PDA

View Full Version : memory corruption, dial up knocking me off line, and a conce

ValiusTrigger
Jun 28, 2003, 04:34 PM
I am one of the few lucky people that have not experienced memory corruption, but……
That doesn’t mean I don’t fear it!
I would like to know the following things

1st When it say’s that your data is corrupted and it has to delete your file, and you have to push yes before it deletes it, has anyone just tried to turn the power off and keep it from delete your delicate file and then reload it?

2nd (when using a dial up modem) Is there anyway to keep it from knocking you off line when someone calls?!!

3rd From 1% to a 100% what are the chance of me getting my memory corrupted if I stay in places with low people count?

4th is sega doing anything about this?!

That’s all thank you!!

Jason
Jun 28, 2003, 05:02 PM
I would like to know a lot more of this too.

Joe-Azlin
Jun 28, 2003, 05:08 PM
Well I can answer one of the questions. No, Sega will not do anything about it. They dont give a crap as long as they get payed.

Jehosaphaty
Jun 28, 2003, 05:20 PM
as far as number three goes, if u keep a low profile in places less populated, ur chances are drastically lowerd. however, theres always tha chance that a random bad apple will pick the place ur in so ur never completly safe.

for number four, naw sega might fix somthing here or there, but as long as their gettin paid and overall things arent too bad, dont look for much help.

ValiusTrigger
Jun 28, 2003, 06:43 PM
Thax guys

I take it the phone thing is a no but no one knows about the 1st question.

satoshi1
Jun 28, 2003, 06:45 PM
Yes, you can turn off the cube when it's asking you to delete the files. When it's telling you about it, just power off. It won't harm them in anyway.

Dime
Jun 28, 2003, 06:50 PM
First off Sega will never do anything about it. They don't see it as a big enough problem, fact is, we bought the game. If we play HL that's like frosting on the cake for Sega.

Benoit
Jun 28, 2003, 07:03 PM
http://www.pso-world.com/viewtopic.php?topic=55776&forum=3&3

jonny-5
Jun 28, 2003, 07:20 PM
There is always about a 3-5% chance you can get corrupted Online.. Those chances rise with a 56k connection, and those chances go even higher in highly populated lobbies and ships. Just stay away from highly populated places, and use Official Memory Cards and that is about the best you can do to avoid corruption.

TheDeepForce_5
Jun 28, 2003, 11:57 PM
Yes you will always be knocked offline if someone calls. Same with Dial-Up on a computer, laptop, cell phone, etc. it uses a land phone line, and since two lines can't be balanced on a normal phone line the incoming one bumps off the current line. Also, going in low populated places may help, but I've heard from a good number of people, that FSOD is not only caused by heavily populated places, but just problems within the Gamecube itself and the Modem and BBA adapter. So its more of a random thing. Also on the corruption screen no matter what you do or if you come back later you still ARE corrupted. Sometimes deleting the guild card file can save you but sometimes not. Basically corruption is a very random thing.

Benoit
Jun 28, 2003, 11:58 PM
Having your connection by ICS or a router also helps prevent FSOD.

Reenee
Jun 29, 2003, 01:14 AM
I'm using dial-up, and I do have call waiting, but I've done nothing to dial-up in a special way and the closest thing I get to knowing somebody has called is a long lag period that lasts about 30 seconds.

Dime
Jun 29, 2003, 01:21 AM
On 2003-06-28 17:20, jonny-5 wrote:
There is always about a 3-5%

Bullshit.

I've joined and made hundreds of games on full Antares 8 and I'm fine. The chances for corruption out of the blue are under 1%.

Gramudo
Jun 29, 2003, 03:57 AM
Well i had the same problem with getting kicked off when somone calls but since i got call waiting i just went to my connection settings and made it dial *70, before the connection #. If you wondering what that does it just stops incomming calls...worked for me. Now they just get a busy signal.

FoMarsRock419
Jun 29, 2003, 04:23 PM
actually,there is a chance that u can get corrupted out of the blue.Not great,but,when i was a level 20 RAcast,i got corrupted.

Ive never been online for PSO,and i have an official memory card.

So,there.No bullshit.

jonny-5
Jun 29, 2003, 06:01 PM
Ya there is no bullshit... I have corrupted on bba three times by doing nothing but loggin in. There is no bullshit about it. If you have a modem those chances increase even more.

jonny-5
Jun 29, 2003, 06:03 PM
The chances might be 2-3 % but it s defintitely not under 1%...

ValiusTrigger
Jul 6, 2003, 07:22 AM
*70?! THANKZ!!!!

Muku6
Jul 6, 2003, 01:51 PM
Yes, *70 works. I used it when playing PSO on my DreamCast with dialup and even when playing PSO on my Cube with dialup, before I got the router to hook up with broadband. It does work and does keep incoming calls out.

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 6, 2003, 05:18 PM
I to have dail up never corrupt what is your IP?

