether it's good, bad, or indifferent? Not that I've read many fanfics here, but I try to reply with useful comments when I do read them.