THE_MERCENARY
Jul 6, 2003, 05:23 PM
i think the modems corrupt less because with my phone if a call is losing single it disconnects so if the severs start to slow i disconnect and never corrupt

Monomate
Jul 6, 2003, 07:58 PM
On 2003-06-28 14:34, ValiusTrigger wrote:

1st When it say?s that your data is corrupted and it has to delete your file, and you have to push yes before it deletes it, has anyone just tried to turn the power off and keep it from delete your delicate file and then reload it?

yes! i have tried this! it worked and i was greatly relieved. However maybe a month later, it happened again, and i did not experience such success...http://www.pso-world.com/psoworld/images/phpbb/icons/smiles/icon_frown.gif but i still keep my data anyway...in hopes that maybe one day...it will return...and i shall prosper once more...

Monomate
Jul 6, 2003, 08:02 PM
On 2003-06-29 14:23, FoMarsRock419 wrote:
actually,there is a chance that u can get corrupted out of the blue.Not great,but,when i was a level 20 RAcast,i got corrupted.

Ive never been online for PSO,and i have an official memory card.

So,there.No bullshit.

yeah...my original char corrupted twice and i used an official Nintendo 251 card, and im offline only so its quite possible.

toosmart4U9078
Jul 6, 2003, 11:27 PM
actually my friend had that (memory corruption) happen 2 him while i was over at his house, and we then turned off the gc, and then when we turned it back on it was fine, so idk maybe turning it off and turning it back on, fixes it

toosmart4U9078
Jul 6, 2003, 11:36 PM
from what i'm aware of the best way 2 avoid corruption, is in the following ways 1. use only an official nintendo memory card 2. use 64k 1's, or w/e the smaller 1 is, the bigger the memory card the more corruption 3. avoid places with alot of ppl 4. i heard the vega server has a lot of bad ppl, so avoid vega, and thats all i can remember, and going online doesn't mean u have a chance of corruption, usually its if u get kicked off while its saving, or if u turn off the power while its saving, so the best the best time 2 turn off the gc is when u get 2 the title screen when its saying press start, and then wait 5 sec then turn off the power, i've done this stuff and i've had pso since nov. and i've never had corruption

rhymmney
Jul 9, 2003, 11:41 AM
Ok.. just to let you guys know what i have lost... first corruption i lost (176, 142, 121, 45). Second time i lost (121, 81,43,22). Both these times i Knew i was corrupted when entering a room in the dreadful vega ship and freezing during the double save. I too have tried all these things you guys have mentioned. Deleting guild card files, turning Gc off and on, pulling mem card out and reinserting quickly, etc. Nothing has worked. Plain and simple. If you see the saving icon on ur screen and hear the infamous buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise ur done. Stick a fork in ur mem card its over. The only fixes or prevention to corruption is a way to back up ur chars. I have sinced done some research and found a way to backup ur char files. I although cant say what the object is that i am using. It is a product from japan that can be ordered online. This is all i can say because it is not a product made by GC or pso. The first corruption i didnt even bother to contact customer support. The last time i talked to customer support was during dc ver of pso. I experienced stolen access numbers (which is no way possible but SOMEHOW happened). Customer service at this time told me to "Move on". I was extremely p oed and lucky i couldnt reach through the phone or i would be in jail right now. Anyway guys i express my condolences to all the RIP chars out there.. its hard.. its like ive been playin since november, payed 72 bucks for HL and all i have to show for it right now is a Level 1 char. I have even chatted with friends who are attorneys about the issue of poor service from GC. I dont know whether the CORRUPTION issue can be fixed by PSO or GC staff but either way it needs to be remedied before ver 3.

rhymmney
Jul 9, 2003, 11:47 AM
Ok.. just to let you guys know what i have lost... first corruption i lost (176, 142, 121, 45). Second time i lost (121, 81,43,22). Both these times i Knew i was corrupted when entering a room in the dreadful vega ship and freezing during the double save. I too have tried all these things you guys have mentioned. Deleting guild card files, turning Gc off and on, pulling mem card out and reinserting quickly, etc. Nothing has worked. Plain and simple. If you see the saving icon on ur screen and hear the infamous buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noise ur done. Stick a fork in ur mem card its over. The only fixes or prevention to corruption is a way to back up ur chars. I have sinced done some research and found a way to backup ur char files. I although cant say what the object is that i am using. It is a product from japan that can be ordered online. This is all i can say because it is not a product made by GC or pso. The first corruption i didnt even bother to contact customer support. The last time i talked to customer support was during dc ver of pso. I experienced stolen access numbers (which is no way possible but SOMEHOW happened). Customer service at this time told me to "Move on". I was extremely p oed and lucky i couldnt reach through the phone or i would be in jail right now. Anyway guys i express my condolences to all the RIP chars out there.. its hard.. its like ive been playin since november, payed 72 bucks for HL and all i have to show for it right now is a Level 1 char. I have even chatted with friends who are attorneys about the issue of poor service from GC. I dont know whether the CORRUPTION issue can be fixed by PSO or GC staff but either way it needs to be remedied before ver 3.